Macy's

2.0

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Holiday Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Very basic interview, quick and simple. It only took about 7-10 minutes before I was offered a position. Questions were what I expected after reviewing Glass Door.
    Questions were about things like making initial contact with customer, if I ever saw anyone doing something unethical and how I handled it, and how to make add-on sales.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions due to my experience in sales.   Answer Question
    Pay was non negotiable for seasonal help.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online got an email to pick my interview time. I came a few minutes early, about 15m, and they said that there was a metting and come back at the exact time, I just walked around the store. The interview was with the head of one of the departments, and it seemed like it went very well.

Macy's Colonie Center Holiday Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colonie, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

The hiring process began with me answering an online job advertisement for a Holiday Retail Sales Associate with Macy's at their Colonie Center location. I received an immediate auto-response from a mail wizard that confirmed the submission, which consisted of the generic job application questions and information. I then received an e-mail three days later that indicated I was invited to attend a hiring event that took place over the coming days and was asked to schedule an interview from a pool of times. I selected a time and received another auto-response confirming my interview and providing directions and instructions.

I met with a hiring manager at the mall location who was also a temp employee. She revealed to me that she had a list of 9 standardized questions from which to gather information about my fit for the openings. The woman literally asked the same questions others have included in their reviews; therefore, I will not include them again. If you'd like to know what will be asked please read some of the preceding reviews.

Based on my answers to the questions - keep in mind I have zero retail experience - I was offered a job right there. I graciously accepted the offer and scheduled a day to complete my 8-hour training.

I need to bring my passport - you could use a license and social security card, too - and my direct deposit info to training with me. They will be used for the tax paperwork and identity verification. And the woman told me that all associates self-schedule, meaning that no hours are assigned to you. Each associate logs on to the system and selects from open shifts. The following 14-day period is available, nothing further out.

Interview Questions
    • There were no surprises here. Read the reviews above and memorize responses to the nine questions and you'll do fine.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was offered the job at a pay rate of $8/hour, but only after the initial 8-hour training session was completed at minimum wage. I got the feeling that my performance during the holidays will help me secure a greater wage if I am hired on permanently after January of next year, however.

Sales Associate In Macy's Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colonie, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Applied online, sent email to arrange an interview at my own convenience which was very handy. 1:1 interview with an HR rep. Read questions from a script and took notes for my answers. Said there were no positions available in any of the departments but put me in the "Yes" category for future hiring. But why advertise positions if there were no positions at the time ?

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you had to promote or sell something.   Answer Question

Department Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

I applied online, 24 hours later I received an email requesting that I log onto their website and schedule an interview. The interview was pretty easy and laid back. Very simple interview questions about work ethics, performance, and experience. After she asked me the basic interview questions, she went on and did a psychological test. I had to answer questions like "In your opinion, what makes a great employee?". After the psychological test, she left the office for about 5 minutes and came back offering me the position. I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • In your opinion, what makes a great employee?   View Answer

Sale Commission Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colonie, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in July 2011.

Interviewed with a department manager. She asked basic questions about why I would want to work at Macy's, when I have worked in a team, how I deal with difficult or angry customers. She seemed enthusiastic, answered my questions, then made me an offer to work in Handbags instead of Menswear. I accepted, even though it wasn't a commissioned position, which is what I had interviewed for. The next day she called me at home and told me that the position in Handbags wasn't open after all, and asked if I would work in Lingerie instead. I wasn't thrilled with that, but accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to work in a team.   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Macy's?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation for salary at Macy's. Take it or leave it. Eight dollars an hour for fulltime sales associates, with no commission - yet you are given a sales goal to meet, as if you were a commissioned employee.