Macy's Beauty Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's (Riverside, CA).

Interview

The process was rather fast. She asked me why I wanted to work for the company while walking to the interviewing room. She also asked about availability.I felt like the interview process was more of a fast pace. I think she looked at my previous experience and thought I would be a good candidate. I still have to interview with the brand although she gave me to brand options. From there I am supposed to interview with the talent plus?

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you lead a team what did you do what was the outcome? How do you feel about touching peoples faces? How would you sell me a Macys credit card? How would you make customers come back to you? How would you sell a specific product to me and have it in my basket to take home?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's (El Paso, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online though Macy's website. After a couple of days I received a phone call and an e-mail letting me know that I had to make an appointment for an interview. I had originally applied for a full-time position, but once I was there they told me they only had a part-time available.The interviewer was very friendly, he took notes while I answered what he had to ask. The interview was pretty quick, it lasted about 30 min. The interviewer said they would contact me in 72 hours to let me know what was next.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage change? Tell me about a time you worked as a team and what was the outcome. What was your role? How would you sell the Macy's card? How are you going to make customers come back to you? How do you know when it's time to stop working on the details? Tell me about a time you sold a novel idea and how was is received. How do you feel about appling makeup on somebody else's face?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview the next day. I liked being able to schedule my own interview, it's a lot more efficient than waiting around days or weeks for a call back. I went in for my interview the following week. I met with one of the department managers who was very friendly and made conversation with me. She asked a few basic interview questions, but mostly about my experience with Macy's/the cosmetic counters, and about myself. She complimented me even! Next, she told me to come back in 15 minutes to meet with the counter manager who was on her break. The counter manager was friendly as well and made me feel like I was her equal. She told me a lot about the company and asked me a few similar questions. The in-person interview wasn't too extensive, but the following phone interview I had with Estee Lauder was. After I did that, I received a call from the account manager of the brand I would be selling for. She was also very friendly and upbeat and told me everything I should know about the job before starting. She also told me more about my phone interview results, which I did very well on apparently. A few hours later, I received a phone call from HR offering me the job! The pay is decent for a part-time job. Quite a bit more than minimum wage, plus bonus pay for hitting sales goals! I go in to fill out paper work in a couple of days. You don't necessarily need retail experience when working for one of Macy's cosmetic counter positions. I recommend doing some research before the phone interview, it's immensely helpful. Stay positive and answer their questions with certainty, don't hesitate. Confidence is key!

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Why do you want to work for Macy's/Origins? Describe a time in which you worked as a part of a team? What was your role? What was the outcome? Are you good at handling difficult situations? Give an example of a difficult situation and what you did to overcome it. Would you sell products based on knowledge or experience? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? Which is more important: customer service or reaching sales goals?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Short. Got to the human resources office, waited 20 minutes for my interviewer to come. She got there, we went to an office. Asked me 4 questions and told me she would call me on Friday. No eye contact and was rushing.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I was emailed to schedule an interview about two days after applying. The interview process was relatively short no hard questions. The cosmetics manager was very serious about how they needed someone to atleast commit a year to the company.

Interview Questions

• What kind of makeup are you wearing?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Citrus Heights, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Citrus Heights, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I have ever had. The interviewer never once looked me in the eye, until she scolded me for suggesting that customers can apply for a credit card online, which they CAN. There was a stack of boxes in between us and her eyes were peeled on her computer screen the entire time. She answered the phone 4 times and acted like she wasn't even listening. She even forgot to ask me a question after answering the phone and stared at me for an answer. After the interview she told me she filled the position three days ago but to apply for more jobs on the website. Thanks for wasting my time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Macys?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience applying makeup on others?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell a credit card?   Answer Question
    • Give me a time you worked in a group and succeeded   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a customer declined to apply for a Macy's credit card?   Answer Question
    • How would you meet a sales goal if you were short and only had a few hours left?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell a customer more products than what they are already purchasing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Douglaston, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Douglaston, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was invited to schedule an interview for a beauty advisor position with Estee Lauder. One week later I had an interview with the cosmetics manager. She read off a list of questions and wrote down some notes.This interview went extremely well and the woman interviewing me was an absolute doll. Had a second interview that same day with the Estee Lauder counter manager and an account executive. It was so intimidating! They refered to the notes taken in the first interview throughout our conversation. I wasn't prepared to have another interview that same day so I wasnt as equipped to handle to questions. However I had enough knowledge about Estee Lauder to get by, make sure you are fully prepared for the brand you're interviewing for! At the end of the second interview I was informed that I would be contacted to do a talent plus interview as the last step in the hiring process. Couple days later talent plus called to schedule a phone interview with me. Talent plus can be described as a psycho-analysis interview. Just answer truthfully and positively and you should be fine. One week later I received a call saying that I passed my talent plus interview and was offered a position. I accepted and went in for training a week later. The entire process, from the day I applied to the day I went in for training, took approximately 4 weeks.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

One of the counter managers had a paper and asked questions from that paper. If you do not look nervous and stay confident you should be fine. Open availability is very important.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable doing makeup on another person's face?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The woman who interviewed me was very agitated to be there, yawned a lot, and wasn't very attentive. They called me in for a permanent job but then said it was for seasonal.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Interview

Good experience asked a few questions about myself and how I was going to handle situations and basic questions about myself and my experiences and skills. Took 2days. Was called for training in a week and started in about 2weeks after.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself, how would you handle situations, what do u feel about commission pay jobs. Are u a competitive person. Why do u want to work for Macy's   Answer Question