Macy's Beauty Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.4

89 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied for a beauty advisor position, got an email 4 days later inviting me for an interview. Scheduled for an interview the following week. Interview went really well, the interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. I stumbled on my words a bit, but at the end she said I did a great job and seem very talented. She informed me they had already filled the positions, but if anything opens up I may get a call from the Cosmetics Manager. Next day I got an email from Macy's stating that they didn't have any jobs available. Not sure if this was an outright rejection, but at least this gave me interview experience.

Interview Questions
  • How would you get a customer to come back specifically to you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Online. Quick. Interview was basic and brief. I was asked a series of standard questions. It helped that I was already a former employee so the process wasn't as stringent. I was essentially told that I was hired, but I would have to meet the cosmetic company's reps. They would have the final word concerning their counter, however, I would still be hired by Macy's no matter.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be willing to assist in a technical role if IT could not be reached in a timely manner.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. Tandem Salary Quote between Cosmetic company and Macy's.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Just a few basic questions asked by the manager followed the list. simple questions about customer services, team work, and so on. There were a lot of people in the waiting room. They didn't talk about the pay or any other things.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

I applied to an open position posted online and received an email a day or so later inviting me to schedule an interview. I choose a day and time that worked for me and went into the executive offices to interview. It went very well and was set up to meet the head of the cosmetics department the next day (she was not in on the day that I interviewed). After meeting with the cosmetic head, I was asked to interview with Talent Plus. It took a couple days to receive a phone call to set up an interview with Talent Plus and a couple more days to actually take part in the interview. Talent Plus is a over the phone interview that asks various scripted questions for about 30 minutes. When the phone interview is finished the representative lets your know that Macy's will be the one to contact you regarding what comes next. After my Talent Plus interview, I was called the next morning by the regional manager for the brand I would be representing. I scheduled an interview with her for that week where I was interviewed for 30 minutes and then needed to preform a 30 minute make-up application. About 3 days later I was called and offered the position!

Interview Questions
    • The Talent Plus interview is nerve racking because you do not know what will be asked. They are questions regarding your personality, life experiences, and character. Be yourself and answer honestly.   Answer Question
    I was offered what I initially asked for in the first interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

I applied online through the Macy's website to multiple beauty counter positions. I received an email a few days later to set up an interview online. I was interviewed for the general/flex positions for beauty advisor, and the interviewer said she would pass on my information to the other counters for their own interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make customers want to return to the store/you specifically?   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation, I was happy with what they offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westminster, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2011.

Must submit application online, you may apply for multiple departments, they email you back to come in for interview, they call you if you are hired, and you go through a couple days of training. staff is friendly, management is friendly, associates are friendly. they offer great benefits and have an awesome schedule process where you can take full control of your schedule.

Interview Questions
    • there was no difficult questions, just be yourself and answer honestly.   Answer Question
    offered 10, asked for 11 and got it.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and was told via email to come in for an interview. My first interview was with HR, and it was fairly typical questions. I was told to come back the next day for a meeting with the cosmetics section manager who then brought in the manager of the specific counter I was applying to. I was scheduled for a final interview with a brand-specific ambassador, and she is who offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • In my meeting with the cosmetics section manager, I was asked how I would sell a product. In my meeting with the brand-specific ambassador, I was asked why I wanted that specific brand.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Macy's responds quickly after you apply for a position. I was called back less than two weeks. I had four interviews for my position. Four interviews! I was shocked. First was with the department manager. Second was with Talent Plus, which was over the phone. Third was with the cosmetics regional manager. Last was with Macy's' assistant manager which was basically a final, quick interview to get to know me and tell me I had the job.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to make customers come back and shop at Macy's again?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Basically the employer told me the amount was all they had to offer.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

I applied online, and got an email from them to ask me to book the first interview appointment.And I went to the interview on time. I wanna say I feel a little sad,because I don't have any experience before,eventhough I showed a strong confident.(which the HR said,and that's the reason I didn't get this job).

Interview Questions
    • Did you have the experience that you keep asking questions to someone in the work? What's her reaction? What's the results?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

I was contacted immediately... ( applied online). Set up an interview with the Cosmetics Manager.
    I walked around the store aforehand to see the cosmetics counters, and how active they were. Ghost town. Made me a bit apprehensive, as I know cosmetics is built on clientelling and sales goals. It's hard to sell, when there is no one around.

I met with the Cosmetics manager, tried to establish a rapport. She was personable, but I don't think she fully understood my extensive experience.
    Or was afraid I would take her job. ( being from NYC and probably had more experience than her with selling and different demographics)

At one point she asked if I would be "bored" in the position, and how I would 'generate sales' if there were no clients coming in.

To which I mentioned using social networks, demonstrating a make-over on a co-worker, and building a clientele base over time and cold calling them.

I have been a free-lance makeup artist doing shoots for quite a few years, not to mention having maintained a client book from a previous NYC job.

At the end of the interview she offhandedly mentioned;
    "I don't have any positions open right now, but I will keep your resume on file."

Really? Nothing open? Why did I waste my time with the interview?
    I left feeling a bit taken advantage of.

I think Sephora is eventually going to trample department store cosmetics anyway.

Interview Questions
    • not really difficult, standard bland behaviorial questions.
      "Tell me about a time when you worked with a team to achieve a common goal.."
        Answer Question

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!