Macy's

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The interview process went great! I literally just got out of the interview an hour ago! Not only was the cosmetic department manager super cool but she made the interview process extremely comfortable. The questions were pretty brief and there were additional questions that she could've asked but felt she had already had the gist of my personality and dedication down. I am waiting for a call to meet with the store manager. Only thing I was iffy about was the fact that I didn't feel comfortable just yet asking about the pay and she never said anything about the pay. I will approach that in the next interview. Online it said they were hiring part time/full time beauty advisors, there were two openings and they both ended up being full time. I was told Clarins was one of the vendors unfortunately I was not told about the other and was told I would be great to work in Clarins. She also stated the woman who had worked in Clarins got promoted to the manager of Estee Lauder!

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a time where you had to work as a team to accomplish a task and as a leader how did you educate this team?   Answer Question
  • How would you approach a customer to sell a product, not only sell but also educate and inform them about this product?   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work for Macy's?   View Answer
  • How do you feel about applying product on a customers face?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The head of Macy's Cosmetics Dept interviewed me. She made me feel at ease and relaxed. She asked me about 5 questions. At the end she told me she was going to pass on my details to Clarins, which the position is for, and they will be contacting me for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel applying makeup to a customer?

Tell me about a time you have worked as a team member?

Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

On-line application, process took about a week, simple and easy interview. Offered the job but did not take it due to inability to be flexible with my school schedule. There was two parts to the interview - they took place an hour apart. The first interviewer was the store manager then followed by the cosmetics manager. She explained how they would train me and prepare me to be a salesperson.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked anything in particular about make-up, it was all about sales.   Answer Question

Did not want to put in the time to train a student who would be part-time after the holidays.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied about a month ago, and they sent me an email confirming my application. A week later after I applied I received another email saying they would be giving me a call soon to interview me over the phone. I never got a call, but they sent me another email asking me to schedule an appointment for a face to face interview. I scheduled it for 5:00pm. I dressed in all black, black dress pants and a black blazer and my makeup was done. The interview was fairly short, she asked me questions like " name a time where you had to sell a product to someone" and if I had experience. I have to wait a week to here back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult for me because I'm passionate about makeup. But take your time and actually think about the question.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I received an email asking me to schedule 1 month after sending in an application, and I was scheduled, and ended up doing a group interview and was offered a job on the spot. I filled out all my paperwork the same day and am scheduled for orientation and training. It was a fairly relaxing interview, but the manager was distracted half the time. I thought we weren't going to get hired.

Interview Questions
    9.65 + commission, but I still have an interview with talent plus.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

The lady was very friendly, and put me at ease. We did a little bit of small talk before the interview which relaxed my nerves a bit. The whole interview was about 15 minutes. She asked me about six to eight questions that I gave very detailed answers to. Mostly things about my work experiences. I also talked about my education experience. I was super friendly and smiled a lot. The interview was very comfortable. She said I did a good job and was very talented and was sure I would be getting a call back from the beauty manager for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you helped a colleague? When was a time you worked as a group to complete a task?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied for a beauty advisor position, got an email 4 days later inviting me for an interview. Scheduled for an interview the following week. Interview went really well, the interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. I stumbled on my words a bit, but at the end she said I did a great job and seem very talented. She informed me they had already filled the positions, but if anything opens up I may get a call from the Cosmetics Manager. Next day I got an email from Macy's stating that they didn't have any jobs available. Not sure if this was an outright rejection, but at least this gave me interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get a customer to come back specifically to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

The interview was as easy as pie. No really difficult questions. The candidate if selected will get an automated email saying to schedule an interview time online. 95% of the times that I did go to the scheduling website to schedule an interview, there was no dates available. I got an automated call a week later (after not being able to schedule the interview) saying they were still interested in a face-to-face interview and to go online and schedule. Within a couple of days after that, I was able to schedule an interview. The lady that interviewed me was pleasant and helpful. What I did not understand was that I was interviewing for an open position only to be told at the end of the interview there is no spot available. A week later got an email saying that "we are sorry but we have no available spots at this time". Thus, no full time no part time no seasonal help either.

Interview Questions
    • On scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being highest, how comfortable are you putting on makeup on other people?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I applied online. Got an email shortly after to set up and interview. I got a chance to interview twice within 1 month. One for fulltime and one for seasonal. Both interviews I was interviewed by 2 guys. I thought it was a little odd and harder because not every guy would know about cosmetics, right? So that made it hard for me to sell what I know about cosmetics. However, they were both nice and helpful. But both interviews were alot different. The first one, i had a good experience in because he was nice, understanding, he listened, took notes and had eye contact. I was interviewed 9 basic questions. But the 2nd one, he was late, cocky, no eye contact, didnt even bother to take notes of my answers, and showed no interest in interviewing me and only asked 5 basic questions. I found it odd. I thought both interviews went well though. I nailed all the questions. But unfortunately, I didnt get neither of the positions. What i did not understand was, i have the experience, knowledged in cosmetics and licensed in cosmetology and they emailed me back the same day as the interviews that theres no position available and that my qualifications didnt fit their needs. Not only that but i would still see job posts for available positions for the same ones i have interviewed for. I was pissed. Dont post if you're looking to hire someone. Better yet, dont interview someone if theres no available positions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How comfortable are you putting on makeup on clients with your fingers?   Answer Question
    • 2. How would you make customers want to return to the store/you specifically?   Answer Question
    • 3. Explain about a time you worked in a team.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Online. Quick. Interview was basic and brief. I was asked a series of standard questions. It helped that I was already a former employee so the process wasn't as stringent. I was essentially told that I was hired, but I would have to meet the cosmetic company's reps. They would have the final word concerning their counter, however, I would still be hired by Macy's no matter.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be willing to assist in a technical role if IT could not be reached in a timely manner.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. Tandem Salary Quote between Cosmetic company and Macy's.