Macy's

Average Difficulty
86 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to an open position posted online and received an email a day or so later inviting me to schedule an interview. I choose a day and time that worked for me and went into the executive offices to interview. It went very well and was set up to meet the head of the cosmetics department the next day (she was not in on the day that I interviewed). After meeting with the cosmetic head, I was asked to interview with Talent Plus. It took a couple days to receive a phone call to set up an interview with Talent Plus and a couple more days to actually take part in the interview. Talent Plus is a over the phone interview that asks various scripted questions for about 30 minutes. When the phone interview is finished the representative lets your know that Macy's will be the one to contact you regarding what comes next. After my Talent Plus interview, I was called the next morning by the regional manager for the brand I would be representing. I scheduled an interview with her for that week where I was interviewed for 30 minutes and then needed to preform a 30 minute make-up application. About 3 days later I was called and offered the position!

Interview Question – The Talent Plus interview is nerve racking because you do not know what will be asked. They are questions regarding your personality, life experiences, and character. Be yourself and answer honestly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered what I initially asked for in the first interview.

Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through the Macy's website to multiple beauty counter positions. I received an email a few days later to set up an interview online. I was interviewed for the general/flex positions for beauty advisor, and the interviewer said she would pass on my information to the other counters for their own interviews.

Interview Question – How would you make customers want to return to the store/you specifically?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation, I was happy with what they offered.

Westminster, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2011.

Interview Details – Must submit application online, you may apply for multiple departments, they email you back to come in for interview, they call you if you are hired, and you go through a couple days of training. staff is friendly, management is friendly, associates are friendly. they offer great benefits and have an awesome schedule process where you can take full control of your schedule.

Interview Question – there was no difficult questions, just be yourself and answer honestly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – offered 10, asked for 11 and got it.

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and was told via email to come in for an interview. My first interview was with HR, and it was fairly typical questions. I was told to come back the next day for a meeting with the cosmetics section manager who then brought in the manager of the specific counter I was applying to. I was scheduled for a final interview with a brand-specific ambassador, and she is who offered me the job.

Interview Question – In my meeting with the cosmetics section manager, I was asked how I would sell a product. In my meeting with the brand-specific ambassador, I was asked why I wanted that specific brand.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Macy's responds quickly after you apply for a position. I was called back less than two weeks. I had four interviews for my position. Four interviews! I was shocked. First was with the department manager. Second was with Talent Plus, which was over the phone. Third was with the cosmetics regional manager. Last was with Macy's' assistant manager which was basically a final, quick interview to get to know me and tell me I had the job.

Interview Question – What can you do to make customers come back and shop at Macy's again?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Basically the employer told me the amount was all they had to offer.

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got an email from them to ask me to book the first interview appointment.And I went to the interview on time. I wanna say I feel a little sad,because I don't have any experience before,eventhough I showed a strong confident.(which the HR said,and that's the reason I didn't get this job).

Interview Question – Did you have the experience that you keep asking questions to someone in the work? What's her reaction? What's the results?   View Answer

Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted immediately... ( applied online). Set up an interview with the Cosmetics Manager.
I walked around the store aforehand to see the cosmetics counters, and how active they were. Ghost town. Made me a bit apprehensive, as I know cosmetics is built on clientelling and sales goals. It's hard to sell, when there is no one around.

I met with the Cosmetics manager, tried to establish a rapport. She was personable, but I don't think she fully understood my extensive experience.
Or was afraid I would take her job. ( being from NYC and probably had more experience than her with selling and different demographics)

At one point she asked if I would be "bored" in the position, and how I would 'generate sales' if there were no clients coming in.

To which I mentioned using social networks, demonstrating a make-over on a co-worker, and building a clientele base over time and cold calling them.

I have been a free-lance makeup artist doing shoots for quite a few years, not to mention having maintained a client book from a previous NYC job.

At the end of the interview she offhandedly mentioned;
"I don't have any positions open right now, but I will keep your resume on file."

Really? Nothing open? Why did I waste my time with the interview?
I left feeling a bit taken advantage of.

I think Sephora is eventually going to trample department store cosmetics anyway.

Interview Question – not really difficult, standard bland behaviorial questions.
"Tell me about a time when you worked with a team to achieve a common goal.."
  Answer Question

Portage, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – They ask you simple retail related questions.
Only offered minimum wage.
Applied for full-time position and was told that it was temporary in the interview.

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – They wrote me saying that they wanted to interview me. I ended up arriving on that day an hour and a half earlier than I was suppose to. The person before me was running late so they interviewed me in her place. The woman was nice and the interview went well. Then at the end she tells me that no positions are available. She said she will "bench" me and call me when a position opens. I was furious. Wasted my time.

Interview Question – She was reading questions off of a paper. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – I came the interview an hour and a half early. Another person who was supposed to be interviewed during the time I showed was running late so they decided to interview me early. The interview was easy and the manager was happy with most of my answer. I thought I had it in the bad. Then she tells me at the end that no positions are available at this time. She suggests that I apply to another Macy's that is close to my area. She will bench me and if a position opens up she will call me. I was absolutely furious. I applied online after seeing two ads saying that they were looking for beauty advisors at that specific Macy's. After I left I got an email saying "unfortunately we don't have any appropriate positions for you". WHY DIDN'T THEY SEND THIS EMAIL WHEN I FIRST APPLIED??? I am never applying to this place again.

Interview Question – Simple questions. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Beauty Advisor interview questions and advice. All 86 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.