Macy's Beauty Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.4

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I filled out an application online. Got emailed a few days later, went in to give the interview. I wait in the HR room, after 20 minutes got called in. The lady was nice, she said she was the young HR director or something. She was basically reading of a paper in front of her. The questions were easy I would say. After the interview was done she want to talk to the beauty manager. She came back after 5 minutes to say NO JOB WAS AVAILABLE. I'm thinking wth? Why did I come in to waste my time and give an interview then. I think they might of done that because I was overqualified and would have negotiated on pay.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you lead a team?   Answer Question
  • Are you comfortable with putting makeup on peoples face, touching them with your hands?   Answer Question
  • How would you make clients come back to you? What is important for you to do with clients?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

The interview process took me about an hour and a half to complete. Including the questionnaire that goes with it. The interview went really well. My interviewer was very professional, she was not the makeup manager hiring, she read questions out of a packet and wrote down my answers. The questions were basic retail questions. She let me know that she was going to pass on my information to the makeup manager, so I should expect another call for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell someone a Macy's card?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable applying products on a person's hand/face?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you worked under pressure and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time that you and a team got together to accomplish the same end goal and what your role in that was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The interview process went great! I literally just got out of the interview an hour ago! Not only was the cosmetic department manager super cool but she made the interview process extremely comfortable. The questions were pretty brief and there were additional questions that she could've asked but felt she had already had the gist of my personality and dedication down. I am waiting for a call to meet with the store manager. Only thing I was iffy about was the fact that I didn't feel comfortable just yet asking about the pay and she never said anything about the pay. I will approach that in the next interview. Online it said they were hiring part time/full time beauty advisors, there were two openings and they both ended up being full time. I was told Clarins was one of the vendors unfortunately I was not told about the other and was told I would be great to work in Clarins. She also stated the woman who had worked in Clarins got promoted to the manager of Estee Lauder!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to work as a team to accomplish a task and as a leader how did you educate this team?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach a customer to sell a product, not only sell but also educate and inform them about this product?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Macy's?   View Answer
    • How do you feel about applying product on a customers face?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downtown Crossing, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downtown Crossing, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I had a total of 3 interviews. The initial interview was just basic questions like why did you apply for the job and all that. Then I had an interview with the cosmetics manager and then lastly I had an interview with the benefit cosmetics manager.

Interview Questions
    • what are some of your favorite products ? Sell me something. What is your greatest weakness and greatest strength?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

it was my 3rd time that I make a job interview with macys! Exept one of them,all of these interviews went really good and I got the job!
    But one thing that I do not like about macys is that they schedule a job appointment, they tell you that it is a kind of full time job and then when you go to the interview you realize that's the part time job!
    But I should say that I love its enviroment, all the managers that I have met were professional and makes you feel comfortable about the job interview , you can ask them to repeat their question if you don't understand their meaning

Interview Questions
    • did you have a team working experience? What was your role? Explain the situation   Answer Question
    • As a cosmetic sale associate you should help the company by persuading customers to give a macys card, how would you do that?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

Had my first interview with the Macy's Head of Beauty and Cosmetics. she passed my details onto Clarins and I had a second interview with the Clarins Account Executive a few days later. Both interviews were very relaxed and it was a very friendly atmosphere, I felt very at ease in both interviews. I was offered the position at the end of the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about applying skincare,makeup to customers faces?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you worked as a team member and what your role was and the outcome.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Easy interview, waste of time. After her showing up a hour late, she interviewed me just to tell me all their spots were filled. Which pissed me off because I already had trouble getting there(car was acting up). Btw, Macy's has a reputation of conducting interviews just to tell you they're not hiring. Even when they have a big"Now hiring" sign. Not to scare anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel comfortable applying makeup?
      Name a time you had to think outside the box..
      Name a time you had to sell something, what was the outcome?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied for the position online at 11 a.m. And by 2 p.m they had emailed me back to schedule an interview online.. They told me I would hear from them to do my talent interview in a week or two. while I was at my interview the supervisor told another sales associate that he would interview her after lunch and go from there. So I felt like it was a waste of my time to even be there when they were promoting from within. I guess they just needed to do at least one interview from the outside I did hear back from them 3 weeks later, explaining I wasn't experienced enough for the job. I have my cosmetology license and worked for Dillards Estee Lauder counter for three years. they also told me that it only paid minimum wage which I know for a fact is a load of bull. Waste of my time

Interview Questions
    • explain a time something unexpected happened at work and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

On-line application, process took about a week, simple and easy interview. Offered the job but did not take it due to inability to be flexible with my school schedule. There was two parts to the interview - they took place an hour apart. The first interviewer was the store manager then followed by the cosmetics manager. She explained how they would train me and prepare me to be a salesperson.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked anything in particular about make-up, it was all about sales.   Answer Question

Did not want to put in the time to train a student who would be part-time after the holidays.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied about a month ago, and they sent me an email confirming my application. A week later after I applied I received another email saying they would be giving me a call soon to interview me over the phone. I never got a call, but they sent me another email asking me to schedule an appointment for a face to face interview. I scheduled it for 5:00pm. I dressed in all black, black dress pants and a black blazer and my makeup was done. The interview was fairly short, she asked me questions like " name a time where you had to sell a product to someone" and if I had experience. I have to wait a week to here back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult for me because I'm passionate about makeup. But take your time and actually think about the question.   Answer Question