Macy's COSMETICS Interview Questions

1.9

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Met with a manager that didn't work in the department. I had been offered at job at Lush the previous day and when asked if I had questions from the get go I asked if they were willing to work around a second schedule. She immediately tried to end the interview and became very rude to me. I was also being interviewed for an oncall position when I was scheduled to be interview for a full-time cosmetics position. Very rude manager left disappointed with how I was treated and won't be applying again.

Interview Questions

I was lied to about what I was being interviewed for.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

COSMETICS Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Submitted resume online at Macy.com/careers after viewing open positions on the site. I was emailed and asked to interview within 24 hours. I interviewed with two members of Management then had my final interview four days later with the rep from the specific cosmetic line I applied to.
    Management is friendly and helpful during interview process. Multiple applicants for open positions. Very fair interview process!

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of time when you helped a team member make a sale to a regular customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and got an email a few days later to schedule an interview. The interview was very relaxed and easy. I just answered a few questions about selling cosmetics, working on a team etc.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation really.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

I applied online then got an email to schedule an interview. When I got to interview I waited like 5min and then the manager came took me to office and explained how she's gonna ask me a series of questions. They were like about 10 questions of why I want to work there and what would you do in this situation. The manager was friendly and nice, thought I had a good chance but then got an email later that day that I wasn't offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in January 2013.

Was asked when I showed up for my first interview to reschedule. I thought it rather unprofessional that I wasn't extended the courtesy of a phone call. I had to take another day off of work to interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult. But the questions were "cookie cutter" and read off of what appeared to be an interview questionaire   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merritt Island, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merritt Island, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in May 2011.

Applied via careerbuilder.com. Called me about 10 days later for an interview. They were very disorganized and had lots of people interviewing. I ended up waiting almost an hour past my scheduled time. I wore a suit and heels, but most of the other candidates were dressed super causal-as in flipflops casual. I thought I would be a shoo in lol! Interviewed for cosmetics and was asked why I wanted to work at Macy's and about my feelings regarding putting makeup on strangers. The interviewer talked to me about the dresscode (all black but any shoes you want for "self expression"). She asked me what salary I wanted and I told her at least $10. I think this was my downfall but I figured maybe cosmetics would make more. I would just ask for the starting pay if you can take a job for less than $10/hour. I really couldn't. I later received a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable putting makeup on a stranger for a demonstration?   Answer Question
    • How important is it for you to be at work on time? (which was ironic since they interviewed me an hour after my scheduled time)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

First off I want to say how lousy Macy's is. I interviewed for a counter manager position and had one interview then got an email stating that my abilities and skill was strong but they didn't have a position for me, but that they would like to consider me for opportunities in the future.what? 10 years of cosmetic experience, runway shows, theatre makeup everything. I couldn't believe it especially when I was told by several cosmetic girls to go for this position because I was so qualified and that no one else had near my qualifications. I worked at Macy's previously and didn't get along with my manager, I couldn't stand how disorganized she was and how rude she was to us. Anyhow she still works there and I think she said something to management. Just because we had a personality conflict doesn't mean I couldn't run a fantastic counter. Sad experience after dealing with all the fake in this place it wont receive another dollars of my money.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if I caugh5 a fellow employee stealing.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in July 2010.

interviewed on the spot

Interview Questions
    • give me an example of a time you had to overcome an obstacle in a job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

I dont like group interviews. I just dont feel you can really conect with people in groups. The one on one interview would have been fine if the cosmetics manager wass there to interview me. She didnt show up so the womans department manager had to interview me she had no clue about cosmetics it was very unproffesional. Then I had to come in for a third interview and I was told I think you can do makeup but i dont think you can sell makeup and selling is way more important then the artistry. Ans I found that comment highly offensive. Ive been in the makeup industry for 15 years im a certified artist. Yes I do makeup very well but I can also sell just as well I started out selling makeup at a high end department store. Plus who wants to buy makeup from a person that just ruined a costomers face. If you do wonderful makeup they will buy everything.

I declined too little money and wanted me to be on call no garanteed hours. Didnt like managers attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in June 2009.

Simple interview. Walked around the department I was interviewing for. Asnwered a few questions with the GSM of that area then spoke to the Regional Area Manager of the cosmetic line I was being hired for. Both liked me so I got the job.

Interview Questions
    I didn't feel any need to negotiate.