Macy's

2.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied about a month ago, and they sent me an email confirming my application. A week later after I applied I received another email saying they would be giving me a call soon to interview me over the phone. I never got a call, but they sent me another email asking me to schedule an appointment for a face to face interview. I scheduled it for 5:00pm. I dressed in all black, black dress pants and a black blazer and my makeup was done. The interview was fairly short, she asked me questions like " name a time where you had to sell a product to someone" and if I had experience. I have to wait a week to here back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult for me because I'm passionate about makeup. But take your time and actually think about the question.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

This was for Store Management, not buying/planning. First round on campus, very nice people, one 30 min interview (very laid back) and one coaching exercise where you get a mini case, 15 min to prepare, and a 3 min answer. Then I got invited to the second round in downtown Chicago- very nice hotel! Day 1: intro to Chi town, logisitical info, State Street store tour, and a dinner at the restaurant at the top of the store. Day 2: breakfast at State St offices, two interviews with high ranking HR and store managers (one is based on answers for a personality test they give you between 1st and 2nd round) Once again, very nice people, very laid back. Then you have to work in a group for a case decision and then you have an individual case as well. Basically looking at numbers and trying to decide what department needs help in a store.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly simple behavioral processes, cases were VERY easy   Answer Question

Better offers elsewhere

Merchandising/Stock Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online about 2 weeks ago, and few days after I applied I was emailed to schedule my appointment, but unfortunate for me the earliest I could get was about a week and a half later. Anyway I did my research, I personally decided to wear all black( slacks, black button up, and the darkest shade of brown boots).

I arrived about 15min early, greeted everyone in sight and sat down waiting. Fast forward to the actual interview, my interview was quite pleasant. The department manager was very understanding that this would be my very first official job(even though i've done tons of voluntary work over the past several years). He also explained to me there were 3 type of positions involved in this particular department, which were merchandising/stocking(replenishment), processing( loading and unloading trucks), and pricing(price tagging,etc). I made it clear to him I was interested in the merchandising/stocking position, after a few more questions and scenarios, he said he would like to hire me. I start orientation/training next monday, I'll be more than happy to provide that experience as well if this review is received well.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me a time where you had to switch tasks in a quick manner.   View Answers (2)
    • If you saw an employee doing something wrong, what would you do?   View Answer
    After our conversation, and his series of questions, he offered me the job. He was very considerate into making sure i was interested in the position, and I happily accepted. Also he mentioned that there will be paid training, but minimum wage(in Chicago, thats $8.25), and after training I would be making $8.50 an hour.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

I applied online and received back an email to set up where and when I would like to get interviewed. I chose the mall nearest my home and where I'd like to work. The interview was good and I had answered well the interviewer's questions. I gave her an open schedule where I can work part time or anytime as long as I can get hired. My past work experience is related to the position I applied for. She knows I have experience in all departments since I worked in NY some years ago. I told her I hope to be able to work for Macys again since my work in NY before I moved to my present state was something I always enjoyed doing. After the interview, she asked me if I have any other questions. She said they will let me know a few days later. Then, after 2 days I received an email from Macys Bloomingdale thanking me for interview which is in a wrong date,location , job position applied for and said : " We have carefully reviewed your skills and qualifications. Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position." So sad that I put much effort getting ready for that interview and being dismissed with wrong information in what I applied for and in what place and my availability is good... so why they said it did not match my availability?

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult questions but more on situational interview questions.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

I was interviewed twice because i wowed my first interviewer but they didn't have a position to offer me. So she FOUND another manager that did have a open position to offer me and i kinda just slide rite on through into the job.

Seasonal Retail Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

You have to apply for the position online. If accepted, you will receive an email with instruction on how to schedule an interview. At the interview, you will be taken into a generic room where the interviewer will ask some pretty basic retail sales related questions - how would you handle rude customers, give an example of a difficult situation, etc.

Holiday Retail Selling Floor Recovery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

It took three days to get my email after I applied. I arrived five minutes before my interview and was immediately taken to be interviewed. The interviewer was nice, friendly, she made me feel at ease. The interview lasted all of ten minutes and at the end, she explained that within two to three days I would receive an email, regardless of their decision. I waited for a week and a half before I received any email.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Why did you choose Macy's, etc.   Answer Question

Holiday Retail Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I was asked about 10-12, interview questions and answered to the best of my ability. Interviewed by the Manager of the floor who was very nice and made me feel at ease. I was dressed in Macy's attire and scored points for that. Honesty in answering questions and asking for explanation of question I did not quite understand also helped. Set up with training dates, filled out 1 form and was on my way. Interview lasted about 15 minutes. I arrived 20 minutes before my interview time and was called immediately.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if I saw an employee doing something against policy?   View Answer
    No negotiations

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Typed typical online application, personal face to face interview with visual manager and/or visual boss

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

The interview was fairly laid back, though I mostly expect that was the because the manager interviewing me was a pretty approachable fellow. He was not from HR or the store manager, as I had expected him to be, but a sales manager.

I was asked pretty typical questions, such as why I would like to work for Macy's as well as my hopes for advancement, etc.

Interview Questions
    • With the qualifications you have, why Macy's? Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    As an associate, I would start out at $8.25 with no negotiation, but specialists start out at $8.75. Don't bother trying to negotiate for more.