Macy's Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.3

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very informal style interview. Basic question for retail management. However, my interviewer was awesome she made it more of a conversation style and that suited my interviewing style. Felt more like a conversation then a actual interview. Then, as the interview was coming to a conclusion the assistant manager asked me if I would like to chat with the HR manager (another interview.) Generally if that happens you did something good enough to move you on to the next step!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you helped a employee who was a under performer in a certain category?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Have you developed any employees to the level of promotion?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process took me about an hour and a half to complete. Including the questionnaire that goes with it. The interview went really well. My interviewer was very professional, she was not the makeup manager hiring, she read questions out of a packet and wrote down my answers. The questions were basic retail questions. She let me know that she was going to pass on my information to the makeup manager, so I should expect another call for another interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell someone a Macy's card?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable applying products on a person's hand/face?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you worked under pressure and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time that you and a team got together to accomplish the same end goal and what your role in that was.   Answer Question

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

seasonal sales associate -- I applied online. Next day , i got an email that i can interview with one of the HR person. I can choose the interview date. it takes only one week for me or you can do interview on next day. very easy to apply

Interview Questions

• interview processing is easy and common interview questions! 1. why you choose to work in Macy's? 2. past experience 3. how do you time when you are selling the product ? 3. how do you sell macy's reward credit card program to customers ? 4. if a customer wants to buy a scarf, but you are already working in other customer, how would you tell the other customer ? overall, HR person is very knowledge about macy's store and business mind. overall, it is good experience. unfortunately, i did not get an offer, but next time i will try again !   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied about a month ago, and they sent me an email confirming my application. A week later after I applied I received another email saying they would be giving me a call soon to interview me over the phone. I never got a call, but they sent me another email asking me to schedule an appointment for a face to face interview. I scheduled it for 5:00pm. I dressed in all black, black dress pants and a black blazer and my makeup was done. The interview was fairly short, she asked me questions like " name a time where you had to sell a product to someone" and if I had experience. I have to wait a week to here back from them.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't that difficult for me because I'm passionate about makeup. But take your time and actually think about the question.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

This was for Store Management, not buying/planning. First round on campus, very nice people, one 30 min interview (very laid back) and one coaching exercise where you get a mini case, 15 min to prepare, and a 3 min answer. Then I got invited to the second round in downtown Chicago- very nice hotel! Day 1: intro to Chi town, logisitical info, State Street store tour, and a dinner at the restaurant at the top of the store. Day 2: breakfast at State St offices, two interviews with high ranking HR and store managers (one is based on answers for a personality test they give you between 1st and 2nd round) Once again, very nice people, very laid back. Then you have to work in a group for a case decision and then you have an individual case as well. Basically looking at numbers and trying to decide what department needs help in a store.

Interview Questions

• Fairly simple behavioral processes, cases were VERY easy   Answer Question

Better offers elsewhere

Merchandising/Stock Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online about 2 weeks ago, and few days after I applied I was emailed to schedule my appointment, but unfortunate for me the earliest I could get was about a week and a half later. Anyway I did my research, I personally decided to wear all black( slacks, black button up, and the darkest shade of brown boots).

I arrived about 15min early, greeted everyone in sight and sat down waiting. Fast forward to the actual interview, my interview was quite pleasant. The department manager was very understanding that this would be my very first official job(even though i've done tons of voluntary work over the past several years). He also explained to me there were 3 type of positions involved in this particular department, which were merchandising/stocking(replenishment), processing( loading and unloading trucks), and pricing(price tagging,etc). I made it clear to him I was interested in the merchandising/stocking position, after a few more questions and scenarios, he said he would like to hire me. I start orientation/training next monday, I'll be more than happy to provide that experience as well if this review is received well.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me a time where you had to switch tasks in a quick manner.   2 Answers
    • If you saw an employee doing something wrong, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

After our conversation, and his series of questions, he offered me the job. He was very considerate into making sure i was interested in the position, and I happily accepted. Also he mentioned that there will be paid training, but minimum wage(in Chicago, thats $8.25), and after training I would be making $8.50 an hour.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process took about 1 week and the interviews were held on campus. There were about 12 candidates and there were two 30 minute back to back interviews.One of the interviewers was an executive while the other was the HR Recruiter

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received back an email to set up where and when I would like to get interviewed. I chose the mall nearest my home and where I'd like to work. The interview was good and I had answered well the interviewer's questions. I gave her an open schedule where I can work part time or anytime as long as I can get hired. My past work experience is related to the position I applied for. She knows I have experience in all departments since I worked in NY some years ago. I told her I hope to be able to work for Macys again since my work in NY before I moved to my present state was something I always enjoyed doing. After the interview, she asked me if I have any other questions. She said they will let me know a few days later. Then, after 2 days I received an email from Macys Bloomingdale thanking me for interview which is in a wrong date,location , job position applied for and said : " We have carefully reviewed your skills and qualifications. Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position." So sad that I put much effort getting ready for that interview and being dismissed with wrong information in what I applied for and in what place and my availability is good... so why they said it did not match my availability?

Interview Questions

• Not really difficult questions but more on situational interview questions.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed twice because i wowed my first interviewer but they didn't have a position to offer me. So she FOUND another manager that did have a open position to offer me and i kinda just slide rite on through into the job.

Seasonal Retail Sale Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

You have to apply for the position online. If accepted, you will receive an email with instruction on how to schedule an interview. At the interview, you will be taken into a generic room where the interviewer will ask some pretty basic retail sales related questions - how would you handle rude customers, give an example of a difficult situation, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle co-worker theft?   1 Answer