Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Part-Time Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received back an email to set up where and when I would like to get interviewed. I chose the mall nearest my home and where I'd like to work. The interview was good and I had answered well the interviewer's questions. I gave her an open schedule where I can work part time or anytime as long as I can get hired. My past work experience is related to the position I applied for. She knows I have experience in all departments since I worked in NY some years ago. I told her I hope to be able to work for Macys again since my work in NY before I moved to my present state was something I always enjoyed doing. After the interview, she asked me if I have any other questions. She said they will let me know a few days later. Then, after 2 days I received an email from Macys Bloomingdale thanking me for interview which is in a wrong date,location , job position applied for and said : " We have carefully reviewed your skills and qualifications. Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position." So sad that I put much effort getting ready for that interview and being dismissed with wrong information in what I applied for and in what place and my availability is good... so why they said it did not match my availability?

Interview Question – Not really difficult questions but more on situational interview questions.   Answer Question

Seasonal Retail Sale Associate Interview

Seasonal Retail Sale Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – You have to apply for the position online. If accepted, you will receive an email with instruction on how to schedule an interview. At the interview, you will be taken into a generic room where the interviewer will ask some pretty basic retail sales related questions - how would you handle rude customers, give an example of a difficult situation, etc.

Interview Question – How would I handle co-worker theft?   View Answer

Holiday Retail Selling Floor Recovery Interview

Holiday Retail Selling Floor Recovery
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – It took three days to get my email after I applied. I arrived five minutes before my interview and was immediately taken to be interviewed. The interviewer was nice, friendly, she made me feel at ease. The interview lasted all of ten minutes and at the end, she explained that within two to three days I would receive an email, regardless of their decision. I waited for a week and a half before I received any email.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions. Why did you choose Macy's, etc.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly laid back, though I mostly expect that was the because the manager interviewing me was a pretty approachable fellow. He was not from HR or the store manager, as I had expected him to be, but a sales manager.

I was asked pretty typical questions, such as why I would like to work for Macy's as well as my hopes for advancement, etc.

Interview Question – With the qualifications you have, why Macy's? Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As an associate, I would start out at $8.25 with no negotiation, but specialists start out at $8.75. Don't bother trying to negotiate for more.

Holiday Retail Sales Interview

Holiday Retail Sales
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked about 10-12, interview questions and answered to the best of my ability. Interviewed by the Manager of the floor who was very nice and made me feel at ease. I was dressed in Macy's attire and scored points for that. Honesty in answering questions and asking for explanation of question I did not quite understand also helped. Set up with training dates, filled out 1 form and was on my way. Interview lasted about 15 minutes. I arrived 20 minutes before my interview time and was called immediately.

Interview Question – What would I do if I saw an employee doing something against policy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Typed typical online application, personal face to face interview with visual manager and/or visual boss

Interview Question – Are you okay with lifting heavy weight like 50 lbs   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Men's Shoe Associate Interview

Men's Shoe Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in September 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring was quick and simple, was hired at a big flagship store on state st. Chicago. Only had one interviewed and later got transferred to the one in California.

Interview Question – Asking what your experience in retail is?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Base V.S Draw system, You either get $8 an hour or 8% percent commission if your part time and 9 % if your full time, You take whichever you make the most in.

Price Change Lead Interview

Price Change Lead
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in February 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out an application online; got an email to schedule an interview. I did that; and prepared myself for questions by using Glassdoor.com from other peoples' Macy's interview experience (this website helps A LOT). I went in for the interview the following week. I go to the HR office; sign in and waited to be called. While I was waiting someone else was sitting and 3 more people enter after a while. The hiring manager called me first. She walked fast to the back office (with me close behind). I walk in the office she comes in behind me and closes the door. She walks to a table and ask me to have a seat. The whole time she is reading some print-off (paper). I start to say "Hello, my names is..." and she cuts me off and starts to talk about the position. FINALLY she looks at me and says "I'm sorry! Hi, my name is..". After that she explains the job and tells me it is Price Change Lead, which means I have to be at work at 4am and lead a group to change prices within the store. It was part-time with very little customer interactions (the store opens at 10am). She explains I should be done and gone by time the store opens. She gave the usually "give me a time when" and "why Macy's" questions. While I was talking she kept picking at her nails and saying "Uhh-huh". She was not interested in me; I can tell. She thanked me for coming and said (in my face) she would not be calling me because it was probable people out there waiting and working internally with more experience than me. She went to the door, with me following and as I reached to shake her hand and thank her for her time; she opens the door (while reading something AGAIN) and walks back to her chair. I looked at her; heartbroken and a little embarrassed and left. The next day I got a rejection email from Macy's.

Interview Question – Why Macy's? Tell me a time when you had to work in a group?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Hiring Process was pretty simple. Apply online, and within a short time (I got the email within a week) if you fit the profile they are looking for, they will email you for an interview. I went to Water Tower and I ran through the interview pretty well. Seemed pretty rushed since it appeared the manager had other things to do.

Interview Question – Typical Retail interview questions.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – It is very straightforward with everything being done online through macysjobs.com. You fill out the online application, submit your resume and wait for an email inviting you to an in person interview. One of the sales managers follows a script of questions and typically you leave with an offer for a position.

Interview Question – How well do you deal with a constantly changing environment.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.