Macy's Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

interviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

Interviewer was very unfriendly and speedread through all the questions boilerplate style. The questions were not unusual but rather stupid if you'd rather have b.s. answers rather than truly know a person's qualifications. I took any salary and still got no offer. The position was for full time. A couple days later I got the rejection email, I saw an ad for a part time loss prevention detective position. I applied for this position as well and they sent me the same rejection email. They can no longer process my application (no reason).

Merchandise Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

Their interview process is a waste of time. They take forever to call you after you interview. But the worse part is , when you go to the interview they tell you the job you are interested in is not available, even though it is clearly posted on the list of open positions. So basically, it is a waste of time!!!! Then they tell you they "bench" you which means when and IF the position opens, they will call you, but they don't. You end up calling them, and them they act like they have no idea what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

Because they were completely unprofessional and unorganized.

Merchandising/Stock Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online about 2 weeks ago, and few days after I applied I was emailed to schedule my appointment, but unfortunate for me the earliest I could get was about a week and a half later. Anyway I did my research, I personally decided to wear all black( slacks, black button up, and the darkest shade of brown boots).

I arrived about 15min early, greeted everyone in sight and sat down waiting. Fast forward to the actual interview, my interview was quite pleasant. The department manager was very understanding that this would be my very first official job(even though i've done tons of voluntary work over the past several years). He also explained to me there were 3 type of positions involved in this particular department, which were merchandising/stocking(replenishment), processing( loading and unloading trucks), and pricing(price tagging,etc). I made it clear to him I was interested in the merchandising/stocking position, after a few more questions and scenarios, he said he would like to hire me. I start orientation/training next monday, I'll be more than happy to provide that experience as well if this review is received well.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me a time where you had to switch tasks in a quick manner.   View Answers (2)
    • If you saw an employee doing something wrong, what would you do?   View Answer
    After our conversation, and his series of questions, he offered me the job. He was very considerate into making sure i was interested in the position, and I happily accepted. Also he mentioned that there will be paid training, but minimum wage(in Chicago, thats $8.25), and after training I would be making $8.50 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview only set up on line. There was no job available but she kept me there for over one hour. She was also one half hour late for the interview. Asked a series of unrelated questions.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

I applied online and received back an email to set up where and when I would like to get interviewed. I chose the mall nearest my home and where I'd like to work. The interview was good and I had answered well the interviewer's questions. I gave her an open schedule where I can work part time or anytime as long as I can get hired. My past work experience is related to the position I applied for. She knows I have experience in all departments since I worked in NY some years ago. I told her I hope to be able to work for Macys again since my work in NY before I moved to my present state was something I always enjoyed doing. After the interview, she asked me if I have any other questions. She said they will let me know a few days later. Then, after 2 days I received an email from Macys Bloomingdale thanking me for interview which is in a wrong date,location , job position applied for and said : " We have carefully reviewed your skills and qualifications. Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position." So sad that I put much effort getting ready for that interview and being dismissed with wrong information in what I applied for and in what place and my availability is good... so why they said it did not match my availability?

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult questions but more on situational interview questions.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

I was interviewed twice because i wowed my first interviewer but they didn't have a position to offer me. So she FOUND another manager that did have a open position to offer me and i kinda just slide rite on through into the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview Process Was A Piece Of Cake. I Just Came In With A Copy Of My Resume Which They Really Thought Was Impressive. I Was Asked Questions Like Why Do You Want To Work For Macy's? What Are Your Strengths And Weakness? Why Should I Hire You? And They Just Wanted To Know A Little About Me. So During The Interview You Should Do Most Of The Talking And You Should Have It In The Bag.

Interview Questions
    • A Unexpected Question Would Have To Be Is What Would You Do If A Customer Asked You For A Discount?   Answer Question

Seasonal Retail Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

You have to apply for the position online. If accepted, you will receive an email with instruction on how to schedule an interview. At the interview, you will be taken into a generic room where the interviewer will ask some pretty basic retail sales related questions - how would you handle rude customers, give an example of a difficult situation, etc.

Holiday Retail Selling Floor Recovery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

It took three days to get my email after I applied. I arrived five minutes before my interview and was immediately taken to be interviewed. The interviewer was nice, friendly, she made me feel at ease. The interview lasted all of ten minutes and at the end, she explained that within two to three days I would receive an email, regardless of their decision. I waited for a week and a half before I received any email.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Why did you choose Macy's, etc.   Answer Question

Seasonal Merchandising Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Had only one phone interview after submitting my application online. I was told I was hired at the end of this call and waited for my local store to call me to come in.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions, just the usual situational questions that most retailers would ask.   Answer Question
    As this is seasonal, it's minimum wage and that's it.