Macy's

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in October, right when they began hiring for the holiday season. They emailed me within 3 days of submitting the application to schedule an interview. I was able to choose a date and time and arrived 20 minutes before my interview to talk to some of the employees and to calm my nerves. I was called in and the manager asked me who are you, why do you want to work for Macy's, and then a question about how I would help a customer who comes looking for a certain pair of jeans. I answered and she told me she wanted me to interview with the women's shoe manager for that position. I came in the next day and was asked what I would do if I didn't have an item the customer wanted. I answered, he said okay, and got my paperwork.

Interview Question – A customer comes in looking for a pair of jeans, that isn't your department, so what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable salary-base pay and commission after that

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very pleasant interview. Manager was engaging,. Sincere and interested in who I am and what I could contribute. He was extremely polite and attentive without being pretentious. Interview asked appropriate questions
Odviously very intelligent with knowledge of the products in hie department.

Interview Question – Questions were easy and to be expected for retail job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward . Professional, not a lot of unnecessary chatter.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Ran into former school buddy who was a lower level manager at the store. She found out I was looking for work and that one of the departments had just had an employee unexpectedly quit. She introduced me to the department manager, who I interviewed with. I was then told to submit a formal application, and was hired shortly thereafter.

Interview Question – Describe your sales experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. Minimum wage

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – What makes good customer service?

Interview Question – The interview is straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are able to negotiate the hourly wage in the commissioned departments. I was paid $14 + commission after a month

Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in November 2009.

Interview Details – Online application; group orientation; one-on-one with floor manager and HR. Best time to apply is the fall for seasonal work. If they like you, they will keep you. Also ask if that store is union.

Interview Question – Holiday hours can be very long and tiresome.   Answer Question

Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring manager contacted me a week or so after I applied online. She scheduled an interview with me with a department manager at the store and said that the store manager was not there that day and I would have to come back to be interviewed with her. I get a call a week later and she says they are ready for me to come back and interview. I get to the interview and it's the SAME department manager I interviewed with the first time and the EXACT same questions. It wasn't until the last question of the interview that she even realized she had seen me before and that she even recognized the answers to the questions she had ALREADY asked me. Anyway, that interview went well (again) and I sat down with the store manager and had a short, more personal interview and they hired me. A week later I went through an "at your own pace" computer training program that is supposed to take 2-3 days that I completed in maybe 2-3 hours. Not very thorough training to say the least.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions, mostly behavioral customer service questions such as, name a time when you handled a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue..   Answer Question

Coral Springs, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed by the department manager for a full time position. Met by senior manager and welcomed to Macy's. I went through a computer training for the cash register and company policies. I had a group meeting regarding customer service and ways to increase sales. Everything was covered for me to start working the register and the fundamentals of retail sales.

Interview Question – What special talents can you bring to our team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a base salary that everyone starts at which is minimum wage plus a chance to earn commission.

Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

Interview Details – describe a time where a customer was dissatisfied and what did you do to satisfy that customer?

Interview Question – why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they gave you the commissioned rates

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

Interview Details – applied on line. Called in for interview with the counter manager. She then took me to Human resources director, and we spoke. I then met with the store manager. Very unstructured process. No one went over my application, or resume in front of me.
Very easy to get hired at the store I worked at.

Interview Question – When can you start.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted another line not the one offered

Laguna Hills, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Interview Details – Must apply via the internet. I was contacted 1 week later for a face-to-face interview w/personnel. It was a one-on-one type screening interview. Representative said it went well and was going to setup a follow up interview with the cosemetic manager and myself. I am waiting for either an email or call to go to the next interview level.

Interview Question – Have I ever said anything that offended someone and how did I handle it?   View Answer

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!