Macy's Commissioned Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.0

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chula Vista, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

I applied in October, right when they began hiring for the holiday season. They emailed me within 3 days of submitting the application to schedule an interview. I was able to choose a date and time and arrived 20 minutes before my interview to talk to some of the employees and to calm my nerves. I was called in and the manager asked me who are you, why do you want to work for Macy's, and then a question about how I would help a customer who comes looking for a certain pair of jeans. I answered and she told me she wanted me to interview with the women's shoe manager for that position. I came in the next day and was asked what I would do if I didn't have an item the customer wanted. I answered, he said okay, and got my paperwork.

Interview Questions
  • A customer comes in looking for a pair of jeans, that isn't your department, so what do you do?   Answer Question
Non negotiable salary-base pay and commission after that

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Very pleasant interview. Manager was engaging,. Sincere and interested in who I am and what I could contribute. He was extremely polite and attentive without being pretentious. Interview asked appropriate questions
    Odviously very intelligent with knowledge of the products in hie department.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy and to be expected for retail job.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward . Professional, not a lot of unnecessary chatter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Ran into former school buddy who was a lower level manager at the store. She found out I was looking for work and that one of the departments had just had an employee unexpectedly quit. She introduced me to the department manager, who I interviewed with. I was then told to submit a formal application, and was hired shortly thereafter.

No negotiation phase. Minimum wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

What makes good customer service?

Interview Questions
    You are able to negotiate the hourly wage in the commissioned departments. I was paid $14 + commission after a month

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in November 2009.

Online application; group orientation; one-on-one with floor manager and HR. Best time to apply is the fall for seasonal work. If they like you, they will keep you. Also ask if that store is union.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

The hiring manager contacted me a week or so after I applied online. She scheduled an interview with me with a department manager at the store and said that the store manager was not there that day and I would have to come back to be interviewed with her. I get a call a week later and she says they are ready for me to come back and interview. I get to the interview and it's the SAME department manager I interviewed with the first time and the EXACT same questions. It wasn't until the last question of the interview that she even realized she had seen me before and that she even recognized the answers to the questions she had ALREADY asked me. Anyway, that interview went well (again) and I sat down with the store manager and had a short, more personal interview and they hired me. A week later I went through an "at your own pace" computer training program that is supposed to take 2-3 days that I completed in maybe 2-3 hours. Not very thorough training to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions, mostly behavioral customer service questions such as, name a time when you handled a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coral Springs, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Springs, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2011.

Interviewed by the department manager for a full time position. Met by senior manager and welcomed to Macy's. I went through a computer training for the cash register and company policies. I had a group meeting regarding customer service and ways to increase sales. Everything was covered for me to start working the register and the fundamentals of retail sales.

Interview Questions
    • What special talents can you bring to our team?   View Answer
    There is a base salary that everyone starts at which is minimum wage plus a chance to earn commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

describe a time where a customer was dissatisfied and what did you do to satisfy that customer?

Interview Questions
    they gave you the commissioned rates

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

applied on line. Called in for interview with the counter manager. She then took me to Human resources director, and we spoke. I then met with the store manager. Very unstructured process. No one went over my application, or resume in front of me.
    Very easy to get hired at the store I worked at.

Interview Questions

I wanted another line not the one offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laguna Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Must apply via the internet. I was contacted 1 week later for a face-to-face interview w/personnel. It was a one-on-one type screening interview. Representative said it went well and was going to setup a follow up interview with the cosemetic manager and myself. I am waiting for either an email or call to go to the next interview level.

Interview Questions
    • Have I ever said anything that offended someone and how did I handle it?   View Answer

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!