Macy's Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Lots of interviews. Up to 6. Start out basic interview then a phone interview then a talent interview and then a final in person interview. It is important to base answers off personal life and work experience. Talk about strategy and how you dealt with specific difficulties or situations.

Interview Questions

• Scenario and strategy interview questions... Based on personal experiences   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Annapolis, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Met with the store manager, after I received an email and picked time and date for the interview. The process was brief. He was reading the questions. The manager was really welcoming and friendly. After 15 min we finished, he gave me his card and told me I will be contacted in a few days from the vendor of Philosophy for a secondary interview. Same day I received a phone call and scheduled for the next day. Met with the vendor, told her about my experience. We were discussing the work process and I thought I was pretty much hired. She told me the next step will be a call from HR so we could discuss schedule and pay. Unfortunately 2 days later the store manager told me that they will hire another person who has experience working with the brand. However, he offered me another position with Clinique. 4 days later I got a call and scheduled another interview (talent plus). Thats for now.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? Do you have any experience with retail or cosmetics? Tell me about yourself. What is your availability? How would you sell our credit card? What motivates you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Orlando, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

interview process was long and intense into detail. Lots of questions asked also. Human resource department explained all the growth opportunity that are available within Macy's and the department stores.

Interview Questions

• Can you see this as a long term career   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Charleston, WV) in May 2015.

Interview

A friend referred me to the position. He had worked at this Macy's under a different counter and I applied online. They emailed me within three days and asked me to come in for an interview. I interviewed once with a person that had nothing to do with cosmetics because the person I was supposed to interview with had called off. I was granted another interview with the person I was supposed to interview with first, she liked me and told the brand rep of the counter to interview and call me. This phone interview was terrible. It was harsh and she was very rude to me. Ultimately I received the job.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

3 levels of interviews for a line with product allocation issues. Interviewed with Cosmetics Manager who didn't look the part, then interviewed with the Executive Manager of the cosmetic line, and then interviewed with the store manager.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I got a 2nd interview after meeting with a cosmetic rep. I was 15 minutes early at HR and followed the instructions on the phone. No one answered the extension. I called 3x and llft a message. It was 5 minutes past my interview appointment and no one came out. I asked a worker that came out of the locked door to let someone know i was there. A man came and interviewed me in a private room. He was very nice. Asked me basic interview questions. "Why do you want to work for Macy's? " He said i did well, but i was not available during the hours they needed full time which was all hours. It would have been nice to get that information before the 2nd interview so that both our times would not have been wasted.

Interview Questions

• How would you get a customer to keep buying from you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lees Summit, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Lees Summit, MO) in November 2014.

Interview

They asked me to come for the interview for Lancome counter manager post. My resume clearly showed that i was not the right candidate for the job as i had no previous experience for the similar job. I also applied for other seasonal part time and part time jobs for the sales associate post but was never calledfor the interview. The guy who was interviewing me was very intimidating. He found out in the first few minutes of our interview that i was a misfit but kept on asking me questions about different scenarios as a manager. I had to answer i do not know for one question as i had not been in that kind of situation before and i did not really know the company's policies. I did not grt the job. Got an email 3 days after the interview informing me about the declined offer.

Interview Questions

• How are you going to motivate a team member when you are not present at the counter?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Recruited by former supervisor. Interviewed with the store manager and then the account coordinator and account executive. Had a lot of experience in cosmetics and counter management so the interview process was more of a get to know you now vs. your management style from the past.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a difficult question that I could recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Difficult negotiation because I wanted a higher hourly rate because of my experience and it took a while to get it, but I eventually did.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applied online and immediately the next morning received an invitation to interview. Interviewed for close to an hour and a half, went very well and the interviewer said he would be recommending me to go on in the process. He stepped out to check availability of when the Sales Mgr would be back in to meet for a next interview. When he came back in he seemed legitimately confused and embarrassed to tell me he was told the position was already earmarked for another candidate. It was awkward and clearly an internal miscommunication. He was going to pass my resume and interview results on to other departments for consideration of other positions. I left still feeling positive despite the situation, however in receiving no further communication after close to a month, will probably not pursue other positions in the future. Disappointed, I've held Macy's in high regard for many years and intentionally sought them out over any other company to consider returning back to the retail management industry.

Interview Questions

• Basic managerial questions: describe a time I turned a negative employee experience into a positive.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Interview

After applying on a Sunday I received an email for me to schedule an interview online. I selected the soonest date and prepared for the interview. I arrived at my scheduled appt. Time and the receptionist was on a break so I had an associate page her. Once she arrived she paged the head of cosmetics to meet with me. We hit it off immediately so much that she did my second interview on the spot with a higher end luxury brand than what I originally applied for.After the second interview which was also a pleasure I was called to do what is called a technical interview the following week. I already knew in cosmetics a tech interview means they want to evaluate your make up application skills on someone what I didn't know id I would be doing the manager of Chanel. She was so nice and I did a great job so I am now currently waiting on my start date.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult if you come prepared and are honest   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy just be firm do research on what similar positions are paid.