Macy's

2.3

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Recruited by former supervisor. Interviewed with the store manager and then the account coordinator and account executive. Had a lot of experience in cosmetics and counter management so the interview process was more of a get to know you now vs. your management style from the past.

Interview Questions
  • There wasn't a difficult question that I could recall.   Answer Question
Difficult negotiation because I wanted a higher hourly rate because of my experience and it took a while to get it, but I eventually did.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and immediately the next morning received an invitation to interview. Interviewed for close to an hour and a half, went very well and the interviewer said he would be recommending me to go on in the process. He stepped out to check availability of when the Sales Mgr would be back in to meet for a next interview. When he came back in he seemed legitimately confused and embarrassed to tell me he was told the position was already earmarked for another candidate. It was awkward and clearly an internal miscommunication. He was going to pass my resume and interview results on to other departments for consideration of other positions. I left still feeling positive despite the situation, however in receiving no further communication after close to a month, will probably not pursue other positions in the future. Disappointed, I've held Macy's in high regard for many years and intentionally sought them out over any other company to consider returning back to the retail management industry.

Interview Questions
    • Basic managerial questions: describe a time I turned a negative employee experience into a positive.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

After applying on a Sunday I received an email for me to schedule an interview online. I selected the soonest date and prepared for the interview. I arrived at my scheduled appt. Time and the receptionist was on a break so I had an associate page her. Once she arrived she paged the head of cosmetics to meet with me. We hit it off immediately so much that she did my second interview on the spot with a higher end luxury brand than what I originally applied for.After the second interview which was also a pleasure I was called to do what is called a technical interview the following week.
    I already knew in cosmetics a tech interview means they want to evaluate your make up application skills on someone what I didn't know id I would be doing the manager of Chanel. She was so nice and I did a great job so I am now currently waiting on my start date.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult if you come prepared and are honest   View Answer
    Easy just be firm do research on what similar positions are paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

filled out online application, then was called in for face to face interview. interviewed with department manager and then phone interview with cosmetics account executive. whole process took about 5 days

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time that you didnt like a customer   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

I applied online to be a Clinique Counter Manager. Basic online application with personality test. After a couple days I received an email to schedule an interview online. I went in for my interview a week later. The email directed me where to go and when I got there I had to find someone to talk to. They told me to wait at the end of the hallway where my interviewer was at least ten minutes late. She took me to a private room. I did not like the vibes of this woman. She was standoffish and seemed snobby. I'll admit I'm not very good at interviews since I have not been on many but I was very qualified for this job since I have been in the cosmetics department of a drug store for 8 years and a manager of the department for 4. I told her I am cross trained and often split my time in four different departments including photo and pharmacy and that I would be very excited to be able to focus my time and manage the cosmetics counter and she seemed to take that as me hating multi tasking. And then she mentioned that the hours would be constantly changing and I would be close opening a lot as well as being on call and floating between all departments in the store. Apparently I was not interviewing for counter manager after all? In response to one of her questions I said we had a new girl that was shy that I was doing well to bring her out of her shell and she was becoming a good sales person. She was outraged that they would higher a shy girl. Umm sorry I don't do the highering but did you hear me say I was successfully training her? This lady frustrated me so much I just gave up! It didn't go well, I didn't hear back and I didn't try to contact them. Someone eventually called me to offer me a job three weeks later and I didn't even bother.

Interview Questions
    • How would you tell a customer about a product if you know nothing about it? I said you read the information on the package. She said that was good and most people get that question wrong.   Answer Question

Did not like the interviewer and she did not try to sell me on the job. You're going to work terrible hours are you ok with that?

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I applied online at macys.com. The next day I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview online. I followed the link on the website and it allowed me to choose a date ant time. During the interview, I was informed that the position would require working every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as well as closing 2 nights a week. Time off must be requested 6 weeks ahead of time. Each month you will get to block out three days that you do not want to work. Pay range is $12 - $15 per hour. I found this distasteful for a management position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was very generic. The interviewer read the questions straight off of the paper. She never inquired about my resume.   View Answers (2)

I didn't see many benefits to being a manager.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, then called in for initial interview with Department Manager, then I had an interview with the Account Executive.

Interview Questions
    • What percentage increase can you commit too for your team?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

I applied online and received an email response back 14 hours later to schedule the initial interview. I met with the Cosmetics Manager who was very easy to talk to and who had a very pleasant demeanor--it was like we were two friends who were meeting again after being apart for a year or two. She asked typical interview questions that pertained to my prior managerial experience, and asked a couple of scenario questions (What would you do if...?). Though I initially applied for the position with a specific vendor, she thought I would be a better fit with another, and at the end of my interview (which went very well) she said the vendor rep would be in touch with me in the next few days. She also talked to me a bit on how to approach the next interview and coached me through some possible questions. The feedback was great!

Because it was a holiday weekend, I wasn't alarmed that it was 3 days later that she called me back to inform me that the vendor had been out of town and would contact me the next business day.

She did. My 2nd interview was scheduled for the following day (7 days after the 1st) and I met with the vendor. At first I wasn't sure how it went. Aside from asking questions geared toward getting to know me and my prior exposure/experience with the brand, the only real thing she asked was what I would do if one of my employees was performing sub-par to the brand expectations. My response was in multiple parts (below).

On the way out I ran into the department manager who, after talking to the vendor rep said she'd really liked me, putting me at ease a bit. She said they had to complete a few interviews that week and she'd be in touch with me by the end of the week with a decision.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if an employee failed to meet brand expectations in performance?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in February 2013.

After applying online to the Macy's in Burbank, they emailed me and allowed me to go online to schedule my own interview. Two days later I went in to interview with the cosmetics manager from Macy's. It was a very standard interview, and nothing about it really surprised me. I felt confident about my chances once I left that.
    Two weeks later I met with a Benefit manager of the district, she arranged to meet me at a starbucks, changed the time on me twice, and then arrived late. She was intimidating, rude and I felt very deflated about the whole thing. She asked me standard questions about the positions, but since I have no manager experience, she took on a condescending tone and I think she wrote me off right then. I felt that I answered all the questions honestly, and correctly. I was never contacted again after that interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you motivate your staff if they were not meeting their sales goals?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Interviewer arrived 15 minutes late, and when I arrived about 5 minutes early they were shocked to see me there that early. First thing interviewer said was I noticed your minimum wage is significantly higher than what we pay. Second thing being that they didn't even have the position I was applying for and she explained that all they had was a non-commissioned on call position and it paid about 50% less my minimum wage to be accepted. They should have never scheduled this interview for me. I also have never been so over dressed for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • None, because I stopped her before we really got started.   Answer Question