Macy's Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and immediately the next morning received an invitation to interview. Interviewed for close to an hour and a half, went very well and the interviewer said he would be recommending me to go on in the process. He stepped out to check availability of when the Sales Mgr would be back in to meet for a next interview. When he came back in he seemed legitimately confused and embarrassed to tell me he was told the position was already earmarked for another candidate. It was awkward and clearly an internal miscommunication. He was going to pass my resume and interview results on to other departments for consideration of other positions. I left still feeling positive despite the situation, however in receiving no further communication after close to a month, will probably not pursue other positions in the future. Disappointed, I've held Macy's in high regard for many years and intentionally sought them out over any other company to consider returning back to the retail management industry.

Interview Questions
  • Basic managerial questions: describe a time I turned a negative employee experience into a positive.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

After applying on a Sunday I received an email for me to schedule an interview online. I selected the soonest date and prepared for the interview. I arrived at my scheduled appt. Time and the receptionist was on a break so I had an associate page her. Once she arrived she paged the head of cosmetics to meet with me. We hit it off immediately so much that she did my second interview on the spot with a higher end luxury brand than what I originally applied for.After the second interview which was also a pleasure I was called to do what is called a technical interview the following week.
    I already knew in cosmetics a tech interview means they want to evaluate your make up application skills on someone what I didn't know id I would be doing the manager of Chanel. She was so nice and I did a great job so I am now currently waiting on my start date.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult if you come prepared and are honest   View Answer
    Easy just be firm do research on what similar positions are paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

filled out online application, then was called in for face to face interview. interviewed with department manager and then phone interview with cosmetics account executive. whole process took about 5 days

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time that you didnt like a customer   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

The interviewing process is very detailed an some what long.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult if you have previous experience.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Multiple interviews with both retailer and vendor managers/executives; because my counter is one of the Estee Lauder brands, a Talent Plus phone interview was also required, which assesses personality based traits that tend to make one successful/happy in the position; Macy's values ability to multi-task, drive business, obtain successful results; vendor values strength based qualities such as positivity which will emerge in managing teams and setting the example for the team in dealing with customers

Interview Questions
    • What specific plans do you have ready to implement that will grow the business?   Answer Question

Counter Manager Cosmetics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2010.

I was recommended to apply for a position at the Falls Mall in Miami. I was applying for a position in the Cosmetics department. I have years of experience, hold both cosmetology and Facial Specialist License n the state of Florida. When I showed up on time for my interview which eas to be conducted by the manager, she said she was too busy to interview me and that the Store Manager would interview me instead. It was obvious to me that she was not interested in me because if my age. I saw her whisper to the Store manager something,but did not hear her. The store manager told me to come into his office and told me he was new on the job. I could see he was not really able to ask me the questions normally asked in an interview for a job in the cosmetics department and spent the entire interview taking about moving to Miami and about his family. The only thing he did was to read my resume and told me I was very experienced and was impressed by the fact that I had owned my own skin care salon at one point. When i left with no offer for an interview with the department manager; who was still in the HR department when I left his office, I knew she wanted to hire a younger person and obviously was discriminating because of my age. I left but never reported it because it is so hard to prove it.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I liked Miami and was shocked by the question as it had nothing to do with the job. The store manager had no idea how to interview me for a cosmetics position so he just kept basically making small talk.   View Answer

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I applied online at macys.com. The next day I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview online. I followed the link on the website and it allowed me to choose a date ant time. During the interview, I was informed that the position would require working every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as well as closing 2 nights a week. Time off must be requested 6 weeks ahead of time. Each month you will get to block out three days that you do not want to work. Pay range is $12 - $15 per hour. I found this distasteful for a management position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was very generic. The interviewer read the questions straight off of the paper. She never inquired about my resume.   View Answers (2)

I didn't see many benefits to being a manager.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, then called in for initial interview with Department Manager, then I had an interview with the Account Executive.

Interview Questions
    • What percentage increase can you commit too for your team?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

I applied online and received an email response back 14 hours later to schedule the initial interview. I met with the Cosmetics Manager who was very easy to talk to and who had a very pleasant demeanor--it was like we were two friends who were meeting again after being apart for a year or two. She asked typical interview questions that pertained to my prior managerial experience, and asked a couple of scenario questions (What would you do if...?). Though I initially applied for the position with a specific vendor, she thought I would be a better fit with another, and at the end of my interview (which went very well) she said the vendor rep would be in touch with me in the next few days. She also talked to me a bit on how to approach the next interview and coached me through some possible questions. The feedback was great!

Because it was a holiday weekend, I wasn't alarmed that it was 3 days later that she called me back to inform me that the vendor had been out of town and would contact me the next business day.

She did. My 2nd interview was scheduled for the following day (7 days after the 1st) and I met with the vendor. At first I wasn't sure how it went. Aside from asking questions geared toward getting to know me and my prior exposure/experience with the brand, the only real thing she asked was what I would do if one of my employees was performing sub-par to the brand expectations. My response was in multiple parts (below).

On the way out I ran into the department manager who, after talking to the vendor rep said she'd really liked me, putting me at ease a bit. She said they had to complete a few interviews that week and she'd be in touch with me by the end of the week with a decision.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if an employee failed to meet brand expectations in performance?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

Very detailed, lots of hoops, interviews & auditions

I got what I wanted. I was recruited

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!