Macy's Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

filled out online application, then was called in for face to face interview. interviewed with department manager and then phone interview with cosmetics account executive. whole process took about 5 days

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

The interviewing process is very detailed an some what long.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult if you have previous experience.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Multiple interviews with both retailer and vendor managers/executives; because my counter is one of the Estee Lauder brands, a Talent Plus phone interview was also required, which assesses personality based traits that tend to make one successful/happy in the position; Macy's values ability to multi-task, drive business, obtain successful results; vendor values strength based qualities such as positivity which will emerge in managing teams and setting the example for the team in dealing with customers

Interview Questions
    • What specific plans do you have ready to implement that will grow the business?   Answer Question

Counter Manager Cosmetics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2010.

I was recommended to apply for a position at the Falls Mall in Miami. I was applying for a position in the Cosmetics department. I have years of experience, hold both cosmetology and Facial Specialist License n the state of Florida. When I showed up on time for my interview which eas to be conducted by the manager, she said she was too busy to interview me and that the Store Manager would interview me instead. It was obvious to me that she was not interested in me because if my age. I saw her whisper to the Store manager something,but did not hear her. The store manager told me to come into his office and told me he was new on the job. I could see he was not really able to ask me the questions normally asked in an interview for a job in the cosmetics department and spent the entire interview taking about moving to Miami and about his family. The only thing he did was to read my resume and told me I was very experienced and was impressed by the fact that I had owned my own skin care salon at one point. When i left with no offer for an interview with the department manager; who was still in the HR department when I left his office, I knew she wanted to hire a younger person and obviously was discriminating because of my age. I left but never reported it because it is so hard to prove it.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I liked Miami and was shocked by the question as it had nothing to do with the job. The store manager had no idea how to interview me for a cosmetics position so he just kept basically making small talk.   View Answer

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I applied online at macys.com. The next day I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview online. I followed the link on the website and it allowed me to choose a date ant time. During the interview, I was informed that the position would require working every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as well as closing 2 nights a week. Time off must be requested 6 weeks ahead of time. Each month you will get to block out three days that you do not want to work. Pay range is $12 - $15 per hour. I found this distasteful for a management position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was very generic. The interviewer read the questions straight off of the paper. She never inquired about my resume.   View Answers (2)

I didn't see many benefits to being a manager.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, then called in for initial interview with Department Manager, then I had an interview with the Account Executive.

Interview Questions
    • What percentage increase can you commit too for your team?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

I applied online and received an email response back 14 hours later to schedule the initial interview. I met with the Cosmetics Manager who was very easy to talk to and who had a very pleasant demeanor--it was like we were two friends who were meeting again after being apart for a year or two. She asked typical interview questions that pertained to my prior managerial experience, and asked a couple of scenario questions (What would you do if...?). Though I initially applied for the position with a specific vendor, she thought I would be a better fit with another, and at the end of my interview (which went very well) she said the vendor rep would be in touch with me in the next few days. She also talked to me a bit on how to approach the next interview and coached me through some possible questions. The feedback was great!

Because it was a holiday weekend, I wasn't alarmed that it was 3 days later that she called me back to inform me that the vendor had been out of town and would contact me the next business day.

She did. My 2nd interview was scheduled for the following day (7 days after the 1st) and I met with the vendor. At first I wasn't sure how it went. Aside from asking questions geared toward getting to know me and my prior exposure/experience with the brand, the only real thing she asked was what I would do if one of my employees was performing sub-par to the brand expectations. My response was in multiple parts (below).

On the way out I ran into the department manager who, after talking to the vendor rep said she'd really liked me, putting me at ease a bit. She said they had to complete a few interviews that week and she'd be in touch with me by the end of the week with a decision.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if an employee failed to meet brand expectations in performance?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

Very detailed, lots of hoops, interviews & auditions

I got what I wanted. I was recruited

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Marlboro, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlboro, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Macy's in January 2010.

Hiring process.A lot like hearding cattle. I now know why.Marcy's has a high turnover.I was excited to INTERVIEW. Took 3 months of my calling back to get the position.

Interview Questions
    • How are your skills opening charge accounts   View Answer
    Shockingly insulting.However I excepted the position with intentions to move up.I did what I had to do gleeefully and succeeded. Now I have been made to feel I have over stayed my welcome.Are you serious?

Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2013.

After applying online to the Macy's in Burbank, they emailed me and allowed me to go online to schedule my own interview. Two days later I went in to interview with the cosmetics manager from Macy's. It was a very standard interview, and nothing about it really surprised me. I felt confident about my chances once I left that.
    Two weeks later I met with a Benefit manager of the district, she arranged to meet me at a starbucks, changed the time on me twice, and then arrived late. She was intimidating, rude and I felt very deflated about the whole thing. She asked me standard questions about the positions, but since I have no manager experience, she took on a condescending tone and I think she wrote me off right then. I felt that I answered all the questions honestly, and correctly. I was never contacted again after that interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you motivate your staff if they were not meeting their sales goals?   View Answer

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!