Macy's

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Temecula, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an interview. Interview went well & was invited to a second interview. The woman said that the manager from the cosmetics counter would give me a call in a couple days to set up the interview. Called a week or two later to check in about it & couldn't get ahold of anyone. Left two messages throughout the week and never got called back. About a month and a half later, I went in to the counter that I was supposed to interview for and asked the associate about my situation. She told me that it took them 8 weeks to call her and not to worry about it. Never got a call. This was months ago. Don't tell people that they have a second interview and then never call them. Very unprofessional.

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Macy's is a very nice clean store where they assist you kindly and straight to the point.
Very comfortable place and very friendly. But all of that can mislead you to over confidence that you got the job. They make it seem like you're right and are a right candidate but then decline so so positive but don't over think it.

Interview Question – If a customer only wants to buy lipstick how would you get them to buy something other then that?   Answer Question

Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applies online. Got interview appt 2 days later. Initial interview was fine. Nothing hard. Was told I was exactly what they were looking for and was excited to have me. At close of interview I asked when I would hear back. I was told next week sometime. By Friday of next week nothing. I called back. Another interview with counter executive for the following week "sometime" Tuesday following week executive called. Very rude. Said I would hear back by end of week from original interviewer. Never heard from either person. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – You do realize this is a very demanding and high pressure job?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online I received an email to scheduled an interview date online. The only time available was a week later. At the interview I was told that the position had been filled and asked me if I would be interested in another department which I wasn't interested in. She said she would bench my application to be considered for future openings.

Interview Question – How would you sell a customer on opening up a Macy's account?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Hiring process has taken almost 4 weeks including multiple in person and phone interviews. Interview questions ranged from professional experience to experience being involved with a team. Overall pleasant experience yet unsatisfied with the length of the process.

Interview Question – Name a past experience when dealing with a difficult person and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in December 2012.

Interview Details – Went in for an interview after applying online, was asked what I purchase in cosmetics and if I shopped there. It was a seasonal position and I was hired five minutes later. I think they hire seasonal associates to shop there which is fine with me because you do get 30% off the entire store, plus 50% off during back office sales.

Interview Question – How would I sell my most favorite product.   View Answer

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Sales Associate Cosmetics
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online in 2009 during early November. I had previous retail management experience but since I was relocating before I found a job I applied where I knew I had the better chance of being hired. My application was responded to within about 24 hours for an interview set up which I did the next day. There were about 15 other people waiting for an interview (holiday help mostly) and I got lucky enough to meet the cosmetics manager who noticed my resume and set me up with an interview with my vendor. From there I did a personality test and then met with my vendor who instructed Macys to hire me. It was a 3-4 interview kind of process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes I was better able to negotiate when I transferred from one store to another (its very easy! so good if you move often).

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Sales Associate Cosmetics
Woodland Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

Interview Details – FIlled out application and personality test online with resume attached, got called in for a 1:1 interview with department store manager. Asked general sales questions as many has listed here. I was prepared and did well. They made me aware of there flexi schedule, they they were looking for someone who would likely work different department, and that you had meet their, rminimum requirements of selling their reward credit cards. Manager said I will hear back from her the next day, but never heard anything.

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Question – How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2009.

Interview Details – They asked a lot of questions about customer service and asked me to sell them a pen! All I did was describe the pen and its features and the many ways that it's useful. Then they asked me to describe myself. Overall the important thing is to be yourself and you should be fine. =)

Interview Questions

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!