Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Sales Associate Cosmetics
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online in 2009 during early November. I had previous retail management experience but since I was relocating before I found a job I applied where I knew I had the better chance of being hired. My application was responded to within about 24 hours for an interview set up which I did the next day. There were about 15 other people waiting for an interview (holiday help mostly) and I got lucky enough to meet the cosmetics manager who noticed my resume and set me up with an interview with my vendor. From there I did a personality test and then met with my vendor who instructed Macys to hire me. It was a 3-4 interview kind of process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes I was better able to negotiate when I transferred from one store to another (its very easy! so good if you move often).

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Sales Associate Cosmetics
Woodland Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

Interview Details – FIlled out application and personality test online with resume attached, got called in for a 1:1 interview with department store manager. Asked general sales questions as many has listed here. I was prepared and did well. They made me aware of there flexi schedule, they they were looking for someone who would likely work different department, and that you had meet their, rminimum requirements of selling their reward credit cards. Manager said I will hear back from her the next day, but never heard anything.

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Question – How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2009.

Interview Details – They asked a lot of questions about customer service and asked me to sell them a pen! All I did was describe the pen and its features and the many ways that it's useful. Then they asked me to describe myself. Overall the important thing is to be yourself and you should be fine. =)

Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied online after seeing the job posting on Yahoo Hot Jobs. Lengthy application process with personality test. The following day received email that they wanted to interview. Scheduled online. First interview with the HR, then second with the GM. Called back to interview with the Account Coordinator of line. Then another with the Account Exec of the line. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – where would you like to be in 5 years.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Interview Details – the interviewer was like 1 hour late and then he asked me some tough questions

Burlington, VT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initially I spoke with the hiring manager over the phone and set up an interview date and time. When I arrived at 11 a.m. I was sent to the executive offices on the second floor. I met with one woman who asked me to come into her office and we spoke a bit. She asked me questions such as what I knew about cosmetics, what kind of experience I had, and so on. However, for me the most important questions were what my future plans were and what kind of pay I was expecting. Coming in at the bottom of the ladder I explained that I didn't expect high pay but that I would work hard and hopefully with experience that promotions would be made available to me. I asked questions about the dress code and certain company policies which she seemed to enjoy hearing.

The people in the office seemed pretty friendly and overall everyone was quite polite. Being a weekday around noon there weren't too many shoppers around so the mood was pretty relaxed. Overall quite nice!

Interview Question – What do you plan on doing in five years? Where do you see yourself?   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2009.

Interview Details – I applied via the online application website at Macys.com, in early July, and got e-mailed for an interview in mid-July. This was for the Origins sales counter. I saw the head of Macy's sales associates, and then the store manager on the same day. They forwarded me to the Origins interviewer, who interviewed me by phone, but I didn't get that position. Macy's called me back with a different position, but I declined that one.

Interview Question – Describe a time you were on a winning team (Origins)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offered position was in a department I did not feel qualified for.Overall, they were very nice.

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Interview Details – Total 5 rounds of interview. 1st round with the in-store hiring manager (somewhat along that level) who gave the go-ahead for interview with the Cosmetics manager. The Cosmetics manager passed me, and brought me to the Counter manager. Then I met with the retail coordinator. And finally a last round of structured phone interview with Estee Lauder itself. Questions include rating your sales experience, if you're comfortable applying makeup on customer's face, how would you recommend a product to a customer, describe a time you delivered good customer service, how would you handle a difficult co-worker etc.

Interview Question – What do you think makes a good customer? Are you someone who sells the product or an experience?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in December 2010.

Interview Details – Easy questions were asked. I was looking for a cosmetic associate position and they informed me that they are already in process of hiring someone but will keep my application on file!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Cosmetics Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.