Macy's Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.7

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and got an interview. Interview went well & was invited to a second interview. The woman said that the manager from the cosmetics counter would give me a call in a couple days to set up the interview. Called a week or two later to check in about it & couldn't get ahold of anyone. Left two messages throughout the week and never got called back. About a month and a half later, I went in to the counter that I was supposed to interview for and asked the associate about my situation. She told me that it took them 8 weeks to call her and not to worry about it. Never got a call. This was months ago. Don't tell people that they have a second interview and then never call them. Very unprofessional.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Macy's is a very nice clean store where they assist you kindly and straight to the point.
    Very comfortable place and very friendly. But all of that can mislead you to over confidence that you got the job. They make it seem like you're right and are a right candidate but then decline so so positive but don't over think it.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer only wants to buy lipstick how would you get them to buy something other then that?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applies online. Got interview appt 2 days later. Initial interview was fine. Nothing hard. Was told I was exactly what they were looking for and was excited to have me. At close of interview I asked when I would hear back. I was told next week sometime. By Friday of next week nothing. I called back. Another interview with counter executive for the following week "sometime" Tuesday following week executive called. Very rude. Said I would hear back by end of week from original interviewer. Never heard from either person. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • You do realize this is a very demanding and high pressure job?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Hiring process has taken almost 4 weeks including multiple in person and phone interviews. Interview questions ranged from professional experience to experience being involved with a team. Overall pleasant experience yet unsatisfied with the length of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a past experience when dealing with a difficult person and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

After applying online I received an email to scheduled an interview date online. The only time available was a week later. At the interview I was told that the position had been filled and asked me if I would be interested in another department which I wasn't interested in. She said she would bench my application to be considered for future openings.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a customer on opening up a Macy's account?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

I applied online, which was the most difficult and outrageous process I've ever come across, namely the personality test. Most of the 300+ questions on the test were very strange and almost impossible to answer. A few that stick out in my head are "A good manager disciplines employees who don't have good sales numbers", "A good manager will threaten not giving a raise to make employees work harder" "Whats more important, the details or the big picture?" "My coworkers always know how I am feeling" "The facts are more important than the results?" "If I know my boss is wrong I will correct them" and lots of other weird questions that don't really have a good answer either way, all while repeatedly reminding you that the test cant be cheated & that you will be asked questions different ways to weed out those of you who aren't being honest. After taking the more than 3 hours to complete the entire application process, I got an email for me to schedule a time to come in for an interview, I selected the first one available. I went upstairs to the Management area and sat for quite a long time (45 mins) before finally being brought in for the interview. The interview went really well, the interviewer was very nice, it was mainly asking questions about myself & going over some of the questions on the personality test they wanted to ask me again. I looked up information on the personality test I took and found out it is designed to find employers perfect replicas of their top earning employee, and once completed the tester will send a personalized recommendation of "Recommended hire, recommended with hesitation, and Not recommended". So no matter how you answer the questions, if you're not similar to their best earners in personality, you will not be hired. Also, your application info & results are sent to the cosmetic brands they sell for review of the person applying and get a big say so on whether or not you're hired, all without even meeting you.

Interview Questions
    • What's more important, the details or the big picture?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in December 2012.

Went in for an interview after applying online, was asked what I purchase in cosmetics and if I shopped there. It was a seasonal position and I was hired five minutes later. I think they hire seasonal associates to shop there which is fine with me because you do get 30% off the entire store, plus 50% off during back office sales.

Interview Questions
    • How would I sell my most favorite product.   View Answer

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

FIlled out application and personality test online with resume attached, got called in for a 1:1 interview with department store manager. Asked general sales questions as many has listed here. I was prepared and did well. They made me aware of there flexi schedule, they they were looking for someone who would likely work different department, and that you had meet their, rminimum requirements of selling their reward credit cards. Manager said I will hear back from her the next day, but never heard anything.

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

Applied online in 2009 during early November. I had previous retail management experience but since I was relocating before I found a job I applied where I knew I had the better chance of being hired. My application was responded to within about 24 hours for an interview set up which I did the next day. There were about 15 other people waiting for an interview (holiday help mostly) and I got lucky enough to meet the cosmetics manager who noticed my resume and set me up with an interview with my vendor. From there I did a personality test and then met with my vendor who instructed Macys to hire me. It was a 3-4 interview kind of process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one positive experience and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe one negative experience and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    Yes I was better able to negotiate when I transferred from one store to another (its very easy! so good if you move often).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Questions
    • How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   View Answers (2)
    There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.