Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Beauty Advisor (Part-time) Interview

Beauty Advisor (Part-time)
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invitation for an interview via email. Very easy process. Picked a time online that worked, and came in to interview with HR. He asked very basic questions and it lasted only 15 minutes. He said he liked my experience and would pass my resume on to the cosmetics manager. I was invited back a few days later to interview with her and she said she really liked me and I was what they were looking for because she liked my sales background - even though I had no cosmetics experience. Same type of questions, nothing difficult - standard questions. A week later I was interviewed with the brand manager. This one lasted 2 hours. An hour with him and I got grilled. Then he softened up and started to like me, so I knew it was heading in a good direction. He then brought me down to the counter. I was then interviewed by the counter manager and someone else associated with the brand but I forget what she does. They really liked me and offered me the job right after. I was able to negotiate a better base and I'm satisfied. Base plus 3% commission - and very happy with it. Everyone was super nice. Just be confident and you have to sell yourself. It was harder than I thought to get a beauty advisor job but I like the flexibility of the hours. Weekends are required.

Interview Question – All very standard: name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer; how comfortable are you working on a team; are you comfortable working for commission; can you work nights and weekends   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a base. I asked for 3 extra dollars per hour. He said he couldn't go that high. I said I would meet them in the middle. I was offered $1.50 extra per hour.

Retail Cosmetics Sales - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder/Clinique, Part Time Interview

Retail Cosmetics Sales - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder/Clinique, Part Time
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email to schedule an interview a day after applying. After scheduling the interview, I received an email with instructions to the store and the HR Department. On the day of the interview, I arrived a few minutes early. The lady confirmed my name and asked I give her a couple minutes. Promptly after she asked I follow her to her manager's office. The lady failed to introduce herself (thanks to her name tag, I knew her name). She began the interview by telling me the position had been filled but wanted to interview me anyway. After a series of questions regarding the Beauty Advisor position, she informed me of an opened management position she thought I would qualify for. She began to ask me questions regarding my management style.

Interview Question – What made me a great manager? I was taken by surprise by this questions as I was not applying for a management position, thus I was not prepared for such question.   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, got phone call for interview. Did personality test. Offered over the phone. Reported to store HR for training.

Interview Question – What would my last employer say about my work eithic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Administrative Support Team Associate Interview

Administrative Support Team Associate
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2010.

Interview Details – The process was easy and smooth flowing. I submitted an application online and received invitation for interview the next day. The interview went great involving typical questions of "Why Macy's?" and how to deal with several managers.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and recieved an email asking me to schedule an interview. While the interviewer was 40 minutes late, the interview itself was quite easy. They asked about my goal-setting experience, how I felt about working on teams, why did I want to work at Macy's, etc. Afterwards I was offered a position on the spot. The next week I came in for training which was a bunch of computer lessons and quizes and then a tour of the store.

Interview Question – All standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said you will make minimum wage for training and $8.25/hour after that. I could either accecpt or decline. No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Employee Interview

Seasonal Employee
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

Interview Details – I got a call about 3 days after I applied asking me to come in. They were upfront about the salary over the phone. I came in and they explained the job to me and asked me only if I was interested in that kind of work. I said yes and I was immediately hired.

Interview Question – I didn't really get any questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. They were firm on the pay. No wiggle room at all.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was a single 15 minute one-on-one interview with the store's sales manager. Aside from the "Tell me about yourself" question, I was asked only one situational question, "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a troublesome employee and how did you handle it?".

My observations: I arrived early for my 10 AM interview to observe the store environment. Macy's stores at this time of year are immaculate, very high energy environments with well-dressed, respectful employees. My perception as a customer is that Macy's is a cut above their competitors in this aspect. The Interview environment: When I arrived at the General Office located in the back of the store, there was one other interviewee present who was cleanly casually dressed. I dressed in suit (coordinated but non-matching slacks), white shirt & tie. Sales Manager wore light-colored shirt, no tie or coat, with black slacks; well trimmed mustache & goatee. After the interview, I found a half-dozen people in the interview waiting area. Surprisingly, all were casually dressed! some in tee-shirts and jeans.

Interview Questions

Wedding Registry Consultant Interview

Wedding Registry Consultant
Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

Interview Details – This was horrible! they called me to come in and interview for 2 days later. I went in and had to wait for 35 minutes because there was no hiring manager in the office. When someone finally came they told me that they filled that position 2 weeks ago, and that there were no opportunities. No one bothered to call me beforehand to tell me not to come in. They were really rude, and I dont think i'll ever apply to them again!

Interview Question – no questions asked!   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initial interview process was a surprise, I was expecting a one on one, not the group interview that happened. I was the most experienced one there and felt I was placed in the wrong group. Didn't even have to say much and was offered a job several days later.

Interview Question – What can you contribute to the Company?   Answer Question

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!