Macy's Executive Development Program Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I just came back from my trip to the Macy's on-site interview, which is in NYC. They flew me out for this trip, covered my expenses for taxis, and provided us dinner and breakfast/lunch the following day. Day 1 consists of introductions and a business exploration activity at the Herald Square Macy's. Remember to take a lot of notes, as you will be talking about your experience on the second day with a merchant executive. Day 2 is very long and intense, consisting of 1 group presentation/project on a case study, a retail math test, 1 interview with an HR rep, and 1 interview with a merchant executive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and how you accomplished it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Executive Development Program Interview

Interview

First completed an application online. About a month after submitting application received an e-mail to set up a phone interview. Completed phone interview and a week later did a video chat interview. From there was selected to interview in Miami during 2 day process. There were several components to interview including round robin report reading with other candidates and one on ones with several executives.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I was recruited from an interview fair on campus in April. I was then contacted for a phone interview a week and a half later, and then had a video interview later that week. At the beginning of May, I was flown out for a two-day interview. The first day consisted of introductions, a store walk through, and a very nice dinner. The second day we had a series of four interviews and two discussions. The four interviews consisted of two one-on-one interviews, an individual business acumen interview, and finally a group interview. The two discussions consisted of great information about the company and the program. The following week I received an offer and accepted it. The whole process was amazing, and I felt as though they really cared about their candidates, regardless of if they were to get an offer or not. We were treated really well (the hotel was great), and the people running the interview process were super nice. It was a really great learning experience, and I would recommend Macy's as a company.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a time you had a disagreement with your boss, and how did you confront the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through my university career website. Initial interview with HR - very easy, straight forward questions about previous experience and some behavioral. Second interview with director of the department. More difficult behavioral questions but nothing crazy. Nice conversations - very laid back.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work in large groups, small groups, or individually?   Answer Question

Received a better offer from another company. This internship was too short - 8 weeks.

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applied through university. Had two on-campus interviews, the first was behavioral and the second was a decision-making activity/presentation. After that about 2 weeks later I got invited to a two day interview in Miami, FL. Day 1 you learned more about Macys and the program. Day 2 consisted in 2 group interviews/presentations similar to on-campus and 2 individual behavioral interviews. Plus 2 chats where you can learn more about position. Super great experience! Hotel accommodations were nice. Interview was on Wednesday, heard back the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to implement change and received resistance?   1 Answer

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Met a recruiter during an on-campus career fair who followed up about a week later inviting me to an information session. From there I had a first-round interview with the head recruiter. She was extremely helpful, and made the process very positive. About a week later, I had a second round interview with a regional director who asked mainly STAR and behavioral questions. He answered all of my questions, and took down location preferences. Shortly after I was invited to a two-day on-site interview at the closest regional location. They brought in about 30 candidates and we went through a series of individual and group interviews.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions; nothing out of the ordinary the first few rounds. During the on-site interviews there were a few difficult behavioral exercises we were expected to complete with our peers. Basically what they're looking for is for those who stand out of the crowd and who are not afraid to speak up.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

Interview

The first round of interviews consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. One of them was a basic behavioral interview and the second was a coaching exercise. Once I made it past the first round, I was flown out to the onsite location for the final round of interviews. On the first day, we had executives tell us more about the company and its strategy, we went on a store tour, and then ended the day with a nice dinner. The second day is when the interviewing happens. There are 4 interviews: 1 behavioral interview, 1 personalized interview based on your online assessment, 1 individual case study presentation, and 1 group presentation. If you make it to the second round, my advice is to be confident and be yourself. If you make it that far, they already think you're great so don't be nervous.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when you had to change other people's opinion and how you went about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I initially emailed the recruiter in late September and had my phone screen interview in early October, a Skype interview with a buyer in mid February, and then my final in-person NYC interview in late March. During the on-site assessment there is a retail math test, group 'project', and two individual interviews. One with HR and one with a buyer or a planner. Also, we had to take multiple online tests before the on-site from a retail math test to a critical thinking test. The critical thinking test was very confusing and I think I bombed it, but I ended up getting an offer and it was never mentioned. Overall, the process was long but very smooth and there was lots of communication between interviews. I heard that this interview process was very competitive, and there were students from across the country that applied and ended up in the in-person interview. An offer was given only 2 business days later, so my interview ended on a thursday afternoon and I was called the next Tuesday afternoon!

Interview Questions

• Describe a project where you were a leader. Describe a time when you had a project at work and disagreed with your boss and how you handled it. Talk to me about anything on your resume (basically tell your story) Why Macy's? Why buying/planning? We had to do an activity where we walked through the Herald Square store, and one whole interview was just talking about what we saw from a buyer/planner's perspective.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I first spoke with Macy's at my school's Career Fair and then submitted my resume through the Career Center's website. I had an on campus interview about a week later, followed by an on site interview day roughly a month after that. I got a call the next day with the offer. They mostly asked behavioral questions about my leadership style, work habits, and past experiences. It was a relatively easy process and everyone I spoke to during my interviews was engaged and easy to talk to. After my interviews I was excited to get the offer and accepted it a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a project you have worked on and describe your role?   Answer Question
    • What fashion trends do you see on your campus?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Started at University on campus interview and was invited to fly to Miami for a two day interview. First interview is a few behavioral questions and then an application question where you have ten minutes to solve a problem. Miami interview was much longer and you're divided into groups. They assign every group two executives/store managers who you stay with the entire day. There are a few application questions as well and then some behavioral. It's unfortunate we didn't get to interview with more executives because it seems to be subjective to the two you get assigned to.