Macy's

Updated Jan 12, 2015

3.2

71 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

Got interview through college recruiting. Lots of info sessions and emails and networking before I even had an interview. Make sure the recruiter knows your name. My interview consisted of 2 thirty minute interviews. One with a buyer and one with an HR rep. The buyer asked basic get to know you questions and why you're interested in the job and position and macys. The HR lady was very rude and distracting (because she said mhm after every word I said) she asked questions about their MOMM strategies. Know them extremely well so it's easy to talk about.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

One inital phone interview, moved on the next day to the second phone interview. After the second phone interview I was told I was going to be flown to the on-site interview. It was a two day round of events, first day was info session, second day had 4 different kinds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think a goal for employees should be tangible or intangible   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

I went to NYC for the second-round on-site interview and it was very overwhelming but they structured it in a way that eased you into the company and into the interview. Nothing was too difficult, but it was just an exhausting day.

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I found out about the program through an on-campus career fair. Then attended an information session on campus. I was contacted for a On-campus interview. It was two 30 min interviews. One was with an HR person, the other with a product manager from one of their stores. Later, I was invited to their on-site interview. It lasted all day, consisted of two 30 min interviews and 2 groups exercises. The 2nd group exercise consisted of us deciding what ad to feature on their holiday catalog and we had to present out decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself
      Would you describe yourself as a leader or follower
      Where do you see yourself in 10 years

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I found out about the Executive Development Program through my career fair. The recruiter was so friendly and personable and explained the whole process thoroughly. First you meet them at the career fair then you attend an info session. They then invite you to an on-campus interview. Within a week or so, I got an email saying that I was invited to New York City for an on-site interview. They pay for your flight and hotel stay, which is great.

Salary is fixed.

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I attended a Macy's networking night where I met three Macy's associates that had been through the EDP program. After applying, I was asked to attend the Macy's Connect Event where about 10 of us met the interviewers for the on-campus interviews that would be the next day. During the interview, I was asked to analyze a case. I was given 4 brief descriptions of my sales associates, their sales scorecard and was asked to choose which one to coach. Afterwards, I did a typical behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your greatest accomplishment   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult situation and had to make a quick decision.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Macy's   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

This was for Store Management, not buying/planning. First round on campus, very nice people, one 30 min interview (very laid back) and one coaching exercise where you get a mini case, 15 min to prepare, and a 3 min answer. Then I got invited to the second round in downtown Chicago- very nice hotel! Day 1: intro to Chi town, logisitical info, State Street store tour, and a dinner at the restaurant at the top of the store. Day 2: breakfast at State St offices, two interviews with high ranking HR and store managers (one is based on answers for a personality test they give you between 1st and 2nd round) Once again, very nice people, very laid back. Then you have to work in a group for a case decision and then you have an individual case as well. Basically looking at numbers and trying to decide what department needs help in a store.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly simple behavioral processes, cases were VERY easy   Answer Question

Better offers elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

There are two parts to the interview. One of them consists of regular interview questions such as "tell us a difficult time during your life where you pushed through" and what you can bring to the company. During the second part, you had to read about four different sales associates and choose which one you would train. Pick the one that is most driven and has the done the most in the shortest period of time. The trick is to finish this assignment on time and in a professional manner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Met recruiter at a college career fair. Followed up with an email and established some rapport, then applied online via college portal. I was then extended an invitation to attend an on-campus information/Q&A session followed by an on-campus interview (round one). I heard back about 2 weeks later, and made it through to the second, and final, round of interviews, which was an on-site interview at the Macy's regional offices that took place 3 weeks after the initial interview.

Executive Development Program Interview

Applied through university, process took about a month, 2 part interview - behavioral and scenario, scenario is relating to choosing an employee to train and why (based on given sales data), each part of the interview was 30 minutes, each part was held with a different interviewer