Macy's

Getting the Interview

45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – I did the phone interview in November and received a call to fly to Miami for an in person interview. It was a two day process. The first day is mainly seminars and orientation about the company. The secondary is two interviews, an individual presentation, and then a team assignment.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team.   View Answer

Bloomington, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process will consist of meeting the recruiters at a fair or panel discussion. From there they talk about the interview process. The process is based on behavioral questions and then there is another part that is based on a scenario that you have to solve the problem as if you were a sales manager. I believe they may give you a scorecard of several associates and you have to pick the one that you would coach to make better and be able to tell why.

Interview Question – There really werent any difficuly questions. I would say if you could have several examples of your behavioral questions then you will do fine   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – First round interview was two behavioral interviews. One by a buyer one by a planner. They are looking for down to earth people who can have a conversation

Interview Question – Explain how you have convinced someone of a decision using numbers   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Met recruiters at a college career fair, was invited to an information session, and given an interview. There were two interviewers and I spent 30 mins with each of them- both were approachable and forgiving. Three weeks and an 1.5 hrs of online math and critical thinking tests later, invited to a second round interview in NYC. Preparing for that now.

Interview Question – If you were an office supply, what office supply would you be?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – apply online, 20 minute phone interview, 2nd in person interview, let you know within 30 days

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied through my career center website and was contacted soon after for an on-campus interview. The initial interview was in two parts: a 30-minute behavioral interview and a 30-minute "coaching" exercise, in which you had to choose an employee from a list to coach and explain your reasoning.

A few days later (process was very quick), I was invited to the Mid-Atlantic on site interviews. This was a 2 day process. On the first day, you get a lot of information about the program, listen to speakers, and have a Q&A with people currently in the program. They take you to a nice dinner with the other candidates and recruiters. They also put you up in a nice hotel for the night. The next day is a full day of interviews, including behavioral interviews, a group exercise, and another (more intense) coaching exercise that analyzes your business acumen.

I got an offer 2 weeks later over the phone. The experience was very pleasant and worth the time I put into it.

Interview Question – Do you mostly follow your intuition or the facts?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very diligent. First round was on campus at my university then the second round was in NYC.

Interview Question – Do you prefer looking at details or the bigger picture?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Went to an on campus information session then applied. Was contacted for a first round interview on campus, was contacted a week later to take online assessments. Its been over two months and I have not heard anything from them while I do know people who were flown to NYC for the final round and were given offers.

Interview Question – Completely behavioral   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Series of interviews. Both online and in person. Had to take a math exam and many other critical thinking assessments. Then flew to NYC for a two day interview with around 30 other people for the final round.

Interview Question – When was a time you had to use numerical reasoning to solve a real-life problem?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

Interview Details – First interviews: two part series. First half was a situation based question, tested your analytical and business skills. Second half was more behavioral type questions.

Waited two weeks to hear back from the college recruiter. Went through 2-day interview for second round. The company paid for a night at a hotel nearby the flagship store where I would have my interview. First day was full of introductions, second day was full of interviews (both group and individual).

Heard back from recruiter two weeks later.

Interview Question – Are you a risk taker or do you play it safe? Why?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Executive Development Program interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.