Macy's

Average Difficulty
55 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Long day. This interview was for the call center in Saint Louis. You walk around and tour with the other candidates then have lunch with the executives in that location. Followed by interviews. Everyone at lunch is an interviewer so some people had the change to talk with their interviewers beforehand which is a great advantage. If you click with someone that isn't interviewing you though, its not as valuable. Looking back I'm glad I wasn't offered the position as they knew then as I know now that I wouldn't have been a good fit for working in a call center. Thats what this program is, you're a manager in a call center.

Interview Question – What's a question that you don't want me to ask you?   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – After the resume drop, a college recruiter will contact you for an in-person interview on campus. You will interview with two people at this time and those two individuals' roles vary. I was interviewed by an HR Manager and a Store Manager.

Interview Question – Case study/ role play of how you would address and coach an associate on one metric on their scorecard. The interviewer will evaluate why you chose this metric to coach to and assess how confident you are when delivering your feedback.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting salary is fixed.

Executive Development Program

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online, reached out to an HR person, and was interviewed on the phone. They emailed me with multiple times to decide from for the phone interview, and I was interviewed by an HR person. It only lasted around 20-30 minutes, and it felt like I was talking to a person. He was genuinely interested in me and our conversation!

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.
Tell me about a difficult situation at work and how you handled/resolved it.
Why are you interested in Macy's/working as a Buyer?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I have accepted the second interview.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Development Program

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online. Online I filled out an application and then did a retail math test and personality test. Then I got selected to move forward weeks later for a phone interview. Where I was asked general behavioral and generic questions like why retail? Why Macys? What makes you a leader? What qualities do you process that will help with leadership? Then the traditional behavioral question tell me a time when .... questions. I also got asked a lot about being able to read numbers and data and if I had experience gathering conclusions from looking at data. Very analytical. Then I was invited to the online presentation. Still waiting to see what happens next! Hope this helps!

Interview Question – What's one thing you would change about Macys?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed first on campus with a store HR manager. I was then called back and invited to a full day interview process with about 20 applicants which included about three hours of testing in the morning followed by three round robin style interviews in the afternoon. A few days later I was called with a job offer!

Interview Question – It's been a long time since I interviewed so I don't remember. I know now that they ask you how you would coach an associate based on certain performance measures.   View Answer

Executive Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The interview process was really pleasant - had two 30 minute interviews on campus then a 2 day on-site. The first day was mostly introductory - meeting with some HR people and hearing people talk. The next day was evaluative - mostly behavioral questions, stuff like why you want to work there, etc. There's also a group exercise for about half the day, then they let you know within the next couple weeks.

Interview Question – They give you a worksheet about their business practices and ask you to go to Macy's Herald Square to fill it out.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed in Feb 2014 for their entry level management program through on-campus recruiting. I was looking to enter the Macy's program, but one of my interviewers was from Bloomingdales- so make sure you know both companies and how they relate to each other!

Interview Question – second half of the interview is a training development simulation, where you read profiles of your "team members" and decide which one to mentor, and how. make it personal!   Answer Question

Executive Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

Interview Details – I originally met the recruiter at an on campus job fair, and received an email to set up a phone interview the next week. After the first phone interview I received another email to do another phone interview 2 weeks later. Questions were about leadership abilities, and my experience with leading. Also what I knew about Macy's.

Interview Question – What is one aspect of Macy's Culture that you think contributes to the companies success?   View Answer

Executive Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiter and online assessment. First round interviews were held on campus. Half behavioral and half was a coaching experiment.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions. For the coaching experiment, they provide you with information on several sales associates and you have to decide who to coach and why, and explain how you would approach it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – I did the phone interview in November and received a call to fly to Miami for an in person interview. It was a two day process. The first day is mainly seminars and orientation about the company. The secondary is two interviews, an individual presentation, and then a team assignment.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Executive Development Program interview questions and advice. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.