Macy's Executive Development Program Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.4

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's.

After the resume drop, a college recruiter will contact you for an in-person interview on campus. You will interview with two people at this time and those two individuals' roles vary. I was interviewed by an HR Manager and a Store Manager.

Interview Questions
  • Case study/ role play of how you would address and coach an associate on one metric on their scorecard. The interviewer will evaluate why you chose this metric to coach to and assess how confident you are when delivering your feedback.   Answer Question
Starting salary is fixed.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

I first talked to Macy's and Bloomindale's reps at a career fair at my school and gave them my resume. After attending an info session on campus (where you got to hear about the interview process, what the program was about, and ask questions), I was invited to an on campus interview. This consisted of two interviews: a quasi case study and a behavioral interview. The case study gave you a "score card," showing you the abilities and weaknesses of four employees. You had to choose one to personally coach, explain why, and give coaching strategies to help them improve. The behavioral interview was pretty standard -- explain about your experience, talk about your resume, and why you're interested in working in retail.

Next, I was invited to take more online assessments, including a behavioral assessment and a more mathematical/logic based assessment (a lot of it was based on proportions/ratios -- ie: if a truck can be stocked in 9 minutes, how many trucks can be stocked in 20 minutes, etc).

The final round interview lasted for 2 full days and was an overall pleasant experience (all of my interviewers were fun to talk to and welcoming) -- Macy's puts you up in your own hotel room, gave us a comprehensive store tour of the Union Square flagship store, and provided us with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The first day was an introduction: explaining the agenda, giving a presentation on what the EDP program entailed from a former EDP, store tour, and dinner. Be sure on the store tour (given by the recruiting team to ask questions and engage them in conversation to stand out).

The next day we had interviews all day. You are divided into groups of about 10 people and rotate between four different interviews, each lasting about 30-45 minutes: two 1:1 interviews and two group based case study interviews. You are also given a short powerpoint presentation about the logistics of the EDP program and can ask questions.

One 1:1 interview is purely behavioral, another is behavioral but they put you on the spot and make you choose between two extremes how you would describe yourself/your work ethic -- for example: do you like to work at a fast pace to resolve several problems quickly (but possibly miss details) or work slowly to make sure you examine every detail to find a solution (but solve less problems in a day).

One of the group interviews measured how you answered as an individual and includes being given a list of departments within a single Macy's store, the strong points and weaknesses of each department, and their statistics on how well sales are doing over a period of time, as well as some background information on the store location. You had to choose three departments to focus your attention on, explain why you chose them, and give strategies on how you would help the department to raise sales (think about the location of the store, the time period -- aka whether the holiday season is coming up, whether it's hot/cold, and then also the client you're selling to).

The second group interview gives you a similar set of facts (lists departments, pros/cons, how they're doing in sales), and you are assigned a single department that you are managing. You are then told that the VP of the store is going to be hiring a new person, and each person in the group is given an opportunity to present why their department should have the new hire. The group then discusses everyone else's presentations and decides as a group where the new hire should be placed. The final decision is then presented by a single person to the interviewer, who is watching the entire time and judging you on not only how you make your presentation, but also how you interact with everyone else in the group.

They notify you within two weeks after the two day interview if you have the job or not. While the initial first round interview is very straight forward, the final round interview is exhausting just because you had to be alert, engaging, and socialize with both your competition and the recruitment team constantly for two entire days. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • What was a goal you set for yourself and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you were faced with a problem that your superior made and you did not agree with? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

Pretty Standard interview, nothing too difficult however was told that energy was "lacking" did not know the kind of perkiness they were expecting.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to tell your supervisor some bad news, and how did it turn out   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

I initially saw Macy's at my college career fair. I submitted my resume online and got invited to do a behavioral interview with an HR Macy's manager and a Bloomingdales Sales manager on campus. This consisted of "coaching exercise" looking at the Macy's scorecard and a behavioral interview with the other manager. From there I was invited for an onsite two day interview (interview was actually only one date, but we were onsite for two days). The first day was an introduction, an overview of the program and interview process, and then dinner. The second day was intense, with a behavioral interview, a personal assessment, an individual presentation about what you would do as a store manager, and a group presentation on how you work together as a team of sales manager to increase store sales. They get back to you in two weeks and tell you if you made the cut. Overall, good but intense experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an internship or a past work experience where you managed a business. How did you do that and what were the results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you worked with a diverse group of people and how did you get your ideas across and what was the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2011.

The company had many people that truly love the company. And they love all the work that they do for the company. They are addicted to the Retail, scene, and feel as if the money they make is a bonus. The people are a majority of the reason anyone would work for the company, which is a great thing.

Interview Questions

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!