Macy's

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cosmetics Interview

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online then got an email to schedule an interview. When I got to interview I waited like 5min and then the manager came took me to office and explained how she's gonna ask me a series of questions. They were like about 10 questions of why I want to work there and what would you do in this situation. The manager was friendly and nice, thought I had a good chance but then got an email later that day that I wasn't offered the job.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Interview

Glendale, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email after 2 days to expect a call to ask me more questions (no mention of date or time for the phone call). I did the phone interview 4 days later, all the questions they asked I found on here and already had answers ready. I was offered the job on the spot and went to training the next day. I guess seasonal employees are only given one day of training (all online stuff and register training) the rest you learn as you go, i guess. They were very nice and helpful but I had to think to ask every question about picking up shifts and just the day to day stuff, like where do I put my purse. They didn't seem prepared. As seasonal employees we are to sign up for shifts online, however, there has not been a single shift available since i was able to sign up. Hopefully there will be some when they open shifts for November.

Interview Question – Every question they asked was found on here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation for salary. I was hired and went through training the next day. I was told to sign up for shifts online and there has been a single open shift available in any department.

Seasonal Associate Interview

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for seasonal weekend recovery associate. Got email the next day to schedule an interview date and time. On interview day, met with the hr recruiting manager and a department manager. Both were nice and easy to talk to. Q: why Macy's? A: wanted to work for a great company. Q: describe a time when you applied teamwork. A: was working as cashier - merchandise did not have price tag - asked sales rep to help while continue to ring - helpful because did not have to leave customer standing alone to check on price. Got job offer the same day right after interview and was promoted to cashier.

Interview Question – Q: what would you do if someone did not pull their weight?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got and a few weeks later I got an email for an invitation for an interview. The e-mail had a link to schedule the interview which I followed and did. The day of my interview I arrived exactly five minutes late, which I admit was bad on my part. However, they were so busy and were interviewing so many people that I don't even think they had noticed. After arriving I checked in and they told me to have a seat. After a few minutes they told me that I would need to wait a while, which I had no problem with. While I was waiting, nearly everyone who worked there smiled and said hi, which made the atmosphere seem very friendly. Finally I was called for my interview about a half-hour later. I was led by a male who worked there into one of their offices. He first asked me what position I was interested in, asked my how I would get someone to open a Macy's card, if I've ever seen someone at work cheat or do something wrong and what was the outcome, and something about how I would get a customer to purchase something. The interview took about a little more than five minutes. When it was over he thanked me and told me that he was going to give the results to human resources and that I would receive an email of their decision within a couple of days. Exactly a week a later I got an e-mail thanking me of my interest in Macy's, but there was no open postiton available for my job experience and expertise. However they did find my experience to strong and encouraged me to apply for a position with them when positions become available.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected. All the questions they ask are from a standard list that they use and that one can find on this site. If you do you're studying and preparation, it will be a piece of cake.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Interview Details – I waited 5 minutes more than my scheduled time. I met with a nice woman. She asked me about 5-6 questions. I think I answered them well. I was very prepared. She told me to wait outside and she'll be with me in a few moments. She came back and told me that I should receive an email in about two weeks. I don't think I got it because many people on here get hired on the spot.

Interview Question – What attracted you to our company?
What days are you available?
Describe a time you caught someone being unethical?
How would you go about selling a Macys Credit Card.
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in Glendale, CA. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.