Macy's

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Holiday Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, recieved an email to schedule an appointment for the next week. The woman who interviewed me seemed surprised, like she didn't expect me. It was a very structured interview - she asked the standard customer service questions and wrote everything I said down.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer?   Answer Question

Lewisville, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online. Took about a week before they got back to me. I came in and interviewed with a manager. I was hired that day. Had to know about the rewards program and answer basic customer service questions. They asked about situationals and personality and what would you do. It took about twenty minutes.

Interview Question – Cannot remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me a number and I accepted.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. After a couple days got an email telling me to schedule an interview. The first available interview time was 5 days out. Arrived at store 20 minutes early and was taken back right away. Was guaranteed a minimum of 25 hours weekly.

Interesting fact for others: I have multiple tattoos and facial piercings as well as pink streaks in my hair. None of this was an issue. All I was told was that the dress code is black.

Interview Questions

• Questions were no so much difficult as thought provoking. Many questions about integrity in the workplace and dealing with difficult co-workers and customers. It is also helpful to have a general knowledge of the brands that Macy's sells as well as some general retail knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The interviewer and I established a rapport from the start and after about 10 minutes, I was hired.

Taylor, MI

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied Online And The All The Followup Information Came Via Email. Letter Stated That Liked My Resume And WouldLike To Meet With me And I Should Select a An Interview Time Convenient To Me From A List.
Interviewer Was Very Casual And So I Felt Relaxed Maybe A Little Too relaxed. Question were The Same Ones On Here.

Interview Question – Tell Me About A time When You Saw Someone Being Dishonest?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – QUESTIONS:

- Why are you interested in working at Macy's?: Long standing company with a good reputation, offers an extensive selection of excellent quality merchandise, opportunities for gainful employment(Macy's promotes from within)

- Do you have experience in Retail?

- Describe a difficult work situation and how you overcame it.

- How would you get a customer to apply for a Macy's card?: Explain to the customer the benefits of the Macy's card. (Do your research! Find out the benefits of the card before the interview)

- How would you convince a customer to purchase a pair of shoes and how would you upscale that purchase?: Compliment the customer on their choice and tell them how nice they look on them, upscale by advising how nice a certain outfit would pair with those shoes, or telling them they are a customer favorite most people get the shoes in two different colors etc.

- Have you ever seen a co-worker do something against the rules, what did you do?: Used an example from my previous employment; reported situation to manager.

- How would you celebrate a purchase?: Compliment customer on their choice of merchandise, tell them to have a great day and "see you soon!" or "see you next time!"

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult, a great way to start a job as a intern, part time to supplement income, a blessing to get paid weekly :)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations - $8.00 per Hour

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, got an email the next day asking to set up an interview. There were a ton of time slots available, so I took that as a good sign. I went for one in the afternoon so I could prepare the morning before.

Got there about 10 minutes early (wanted to be there at least 15 minutes early, but the bus was late). No one else was there and the interviewing manager was patrolling the sales floor.

When she finally showed up, she asked me like 15 questions, which sort of surprised me because when I interviewed for the same position last year, I was only asked about 5 questions. All the questions were about customer service, what did you do in this situation, etc, and there was one question about my availability. I have no life, school, or other jobs, so I was available pretty much whenever, which I'm sure helped.

I got offered the job at the end of the interview, and went to set up my first training/paperwork session.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever lose confidence with yourself on the job before?   View Answer
  • When was a time you had to work with someone to resolve a complicated problem?   View Answer
  • When was a time you had to resolve a difficult problem for a customer?   View Answer
  • At Macy's we use a lot of technology - phones, computers, internet. Do you have any experience using them?   View Answer
  • How many Macy's cards did you sell when you here last year? [I only did 1 over the month I was there].
    We like employees to get 2 new Macy's card clients a week. What could you do to improve your Macy's card stats?
      View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She didn't even mention it. It's an entry-level retail job, so even if you have a ton of experience you wouldn't really get to negotiate your starting pay.
The Seattle Macy's store pay like $9.40/hr, even though that's barely above minimum wage here, it's still better than minimum wage in other states, and way better than nothing.

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – I applied online and then scheduled an interview a few days later through an email. When I arrived at the human resources, I was the first to be interviewed for the day so it was a bit unorganized. There were two interviewers. The first lady asked me a couple of questions which were fairly simple and expected. After jotting down what I said, she asked me to wait for another interviewer. I suppose the second lady was still getting her breakfast because she took awhile to come but when she did, she asked me one other question and then immediately hired me on the spot. We filled out some paperwork and then scheduled a training day. That's was it.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult. Because the questions were expected, I prepared my answers beforehand and it was just the matter of recalling them up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 8.55/h. No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Holidays Sales Associate Interview

Holidays Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the seasonal position on their website. After a day or two I received an email to sign up for an interview. I had an interview with loss prevention then the department manager. Asked me a few behavioral and common questions about experience. With the manager I was asked if I knew anything about the department products and what my hours were like. She liked my answers and after that welcomed me on board. Had to complete some paperwork.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Macy's?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!