Macy's

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.4

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied to Macy's online during the holidays, was called for a phone interview and got hired right on the spot. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer politely, ask how they are doing before the interview. She begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions: 1. Q: Why Macy's?
A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.
Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.
2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.
A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.
Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.
3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?
Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)
4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?
5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?
6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.
A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.
7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?
A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).
8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.
9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?
A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.
Notes: Something to flatter them.

Interview Questions
  • 2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.(VERY IMPORTANT)
    Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online and got an email a few days later about picking an interview time. This was actually my second time going through the interview process for the same position. When I went through it before (2 years ago) the questions were very similar to what others have said. They read off a script of questions depending on which position you are being interviewed for. At that time I had applied for a support position but thought I had applied for a sales position because I didn't really know the difference between support and sales. So she read questions off a script for support, but I had prepared for the sales questions. Luckily they were pretty similar and the ones I hadn't prepared for were still pretty easy to answer. However, she said she thought I would be good at sales so she added a few questions from the sales script. This time around however it was pretty different. I don't know if it's because I had worked there before or if they changed their system or because I had someone new interview me. Either way, the questions were not really what I had expected since I was expecting what I had gone through before, but this time the questions were actually much much easier. The interviewers both times were very very friendly and quickly put me at ease. It started out with just some small talk and then telling me to introduce myself a bit. Then they ask the standard why Macy's, etc. The basic thing to keep in mind is they are a company about teamwork, putting the customer first and making them feel special (communications), and integrity. So when they ask you questions try and steer your answers towards addressing one of those ideals.

Interview Questions
    • 2 years ago:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)She showed me a picture of some jeans and asked me how I would go about trying to upsale this item.
      3)How would you sell our store rewards card?
      4)Tell me a time when you needed to get something done but things didn't go according to plan or you ran into some difficulty.
      5)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something they shouldn't and what did you do? How did it turn out?

Most recent:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)Tell me a time when you helped out a coworker, family member, or friend with some trouble they were having.
      3)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something bad or inappropriate.
      4)How is my schedule?

View Answer
    No negotiation. As a holiday hire you have no room for bargaining.

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, recieved an email to schedule an appointment for the next week. The woman who interviewed me seemed surprised, like she didn't expect me. It was a very structured interview - she asked the standard customer service questions and wrote everything I said down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Took about a week before they got back to me. I came in and interviewed with a manager. I was hired that day. Had to know about the rewards program and answer basic customer service questions. They asked about situationals and personality and what would you do. It took about twenty minutes.

Interview Questions
    They gave me a number and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Applied online. After a couple days got an email telling me to schedule an interview. The first available interview time was 5 days out. Arrived at store 20 minutes early and was taken back right away. Was guaranteed a minimum of 25 hours weekly.

Interesting fact for others: I have multiple tattoos and facial piercings as well as pink streaks in my hair. None of this was an issue. All I was told was that the dress code is black.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were no so much difficult as thought provoking. Many questions about integrity in the workplace and dealing with difficult co-workers and customers. It is also helpful to have a general knowledge of the brands that Macy's sells as well as some general retail knowledge.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The interviewer and I established a rapport from the start and after about 10 minutes, I was hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online, got an email the next day asking to set up an interview. There were a ton of time slots available, so I took that as a good sign. I went for one in the afternoon so I could prepare the morning before.

Got there about 10 minutes early (wanted to be there at least 15 minutes early, but the bus was late). No one else was there and the interviewing manager was patrolling the sales floor.

When she finally showed up, she asked me like 15 questions, which sort of surprised me because when I interviewed for the same position last year, I was only asked about 5 questions. All the questions were about customer service, what did you do in this situation, etc, and there was one question about my availability. I have no life, school, or other jobs, so I was available pretty much whenever, which I'm sure helped.

I got offered the job at the end of the interview, and went to set up my first training/paperwork session.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever lose confidence with yourself on the job before?   View Answer
    • When was a time you had to work with someone to resolve a complicated problem?   View Answer
    • When was a time you had to resolve a difficult problem for a customer?   View Answer
    • At Macy's we use a lot of technology - phones, computers, internet. Do you have any experience using them?   View Answer
    • How many Macy's cards did you sell when you here last year? [I only did 1 over the month I was there].
      We like employees to get 2 new Macy's card clients a week. What could you do to improve your Macy's card stats?

View Answer
    There was no negotiation. She didn't even mention it. It's an entry-level retail job, so even if you have a ton of experience you wouldn't really get to negotiate your starting pay.
    The Seattle Macy's store pay like $9.40/hr, even though that's barely above minimum wage here, it's still better than minimum wage in other states, and way better than nothing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

QUESTIONS:

- Why are you interested in working at Macy's?: Long standing company with a good reputation, offers an extensive selection of excellent quality merchandise, opportunities for gainful employment(Macy's promotes from within)

- Do you have experience in Retail?

- Describe a difficult work situation and how you overcame it.

- How would you get a customer to apply for a Macy's card?: Explain to the customer the benefits of the Macy's card. (Do your research! Find out the benefits of the card before the interview)

- How would you convince a customer to purchase a pair of shoes and how would you upscale that purchase?: Compliment the customer on their choice and tell them how nice they look on them, upscale by advising how nice a certain outfit would pair with those shoes, or telling them they are a customer favorite most people get the shoes in two different colors etc.

- Have you ever seen a co-worker do something against the rules, what did you do?: Used an example from my previous employment; reported situation to manager.

- How would you celebrate a purchase?: Compliment customer on their choice of merchandise, tell them to have a great day and "see you soon!" or "see you next time!"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, a great way to start a job as a intern, part time to supplement income, a blessing to get paid weekly :)   View Answer
    No negotiations - $8.00 per Hour

Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Applied Online And The All The Followup Information Came Via Email. Letter Stated That Liked My Resume And WouldLike To Meet With me And I Should Select a An Interview Time Convenient To Me From A List.
    Interviewer Was Very Casual And So I Felt Relaxed Maybe A Little Too relaxed. Question were The Same Ones On Here.

Interview Questions
    • Tell Me About A time When You Saw Someone Being Dishonest?   Answer Question

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and then scheduled an interview a few days later through an email. When I arrived at the human resources, I was the first to be interviewed for the day so it was a bit unorganized. There were two interviewers. The first lady asked me a couple of questions which were fairly simple and expected. After jotting down what I said, she asked me to wait for another interviewer. I suppose the second lady was still getting her breakfast because she took awhile to come but when she did, she asked me one other question and then immediately hired me on the spot. We filled out some paperwork and then scheduled a training day. That's was it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Because the questions were expected, I prepared my answers beforehand and it was just the matter of recalling them up.   Answer Question
    8.55/h. No negotiation.

Holidays Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

I applied for the seasonal position on their website. After a day or two I received an email to sign up for an interview. I had an interview with loss prevention then the department manager. Asked me a few behavioral and common questions about experience. With the manager I was asked if I knew anything about the department products and what my hours were like. She liked my answers and after that welcomed me on board. Had to complete some paperwork.

no negotiation