Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

HR person called and then they rescheduled. After rescheduled called and started explaining why the last interview didn't happen. Then HR asked why I didn't check the overnight button? I told the store is closed at 9 pm. HR told me there is some overnight work involved. Sounds like a lie to me. I told him applied for the shifts I could work days and evenings. HR then said your not needed and refused the interview !! That is it...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   View Answer
    none

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2009.

I was actually pomoted to the ASM position from the associate level.
    It came to their attention that I have a bachelor's degree and they immediately considered me for the position. Getting my interview with the store manager took quite some time (3-4 weeks).
    It was pretty much your average interview. The store manager asked me about my experience within my department and what I would do differently and so forth.
    My word of advice just be genuine, when you are it really comes across as what you see is what you get.
    Relax, don't worry about responding with the perfect answer.
    Show how pasionate you are about the position and you'll do great!

Best wishes!

Interview Questions
    • What is something your parents wish you would do more often?   Answer Question
    • What do you believe will be your weakness starting off in this position?   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate as much as I possibly could. I tried going for a little over $13, but it wasn't possible. Given the economic sitiuation, they were unable to offer more, but I am grateful for the position.

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Used one of the reviews here. Got offered a position. Thank you.
    The manager was very nice and I passed the interview, but the other manager for that exact department was not working that day, so I will follow up the day after.
    But I am confident that I'll get a job.
    I have had a Macy's interview before and was not offered a position. They told me "we'll call you". The manager from this interview told me they tell that to everyone who didn't pass the interview.
    I wore a black satin dress with some flowers, black tights, black pumps and a jacket. A simple leather purse as well, very chick. I think it helped too, it showed that I have a sense of style and can really fit in the clothing department. It also means that I can help other people dress nicely as well. (As soon as I walked in, she complimented me and I knew that we had a connection.)
    Anyway, just be yourself and good luck!
    Oh and try to remember that personality questions from the online will be asked and checked for being truthful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react if you did a great job and noone praised you?   View Answers (2)
    Still have a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Applied online and received a call back within 3 days. Went online to schedule my appointment.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Macys is a complete waist of time for SERIOUS people who are looking for work in this miserable economy..When I applied online the job listed FULL TIME RETAIL ASSOCIATE!! I have alot of sales and customer service exp so I applied for the position online in which later that day I recieved an email to schedule an interview. When I arrived I went to the HR dept which was empty at first so I was very happy and signed in..A lady came out of one of the interview rooms and told me that someone would be with me shortly, I waited about ten minutes and went in a office with a very nice lady and interviewed which in my opinion went well, she told me that she wanted me to do a second interview with a dept manager and told me to go back to the waiting area until the manager came to interview me, when I returned to the waiting area the room was PACKED with people waiting to be interviewed, I could not believe this because it was totally empty before I went into her office.I waited about 15 minutes and did a second interview with another nice lady but seems to me it was irrelevant because I had already told the first lady that I was not interested in this dept but I went along with interview to remain respectful and professional, it seemed like they were just pulling managers at random out of there depts to interview..So i was then told that a third interview would take place with another dept manager I waited over 3o minutes for the dept manager and when she finally arrived she was less than thrilled to interview me, had a very snobby uninterested attitude toward my responses and was really getting on my nerves with this behavior..I also notice how OLD she was..Im talking VERY OLD and she was mentioning that her department needed to be revived, the whole time I was sitting there thinking it could be revived if they would get her out of there and maybe put in someone who was more VIBRANT and could draw in the customer..Im not trying to sound mean but Macys does have alot of very old ladies working in the WRONG departments..After that interview I wrapped everything up with the first lady I interviewed with and was told that they only had on call positions available..by this time I was PI$$ED and told her that the add said FULL TIME!!! she told me that position was already filled and they leave the add posted anyway..I told her very professionaly but stern that I had never been through that many interviews and wasnt actually offered a job and mislead by an ad that said full time but turns out it is not(seems like they just leave the info posted to attract more candidates to apply)..Who in the hell wants to work on call????..I now know who!!,,An old elderly lady would because Macys know there sitting at home not doing anything, now I see why so many old people work for them..they are ON CALL available..I have spent ALOT of money at Macys and because of this unprofessional stupid waste of time interview I will never set foot in there stores again, also It was posted many of times how your forced to sell that ripp off credit card of theirs to naive shoppers and if you dont meet the credit app quotas your in trouble..Macys is a big joke of a company and have lost my business and respect!!!!

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an angy customer?   View Answer
    No negotiation needed..I was only told that they were interested never recieved a direct offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Friendswood, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Friendswood, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Got a second interview and the next manager told me it was out of the question based on my availability. After making me wait 30 minutes.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Sent out an application online. Set up interview a few days later. I can see that the interviewer was pretty inexperienced and was told she was an AA also. Asked routine questions such as why Macy's? What is your experience as an AA? Went on to ask situational questions. Process was quick and impersonal. Had the impression she was more interested in being able to read through her questions instead of interacting with the applicant. She was very nice though.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

I found out about the Macy's Store Management EDP from working in the store and communicating with a recruiter the end of my junior year. I started the process end of August-beginning of September. Since they did not visit my school, I had a phone interview which was behavioral based questions. I also had to complete a timed retail math test. It took about a month before I was able to even set up my second interview, which was another behavioral based interview via webcam. In both cases, they are looking for examples in which you have demonstrated leadership, considering this is for a position in which you will be leading a team.

After that interview, it was another month before I got any feedback indicating whether or not I was moving on to the on-site interviewing. I work for Macy's, and they had apparently notified my HRM to tell me the good news, which to my knowledge never happend.
    Once you're invited to the on-sites, you have to complete a series of online questionnaires, one of which I took over 3 years ago. They're pretty simple. One is to see how you behave in certain situations, how you would fit with their culture.

As everyone has mentioned before, they really take great care of the candidates for the on-sites. I stayed at a great hotel, they took us out to dinner and provided breakfast and lunch on the last day. If you go to the on-sites, make sure you keep your receipts because they reimburse costs associated with the trip.

So the on-sites...the first day is all about seeing how you interact with the other candidates and making yourself standout. You learn more about Macy's and have a few guest speakers talk about their experience and there is a Q&A. The second day is when all the real interviewing and group work happens. Candidates are put into teams to go through the activites of the day. You will complete two more 1:1 interviews, this will vary depending on what interviews you have completed prior to the on-sites. I had an interview based on the results of the personality test that we had to take, which just is to see what you say in comparision to what you said online. This I struggled with a little bit because in the past 3 years or so, some of my opinions have changed, therefore; I may have not been consistent with every answer. The other 1:1 was a case in which you select an associate to coach based on a department's scorecard results. Since I had worked with Macy's for over 3 years, I found this to be easy because I was very familiar with their process of coaching and MAGIC selling.

We also did two group activities. One was to review a store's scorecard and select three departments in which you would focus on that week in order to improve sales. Everyone presents their choices and then there is a short Q&A with the executives that are evaluating you. The second activity was to make your claim as to why the department you manage, should have a full-time position added. You get time to prepare, present to the group then come together to make collectively decide the best option for the store. In this activity, it's not about making sure your department is the one chosen, necessarily. You have to decide as a group what is the best thing to do for the store. Also, this is another major point where they look at your personality and leadership skills. This is one of the best times to try to demonstrate that and impress them.

There is also a program overview which just goes over what to expect and the different steps in the program. They get back to you in two weeks to let you know if they want you to join the Magic of Macy's.

I did not get an offer and when I asked for feedback, I was told I would get it, yet I'm still waiting on that. Hopefully I get it, I have a feeling I will not.

I think they do a great job with the interviewing process and if you are interested in a retail career or leadership opportunity, this is a fantastic program. Although I will not be staying with Macy's , I have learned so much about retail, sales and leadership and am excited to use my knowledge in another opportunity. Good luck to anyone interviewing!

Interview Questions
    • If you are not new to interviewing, nothing should be a surprise. Some questions the ask are:
      Why Macy's/retail? Are you okay with having to work nighs/weekends? Tell me about a goal you have for yourself? Tell me about a time you had to tell a supervisor bad news?
        Answer Question

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!