Macy's

Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   View Answer
    none

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

HR person called and then they rescheduled. After rescheduled called and started explaining why the last interview didn't happen. Then HR asked why I didn't check the overnight button? I told the store is closed at 9 pm. HR told me there is some overnight work involved. Sounds like a lie to me. I told him applied for the shifts I could work days and evenings. HR then said your not needed and refused the interview !! That is it...

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I had been wanting to get into visual merchandising for a long time so when I got the call for an interview I was so excited! The day of the interview I couldn't have been more prepared and I drove an hour away to get there. Obviously that's how bad I wanted the job, anyways I drove all that way just to hear them say the position was filled. I never have been so disappointed. I understand they may have had other interviews, but they don't take the time to interview everyone and then decide? And they couldn't have called me ahead of time to let me know? They took the time to call and schedule an interview? They just told me to apply for other positions, but they were positions I wasn't interested in. I did get a second call from a different location and got to interview with them and it went great! Very comfortable and nice people. It was more than one person so it made me nervous at first, but talking with them made me feel right at home.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

The interview went really well. The person who interviewed me was very nice and energetic. She asked basic questions. Such as why Macy's? How are you with people etc. She also asked a lot of scenario questions. After the interview she left and then came back into the room within a matter of minutes and offered me an open position. Overall the experience was great.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you used teamwork to achieve a task?   Answer Question
    • If you just sold jeans to a customer how would get them to come back next time?   Answer Question
    Very fast. Minimum wage. Macy's discount. Must have open availability Saturday and Sunday.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Applied online and received a call back within 3 days. Went online to schedule my appointment.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Had 5 interviews (2 over the phone) even went in to do a makeover on my sister and they said I did good.
    and then a day after the last interview I get a generic email stating they didn't have a position for me.

Interview Questions
    • They just asked "are you a positive person?" over and over just reworded.
      And "how do you handle a situation where someone is dissatisfied with your work" That was asked at least 4 times.

Answer Question

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

There was an Initial Interview with a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case study interview where they gave you a situation that had 4 different employee's and their sales plans and actual accomplishments for the period. You have to choose which employee you would focus your attention on and say why they need the attention. The second round interview was at the regional office. The first day is an informational day and the second day consists of 2 one on one interviews, one individual assignment much like the case study from the initial interview but instead you had to look at different departments and choose which 3 departments you would focus on and why. Then there is a group activity with the same parameters as the individual one but instead, each person is assigned a department, you are told that the company has a new full time position being added and you have to fight for your department to get the position. In the end you have to come together as a group and decide which department needs it the most.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Macys is a complete waist of time for SERIOUS people who are looking for work in this miserable economy..When I applied online the job listed FULL TIME RETAIL ASSOCIATE!! I have alot of sales and customer service exp so I applied for the position online in which later that day I recieved an email to schedule an interview. When I arrived I went to the HR dept which was empty at first so I was very happy and signed in..A lady came out of one of the interview rooms and told me that someone would be with me shortly, I waited about ten minutes and went in a office with a very nice lady and interviewed which in my opinion went well, she told me that she wanted me to do a second interview with a dept manager and told me to go back to the waiting area until the manager came to interview me, when I returned to the waiting area the room was PACKED with people waiting to be interviewed, I could not believe this because it was totally empty before I went into her office.I waited about 15 minutes and did a second interview with another nice lady but seems to me it was irrelevant because I had already told the first lady that I was not interested in this dept but I went along with interview to remain respectful and professional, it seemed like they were just pulling managers at random out of there depts to interview..So i was then told that a third interview would take place with another dept manager I waited over 3o minutes for the dept manager and when she finally arrived she was less than thrilled to interview me, had a very snobby uninterested attitude toward my responses and was really getting on my nerves with this behavior..I also notice how OLD she was..Im talking VERY OLD and she was mentioning that her department needed to be revived, the whole time I was sitting there thinking it could be revived if they would get her out of there and maybe put in someone who was more VIBRANT and could draw in the customer..Im not trying to sound mean but Macys does have alot of very old ladies working in the WRONG departments..After that interview I wrapped everything up with the first lady I interviewed with and was told that they only had on call positions available..by this time I was PI$$ED and told her that the add said FULL TIME!!! she told me that position was already filled and they leave the add posted anyway..I told her very professionaly but stern that I had never been through that many interviews and wasnt actually offered a job and mislead by an ad that said full time but turns out it is not(seems like they just leave the info posted to attract more candidates to apply)..Who in the hell wants to work on call????..I now know who!!,,An old elderly lady would because Macys know there sitting at home not doing anything, now I see why so many old people work for them..they are ON CALL available..I have spent ALOT of money at Macys and because of this unprofessional stupid waste of time interview I will never set foot in there stores again, also It was posted many of times how your forced to sell that ripp off credit card of theirs to naive shoppers and if you dont meet the credit app quotas your in trouble..Macys is a big joke of a company and have lost my business and respect!!!!

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an angy customer?   View Answer
    No negotiation needed..I was only told that they were interested never recieved a direct offer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2009.

I was actually pomoted to the ASM position from the associate level.
    It came to their attention that I have a bachelor's degree and they immediately considered me for the position. Getting my interview with the store manager took quite some time (3-4 weeks).
    It was pretty much your average interview. The store manager asked me about my experience within my department and what I would do differently and so forth.
    My word of advice just be genuine, when you are it really comes across as what you see is what you get.
    Relax, don't worry about responding with the perfect answer.
    Show how pasionate you are about the position and you'll do great!

Best wishes!

Interview Questions
    • What is something your parents wish you would do more often?   Answer Question
    • What do you believe will be your weakness starting off in this position?   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate as much as I possibly could. I tried going for a little over $13, but it wasn't possible. Given the economic sitiuation, they were unable to offer more, but I am grateful for the position.