Macy's

Updated Apr 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Question – Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Loss Prevention Interview

Loss Prevention
The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – HR person called and then they rescheduled. After rescheduled called and started explaining why the last interview didn't happen. Then HR asked why I didn't check the overnight button? I told the store is closed at 9 pm. HR told me there is some overnight work involved. Sounds like a lie to me. I told him applied for the shifts I could work days and evenings. HR then said your not needed and refused the interview !! That is it...

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor
Humble, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Had 5 interviews (2 over the phone) even went in to do a makeover on my sister and they said I did good.
and then a day after the last interview I get a generic email stating they didn't have a position for me.

Interview Question – They just asked "are you a positive person?" over and over just reworded.
And "how do you handle a situation where someone is dissatisfied with your work" That was asked at least 4 times.
  Answer Question

Loss Prevention Interview

Loss Prevention
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – There was an Initial Interview with a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case study interview where they gave you a situation that had 4 different employee's and their sales plans and actual accomplishments for the period. You have to choose which employee you would focus your attention on and say why they need the attention. The second round interview was at the regional office. The first day is an informational day and the second day consists of 2 one on one interviews, one individual assignment much like the case study from the initial interview but instead you had to look at different departments and choose which 3 departments you would focus on and why. Then there is a group activity with the same parameters as the individual one but instead, each person is assigned a department, you are told that the company has a new full time position being added and you have to fight for your department to get the position. In the end you have to come together as a group and decide which department needs it the most.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions really.   Answer Question

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Executive Development Store Management Program
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.

The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back within 3 days. Went online to schedule my appointment.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Used one of the reviews here. Got offered a position. Thank you.
The manager was very nice and I passed the interview, but the other manager for that exact department was not working that day, so I will follow up the day after.
But I am confident that I'll get a job.
I have had a Macy's interview before and was not offered a position. They told me "we'll call you". The manager from this interview told me they tell that to everyone who didn't pass the interview.
I wore a black satin dress with some flowers, black tights, black pumps and a jacket. A simple leather purse as well, very chick. I think it helped too, it showed that I have a sense of style and can really fit in the clothing department. It also means that I can help other people dress nicely as well. (As soon as I walked in, she complimented me and I knew that we had a connection.)
Anyway, just be yourself and good luck!
Oh and try to remember that personality questions from the online will be asked and checked for being truthful.

Interview Question – How would you react if you did a great job and noone praised you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Still have a second interview.

Friendswood, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – Got a second interview and the next manager told me it was out of the question based on my availability. After making me wait 30 minutes.

Interview Question – They didn't even ask me any questions.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Interview Details – Sent out an application online. Set up interview a few days later. I can see that the interviewer was pretty inexperienced and was told she was an AA also. Asked routine questions such as why Macy's? What is your experience as an AA? Went on to ask situational questions. Process was quick and impersonal. Had the impression she was more interested in being able to read through her questions instead of interacting with the applicant. She was very nice though.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Houston, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was actually pomoted to the ASM position from the associate level.
It came to their attention that I have a bachelor's degree and they immediately considered me for the position. Getting my interview with the store manager took quite some time (3-4 weeks).
It was pretty much your average interview. The store manager asked me about my experience within my department and what I would do differently and so forth.
My word of advice just be genuine, when you are it really comes across as what you see is what you get.
Relax, don't worry about responding with the perfect answer.
Show how pasionate you are about the position and you'll do great!

Best wishes!

Interview Questions

• What is something your parents wish you would do more often?   Answer Question
  • What do you believe will be your weakness starting off in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate as much as I possibly could. I tried going for a little over $13, but it wasn't possible. Given the economic sitiuation, they were unable to offer more, but I am grateful for the position.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!