Macy's

Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.1

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Had 5 interviews (2 over the phone) even went in to do a makeover on my sister and they said I did good.
    and then a day after the last interview I get a generic email stating they didn't have a position for me.

Interview Questions
    • They just asked "are you a positive person?" over and over just reworded.
      And "how do you handle a situation where someone is dissatisfied with your work" That was asked at least 4 times.

Answer Question

Back Room/Stock Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

I basically applied online like every other candidate, and later received a email a couple of days later. I called the store and setup an interview approximately 2 days later. I went in and they asked me general questions, and he basically offered me the position on the spot. No room for negotiation, and the pay was low at $7.75. I offered a call back, but I never called back because the low pay rate.

Merchandise Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

Applied, within a week got a call to schedule a interview. Had the interview 1 on 1. Asked me about past and current work history. Job related problems and how i would deal with them. Like having deadlines but customer keep interrupting
    How would i deal with it to meet the deadlines

Interview Questions
    • dealing with customers when you have a deadline that needs to be meet   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   View Answer
    none

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Applied online and received a call back within 3 days. Went online to schedule my appointment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Used one of the reviews here. Got offered a position. Thank you.
    The manager was very nice and I passed the interview, but the other manager for that exact department was not working that day, so I will follow up the day after.
    But I am confident that I'll get a job.
    I have had a Macy's interview before and was not offered a position. They told me "we'll call you". The manager from this interview told me they tell that to everyone who didn't pass the interview.
    I wore a black satin dress with some flowers, black tights, black pumps and a jacket. A simple leather purse as well, very chick. I think it helped too, it showed that I have a sense of style and can really fit in the clothing department. It also means that I can help other people dress nicely as well. (As soon as I walked in, she complimented me and I knew that we had a connection.)
    Anyway, just be yourself and good luck!
    Oh and try to remember that personality questions from the online will be asked and checked for being truthful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react if you did a great job and noone praised you?   View Answers (2)
    Still have a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

I was interviewed by the store manager. She was a very friendly person and was very much committed to her job. She asked a ton of overly complicated questions and was very pushy about meeting sales goal, even when she admitted there would be slow times. Seemed like a lot of baloney for a minimum wage retail job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would meet or exceed sales goals during a slow sales time?   Answer Question

Macys Mens Shoe Department Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in January 2013.

Manager made me feel comfortable told me to take my time and not be nervous. Common situational questions very easy
    How would you celebrate a purchase?
    why Macy's?
    example when you were part of a team what was your role?
    how would you sell a Macy's credit card? etc

Interview Questions
    • how would you upscale jeans to bigger purchases?   View Answer

I was aiming for 8 dollars an up offer was 7.50 and 7.25 during training process this was not my first retail job.

Macy's/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

A lot of situations were given ("What would you do") and you were to answer in how you would act or react to that situation. Manager asked what interests you in retail and if you had any prior experience to customer service.

Interview Questions
    • A bulk of the questions are directed toward your personal life: i.e, If you go to school currently, what are your hobbies, etc.   Answer Question