Macy's

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Baytown, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the store manager. She was a very friendly person and was very much committed to her job. She asked a ton of overly complicated questions and was very pushy about meeting sales goal, even when she admitted there would be slow times. Seemed like a lot of baloney for a minimum wage retail job.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would meet or exceed sales goals during a slow sales time?   Answer Question

The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back within 3 days. Went online to schedule my appointment.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Question – Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Sugar Land, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Interview Details – First you fill out an application online then you recieve an email to schedule for an interview I came into macy and had to wait over am hour to get interview and then I find out that the job I apply for was full so I was offer another job in another position the human resource employees was very rude and didnt like the fact that I was over the position but I didnt care I took the job only because I was an college student and needed a summer job.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Store Management Executive Development Program
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

Interview Details – I found out about the Macy's Store Management EDP from working in the store and communicating with a recruiter the end of my junior year. I started the process end of August-beginning of September. Since they did not visit my school, I had a phone interview which was behavioral based questions. I also had to complete a timed retail math test. It took about a month before I was able to even set up my second interview, which was another behavioral based interview via webcam. In both cases, they are looking for examples in which you have demonstrated leadership, considering this is for a position in which you will be leading a team.

After that interview, it was another month before I got any feedback indicating whether or not I was moving on to the on-site interviewing. I work for Macy's, and they had apparently notified my HRM to tell me the good news, which to my knowledge never happend.
Once you're invited to the on-sites, you have to complete a series of online questionnaires, one of which I took over 3 years ago. They're pretty simple. One is to see how you behave in certain situations, how you would fit with their culture.

As everyone has mentioned before, they really take great care of the candidates for the on-sites. I stayed at a great hotel, they took us out to dinner and provided breakfast and lunch on the last day. If you go to the on-sites, make sure you keep your receipts because they reimburse costs associated with the trip.

So the on-sites...the first day is all about seeing how you interact with the other candidates and making yourself standout. You learn more about Macy's and have a few guest speakers talk about their experience and there is a Q&A. The second day is when all the real interviewing and group work happens. Candidates are put into teams to go through the activites of the day. You will complete two more 1:1 interviews, this will vary depending on what interviews you have completed prior to the on-sites. I had an interview based on the results of the personality test that we had to take, which just is to see what you say in comparision to what you said online. This I struggled with a little bit because in the past 3 years or so, some of my opinions have changed, therefore; I may have not been consistent with every answer. The other 1:1 was a case in which you select an associate to coach based on a department's scorecard results. Since I had worked with Macy's for over 3 years, I found this to be easy because I was very familiar with their process of coaching and MAGIC selling.

We also did two group activities. One was to review a store's scorecard and select three departments in which you would focus on that week in order to improve sales. Everyone presents their choices and then there is a short Q&A with the executives that are evaluating you. The second activity was to make your claim as to why the department you manage, should have a full-time position added. You get time to prepare, present to the group then come together to make collectively decide the best option for the store. In this activity, it's not about making sure your department is the one chosen, necessarily. You have to decide as a group what is the best thing to do for the store. Also, this is another major point where they look at your personality and leadership skills. This is one of the best times to try to demonstrate that and impress them.

There is also a program overview which just goes over what to expect and the different steps in the program. They get back to you in two weeks to let you know if they want you to join the Magic of Macy's.

I did not get an offer and when I asked for feedback, I was told I would get it, yet I'm still waiting on that. Hopefully I get it, I have a feeling I will not.

I think they do a great job with the interviewing process and if you are interested in a retail career or leadership opportunity, this is a fantastic program. Although I will not be staying with Macy's , I have learned so much about retail, sales and leadership and am excited to use my knowledge in another opportunity. Good luck to anyone interviewing!

Interview Question – If you are not new to interviewing, nothing should be a surprise. Some questions the ask are:
Why Macy's/retail? Are you okay with having to work nighs/weekends? Tell me about a goal you have for yourself? Tell me about a time you had to tell a supervisor bad news?
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Fitting Room Attendant Interview

Fitting Room Attendant
Humble, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in to do an interview about 2 days after I put in my online application. The manager interviewing was so nice.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Used one of the reviews here. Got offered a position. Thank you.
The manager was very nice and I passed the interview, but the other manager for that exact department was not working that day, so I will follow up the day after.
But I am confident that I'll get a job.
I have had a Macy's interview before and was not offered a position. They told me "we'll call you". The manager from this interview told me they tell that to everyone who didn't pass the interview.
I wore a black satin dress with some flowers, black tights, black pumps and a jacket. A simple leather purse as well, very chick. I think it helped too, it showed that I have a sense of style and can really fit in the clothing department. It also means that I can help other people dress nicely as well. (As soon as I walked in, she complimented me and I knew that we had a connection.)
Anyway, just be yourself and good luck!
Oh and try to remember that personality questions from the online will be asked and checked for being truthful.

Interview Question – How would you react if you did a great job and noone praised you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Still have a second interview.

Macys Mens Shoe Department Sales Associate Interview

Macys Mens Shoe Department Sales Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in January 2013.

Interview Details – Manager made me feel comfortable told me to take my time and not be nervous. Common situational questions very easy
How would you celebrate a purchase?
why Macy's?
example when you were part of a team what was your role?
how would you sell a Macy's credit card? etc

Interview Question – how would you upscale jeans to bigger purchases?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was aiming for 8 dollars an up offer was 7.50 and 7.25 during training process this was not my first retail job.

Very Easy Interview

Support Associate Interview

Support Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

Interview Details – I received a phone call ..went to the interview..I was asked if i am reliable and put to work ..FYI if they call you in the want to hire you.The managers are very very busy so if you interview your a shoe in.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Interview Details – Sent out an application online. Set up interview a few days later. I can see that the interviewer was pretty inexperienced and was told she was an AA also. Asked routine questions such as why Macy's? What is your experience as an AA? Went on to ask situational questions. Process was quick and impersonal. Had the impression she was more interested in being able to read through her questions instead of interacting with the applicant. She was very nice though.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question