Macy's

Updated Feb 25, 2015
3,031 Interview Reviews

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Easy. Applied Friday, interviewed Sat., rejected Monday. Perhaps when she asked what hours I would prefer, I made the mistake of saying although I am available flex, part or full time, I answered full time but I said it didn't matter to me because I am flexible and would love flex part time as well. So the email said I didn't get it because I was not available for the times they needed even though I had every time and day option checked in the application. Will never know. So if you go in emphasize that you are eager to work what they need to fill only.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

It was easy, I was invited to interview via email, got interviewed and was asked about upselling and what department I wanted to work in. The interviewer was nice and we really connected. She asked typical questions, "tell me about yourself" "why do you want to work here?" I basically had the first and second interview the same day. After I told her what department I wanted to work in she had the department manager come in and talk to me for a little bit, I signed some paper work and then I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer is only buying pants and a shirt, what other things could you offer her to complete her outfit?   View Answer
    They matched my pay with my other job by 5 cents extra so I started (in 2013) with $8.85 an hour (85 cents above minimum wage)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

I came in met with the hiring manager talked for about 20 minutes and that was it. Didn't get the job because i didn't have enough sales experience. Hiring manager was nice but didnt really give a chance for you to really answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • It was a packet full of questions that each macy's ask you and the hiring manager fills it out.   Answer Question

Detective Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Filled out application on-line. Next day I recieved an email to set up a phone interview. I picked the following day at 1:30. I recieved no call. I got a call at 2:45 from the department manager and I asked him if he knew what time my interview was for, he said 2. I told him that he was incorrect and that it was for 1:30 and regardless he was still late. Very unprofessional. He asked if I had time to conduct the interview and we proceeded. He asked me to then come in for a face to face interview within two days. I had an interview with the department manager and his assistant. I was given a call back within two days with a job offer and was asked to come in to complete some paperwork in HR. I came in the same day. I was sat down at a computer, put my Macy's Careers login information in and was asked to put in my social and birthday and that was it. I left. I got a call within 15 from HR asking to confirm my social and address. I confirmed and was told I should receive an email with a link to the background check within a few hours, it's now been over 48 hours, checking my inbox and spam folder. Still nothing.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

It was just the basic questions really that you would find an interview. However, I was told that I would get a call back and never one got. I was,also told that the hours can be flexible. You would find your schedule online and you can pick up hours that way

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The interview process went great! I literally just got out of the interview an hour ago! Not only was the cosmetic department manager super cool but she made the interview process extremely comfortable. The questions were pretty brief and there were additional questions that she could've asked but felt she had already had the gist of my personality and dedication down. I am waiting for a call to meet with the store manager. Only thing I was iffy about was the fact that I didn't feel comfortable just yet asking about the pay and she never said anything about the pay. I will approach that in the next interview. Online it said they were hiring part time/full time beauty advisors, there were two openings and they both ended up being full time. I was told Clarins was one of the vendors unfortunately I was not told about the other and was told I would be great to work in Clarins. She also stated the woman who had worked in Clarins got promoted to the manager of Estee Lauder!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to work as a team to accomplish a task and as a leader how did you educate this team?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach a customer to sell a product, not only sell but also educate and inform them about this product?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Macy's?   View Answer
    • How do you feel about applying product on a customers face?   View Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The head of Macy's Cosmetics Dept interviewed me. She made me feel at ease and relaxed. She asked me about 5 questions. At the end she told me she was going to pass on my details to Clarins, which the position is for, and they will be contacting me for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel applying makeup to a customer?

Tell me about a time you have worked as a team member?

Answer Question

Store Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

Macy's came to my college campus and did various information sessions before selecting interview applicants. The interview has two parts: a typical behavioral interview and a role-playing situation, where they gave you employees' sales cards and you had to pick which employee's improvement you wanted to focus on and why.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Macy's.

Asked me a few simple questions. Very personable. I dressed well, they treated me with respect... It was very informal. Took about 15-20 minutes. I honestly felt smarter than the manager who was interviewing me. They hired me on the spot.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

The interviewers were all great. The interview includes a typical behavioral interview, and a case interview where they give you sales stats on several sales associates and asks you to analyze them and who you would coach and why.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was difficult. Be prepared to role-play speaking to an employee about strengths/weaknesses.   Answer Question