Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
2,726 Interview Reviews

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interviewing process wasn't really all that difficult. For the First interview it was just the basics : "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle this situation". I got called back for a second interview, but they told me the position was filled and offered me another position instead which was great.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a customer feel better if they're feeling guilty about leaving the store without buying anything?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Got there 15 minutes early. Interview started 30 minutes after scheduled time, but interviewer apologized and was very polite. Got the paperwork and took me into the back room. There was a packet of questions. She read off the paper and wrote down my answers. Asked about availability. I was offered the position immediately after. $7.95 an hour. Interview lasted a max of 15 minutes. Questions included:
    Tell me a time when you had to use integrity to deal with a situation.
    Tell me a time when you had to offer an alternate solution to a customer and what was the solution.
    How do you think you will fit in at this company.
    Why Macy's? What attracted you to work here?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger and what did you say and what was the end result.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's.

it was a one on one interview, was very quick and easy & didn't require much knowledge but it's definitely helpful if you know about the company. She was very nice and positive and was very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • What if we didn't have an item, how would you go about it?   View Answer
    • When are you available/ holidays   View Answer
    • Name a time when someone did something that wasn't right and what did you do   View Answer
    • Why Macy's?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I have applied only. The next day I have received an email to schedule an interview with one store manager. Went to the interview. There were some general questions regarding how to sale something, how to treat customers.

Interview Questions
    Received an offer on the place

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, scheduled an interview a week later. Smooth and easy as long as you prepare. Hired on the spot. So what are you waiting for? Go Apply!! Uh Like now!

9$/hour un negotiable

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I was actually recruited by a Department Manager for Macy's. I Managed a small store in the Mall, and occasionally had lunch with a group of Department Managers from Macy's who encouraged me to talk to their HR manager about working for Macy's. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my management style, how I would handle certain situations with difficult employees, and how I would conduct meetings.   View Answer
    I was recruited, so I knew in advance what the offer was.

Seasonal Retail Stock Merchandising Interview

Interview was done over the phone. Fairly simple questions about personal experience and why I would be good at the job. Interview took about 5 minutes, which most of the time was spent reading over the job description. There is no room for wage negotiation and was told that the seasonal job ends January 1st. Got a job offer as soon as the interview was over and started the job the next week.

Interview Questions
    • If there is a coworker that isn't doing a great job what will you do?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I arrived for the interview and after I was led to a conference room- was told the position I applied for had been filled the previous day. It would have been courteous to let me know this prior to my arrival for the interview. They then tried to sell me on another position I was not interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time I saw a co-worker steal something- and what I did about it.   Answer Question
    • When did I have good customer service and how did I respond.   Answer Question

The position they offered was not what I applied for and paid minimum wage.

Traffic/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

At least a 3 week process. You will meet with the janitor first and move your way up as they waste your time meeting with the managers, staff and then the actual decision makers, Directors and V.P's.

Interview Questions
    • No really trick questions. If you memorize all of the standard questions of an interview, you should be alright.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation process. Their offer is the only offer they will go with.

Full Time Clinique Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Basically as in ALL Macy's positions, if nit more in cosmetics, the focus should be SALES, SALES SALES, and customer service. The interview was pretty simple. I had 2 interviews in one day plus a phone interview with Clinique a day or so later. Then you meet with the l9cal Account Exec tlwhivh pretty m7ch means you're hired

Interview Questions
    • How would you persuade and promote a customer to buy an item and 8nsyre a repeat customer?   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate