Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
3,136 Interview Reviews

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview was very simple and easy, with no out of the ordinary occurrences. Even was hired the same day as my interview.The manager who hired me turned out to be a great manager, one of the few. Applying for employment at this particular location is not something to fear as the entire process is rather simple.

Manager Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Recruiter contacted me and I went in and spoke with the human resources manager sales manager and store manager. Ask questions about management style streg gets and weakness. Received a call back a week later to go in an interview with the regional human resources manager and a week later was offered the position

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied for a part time position and got an email for an interview. After the interview I was told there were no part time positions available, even though that's what they posted the job for.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

There was a group interview where the went around and asked everyone questions. After the group interview if you got a follow up interview it was one on one. They did call backs to let you know if you got the position.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work at macys. are you able to work seasonal hours. do you have prior experience in retail.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

The interview process at Macy's was quick and easy. I applied online and received a phone call to set up an interview later that week. I was asked a few typical questions and hired on spot. Questions were basic, and a few behavioral questions. Management was efficient with the process. They asked multiple questions regarding previous retail experience, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot about previous work experience, particularly in retail.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied through university. Had two on-campus interviews, the first was behavioral and the second was a decision-making activity/presentation. After that about 2 weeks later I got invited to a two day interview in Miami, FL. Day 1 you learned more about Macys and the program. Day 2 consisted in 2 group interviews/presentations similar to on-campus and 2 individual behavioral interviews. Plus 2 chats where you can learn more about position. Super great experience! Hotel accommodations were nice. Interview was on Wednesday, heard back the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to implement change and received resistance?   View Answer

Buying and Selling Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview process took about 3 weeks and the interviews were held on campus. There were about 12 candidates and there were two 30 minute back to back interviews.One of the interviewers was an executive while the other was the HR Recruiter

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a time where you had to deliver bad news?   View Answer

Sales Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Store Manager called me on a very next day after I applied. The interview was in couple of days later. It was nice, but a very formal interview with set of questions and I feel like we are going just through motion because they already set for the internal candidate. It dos make sense to me, but in this case why the waist each other time?

Store Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

I met a recruiter during my college career fair and I applied through my school's website. I got an email from the recruiter saying I had an interview and inviting me to do an online power point intro to get more information on the company. After that there was an interview pre-night where you could meet the interviewers. The next day was the interview which consisted of two parts. The first part was a case study where you are given the stats of multiple employees and then you must choose which one is in need of the most training. The second part of the interview was behavioral and consisted of typical interview questions.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

BEWARE OF THE TROLLING AT MACY'S! Save your gas money and time - the jobs they advertise are a trolling scheme.

I got a very rapid response to my job application for Visual Merchandiser full time. No phone contact possible prior to interview. When I got to Macy's half an hour early, an assistant (who looed very unkempt in a shocking way) receives me and tells me the Visual Merchandiser who is supposed to interview me left for the day. I was also told that 18 people had applied for the job - highly unusual and totally unprecedented, said the assistant who looked very nervous. She said that, however, I could interview right then and there for a part time job. I said I am only looking for full time (the job I applied for) and left. Obviously the Visual Merchandising interviewer was present but didn't want to interview anyone for full time.

I have read several (!) reviews on Glassdoor detailing the exact same thing that happened to me today. Don't waste your time or gas money on Macy's.

It is quite obvious that the full time position is not even available in the first place - their ads are just a trolling scheme to get part time people in so they can avoid paying for healt insurance etc.

Interview Questions
    • Are you interrsted in a support position?   View Answer