Macy's

Getting the Interview

2,176 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied then after a couple of days got an email to schedule my interview date. The interview was pretty easy. All you have to do is answer about 10 question mostly about customer service. If you've had a retail sales job before do not stress this interview at all because you'll be able to answer these question easily.

Interview Question – When they asked my about experiences i've had before when this and this occasion happened. I had to make up a story.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Some managers will try to intimidate you since some they have a very diverse work force under them. So, don't be nervous and relax and show them that you are not a push over but willing to take in information to work there.

Interview Question – Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Duluth, MN

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – The hiring process was fast, easy and kinda lay back. The manager treated me with transparency and professionalism.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Standard practices, basic questions

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   View Answer

Credit Granting Representative Interview

Clearwater, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an email for an invitation to interview. Selected my own interview time from their list of time slots. Went to the Macy's Credit & Customer Service office at the scheduled time.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – I did the phone interview in November and received a call to fly to Miami for an in person interview. It was a two day process. The first day is mainly seminars and orientation about the company. The secondary is two interviews, an individual presentation, and then a team assignment.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Online application and then your paperwork is sent through the selection process to a place in Florida. It takes about two weeks before they will send a email to request for you to sign up for an interview slot through an email link. If the email link shows no slots available then you must check that link everyday until one slot becomes available. The system is in real time so if someone cancels on that day you could take their spot.

There are 9 questions based on M.A.G.I.C. an acronym that reflects the selling behaviors you must have to sale at Macy's.
M - Meet and make a Connection: be willing to tell about experiences that you have been able to approach random/unknown people and create a connection with them through asking questions and then be able to create a sale or persuade them to do what you wanted them to do.
A - Ask questions and listen: be willing to demonstrate how you would ask OPEN ENDED questions throughout your selling journey to get the customer to open up and how you would be able to listen to what the customer is really saying in order to capture a sale. For example if a customer wanted pants you would ask about brand, color, style, length, and other details.
G - Give options and advice: be able to tell how your would go above and beyond to give more options to the customers. For example if the customer bought pants you would suggest a top or shoes.
I - Inspire to buy more: be able to tell about experiences that connect to how you could get the customers to come back by getting more info or building a relationship by taking the persons info and calling them on the next sale. And also suggesting other sales within the store.
C - Celebrate the purchase: be able to tell how you would get this person to feel good about the purchase they just made. For example by telling the customers "I think you just found the perfect item for your event come back and tell me how it went."

For each question answer with the structure of the situation, what you did, and how well it turned out.

Interview Question – The last two question vary for every person. Whatever the question answer in the middle never answer with a complete loyalty to one side. For example if they ask do you like detailed work or work that is broad... you give reasons for why both would be good. If they ask do you like to be given direction or have your own control...you answer with reasons why both would be good.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in January 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral Based Questions and tell me about yourself

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time.....followed by what did you learn and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Interview

Tacoma, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Dress nice, they hire by looks

Interview Question – They did not ask me anything other than availability   View Answer

Visual Security Officer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – When I applied for the position with Macy's, the job posting was titled "Loss Prevention Associate." I applied for the position and everything seemed to be online. 2 days after submitting my resume and application, I received an email to log in to an appointment booker to schedule a phone interview for the position. The interview I scheduled was 1 week from the date I received the email.

On the day of the interview and around that time, I never got a phone call from a Macy's representative for the position. My interview was scheduled for 4:30pm on a Friday so around 7:00pm I called in to see if they accidentally missed my interview or something was wrong with my application.

They said someone with Loss Prevention would get back to me by that Monday. Nobody had contacted me so on Tuesday afternoon I called back. Then I finally got ahold of a LP detective who told me that the LPM (Loss Prevention Manager) is no longer with the company and their interviews have all been postponed.

I received the number to the LPM at the closest Macy's store to the one I was applying and when calling him, he thanked me for my patience and set up an interview for the next morning, Wednesday. On this day, our wonderful Michigan weather struck and we got 6 more inches of snow which wasn't too bad at all but I showed up at the store and the LPM didn't. He called my home phone and told me he cancelled because of the weather (I wasn't at home so I didn't get the message). Since I live 45 min from the store I was applying and 45 min to the other LPM's store, I rescheduled the interview ONE LAST TIME at his store on Friday morning. This way I knew for sure he was able to make it.

I finally got there and we met up. He asked multiple questions in the LP office and seemed impressed with the way I presented myself and the answers I gave. He told me he had one more interview for the position and he would be making the decision during the middle of next week. When I got home 1 hour later, there was a message on my home phone waiting for me.

The message was from the HR department at the store I was applying to telling me I got the job at $_._ _ per hour. Come to find out, this wasn't a Loss Prevention Detective job, but a Visual Security Officer job. The difference ... a VSO can only stare at customers but can't do a thing. The undercover LPO is the only one that can say a word to a shoplifter or apprehend somebody. What's the purpose of the VSO? To make a shoplifter know that there's security even though I can't do anything as it is.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to observe and report an incident and write out all the details as specific as possible.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice. All 2,176 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.