Macy's

2,935 Interview Reviews

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interviewing process wasn't really all that difficult. For the First interview it was just the basics : "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle this situation". I got called back for a second interview, but they told me the position was filled and offered me another position instead which was great.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a customer feel better if they're feeling guilty about leaving the store without buying anything?   View Answer

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied to Macy's online during the holidays, was called for a phone interview and got hired right on the spot. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer politely, ask how they are doing before the interview. She begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions: 1. Q: Why Macy's?
    A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.
    Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.
    2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.
    A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.
    Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.
    3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?
    Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)
    4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?
    5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?
    6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.
    A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.
    7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?
    A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).
    8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
    A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.
    9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?
    A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.
    Notes: Something to flatter them.

Interview Questions
    • 2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.(VERY IMPORTANT)
      Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?

Answer Question

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, about 10 days later got request for more information/scheduling an interview, scheduled the interview for the following week, got notified 2 days later of the results. Typical sales associate interview questions. It was later in the evening and the lady conducting the interview was very nice. She asked the usual Why Macy's? Tell me about a time when... asking about customer service experience. How would you react if a customer...

Furniture Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview was scheduled online. They tried calling to change it, but didn't pickup on multiple call back attempts. Interview was very cookie cutter. The interview lasted about 25 minutes even though it was a 15 minute block.

Interview Questions
    • What is one example of a time when you had to work with a team to accomplish a goal?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work at Macy's?   Answer Question
    • would you be comfortable selling someone a Macy's credit card?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Very easy. Just came in and talked to me for about 15 minutes. Asked a few question about how I work with people and how I work under pressure. It really wasn't too bad

Seasonal Recovery Associate Interview

The interview was quick and lasted about ten minutes. It was one on one, and two other people were being interviewed around the same time I was for the same position. All of the questions I had been asked can be found on glassdoor. One I applied online, I received an email the following day asking me to log into my account and schedule an interview. The earliest interview I could schedule was about two weeks out. I was hired on the spot, but then was told that I would have to wait for my background check to process. It tool about another week before they called me and had me go in for training.

Non-negotiable.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Contacted through email by a recruiter to schedule a phone screen. Spoke over the phone at the agreed upon date/time for about 30 minutes. Recruiter lead the conversation and I was asked for questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • What is the purpose of a Human Resources professional?   View Answer

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and later got an email to schedule my interview which was convenient since I got to choose which day and time. I went in and was interviewed by a lady. She was nice, but professional and asked me several questions. She then offered me a position at the end of the interview and I went from there.

No negotiation

Retail Support Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Went to HR department and had a one on one interview with a Manager. If you are applying for seasonal, they usually tell you on the spot if you're hired.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Macy's.

I got a 2nd interview after meeting with a cosmetic rep. I was 15 minutes early at HR and followed the instructions on the phone. No one answered the extension. I called 3x and llft a message. It was 5 minutes past my interview appointment and no one came out. I asked a worker that came out of the locked door to let someone know i was there. A man came and interviewed me in a private room. He was very nice. Asked me basic interview questions. "Why do you want to work for Macy's? " He said i did well, but i was not available during the hours they needed full time which was all hours. It would have been nice to get that information before the 2nd interview so that both our times would not have been wasted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get a customer to keep buying from you?   View Answer