Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

On-Call Sales Associate

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Applied online. Got email back to schedule interview. Interview was not difficult. Asked about experience in working in retail. Also, asked situational questions and what you would do during such situation.

Interview Question – What qualifications would make you an ideal candidate for this position   Answer Question

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had a one on one interview with a store manager in a small room in the Human Resources department of the store. She had a paper with the questions she was going to ask and boxes where she would write in my answers. The first question she asked was why I wanted to work for Macy's. As I started to answer, her phone went off. She answered it and I guess it was an employee that needed help. She said she had to go deal with the problem, as all the other managers were in a meeting or something. She was gone for at least ten minutes! After that I pretty much knew that I did not want to work there. Something to keep in mind is that the interview is not only for the employer to see if you would be a good fit for their company, but also for you to decide if it's a company you truly want to commit your time to. Once she came back, the whole process felt rushed. The questions were very easy and basic: "How would you encourage customers to sign up for a Macy's card? Explain your role in a past team project." As we were finishing up the interview, her phone rang again. We ended with a quick, "Nice to meet you." as she rushed off again. One of the requirements for this position is that you must have total open availability Friday-Sunday. I explained to her that that just wasn't possible for me because I'm a college student that will have many other responsibilities, like homework and volunteer work, once the semester starts back up. I want to say that's why I wasn't offered a position, but it could have also been that she didn't think I was the right candidate. I would have to say this was the worst interview I've been on. Not saying it was totally horrific, but it was definitely the least professional one I've been on.

Interview Question – She asked me something like, "Tell me about a time from one of my previous jobs when there was a service or product that a customer wanted that we didn't have anymore and how I substituted it with something else."   View Answer

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – You submit an application online and they have you fill out a 100 question questionare that asks you about work ethic, and how you respond in certain situations. They say there are no right or wrong answers on the test. Allow yourself some time to take the quiz, it takes about a half hour. I got a call back within a week of taking the online questionaire.

Interview Question – Why Macy's as opposed to another large department store. The questions were very straight forward. They ask you about your prevous work experience, how you get along with others, and ask you to pretend to "sell" an item to them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they offer you the job on the spot and kind of force it upon you.

Vice President Store Manager Interview

Vice President Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – First you have to compete an Online application, and people answers. Then you meet with the local HR director and District Manager. If they like you then you interview with senior management our of town.

Interview Question – None, the normal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated salary

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2010.

Interview Details – Most interviews take less then 30 min. and they do almost all communication by email so don't call the store because they will direct you to check your email this should include your spam because sometimes it goes there. Unless they want you to interview with a manager from another department or your interviewing for a beauty consultant it is a one interview process. Most offers are made at the end of that first interview unless they need to second and you should get an email with in a week of the interview letting you know the hiring managers decision.

Interview Question – They often ask you to sell them a product by role playing and this can happen in he office or out on the sales floor.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – A lot of selling positions start at min. wage. If you have a couple years or you want them to match what your current employer is paying you then you must ask t the time they make an offer. Raises are on performance based yearly and not that big if you don't move up.

Sales Associate

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – apply online. stop in store or call for follow up. If you are looking for a beauty department role wear make up that is better than boring but, nothing extreme.

Interview Question – why macy's?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – They ask me typical interview questions. Why Macy's? How are you going to sell a pair of jeans? Do you have computer skills? When can I start. The interview was 45 minutes and they tell me the results immidietly

Interview Question – How will you handle with rude customer   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor (Part-time) Interview

Beauty Advisor (Part-time)
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invitation for an interview via email. Very easy process. Picked a time online that worked, and came in to interview with HR. He asked very basic questions and it lasted only 15 minutes. He said he liked my experience and would pass my resume on to the cosmetics manager. I was invited back a few days later to interview with her and she said she really liked me and I was what they were looking for because she liked my sales background - even though I had no cosmetics experience. Same type of questions, nothing difficult - standard questions. A week later I was interviewed with the brand manager. This one lasted 2 hours. An hour with him and I got grilled. Then he softened up and started to like me, so I knew it was heading in a good direction. He then brought me down to the counter. I was then interviewed by the counter manager and someone else associated with the brand but I forget what she does. They really liked me and offered me the job right after. I was able to negotiate a better base and I'm satisfied. Base plus 3% commission - and very happy with it. Everyone was super nice. Just be confident and you have to sell yourself. It was harder than I thought to get a beauty advisor job but I like the flexibility of the hours. Weekends are required.

Interview Question – All very standard: name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer; how comfortable are you working on a team; are you comfortable working for commission; can you work nights and weekends   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a base. I asked for 3 extra dollars per hour. He said he couldn't go that high. I said I would meet them in the middle. I was offered $1.50 extra per hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and they sent me an email to schedule for an interview a few weeks later. The interview process was like 20 mins long and they ask pretty general questions most that are on this website.

Interview Question – Pretty Easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Sunday evening, got an email on Monday to set up an interview, interviewed on Wednesday and was offered a job two hours after the interview. The whole process was very fast, which was nice for me having just left my other job.

Everyone was friendly. I showed up ten minutes early, and started my interview on schedule. The interviewer was very nice and I felt no pressure. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was told I would receive an email letting me know if they could find a match for me.

Two hours later, I got a phone call from one of the managers offering me a position!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to help someone with a complicated problem and it turned out well.   View Answer
  • Explain a time when you could not convince someone of something (they just said, "No. No. No." to everything you offered), and how it turned out.   View Answer
  • Other questions were generic: "Why Macy's?" "Explain a time you worked on a project with multiple people and how it went." Etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!