Macy's

Average Difficulty
2,492 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – You submit an application online and they have you fill out a 100 question questionare that asks you about work ethic, and how you respond in certain situations. They say there are no right or wrong answers on the test. Allow yourself some time to take the quiz, it takes about a half hour. I got a call back within a week of taking the online questionaire.

Interview Question – Why Macy's as opposed to another large department store. The questions were very straight forward. They ask you about your prevous work experience, how you get along with others, and ask you to pretend to "sell" an item to them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they offer you the job on the spot and kind of force it upon you.

Vice President Store Manager Interview

Vice President Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – First you have to compete an Online application, and people answers. Then you meet with the local HR director and District Manager. If they like you then you interview with senior management our of town.

Interview Question – None, the normal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated salary

Sales Associate

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – apply online. stop in store or call for follow up. If you are looking for a beauty department role wear make up that is better than boring but, nothing extreme.

Interview Question – why macy's?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – They ask me typical interview questions. Why Macy's? How are you going to sell a pair of jeans? Do you have computer skills? When can I start. The interview was 45 minutes and they tell me the results immidietly

Interview Question – How will you handle with rude customer   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor (Part-time) Interview

Beauty Advisor (Part-time)
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invitation for an interview via email. Very easy process. Picked a time online that worked, and came in to interview with HR. He asked very basic questions and it lasted only 15 minutes. He said he liked my experience and would pass my resume on to the cosmetics manager. I was invited back a few days later to interview with her and she said she really liked me and I was what they were looking for because she liked my sales background - even though I had no cosmetics experience. Same type of questions, nothing difficult - standard questions. A week later I was interviewed with the brand manager. This one lasted 2 hours. An hour with him and I got grilled. Then he softened up and started to like me, so I knew it was heading in a good direction. He then brought me down to the counter. I was then interviewed by the counter manager and someone else associated with the brand but I forget what she does. They really liked me and offered me the job right after. I was able to negotiate a better base and I'm satisfied. Base plus 3% commission - and very happy with it. Everyone was super nice. Just be confident and you have to sell yourself. It was harder than I thought to get a beauty advisor job but I like the flexibility of the hours. Weekends are required.

Interview Question – All very standard: name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer; how comfortable are you working on a team; are you comfortable working for commission; can you work nights and weekends   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a base. I asked for 3 extra dollars per hour. He said he couldn't go that high. I said I would meet them in the middle. I was offered $1.50 extra per hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and they sent me an email to schedule for an interview a few weeks later. The interview process was like 20 mins long and they ask pretty general questions most that are on this website.

Interview Question – Pretty Easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Sunday evening, got an email on Monday to set up an interview, interviewed on Wednesday and was offered a job two hours after the interview. The whole process was very fast, which was nice for me having just left my other job.

Everyone was friendly. I showed up ten minutes early, and started my interview on schedule. The interviewer was very nice and I felt no pressure. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was told I would receive an email letting me know if they could find a match for me.

Two hours later, I got a phone call from one of the managers offering me a position!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to help someone with a complicated problem and it turned out well.   View Answer
  • Explain a time when you could not convince someone of something (they just said, "No. No. No." to everything you offered), and how it turned out.   View Answer
  • Other questions were generic: "Why Macy's?" "Explain a time you worked on a project with multiple people and how it went." Etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Part-Time Sales Associate

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and it took one day to be able to schedule an interview. I wore all black to my interview. At the interview, I met with a manager at the executive office and answers his questions. He asked me about my availability, how I would sell a Macy's card, my experience in customer service and why I would want to work for Macy's. I kept it honest, was myself and looked him directly in his eyes. I kept confident and relaxed. He said he was impressed with my answers. After this, a few days later I was contacted for a second interview. At the second interview, I met with another manager, she was very friendly and easy to talk to. She asked me how good I am multitasking and dealing with different customer needs at the same time. She offered me the position. I came in the next day to start training which took two days and I was paid for it. The only thing that caught me by surprise is that they did not ask for a background check for my position as it was not required and that I would not able able to work until 3 weeks from then because the schedule was already posted, but I can pick up shifts online if someone wants to drop it. So be prepared for the wait.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Macy's?   View Answer
  • How would you get a customer to apply for a Macy's credit card?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to tell your manager about something wrong you saw your coworker do.   View Answer

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Very long and tiring but very hands off
Company relies on computer versus human to human reaction. It could be more better to get the interaction of supervisors and trainees but that is not the case.
Macy could do better with creating excitement moving forward.

Very Easy Interview

Wayne, NJ

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online. The process took a few days and then I got an email to schedule an interview. It was the easiest interview i ever got and I got hired on the spot.

Interview Question – No difficult question. It was all easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. It was my first real job that wasn't a temp job. The manager basically guided me through the interview and was really nice. She even gave me hints.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!