Macy's

2.3

Commission Sales- Big Ticket Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in August 2008.

Basic job interest is gathered in a computerized application process. Prospective candidates are screened through basic Human Resources analysis matching qualified applicants with hiring priorities. Managers interview qualified individuals for their area of supervision. Once hired, there is ongoing assessment and daily observation. Performance is measured with accountability for application of skills and appropriate procedures. Management focuses on response to challenges and achievement of goals. Consistent outstanding performance in sales, service and loyalty are routinely coached with high expectaions for achievement. Successful associates are promoted to higher levels of responsibility in accordance with their career goals.

Interview Questions
    • How much of the deficiency in areas outside your direct responsibility are you willing to suppliment with your own performance to assure the team has an outstanding overall result?   View Answer
    Absolutely confidential.

Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in February 2010.

I walkin in macys, and talk to cosmetic department manager. She asked me to come for the interview in 2 days. My interview with her went really well. Then i got a call from her after 1 week n schdule me an interview with Macys Director. That interview also went really well, then i was told that i will get a call from Account Cordinator of Clinique for another interview. So again i had one more interview with AC which also went well . Then he told me i will be having phone structured interview . Which will be for one hour, and will will decide if i will get thr job or not. I had phone interview couple of days ago. Really strange interview. I felt as if i was talking to a computer. She was asking me questions i have to judge and answer each question. She would'nt repharse the question if i didnt get what she was asking.

Later the same day i got a call from Clinique Account Executive and setup another interview.

So , so far i had 4 interviews with macy's for one position n i was schduled for one more within 2 days. I called department manager today and she said as my phone interview didnt went well, but inperson interviews went really well so they think, it might be because of language barrier, so they want to give me another chance and they schduled for another in person interview.

I didnt know it was so difficult to get into macy;s for a counter manager position.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2009.

I first met with the recruiter at my school career fair. She reviewed my resume and told me to submit an application online so she can interview me. They LOVE candidates that have retail experience. A week later they held a pre-night session where they discussed about the company, the position and a chance to meet and talk to other Executives.

The next day I had my on-campus interview. I met with 2 different executives one after another. This consisted of behavioral based questions,"Tell me about a time when..." Each interview consisted of about 8 behavioral based questions which took 30 minutes each. They want candidates that are able to apply their leadership skills along with analytical.

A few days later, I received an e-mail to attend an on-site interview. They flew me along with 3 other selected candidates from my school to NYC. They paid for the flight, hotel in Manhattan and food expenses. After we arrived and settled in, we took a taxi to the building we were supposed to meet at. there was a total of 50 candidates from all over the East where we sat around the conference table. During this whole On-site assessment/interview, we had to do presentations and even left the first night with homework to work on in our hotel rooms. We had to prepare our presentations where we analyzed a set of information and we had to interpret it. This was presented in front of a group of Macy's Executives. Along with that presentation, we had to analyze a information that was in a packet where we were given 15 minutes to analyze it an prepare a presentation. They want to see your style of coaching and if you are a right fit for the company. We also had to complete a retail-math test. We were given 30 minutes to complete this.

Along with presentations in front of executives, we had two 1:1 interviews. One with a HR staff where he went over the personality test we had to complete beforehand. He asked psychological questions based on a pattern they find from your test results. I was asked am I risk taker or do I take it easy. Then he kept digging more and more into it.

The second interview was with a store manager. He just asked behavioral based questions. Each of these interviews were 45 minutes. I thought they were pretty easy interviews, and they both seemed to like me and think I would be perfect for the job with my retail experience and personality.

However, I did not receive an offer. They are looking for someone laid back and able to handle all ages like old people since there are a lot of old people that work at Macy's. I thought they were very misleading in showing interest and telling me that I am their dream girl and I would be perfect for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with something based on your beliefs. What did you do?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

the interviewer was like 1 hour late and then he asked me some tough questions

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

I saw a position open at Macy's. It was on lpjobs.com for a Loss Prevention person. I spent two hours filling out the application on-line, taking the personality test, and scheduling an interview with the LPM. I took time off of work, drove the 1 hour it took to get there. This bright shiny 20 something HR manager took one look at me (dressed very nice for a Macy's interview) and said, "What are you here for?", plastic too-busy to care attitude. "I am here for my interview at 10:00 AM.", I replied. She asked, "What position?" and I said, "Loss Prevention". She said, "Filled. Sorry..." and returned to her work. I said, "But I got an e-mail confirming that position was open and that I needed to be at this store at 10:00 AM." She gave a huff, pretended to look through some papers. "Yep, we filled that position two weeks ago." If I had the energy I would be going to the EEOC.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in May 2011.

I interviewed at Macy's for the position of Beauty Adviser and was not ready for the questions they asked. The interviewer was really nice and I was glad to see she was Asian like me. But apparently I didn't have the chops. I prepared all night but for the wrong questions! it's not fair, I really wanted that job. I even declined an interview at another company so i could be considered for that position. I can't remember the questions they asked, just vaguely. Anyone?

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you took on a leadership role, what were your responsibilities and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Full Time Commissioned Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in November 2011.

Job listing was posted on a Wednesday, and application was submitted on the same day. Was contacted later that day for setting up an interview, so I set one up for the next day. Showed up for the interview only to be told that the position that I had applied to had been filled and instead was offered a part time stocking job, something that I did not apply for at all. They said that background checks take 3-5 days to be completed before an employment opportunity is actually offered, so it is impossible for the position to have been taken if the listing was made the day before, meaning the position was never even available.

Interview Questions
    • Would you instead be willing to work this position since the one you applied for has been taken?   Answer Question

Read above, EXTREMELY unprofessional

Store Sign Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

HR just looked at my resume, she saw my last salary and just decided that I was over qualified did not even proceed with the interview I had came from Puerto Rico becase they wanted to interview me I lost $400.00 on a plane ticket Not to mention that they just wastes my time. This lady did not do her job, did not even look at the application before inviting me to come for this interview. She was very poorly prepared.

Interview Questions
    • I wish they would at least ask me one question! I was poorly trated! Very unethical to not even interview me at all.   Answer Question

EDP Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Multiple interviews to go through...two phone calls or on campus meetings, then an on-site two day interview process then you meet with a regional director. They are very serious about who they hire and you really have to prove yourself. Although some very talented people didn't get in and some crazy kids did get in so I'm not sure who makes the decisions if some of the recruiters are better than others at talent development but mine that I worked with was really great so I can't complain.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of real life examples such as reading reports and such on the spot, just don't go into the job if you don't know anything about retail   Answer Question
    Not much to negotiate

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

I waited in a common area for at least 20 minutes waiting for the interviewer. She was very polite but read from a script the entire interview. It made things very tense and uncomfortable. She asked me at least 10 difficult questions that I was not prepared for in the slightest. They were all 3-4 sentences in length and after I would answer, she would spend the next two minutes writing down my word for word answer..... Every question seemed to end with "Tell me a time when you......". It was extremely awkward.

Interview Questions
    • ....Tell me about a time when you witnessed a coworker being dishonest and how you handled the situation. Explain to me how you showed integrity.   View Answers (2)