Macy's

2,488 candidate interviews

Commission Sales- Big Ticket Interview

Commission Sales- Big Ticket
Frisco, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Macy's in August 2008.

Interview Details – Basic job interest is gathered in a computerized application process. Prospective candidates are screened through basic Human Resources analysis matching qualified applicants with hiring priorities. Managers interview qualified individuals for their area of supervision. Once hired, there is ongoing assessment and daily observation. Performance is measured with accountability for application of skills and appropriate procedures. Management focuses on response to challenges and achievement of goals. Consistent outstanding performance in sales, service and loyalty are routinely coached with high expectaions for achievement. Successful associates are promoted to higher levels of responsibility in accordance with their career goals.

Interview Question – How much of the deficiency in areas outside your direct responsibility are you willing to suppliment with your own performance to assure the team has an outstanding overall result?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Absolutely confidential.

Counter Manager Interview

Counter Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2010.

Interview Details – I walkin in macys, and talk to cosmetic department manager. She asked me to come for the interview in 2 days. My interview with her went really well. Then i got a call from her after 1 week n schdule me an interview with Macys Director. That interview also went really well, then i was told that i will get a call from Account Cordinator of Clinique for another interview. So again i had one more interview with AC which also went well . Then he told me i will be having phone structured interview . Which will be for one hour, and will will decide if i will get thr job or not. I had phone interview couple of days ago. Really strange interview. I felt as if i was talking to a computer. She was asking me questions i have to judge and answer each question. She would'nt repharse the question if i didnt get what she was asking.

Later the same day i got a call from Clinique Account Executive and setup another interview.

So , so far i had 4 interviews with macy's for one position n i was schduled for one more within 2 days. I called department manager today and she said as my phone interview didnt went well, but inperson interviews went really well so they think, it might be because of language barrier, so they want to give me another chance and they schduled for another in person interview.

I didnt know it was so difficult to get into macy;s for a counter manager position.

Executive Development Program Interview

Executive Development Program
Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2009.

Interview Details – I first met with the recruiter at my school career fair. She reviewed my resume and told me to submit an application online so she can interview me. They LOVE candidates that have retail experience. A week later they held a pre-night session where they discussed about the company, the position and a chance to meet and talk to other Executives.

The next day I had my on-campus interview. I met with 2 different executives one after another. This consisted of behavioral based questions,"Tell me about a time when..." Each interview consisted of about 8 behavioral based questions which took 30 minutes each. They want candidates that are able to apply their leadership skills along with analytical.

A few days later, I received an e-mail to attend an on-site interview. They flew me along with 3 other selected candidates from my school to NYC. They paid for the flight, hotel in Manhattan and food expenses. After we arrived and settled in, we took a taxi to the building we were supposed to meet at. there was a total of 50 candidates from all over the East where we sat around the conference table. During this whole On-site assessment/interview, we had to do presentations and even left the first night with homework to work on in our hotel rooms. We had to prepare our presentations where we analyzed a set of information and we had to interpret it. This was presented in front of a group of Macy's Executives. Along with that presentation, we had to analyze a information that was in a packet where we were given 15 minutes to analyze it an prepare a presentation. They want to see your style of coaching and if you are a right fit for the company. We also had to complete a retail-math test. We were given 30 minutes to complete this.

Along with presentations in front of executives, we had two 1:1 interviews. One with a HR staff where he went over the personality test we had to complete beforehand. He asked psychological questions based on a pattern they find from your test results. I was asked am I risk taker or do I take it easy. Then he kept digging more and more into it.

The second interview was with a store manager. He just asked behavioral based questions. Each of these interviews were 45 minutes. I thought they were pretty easy interviews, and they both seemed to like me and think I would be perfect for the job with my retail experience and personality.

However, I did not receive an offer. They are looking for someone laid back and able to handle all ages like old people since there are a lot of old people that work at Macy's. I thought they were very misleading in showing interest and telling me that I am their dream girl and I would be perfect for the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with something based on your beliefs. What did you do?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Cosmetics Sales Associate
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Interview Details – the interviewer was like 1 hour late and then he asked me some tough questions

Loss Prevention Interview

Loss Prevention
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Interview Details – I saw a position open at Macy's. It was on lpjobs.com for a Loss Prevention person. I spent two hours filling out the application on-line, taking the personality test, and scheduling an interview with the LPM. I took time off of work, drove the 1 hour it took to get there. This bright shiny 20 something HR manager took one look at me (dressed very nice for a Macy's interview) and said, "What are you here for?", plastic too-busy to care attitude. "I am here for my interview at 10:00 AM.", I replied. She asked, "What position?" and I said, "Loss Prevention". She said, "Filled. Sorry..." and returned to her work. I said, "But I got an e-mail confirming that position was open and that I needed to be at this store at 10:00 AM." She gave a huff, pretended to look through some papers. "Yep, we filled that position two weeks ago." If I had the energy I would be going to the EEOC.

Interview Question – None   View Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor
Columbia, SC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in May 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed at Macy's for the position of Beauty Adviser and was not ready for the questions they asked. The interviewer was really nice and I was glad to see she was Asian like me. But apparently I didn't have the chops. I prepared all night but for the wrong questions! it's not fair, I really wanted that job. I even declined an interview at another company so i could be considered for that position. I can't remember the questions they asked, just vaguely. Anyone?

Interview Question – Name a time you took on a leadership role, what were your responsibilities and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Full Time Commissioned Sales Interview

Full Time Commissioned Sales

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in November 2011.

Interview Details – Job listing was posted on a Wednesday, and application was submitted on the same day. Was contacted later that day for setting up an interview, so I set one up for the next day. Showed up for the interview only to be told that the position that I had applied to had been filled and instead was offered a part time stocking job, something that I did not apply for at all. They said that background checks take 3-5 days to be completed before an employment opportunity is actually offered, so it is impossible for the position to have been taken if the listing was made the day before, meaning the position was never even available.

Interview Question – Would you instead be willing to work this position since the one you applied for has been taken?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Read above, EXTREMELY unprofessional

Gift Registry Consultant Interview

Gift Registry Consultant
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2012.

Interview Details – Worst interview experience I ever had. When I went to check in for my interview, Human Resources simply told me that there was no one there to interview me and I would have to wait 2-4 hours for them to come in or come back a different day, even though my interview time had been set up and confirmed with HR prior to date. I told them I had a flight that afternoon and I would be away for a month and inquired about a phone interview, but they had no interest to accommodate me. The desk attendant just gave me a number to call if I wanted to reschedule in a month or told me I could reapply another time. Frustrated, I left HR and went directly to the Bridal Registry floor to see if there was a manager I could speak to. A consultant informed me that there has not been a manager on their floor for the past 4 months, and after searching 20 minutes she could not find anyone in a supervisory position to speak to me about the job. Everything was just so bizarre and unorganized... my suggestion is don't even bother showing up to your interview unless they confirmed a time with you via phone or in person.

Interview Question – Can you wait a few hours or come back another day?   Answer Question

Store Sales Interview

Store Sales
Flushing, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2012.

Interview Details – Few questions then asked me to leave

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Interview with District Manager followed up with corporate interviews and testing.

Interview Question – Process of firing employees not meeting expectations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated on Salary and moving expenses and was successful.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!