Macy's

Updated Mar 2, 2015
3,049 Interview Reviews

2.3

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I filled out an application online. Got emailed a few days later, went in to give the interview. I wait in the HR room, after 20 minutes got called in. The lady was nice, she said she was the young HR director or something. She was basically reading of a paper in front of her. The questions were easy I would say. After the interview was done she want to talk to the beauty manager. She came back after 5 minutes to say NO JOB WAS AVAILABLE. I'm thinking wth? Why did I come in to waste my time and give an interview then. I think they might of done that because I was overqualified and would have negotiated on pay.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you lead a team?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with putting makeup on peoples face, touching them with your hands?   Answer Question
    • How would you make clients come back to you? What is important for you to do with clients?   Answer Question

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2011.

The whole process didn't take very long. I saw they were hiring so I took an assessment and I did well enough that I was offered an interview that I scheduled online.

Went to the interview, and there were 2 hiring managers interviewing (one was job shadowing the other). After a brief introduction, they went over my skills and asked basic questions about how I might go about handling different situations with customers and questions about my Personality and work ethic. When they were finishing their interview, I asked a few questions about the company; what job functions I might have to perform, dress code, etc. It took a brief 15 minutes, and wasn't really stressful. I think they just needed to add more employees in preparation for the holidays, so I felt like they weren't really nitpicky. They said they would be in contact soon regarding my interview.

I shortly received an email the next day saying my interview went well and they were interested in hiring me. They offered minimum wage since I wouldn't be working on commission and it was a seasonal position. I needed the extra income so I accepted their offer.

Interview Questions
    • what qualities do you think makes up a good sales associate?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in May 2011.

I inquired as to whether or not there were any openings in the area of retail sales. I was given an application to fill out, which I did, then I submitted it to the manager on duty, who interviewed me on the spot once she took care of a few things.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

Easy interview, waste of time. After her showing up a hour late, she interviewed me just to tell me all their spots were filled. Which pissed me off because I already had trouble getting there(car was acting up). Btw, Macy's has a reputation of conducting interviews just to tell you they're not hiring. Even when they have a big"Now hiring" sign. Not to scare anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel comfortable applying makeup?
      Name a time you had to think outside the box..
      Name a time you had to sell something, what was the outcome?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

If they call you in for an interview, it is more than likely that you've already gotten the job. They ask pretty basic questions, nothing that wasn't far from the normal interview questions. i.e "Why do you want to work for our company? , What do you consider to be some of your strengths, etc. " It is a great job for beginners to gain experience in the customer service field.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online for seasonal position. Had a phone interview with one of the managers. She asked few basic question and set the training day. Got all of my paperwork done the same day, and called for a shift three days after.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer with a very negative attitude   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied online on Sunday and was sent an email to schedule an interview on Tuesday. I interviewed on Thursday. Interview was conducted in a pleasant manner. Interviewer was a manager, but not the hiring manager. Interview started out with Why Macy's question, then Tell me about yourself. Interview lasted about 20 minutes. Interviewer was very nice and personable.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you using technology to help a customer?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Had my first interview with the Macy's Head of Beauty and Cosmetics. she passed my details onto Clarins and I had a second interview with the Clarins Account Executive a few days later. Both interviews were very relaxed and it was a very friendly atmosphere, I felt very at ease in both interviews. I was offered the position at the end of the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about applying skincare,makeup to customers faces?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you worked as a team member and what your role was and the outcome.   Answer Question

Sales Associate In Macy's Fine Jewelry Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Got an email within a few days of applying. Needed a second interview with the manager of the Fine Jewelry Department. Interview was pretty easy, just basic questions. Whole process took about 2 weeks, from applying to starting.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation where you needed to convince an individual or a group to do a specific task?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Macy's.

The Process was fairly quick. Got 3 interviews all in 1 week and got a job offer. I was told to apply at the store computers which reach to the management faster, then got called in 4 days. Got interviewed with Cosmetics Department Manager, 2 days later got interviewed by another Manager, and then same day got Interviewed by the Brand Manager, 2 days got a job offer.