Macy's

2,859 Interview Reviews

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

APPLICATION PROCESS:
    I applied online--this included the assessment test, resume and normal questionnaire. Two days after I submitted the proper forms, I got an email from the company telling me that they would like to contact me soon to conduct a phone interview.

PREPARATION PROCESS:
    I looked at Glassdoor A LOT and it was really helpful. From the question examples I found on here, I wrote them out on a Word doc and typed up bullet-pointed answers to the according questions. I Googled typical interview questions, did my research on the Macy's official site and practiced questioning and answering myself to my personal "Glassdoor Question" list I printed out for myself. This took about a day and a half. A week later is when I first got contacted by Macy's.

INTERVIEW PROCESS:
    It was just done over the phone, took about 30mins (including the wait time to get a representative + the interviewer going over my results at the end). My interviewer was a woman and she was pretty good I guess and she asked me about five main questions and a few clarifying ones. She was also very patient when I asked to repeat some questions. Honestly, after going through the phone interview, I knew I could have done a bit better because I said "um" a bit more than I would have liked but in the end it was okay since I was offered the position. She asked all the questions that I found on Glassdoor, just worded a bit differently. Overall, it was a pretty quick process and I thought I did better than expected being this my first professional interview.

TIPS (most specifically to phone interviews):
    - Stand up. It builds more confidence.
    - Practice. Practice. Practice.
    - If it's over the phone, it helps to print out your answers to possible questions like how I did and paste them on a wall so you can refer to them (obviously the interviewer can't see you).
    - Be prepared to use examples every chance you get.
    - Be honest. No one likes a liar.
    - Warm up your voice beforehand so you don't croak especially if it's in the morning and you recently woke up.
    - Don't be afraid to politely ask the interviewer to repeat a question.
    - Smile when you can while talking, it shows through your voice.
    - Keep your phone on you at all times--learned that the hard way. They called right when I went upstairs to grab something and I ended up missing it.
    - With that said, don't hesitate to call back.
    - This cannot be emphasized enough: BE YOURSELF.

Interview Questions
    • (The ones that I could remember clearly)
      1) What is your favorite season (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter)?
      2) Why work at Macy's? What can you contribute to the company?
      3) Tell me about time you had to sell a product to a customer.
      4) Tell me about a time when you had to give another product option to a customer. How did you do it?
      5) Tell me about a time when someone on your team was not doing what they were told. What did you do and what was the outcome?
        View Answer
    No negotiation. She told me I would be paid $9.52 per hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

The interview with very well and very quick. The manager was very friendly, joked and smiled, and made me feel comfortable. She made me feel like I was talking to a friend the entire time with made me at ease because I'm a very shy person. She let my know on the spot that I did very good during the interview and they need people with my personality

Interview Questions
    • If you were ever in a situation where your integrity was tested in a work place, school, and etc what would you do? & why?   Answer Question
    the min. in the state

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied to Macy's to be a regular part time associate. The interview was normal. The manager went through the paper and asked the questions. I was a little nervous because this was my first real interview for a job EVER. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. In October as the holidays approached, I applied again to become a seasonal sales associate. I was called and did a phone interview. It was very easy. She asked me a few questions and then hired me. I just want to tell everyone DON'T GIVE UP!!! The seasonal sales associate position can lead to part time so do your best!!!

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question. Just be prepared with examples.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cosmetic Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

First off I went for an interview and the manager was rude. I said hello he didn't was anything I was trying to shake his hand and he kept walking. During the interview he kept looking at me like I was a strange individual.. He didn't smile he wasn't friendly he was outright rude.

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Filled out application online and was later asked to schedule an interview. Went to the interview 30 minutes early. Dressed in all black (pants,blouse,blazer). Greeted by an employee and later sat down with interviewer. Was asked only 4 questions. Very comfortable and easy. Questions on glass door definitely helped, so look them before interview! Didn't get the job because they wanted someone with open availability.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly easy. All questions on glass door are the ones asked!   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Few weeks later received an email to schedule for an interview. Came to the interview 30 minutes early. Checked in. One-on-one interview. She was really nice. After that interview I was then interviewed ny another lady and im guessing that was a department manager that I was going to be with if i was hired. She was sweet to. It was nerve wrecking but got over it

Interview Questions
    • How would you up sale a customer if she was only buying jeans?   View Answer

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

One inital phone interview, moved on the next day to the second phone interview. After the second phone interview I was told I was going to be flown to the on-site interview. It was a two day round of events, first day was info session, second day had 4 different kinds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think a goal for employees should be tangible or intangible   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Was a rushed process and not even there for 15 minutes. Common questions are asked of why work here or about helping others dress. Also asked about experience being really important to them.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Web based testing and application then multiple interviews, go through security like a criminal, then find a hidden office on your own, answer weird questions, etc..... I was hoping for an intellectual conversation but the questions were quite basic and immature

Interview Questions
    You don't get to negotiate

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

The process starts in store or online. One can apply online or head to the stores executive office to apply through a computer station. Once the application is submitted and is chosen for an interview the individual will be met by a manger or two, along with an HR supervisor. It helps to dress up after all this is an upscale department store unlike a marshalls/kohls. After the interview process if the person is chosen for a position they will undergo a mandatory 1-2 day computer/register training whether they are returning or starting a new. After which they are placed on the floor within a designated area and proceed to create moments, open up star rewards, and build sales.

Interview Questions
    • Prior examples of conflict resolution with customers/ co-workers/ managers.

Good/bad qualities about yourself.
        Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. I had come from the suburbs and the offered salary was substantially higher than my prior retail job so there was no reason to bargain on my end.