Macy's

Updated Feb 25, 2015
3,040 Interview Reviews

2.3

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The head of Macy's Cosmetics Dept interviewed me. She made me feel at ease and relaxed. She asked me about 5 questions. At the end she told me she was going to pass on my details to Clarins, which the position is for, and they will be contacting me for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel applying makeup to a customer?

Tell me about a time you have worked as a team member?

Answer Question

Store Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

Macy's came to my college campus and did various information sessions before selecting interview applicants. The interview has two parts: a typical behavioral interview and a role-playing situation, where they gave you employees' sales cards and you had to pick which employee's improvement you wanted to focus on and why.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Macy's.

Asked me a few simple questions. Very personable. I dressed well, they treated me with respect... It was very informal. Took about 15-20 minutes. I honestly felt smarter than the manager who was interviewing me. They hired me on the spot.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

The interviewers were all great. The interview includes a typical behavioral interview, and a case interview where they give you sales stats on several sales associates and asks you to analyze them and who you would coach and why.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was difficult. Be prepared to role-play speaking to an employee about strengths/weaknesses.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

It was good. The recruiter asked basic questions and was very nice. She made me feel very comfortable. I am waiting for the next process which is the skills interview as there is a three step process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and received an appointment for an interview through the email. I went to the interview dressed as usual, but elegant compared with the women associates look as deaumbulants, horrible hairs, very unprofessional, looks dirty.

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Submitted application online, heard back within days and hired on the spot. During the interview I was asked about how I handled an ethical situation at work. The focus was mostly on my past experience in customer care.

Interview Questions
    I did not try to negotiate salary but felt it was slightly possible to get more than offered,.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied online and received an email the next day, inviting me to come interview. I could choose the time. One-on-one interview in private office. Interviewer wrote down all my answers. Standard interview questions. With a bit of common sense, it is fairly easy. There was time afterwards for my questions, and I was offered my choice of 2 jobs on the spot. Low pay and no negotiation at all, but commissions should bump it up a bit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you saw someone doing something wrong, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

The online application took about 30 minutes, if even, to complete. I got contacted the next day to schedule an interview. I really liked the idea of scheduling the interview. I scheduled for 5 days after I got the email. The woman who interviewed me at my particular location was awful. I showed up about 10 minutes early, and she came in about 5-7 minutes after my 4pm appointment. I dressed the part in a black and white polka dot pencil skirt, a nice white shell, and a black casual blazer. I shook her hand and introduced myself and felt an icy blast automatically. She would not unfold her hand for the handshake. Very odd. We went back into a little room and we discussed the basic questions. However, she would often question me on my answers.

Interview Questions
    • -Why do you want to work here?
      -When were you in a team environment?
      -Have you ever had any conflict with coworkers?
      -Have you ever felt as if your confidence has been threatened? (very weird question to answer).

I felt as if I was being interrogated for a murder! I am 18 years old, an AP/honors student in high school with plans to attend a vigorous 4 year university this coming fall. She asked A LOT about my availability. I answered with how my studies are a priority at this point in my life, and she asked WHY? I was disgusted. I was more than willing to work weekends and selective evenings during the school week. She then asked how long I was planning to work with them, and I said that since I will only be at school 20 minutes away, I could come home on weekends and work. Get ready for this statement, and I quote:

"All you college-bound kids say you'll come work weekends and you never really do, so I don't know about that answer."

You're interviewing ME, not "other college-bound kids". That comment really infuriated me. Then, her cell phone rings, someone asked to meet her for food. She answered and said "oh yes, I'm almost done with this thing." Thing?! It's a job interview. Be professional. It pretty much ended a few minutes about that. She said "Well I don't think I'll be making a decision today, but you seem nice so you may be in the running after I see how the other interviews go." I said thank you and to give me a call, but now that I've had some time to think about it, I don't think I'll answer.

Macy's is not a bad place to work, I'm sure of it. It just wasn't the best place for someone with my availability at this time, or the fact I'm just a "college-bound kid."

View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied online 2 days later I got an e-mail to schedule an interview. I went to the interview and the lady was very nice that interviewed me which was my department manager. The interview questions were easy only 7 questions. Original questions such as "Why do you want to work at Macy's?" I was hired right on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you and your co-worker had to achieve the same goal.   Answer Question