Macy's

Getting the Interview

2,169 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seasonal Sales Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online. I was sent an e-mail to interview in-store. Called for a second interview with the hiring departments manager. Called and offered me position.

Interview Question – How would you handle a dishonest co-worker?   Answer Question

Recovery/Seasonal Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in December 2013.

Interview Details – Had to apply and take a very long test online before anyone contacted me to set up the interview. What did help was that my mom worked at another Macy's so I had a reference. When I got to my interview, I was a little early, but they took me in soon after arrival. It was a later interview, and the girl interviewing me seemed like she really wanted to get out of there. She said the spot that was open was for a different department than I had initially signed up for, but i took it anyway.

Interview Question – They were mostly about how I would handle the customers, even though the job was just to fold sweaters and scarves during the holidays.   View Answer

Retail Support Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email inviting me to an interview

Interview Question – situational questions, "what would u do in a situation...?"   Answer Question

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Online application and then your paperwork is sent through the selection process to a place in Florida. It takes about two weeks before they will send a email to request for you to sign up for an interview slot through an email link. If the email link shows no slots available then you must check that link everyday until one slot becomes available. The system is in real time so if someone cancels on that day you could take their spot.

There are 9 questions based on M.A.G.I.C. an acronym that reflects the selling behaviors you must have to sale at Macy's.
M - Meet and make a Connection: be willing to tell about experiences that you have been able to approach random/unknown people and create a connection with them through asking questions and then be able to create a sale or persuade them to do what you wanted them to do.
A - Ask questions and listen: be willing to demonstrate how you would ask OPEN ENDED questions throughout your selling journey to get the customer to open up and how you would be able to listen to what the customer is really saying in order to capture a sale. For example if a customer wanted pants you would ask about brand, color, style, length, and other details.
G - Give options and advice: be able to tell how your would go above and beyond to give more options to the customers. For example if the customer bought pants you would suggest a top or shoes.
I - Inspire to buy more: be able to tell about experiences that connect to how you could get the customers to come back by getting more info or building a relationship by taking the persons info and calling them on the next sale. And also suggesting other sales within the store.
C - Celebrate the purchase: be able to tell how you would get this person to feel good about the purchase they just made. For example by telling the customers "I think you just found the perfect item for your event come back and tell me how it went."

For each question answer with the structure of the situation, what you did, and how well it turned out.

Interview Question – The last two question vary for every person. Whatever the question answer in the middle never answer with a complete loyalty to one side. For example if they ask do you like detailed work or work that is broad... you give reasons for why both would be good. If they ask do you like to be given direction or have your own control...you answer with reasons why both would be good.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Walked in. Talked over my previous positions and what made me tick. After about 10 minutes, they offered me the position. It was all in all, a pretty comfortable interview without any real complications. I would suggest this sort of interview process over and over again. It really helps to boost an applicant's confidence and ego.

Interview Question – What was your toughest time selling something?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Manager had a bad attitude when she interviewed me. Very unprofessional. I then met with the store manager at the time. He was very nice and professional. He asked me about my goals, school, and why did I choose to apply with the company. The guys at the company are really friendly, some of the women........not so much.

Interview Question – Na   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Apply online, fill out questionnaire, receive a phone call for interview, attend interview, receive callback and job offer.

Interview Question – The Manager who interviewed me was very friendly and asked many questions about customer care and customer service.   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – One on one interview, then criminal background check.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed at work.   Answer Question

GIFT REGISTRY ADVISOR Interview

Eatontown, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed by the store manager, one on one. This was a preliminary interview. If interested, I would be called back for a second interview. The hours nor salary were discussed. Questions regarding computer literacy, how to handle co-worker relationships, why Macy's?, why gift registry position as opposed to sales? were asked. Very pleasant and short, about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Give examples of when you were required to meet a metric?   Answer Question

Executive Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Fairly easy interview process. Met with HR at college campus and 3 buyer/planners on site. Also took a simple retail math test.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question