Macy's

2,546 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Support Manager Interview

Support Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – 7 easy questions that any retailer would ask you.
You will be interview by whatever manager is available, no matter if you will report to them or not. It's a very easy process. Don't sike yourself out.
What made you apply for Macy's?
Tell me about a time when someone wasn't completing their share of the workload?

Interview Question – None of the questions are difficult at all. You just have to know how to answer them.   Answer Question

Receiving Associate Interview

Receiving Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Interview Details – i filled the application form online , after 3 days i got a call regarding interview on the phone , they asked me several questions which were easy to answer :)

Interview Question – why do u like to work here?
if u saw someone is stilling what would you do?
do you have any experience regarding sales?
  Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied and received an email a few days later asking to set up an interview. It took a while for an appt time to be posted, which was about a week later. The interview was straight forward. They asked questions about my previous experience in retail. I got the job on the spot.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions was "How did I respond to seeing some stealing?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email the next day telling me to schedule an interview. It took a few days for any interview appointments to become available but finally one opened up. The interview was very quick and easy. The interviewer was friendly which put me at ease. He asked me a total of 5 questions with some chit chat in between. After "seeing what openings they had", I was offered a position.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 2 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told I would be making $9.20/hour.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – It took 2 weeks. I submitted my resume through a contact and they called me within 2-3 days. I was initially phone interviewed by the director, and then my final face to face interview was with the VP and HR Director.

Interview Question – They grilled me. My most difficult question was what is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Macy's is a very nice clean store where they assist you kindly and straight to the point.
Very comfortable place and very friendly. But all of that can mislead you to over confidence that you got the job. They make it seem like you're right and are a right candidate but then decline so so positive but don't over think it.

Interview Question – If a customer only wants to buy lipstick how would you get them to buy something other then that?   Answer Question

Seasonal Stock/Support Interview

Seasonal Stock/Support

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, took about three weeks to get a email back asking for an interview, asked about a time when I had a difficult or unsupportive team member, a time when I saw someone cheating or stealing, why did I apply to Macy's, when I dealt with an angry customer etc very situational type of questions

Interview Question – What did I believe was the most important thing to be successful in retail?   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Part-Time Sales Associate
Flint, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in August 2010.

Interview Details – Was a fairly quick and smooth process, they asked very basic questions about personal characteristics & scenario situations, it was nothing to be nervous about. Received a phone call back fairly quickly and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult work situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered a better position somewhere else with a higher pay and flexibility with hours.

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Administrative Support Team Member

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – Overall process was pretty long. A lot of people filled out for my position, but I showed up early and was energetic. I answered all questions to the best of my ability and made sure to leave a great impression. The person that interviewed me did let me know that she had 30 more interviews to do and she would get back to me via email or phone. (Emails not good, phone call good.) I did receive a phone call 2 weeks later for a phone call with human resources and was told I would receive a by the end of the week if I got the job or not and I did. I was asked to come asap to get my background check started and would be getting started as soon as it came back.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations was easy. I was told what the position offer and stayed in the bracket that I felt comfortable with.

Very Easy Interview

Retail Support Associate Interview

Retail Support Associate
Eau Claire, WI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and interviewed in the store. HR was "impressed" that I showed up early for my appointment. I interviewed with the manager of the support department. Basic, simple questions with no surprises. The only surprise was that the manager lowballed the wage offer from 9.50/hr as I was lead to believe down to 8-8.50/hr. About three hours after the interview HR called me to offer the job, but lowballed me again with an offer of 7.50/hr and I contested that I was lead to believe it would be higher. HR then offered about 8.15/hr and said she would speak with the manager and he would call me back. He never called me back for a whole week, so I called HR. HR said "Oh that's strange, I'll have him call you first thing on Monday when he's back." Monday...Tuesday...Wednesday...no call back.
I guess the moral of the story is don't try to negotiate with them or you won't get the job.

Interview Question – The only trick here is not to negotiate your starting wage. Apparently they have plenty of college students/retirees willing to work for pennies on your dollar.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They lowballed me with the starting wage.