Macy's

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

The process starts in store or online. One can apply online or head to the stores executive office to apply through a computer station. Once the application is submitted and is chosen for an interview the individual will be met by a manger or two, along with an HR supervisor. It helps to dress up after all this is an upscale department store unlike a marshalls/kohls. After the interview process if the person is chosen for a position they will undergo a mandatory 1-2 day computer/register training whether they are returning or starting a new. After which they are placed on the floor within a designated area and proceed to create moments, open up star rewards, and build sales.

Interview Questions
    • Prior examples of conflict resolution with customers/ co-workers/ managers.

Good/bad qualities about yourself.
        Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. I had come from the suburbs and the offered salary was substantially higher than my prior retail job so there was no reason to bargain on my end.

Macy's Seasonal Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, RI

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online for the position and the next day I received an email to schedule my interview. When I got to Macys, I was interviewed by HR and was asked a standard set of questions that Macys suggested to ask.

However, after the interview was over HR told me I was hired and that she wanted to let the Cosmetics manager know that she wanted to hire me. When HR got back to the interview, she told me there was no longer a position in cosmetic sales and that the only position was either Women's Fragrances or Men's Fragrances. Since I thought the job was commissioned based, I chose Women's Fragrances. However, I was told afterwards that the position was not commissioned based and was minimum wage. At this point, I am waiting to hear back from other employers.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Macy's was set on only paying minimum wage.

Seasonal Retail Stock Merchandising Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied online and the next day I received an email saying that I could schedule an interview appointment online. At first when I went to the website to schedule an appointment, there were no available times. I checked again the next morning and was able to schedule an appointment two weeks away.

Macy's Interviewer/Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I originally applied for a seasonal / part time Administrative Support Team Associate (AST) position on the Macy's website. Received an invite via email to schedule an interview. I was contacted the day prior to the scheduled date to reschedule because the hiring manager decided to "take a day off". The AST supervisor interviewed me. She greeted me, entered her office, she sat down and asked me Why are you here? I responded with, I applied fora position on your website which match my years of experience and would like to be considered for the position. (I handed her a copy of my resume) She asked well, what position is that? (Seemed as if she did NOT review my application prior to interviewing me. I stated the position and her response was, Oh well I just offered that position to someone today and they accepted the offer but what I am interviewing for is the Interviewer position. She glanced at my resume and said you would be a great candidate. I asked the details of the position, she really could not answer my question because she was not knowledgeable of the position. She said, well you would be conducting our seasonal hires and help everyone in the office with duties of clerical work. Interview lasted maybe 10 min because of her lack of knowledge. I asked salary she said it would be more than $9.00 she will have to review my resume/application and she would give me a call. Before the end of the interview she asked If I would be interested in a sales position. I nicely said TO BE HONEST NO I WILL NOT, IF IT WERE MY INTEREST I WOULD HAVE APPLIED FOR A SALES POSITION. I received a call next day she offered $12/hr I accepted.I scheduled for training.Training involves videos/reading and she included register training (pos) she said Your not a cashier its "just in case" we need to go on the floor because everyone in the office gets on a register if needed. (I felt she was being dishonest but didn't want to quickly assume) After 2 days of training but had to schedule again due to their server being down. I called for a schedule she didn't have one for me (very UNORGANIZED) A couple of days later I went in I saw her and asked her for a schedule she said she couldn't give me one at that moment because she had to get a budget to figure out what she could schedule (Before I accepted the offer @ $12/hr I asked her how many hrs would the position offer me she specifically said 20hrs) Then she went onto quickly transitioning into saying well the interviewer position would only last 4wks so we are going to put you on the sales floor you wouldn't be doing anything in the office...oh wow look at the time I must go. I quickly asked well would the salary change? She answered I'm not sure Ill look into it. I was disgusted as she rushed out, I completed my training then at the end I approached the secretary with my honesty and disgust with the supervisors actions and deceiving practice. I emailed the AST supervisor my letter of resignation.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you here? - she was so unprofessional and unprepared she didn't ask me the correct questions. They are suppose to use an interview guide. Usually the guide includes questions which if you see them writing they are commenting on your response. The paper they follow includes a comment section and focuses on three areas situation-how you explain a situation. Behavior- the way you explain how you or customers reacted or did in the situation explaining the behavior. The Result- how you explain outcome of the situation. I see it is optional because this was not used as it is suppose to be mandatory.   Answer Question
    Some positions are set salary no neg. Unless they really want you they have to discuss with HR

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online and got an email a few days later about picking an interview time. This was actually my second time going through the interview process for the same position. When I went through it before (2 years ago) the questions were very similar to what others have said. They read off a script of questions depending on which position you are being interviewed for. At that time I had applied for a support position but thought I had applied for a sales position because I didn't really know the difference between support and sales. So she read questions off a script for support, but I had prepared for the sales questions. Luckily they were pretty similar and the ones I hadn't prepared for were still pretty easy to answer. However, she said she thought I would be good at sales so she added a few questions from the sales script. This time around however it was pretty different. I don't know if it's because I had worked there before or if they changed their system or because I had someone new interview me. Either way, the questions were not really what I had expected since I was expecting what I had gone through before, but this time the questions were actually much much easier. The interviewers both times were very very friendly and quickly put me at ease. It started out with just some small talk and then telling me to introduce myself a bit. Then they ask the standard why Macy's, etc. The basic thing to keep in mind is they are a company about teamwork, putting the customer first and making them feel special (communications), and integrity. So when they ask you questions try and steer your answers towards addressing one of those ideals.

Interview Questions
    • 2 years ago:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)She showed me a picture of some jeans and asked me how I would go about trying to upsale this item.
      3)How would you sell our store rewards card?
      4)Tell me a time when you needed to get something done but things didn't go according to plan or you ran into some difficulty.
      5)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something they shouldn't and what did you do? How did it turn out?

Most recent:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)Tell me a time when you helped out a coworker, family member, or friend with some trouble they were having.
      3)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something bad or inappropriate.
      4)How is my schedule?
        View Answer
    No negotiation. As a holiday hire you have no room for bargaining.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I knew someone who worked for Macy's at the time who recommended I apply online. The application was very lengthy. I received an invitation for an interview right away despite having no previous job experience (I was only 18). I met with a general sales manager who interviewed me for about ten minutes, asked very basic interview questions and offered me the job on the spot. I started within two weeks after some basic online training.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very basic, such as about my background, what types of situations I'd been in, how I felt about customer service, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

I went to NYC for the second-round on-site interview and it was very overwhelming but they structured it in a way that eased you into the company and into the interview. Nothing was too difficult, but it was just an exhausting day.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview proces was very quick and easy took about 15 min. The hiring manager came in she looked drained and a bit tired. I wooed her and I was hired on the spot! I saw several people before me get turned down. But I was confident and answered the questions to the best of my ability.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to take risks or do you like stability? How comfortable are you with change?   Answer Question
    $9.00 an hr

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's.

Took 4 months to get hired. Had to complete personality test and math/english assessment online before being selected for phone screen. Had a phone screen and three phone interviews before on site interview. Very comprehensive process.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral in nature. Some stress questions. "What's my leadership style?"   View Answer
    Did not negotiate because offer was solid.

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online in late October. Got an email the same day saying I would be getting a call soon. I waited and got a bit discouraged until I got a call in early November for a phone interview. Call was a little over 15 minutes and the questions were pretty easy. Was offered a position on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • The only difficult one I can think of was along the lines of what I would do if I caught someone doing something bad (at work, school, etc)   Answer Question