Macy's Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
2,566 interviews

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Very simple and easy process when applying. Easy and simple questions if you have some semblance of common sense and retail experience. Hiring occurs everyday of every week so its easy to get in if you qualify. Dress for the position and wear the uniform. Very intelligent and honest human resourcesm representatives.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied online I don't know when. Received an email to schedule interview online. Scheduled it for Saturday at 11AM. Arrived 30 minutes early. Waited an hour to be interviewed. They had specific interviewers assigned to specific people. My interviewer was late. 1 on 1 interview with a supervisor then another interview with a manager. Hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to help someone personally.

All other questions were pretty simple and based on selling, teamwork, customer interaction (most important).
        View Answer
    No negotiation. $8.25 starting pay

Merchandising/Stock Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online about 2 weeks ago, and few days after I applied I was emailed to schedule my appointment, but unfortunate for me the earliest I could get was about a week and a half later. Anyway I did my research, I personally decided to wear all black( slacks, black button up, and the darkest shade of brown boots).

I arrived about 15min early, greeted everyone in sight and sat down waiting. Fast forward to the actual interview, my interview was quite pleasant. The department manager was very understanding that this would be my very first official job(even though i've done tons of voluntary work over the past several years). He also explained to me there were 3 type of positions involved in this particular department, which were merchandising/stocking(replenishment), processing( loading and unloading trucks), and pricing(price tagging,etc). I made it clear to him I was interested in the merchandising/stocking position, after a few more questions and scenarios, he said he would like to hire me. I start orientation/training next monday, I'll be more than happy to provide that experience as well if this review is received well.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me a time where you had to switch tasks in a quick manner.   View Answer
    • If you saw an employee doing something wrong, what would you do?   View Answer
    After our conversation, and his series of questions, he offered me the job. He was very considerate into making sure i was interested in the position, and I happily accepted. Also he mentioned that there will be paid training, but minimum wage(in Chicago, thats $8.25), and after training I would be making $8.50 an hour.

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in December 2013.

First received and email asking to set up and initial phone interview. Once phone interview completed had face to face interview. interview process is the same as other jobs . Except they do ask a lot of questions relating to theft and how you feel about situations.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you caught someone stealing?   View Answer
    no negotiation just accept base or not.

Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied online on Macy's site, received an interview via email in a week. When you check your email you have to schedule an appointment, I chose the day after the next. I think that's the reason why I wasn't prepared. Either way, I tried my best to study the questions and did my best. The interviewer was sweet even thought I knew I hesitated and spoke unclear. The job was a loss but that was on my part, either way the interview wasn't so bad.

Interview Questions
    • Why Macy's?

What do you know about the position you are applying for?

Situation questions like "What do you do when someone has done something unlawful," or "name a situation..." etc.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

The people at the front desk were very cold and ignored me so I had to be pushy to let them know I was here and ask what they wanted me to do. Then after a long time of waiting and other people interviewing I was pulled to the back and asked about my availability and what it meant to work for them. I was asked what customer service means to me. I was asked if I had ready transportation every day and how I'd engage a customer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what customer service is to you   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate it was my first job

Receiving Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

i filled the application form online , after 3 days i got a call regarding interview on the phone , they asked me several questions which were easy to answer :)

Interview Questions
    • why do u like to work here?
      if u saw someone is stilling what would you do?
      do you have any experience regarding sales?
        Answer Question

Bops Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

I work there already and wanted to switch positions so i ask my manger and told what kind of job i really wanted. She referred me to the BOPS. She called the other manger and i have the interview the next day and it was simple questions and i was hired on the spot and i filled out transfer papers and started in a coupe of days.

maybe

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Interview process was pretty straightforward. I met with an HR Representative as well as a Product Manager, which was helpful (in my opinion). There are the standard questions i.e. Why do you want to work for Macy's etc. but there were also a slew of behavioral questions. My advice to those who plan to interview for this program: practice answering questions relating to real life/ work scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were able to persuade someone to see your point of view.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Sign on Bonus.

Support Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

7 easy questions that any retailer would ask you.
    You will be interview by whatever manager is available, no matter if you will report to them or not. It's a very easy process. Don't sike yourself out.
    What made you apply for Macy's?
    Tell me about a time when someone wasn't completing their share of the workload?

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult at all. You just have to know how to answer them.   Answer Question