Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
2,621 Interview Reviews

2.3

Merchandise Team Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

The interview was easy. It was more of a BS session with the hiring manager. We talked about our kids for a long time, and then she asked me the usual questions asked at an interview for a remedial job (best strenght, biggest weakness, example of a time you assisted a customer, example of a time you had to use time management skills).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to choose one priority over another.   View Answer
    I made it clear that I was disappointed that she wanted to start me out at minimum wage, but I still accepted the job because it seemed non-negotiable. 15 minutes after I left the interview, my interviewer called me and said that she could pay me $1 more an hour. (This might not be usual because I really aced the interview)

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I had one interview, I got to chose the date and the time. I chose 9 o'clock in the morning. The questions were pretty basic: How would you sell the Macy's Credit Card? How do you handle bad customers? Real basic and easy, nothing hard hitting. I got hired that same day.

Interview Questions
    • There were no curve balls; they were all very easy questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation, you get paid 7.25 during training and 8.15 when you hit the floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied for a part time position on the macy'sjobs website. I received a response to schedule an interview two days later. I scheduled the interview for two days later. I went on time and there was no else there at HR except the administrative assistant. I let her know I was there for my interview and she paged one of the managers to let them know I was there. I didn't have to wait long. The manager came and introduced herself and then took me to a room to interview me. I just wanted to get the interview done with. I knew what questions would be asked because I looked it up before my interview and was prepared. The interview went by fast. She offered me 2 part time positions to choose from. I picked one. It was all in one department. Then the administrative assistant gave me a new hire paper to fill out with my info like social and phone number & address. She said she would call to schedule me for orientation and training within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Only because you never know what to say to that question. Everything else is standard and simple. Like why Macy's, how would you celebrate a purchase, different scenarios with customers, what would you do if you saw an employee doing something unethical etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Start at $8/hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newington, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newington, NH

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

I saw a job fair in the mall and applied and was scheduled for an interview with the manager of the department I was inquiring to work in for the holiday season.

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

A ton of "Tell me about a time when..." questions, as is typical with Macy's. They ask every candidate the exact same questions, so make sure to give unique, personal answers. He had very difficult follow-ups to every question. I answered a question with "I never sacrifice accuracy for speed" and he asked "what if I needed you to get something done fast?"

LP Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

Applied online for the Loss Prevention Detective opening. Received notice 3 days later via email to schedule a phone interview and immediately did so.

All communication and scheduling is done automatically through their job portal website and email until the scheduled phone interview.

Interviewer called slightly early, but immediately hung up after 1 ring. I called back immediately and the interviewer didn't identify themselves until I stated my name. Caller ID did not show the number was from Macy's.

Interview Questions
    • Very first question asked from interviewer was if I would accept a given salary range, which was well below the standard rate.   View Answer

Shipping and Receiving Interview

Applied online and waited about 2 weeks and received an email to scedual an interview just like everyone else got there a little early but the interviewer was caring and understood. The interview went well I felt pretty confident with my answers but I won't know till they call me back. Now I'm about to write a thank you note to send to the interviewer to increase my chances of the job.

To anyone applying to Macy's just remember to send a personalized thank you card at the end of the interview it greatly increases your chances of getting the positio

Interview Questions
    • what brings you to macy's   Answer Question
    • what would you do if you saw a coworker doing something wrong   Answer Question
    • give me an example of a time you had to work on a project and had a short amount of time to complete it   Answer Question
    • give me an example of a time you had to work in a team what role did you play.   Answer Question

Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Pretty much I filled out an online application then the next day I got e-mail saying that they want to schedule a interview with me and what I like about when it came to scheduling the interview is that it was done online so I was able to pick the best day and time that worked for me

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and immediately the next morning received an invitation to interview. Interviewed for close to an hour and a half, went very well and the interviewer said he would be recommending me to go on in the process. He stepped out to check availability of when the Sales Mgr would be back in to meet for a next interview. When he came back in he seemed legitimately confused and embarrassed to tell me he was told the position was already earmarked for another candidate. It was awkward and clearly an internal miscommunication. He was going to pass my resume and interview results on to other departments for consideration of other positions. I left still feeling positive despite the situation, however in receiving no further communication after close to a month, will probably not pursue other positions in the future. Disappointed, I've held Macy's in high regard for many years and intentionally sought them out over any other company to consider returning back to the retail management industry.

Interview Questions
    • Basic managerial questions: describe a time I turned a negative employee experience into a positive.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's.

HR contacted me to set up an interview about a week after applying online. The interview was pretty straightforward. The interviewer asked questions off a list. So the questions were pretty standard stuff that you would here anywhere else. ex. Why work at macys? Strengths and weaknesses?, Describe a time where you had to use teamwork to solve a problem? ....

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but quite a few situational questions, so be prepared with your examples that show your teamwork, leadership, problem-solving skills, etc...   Answer Question
    no negotiation