Macy's

Getting the Interview

2,180 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Notified by HR Manager that there was a position available at another store and asked if I wanted to be interviewed. Yes. Met with Store Manager, who was pleasant, energetic and totally focused while listening for key language used in Macy's culture. While VPSM asked tough questions, I was prepared with thoughtful and relevant answers. The interview lasted 1 1/2 hours, 1/2 hour past what we were allotted time for. I was offered the position for $30k. I said I was interested and asked for a better salary based on my experience in retail as well as other relevant experience and current performance. VPSM didn't think a higher salary was unreasonable, but didn't think it would go quite as high as I wanted. When VPSM got back to me, it was explained that they based their pay scale for promotions on a set scale, but they'd already bumped me up 12% higher than that as an exception due to my qualifications. Made me think they did have more room for discretion. I accepted anyway as my goal was to get managerial training that I could transfer to whatever career path I chose down the road.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult or unexpected to me.   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Being hired from a college career fair I went through one interview on my college campus. I was passed on to the second round where Macy's flew students out to on site interviews that lasted two days and included four interviews that were a mix between group exercises and one on one interviews.

Interview Question – Macy's has you take assessments and chooses questions that you may have been on the fence with to interview you on. You are made to choose one extreme or the other in order to finish one of interviews.   Answer Question

Bronx, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied one day and got an email to schedule an interview the next day. I had about a 15 min interview. I searched all this questions practicing answers but the questions were simple. she told me she would call me next day and she didn't and I got nervous I even called and they told ne she would call me and I lost hope but she called 5 days later and set my training for the next day.

Interview Question – basically about selling the credit cards   View Answer

Executive Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Fairly easy interview process. Met with HR at college campus and 3 buyer/planners on site. Also took a simple retail math test.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

EDP Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – 3 step interview process. First are standard questions, why Macys? Second is behavioral type questions: How do you handle a dynamic environment? Stressful situations? Customer Service? and Third interview included the role play

Interview Question – Role Play associate scorecard review, which associate would you choose to coach and what aspects of the scorecard would you coach to and why?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Bloomington, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process will consist of meeting the recruiters at a fair or panel discussion. From there they talk about the interview process. The process is based on behavioral questions and then there is another part that is based on a scenario that you have to solve the problem as if you were a sales manager. I believe they may give you a scorecard of several associates and you have to pick the one that you would coach to make better and be able to tell why.

Interview Question – There really werent any difficuly questions. I would say if you could have several examples of your behavioral questions then you will do fine   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email about a week later to schedule an interview. I went in extremely nervous, and the unfriendly interviewer didn't make me feel any more comfortable. She asked simple questions off of a sheet of paper: Why did you apply to Macy's? What would you do if you saw someone stealing? How would you make the customer feel good about their purchase? How would you sell someone a Macy's card? The questions themselves weren't difficult, but the interviewer had made up her mind halfway through that she wasn't going to hire me and it showed, so it was a stressful experience.

Interview Question – How would you adapt to changes in the workplace?   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – You fill out the application online and depending if you qualify for the job, you will receive an email requesting an interview. You pick out your interview day and time. When you go to your interview, you have to go to the Human Resources office located in Macy's check in. I waited for about 3-5 mins for my interviewer to come.

When she did arrive, she introduced herself to me and when went into her office. She was mean and rude and looked like she didn't even want to be there. She told me to tell me a bit about myself to her, she then asked me what availability was and she went day by day. When I said that I was available opening, she cut me a look and said "I need an exact time" so I provided her with one then (9am). She asked me why I chose to apply to Macy's. After those 3 questions, she told me that I didn't fit her requirements and that was it. The whole interview only lasted 5mins.

I wish I had someone a lot nicer to interview me.

Interview Question – Why did you choose to apply to Macy's?   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – I attended an interview session on campus, which really got me interested in this program. I had been selected by an HR manager to get a one on one interview on campus, which also went very well. After doing well on this interview, I was invited to a super day in NYC. Throughout this interview process I had do undergo several online assessments that took a significant amount of time. During the super day, you learned even more about the program and were interviewed by two different employees. The day also included a timed individual case study and a team case study to test your leadership and critical thinking abilities.

Interview Question – After using information from the assessments I took online, they determined questions to ask like: are you more comfortable in a fast paced or slow paced environment?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Interview was the normal questions, e.g. Why would you like to work for Macy's? What would be a weakness of yours?

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you witnessed something that was not right in the workplace.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's