Macy's Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
2,559 interviews

2.3

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Overall process was pretty long. A lot of people filled out for my position, but I showed up early and was energetic. I answered all questions to the best of my ability and made sure to leave a great impression. The person that interviewed me did let me know that she had 30 more interviews to do and she would get back to me via email or phone. (Emails not good, phone call good.) I did receive a phone call 2 weeks later for a phone call with human resources and was told I would receive a by the end of the week if I got the job or not and I did. I was asked to come asap to get my background check started and would be getting started as soon as it came back.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    Negotiations was easy. I was told what the position offer and stayed in the bracket that I felt comfortable with.

Anonymous Employee  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and interviewed in the store. HR was "impressed" that I showed up early for my appointment. I interviewed with the manager of the support department. Basic, simple questions with no surprises. The only surprise was that the manager lowballed the wage offer from 9.50/hr as I was lead to believe down to 8-8.50/hr. About three hours after the interview HR called me to offer the job, but lowballed me again with an offer of 7.50/hr and I contested that I was lead to believe it would be higher. HR then offered about 8.15/hr and said she would speak with the manager and he would call me back. He never called me back for a whole week, so I called HR. HR said "Oh that's strange, I'll have him call you first thing on Monday when he's back." Monday...Tuesday...Wednesday...no call back.
    I guess the moral of the story is don't try to negotiate with them or you won't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The only trick here is not to negotiate your starting wage. Apparently they have plenty of college students/retirees willing to work for pennies on your dollar.   Answer Question

They lowballed me with the starting wage.

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online for this position in July 2014 three weeks later I got an email inviting me to schedule an interview on their website. Scheduled the interview for 2 days later went in and let me say I don't know if it was a stress test or what but the administrative support supervisor came across as no nonsense. She jumped straight in started asking questions right off the bat I don't know think she even knew my name other than me introducing myself after her brash attitude at the door asked me Can I help you? I don't think she even knew what position I even applied for or even had my resume. Which I brought along but she was so to the point after entering her office I didn't even bother to offer her a copy. I was turned off immediately.

Interview Questions
    • She asked nothing that had to do with the position which in my opinion should have been focused on office skills. Nevertheless she asked name a time when you received exceptional service? why did you apply to Macys? tell me a time you worked as a team what was your role and what was the outcome? name a time you went above and beyond for a customer? Standard stuff not personal whatsoever she asked availability/saying we work sometimes 72 hours+ sometimes which I knew didn't relate to my position because it was a PT position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online, received the email to schedule my interview the next day. I didn't schedule my interview until a week or two after I received the email. I went in 20 minutes early dressed very professional. I heard multiple interviews going on at the time I got there. One manager came out to get me. The interview was relatively short and I was hired on the spot! I was surprised by how fast and easy it was.

Interview Questions
    • This interview was the easiest I have ever had. There was nothing that I did not expect. It was very easy.   Answer Question

I declined because I am a college student. As a support retail associate, I would need to go in very early and that will not work out for me since I would need to go to school right after.

Seasonal Merchandiser/Stock Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. Got emailed about two weeks later to schedule an interview online to come in for an in-person interview. Went in about a week after for the interview. My interview went very smoothly. Read off of the sheet of interview questions then went through what was to be expected of the job. She was very nice. At the end, she asked if I had any concerns or questions and I asked about some questions I had. Then she offered me the job and asked me to fill out the needed paperwork right there and said the background check would take 7-10 days and then I would be called back in to finish the paperwork and then orientation would be later and then I would get started.

Interview Questions
    • Our company is based on integrity. Name a time where you were put in a situation where you saw a friend, coworker, boss or stranger doing something wrong and you confronted them and what did they do when you confronted them?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for this company and why did you choose this position?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $9.00 / hr for both training and working.

Assistant Merchant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Applied and got a phone call a few days later. A phone interview was conducted and I was called back within 3 days for a face to face. Went to a 3 hour interview and met with several people and also took a test.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were basic. Name something your resume does not say about you.   Answer Question

Retail Support Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Meriden, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Meriden, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied got and email a day later to come in for an interview. I scheduled the interview and came in.. Mind you I come dressed in a tie and have 3 years management experience at Sears. So much for being a classy store, the guy who interviewed me was in a polo shirt. He told me the position was filled but there was a position opened for 1 day a week unloading trucks... Is that a slap in the face or what?

Because I was offered 4 hours a week

Seasonal Stock Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied online it was really easy. Few days later they email saying you can set up interview. They asked about 4-5 questions. The interview was fast I was there 20 minutes early probably overdressed. The person didn't seem like they cared to do the interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions just why Macy's, tell them about a time you saw something dishonest, they ask about a time a team member didn't pull their weight.   Answer Question

Retail Support Associate Interview

Came in for a 11:00 interview, wasn't interviewed until 11:45. Another manager from a different store gave me an interview. Questions were pretty straight forward. I got hired on the spot and i accepted. I start training in the next couple of days. The best part is i'm getting started with 9.50 an hour.

Didn't have to negotiate, everything was pretty much acceptable.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online. It took a few weeks for them to call after applying. I did two interviews before being told I was getting the job. Unfortunately I didn't get added to the schedule until a month later.

Interview Questions
    • It was a while ago i interviewed. I dont remember the specific questions. I would say average interview questions. Also, the interviewer read small paragraph scenarios and asked how I would go about handling those situations.   Answer Question