Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
2,726 Interview Reviews

2.3

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online on Sunday, and received an interview invite the following day. I scheduled my interview for the next day at 4:30PM. I arrived about 15-20 mins early and waited in the lobby. My interviewer was very warm welcoming and friendly. He asked about 5 questions and my availability. He gave me the run down of the different positions and offered me a position. I enjoyed the process, and I was prepared thanks to Glassdoor interview reviews for this company.

Interview Questions
    • All easy questions. Why Macys? What did you do to work as a team? How did you adjust and respond due to consent change? etc   Answer Question

Support Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Submitted online application. Received an email that asked me to interview in person within a week. Mostly behavioral questions that dealt with handling customers. The interview wasn't exactly formal, but it was straightforward (meaning it was less conversational than perhaps people are used to). All of the questions asked were very standard. I interviewed with my direct supervisor, and she was courteous and genuinely interested in my answers. Was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in sales? Do you have experience handling customers?   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Very quick response after application was submitted. Accommodating of times available to interview and takes about 30-60 minutes, one-on-one. If you get the job, they tell you salary right at the get go and will get you to training as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • If you had customers at the register, overflow of clothing in the fitting rooms and new customers just coming in to browse, how would approach this in such a way to deal with everyone?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

The whole process took about a week. I applied online and received an email the following week that i was invited to an interview. While I was waiting everyone was very nice and helpful. The interview took about 15 minutes and was mostly scenario questions. Turns out while I was looking for a permanent part-time position they were only hiring seasonal at the time, which kind of made me feel like I had wasted my time, but the guy who interviewed me said that once they started hiring for permanent positions again i would be considered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to help a friend with an unfamiliar problem. What was the result?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online, got an email about a week later to set up an interview. The interview was not very difficult, my interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. Many of the interview questions were situational, such as, "How would you deal with a difficult customer?", and "How would you go about selling a Macy's card?". Overall, the interview was not very difficult. However I did not get the job because my availability did not work for them.

Interview Questions
    • After you have made a successful sale, how would you go about getting a customer to come back?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

It was very simple. I applied online and got an email within the next few days to schedule for an interview. I went in and they just asked me the basic interview question like "Why this store" and how you would try to up sell. The interviewer was very professional but made me feel comfortable. They offered a pay and it was exactly what I was looking for then I filled out a paper then scheduled for training.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplaying, the interviewer a customer and I a retail associate.   Answer Question

Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Applied online and got an invite to an interview two days later. Had a 1:1 interview. The associate was very kind and talkative, in the fashion of most Macy's associates. Aside from the question about group activities, none of them were unexpected or difficult. Was asked to confirm availability, but I applied to a position that doesn't require 24/7/365 availability.

This particular location told me to wait 24-48 hrs for a yes or no response. The interview was 15 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • What group activities did your team excel in, and what steps did you take to excel?   View Answer

Seasonal Support Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online - got an email to schedule myself an interview the following week.
    Had the interview with the support manager, she was very nice.
    She asked me a very few questions like "tell me about a time when..."
    They're really easy to answer if you have experience with any job.
    The interview only took about 15 minutes.
    I got the job on the spot & I had to send my background check.
    The background was what took the longest, about a week and a half. (but don't hesitate to call and check up on it after a week)
    two days of orientation (6 hrs. of videos all together)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but one was "Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer"   View Answer
    No negotiation - minimum wage

Part-Time Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I filled an online application and was notified in a week to schedule an appointment. I reached on time, dressed trendy-chic, met with a nice young woman who interviewed me. The questions were very basic interview Q's. I had prepared for the interview and answered appropriately. I have a design background and the job felt very appropriate and in line with my skills. I provided the lady a copy of my Resume' and also showed her my related design portfolio - Everything went well and the intvw lasted 15 mins. I shook hands and was told to expect an e-mail in 1-1.5 weeks. However the following morning i received an e-mail declining my candidacy. I don't know what went wrong.

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Did the application online and they responded by email 2 days later. I scheduled an interview for the following week. (Wear all black if you can) That's the company's dress code. The interview went fairly quick. Most of the questions consisted of "Tell me about a time..."

Pay could not compete with my last position.