Macy's Interview Questions

2.3

Store Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

The interview process consisted of two interviews, and an onsite group session. The first two were held back to back, and one was a standard behavioral interview while the other was a case activity that you analyzed. They give you a few employee scorecards, and you pick which employee you would mentor and why. I didn't attend the onsite.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

The interview process took me about an hour and a half to complete. Including the questionnaire that goes with it. The interview went really well. My interviewer was very professional, she was not the makeup manager hiring, she read questions out of a packet and wrote down my answers. The questions were basic retail questions. She let me know that she was going to pass on my information to the makeup manager, so I should expect another call for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell someone a Macy's card?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable applying products on a person's hand/face?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you worked under pressure and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time that you and a team got together to accomplish the same end goal and what your role in that was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

I applied online and was contacted to vome in for an interview. I have no experience in retail and I am in high school so I'd only be able to work in the evenings on weekdays and I'm free all day on weekends. I was basically told I'm good for retail but my availability makes it difficult for me to work in retail. I was told that they attempt to place me in the "Support" department.

Interview Questions
    • Many scenarios were being asked. "How would you meet your sales goal for that day", "what would you do if you saw an coworking doing something unethical", "how would you get someone to sell something they can afford" and "how would you ask someone to open a Macy's card."   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

Applied online and got asked to schedule an interview the next day. Scheduled and went to the interview. The people in the executive offices were interviewing others as well and switched off on who sees what applicant. I got asked about a dozen questions by my interviewer and only got offered a part time with only 3-8 hours guaranteed each week in the men's department.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

Applied on a Saturday, interview picked online the next Monday (which was great). You went to the third floor and met with the person promptly. She asked me about 10-15 questions/scenarios. I said a lot of ums and uhh because I was so nervous and had to think of my past experience from my internship, college, and even high school. They were doing a hiring friendzy so she asked what I wanted and said she'll be back to see if anything is available. I applied for Sales Associate but received the Meal & Break position which worked better for me and her. Got the job Monday, training this same week.
    Super friendly atmosphere!

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a credit card used for their store?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever saw some stealing? What would you do or what have you done?   Answer Question
    • Why Macys?   Answer Question
    • Scenario about you and co-workers accomplishing the same goal, would did you do? What challenges did you face?   Answer Question

Merchant Buying/Planning Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

Applied through my University. The interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews back to back. Behavioral based questions. Pretty easy and laid back. They said that they would get back to me in roughly a week and they did.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about your resume. Time when you helped improve something. Tell me about yourself. They really asked a lot based on your resume. Make sure to have questions for them.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

The first round of interviews consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. One of them was a basic behavioral interview and the second was a coaching exercise. Once I made it past the first round, I was flown out to the onsite location for the final round of interviews. On the first day, we had executives tell us more about the company and its strategy, we went on a store tour, and then ended the day with a nice dinner. The second day is when the interviewing happens. There are 4 interviews: 1 behavioral interview, 1 personalized interview based on your online assessment, 1 individual case study presentation, and 1 group presentation. If you make it to the second round, my advice is to be confident and be yourself. If you make it that far, they already think you're great so don't be nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you had to change other people's opinion and how you went about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

I applied online and two days later got an email to schedule an interview. I scheduled for a week later. There, I had to wait maybe ten minutes before I was called in and asked a series of questions, some of which were already on my application, but a lot of situational questions too. She was very friendly and was told they would contact me in a few days. All contact was by email. I did not recieve a job offer, possibly because I have no retail experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why Macy's?   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you with technology?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell a product and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • After helping a customer buy a pair of pants, how would you get her to return to shop at Macy's again?   Answer Question
    • How would you get someone to apply for a Macy's credit card?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

I applied a week before the date of my interview. The process was pretty smooth. I sat in a room with an interviewer and he asked me a lot of questions. He wrote my answers down on a piece of paper as I answered them.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

The process seemed very easy. Applied online, picked interview slot, and then interviewed. Very laid back and easygoing. Manager said that they were very flexible with scheduling which was a plus in my opinion. Also mentioned their credit card which is a must to know about because that's what you'll be pitching when you start working there.

Interview Questions
    • Was there ever a time you saw someone doing something they weren't suppose to? If you did, what did you do?   Answer Question