Macy's

Updated Mar 3, 2015
3,053 Interview Reviews

2.3

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

Had my first interview with the Macy's Head of Beauty and Cosmetics. she passed my details onto Clarins and I had a second interview with the Clarins Account Executive a few days later. Both interviews were very relaxed and it was a very friendly atmosphere, I felt very at ease in both interviews. I was offered the position at the end of the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about applying skincare,makeup to customers faces?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you worked as a team member and what your role was and the outcome.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied online on Sunday and was sent an email to schedule an interview on Tuesday. I interviewed on Thursday. Interview was conducted in a pleasant manner. Interviewer was a manager, but not the hiring manager. Interview started out with Why Macy's question, then Tell me about yourself. Interview lasted about 20 minutes. Interviewer was very nice and personable.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you using technology to help a customer?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Easy interview, waste of time. After her showing up a hour late, she interviewed me just to tell me all their spots were filled. Which pissed me off because I already had trouble getting there(car was acting up). Btw, Macy's has a reputation of conducting interviews just to tell you they're not hiring. Even when they have a big"Now hiring" sign. Not to scare anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel comfortable applying makeup?
      Name a time you had to think outside the box..
      Name a time you had to sell something, what was the outcome?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2015.

I applied for the position online at 11 a.m. And by 2 p.m they had emailed me back to schedule an interview online.. They told me I would hear from them to do my talent interview in a week or two. while I was at my interview the supervisor told another sales associate that he would interview her after lunch and go from there. So I felt like it was a waste of my time to even be there when they were promoting from within. I guess they just needed to do at least one interview from the outside I did hear back from them 3 weeks later, explaining I wasn't experienced enough for the job. I have my cosmetology license and worked for Dillards Estee Lauder counter for three years. they also told me that it only paid minimum wage which I know for a fact is a load of bull. Waste of my time

Interview Questions
    • explain a time something unexpected happened at work and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

You sit down with a hiring manager and you're asked about your experience within retail and also in the cosmetic field. Such as have you ever applied makeup to other people other than yourself. Are you quick on your feet? Can you handle work under pressure? And also can you handle multiple personalities? Once you are hired you are then put into a room where you will learn all of the following macys procedures.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when a customer asked what are the benefits of opening a Macy's card?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and within a few weeks, I had an interview set up. I went into their offices for the interview and was met a little awkwardly by someone who told me that I would have to wait for a little bit while the interviewer finished up with a meeting of some sort. I don't think it was this poor guy's job to handle people coming in for interviews, but he was kind of forced to do it since his desk was the closest to the front door. I think he would have rather wanted to be kept busy by whatever he was working on his computer screen then deal with the people coming in for possible seasonal work.

After the awkwardness had passed, I waited a little bit past my scheduled appointment time for the interviewer to finish up their meeting and was then invited into her office for my interview. The interviewer had a list of required questions that she had to ask, prepared as I sat down and settled myself. Some of these questions were your usual and cliche questions that everyone should have prepared, but others were about technology use that kind of threw me for a loop.

Macy's asked questions about how to operate portable devices like Ipads and the like. What made this even stranger is that the interviewer said that in New Mexico (the location of the Macy's I applied to), only management had the opportunity to use such devices.

After she asked her mandatory questions, I started to ask her my own questions. I personally like to know the internal workings of a business (I aspire to be an entrepreneur) and how leaders or managers lead or organize their duties and constituents, so my questions were encompassed around those topics, and I thought we had some nice, fairly casual conversations, where the interviewer was very open with company policy and her own experiences in the company.

At the closing of the interview, the interviewer said that she would "bench" my application, which is not a common thing that she did (so I assume that was a good thing), which was very uplifting, but in the end, nothing ever came from it.

Interview Questions
    • How well I can use technology like an Ipad, even though the associates at Macy's's in my state do not even have access to the specific technology that interviewer's were required to ask about.   Answer Question

Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Submitted online application with resume, cover letter, recommendations, and college transcripts. Received email about date for phone interview. Accepted interview. The interviewer first asked questions regarding to my resume and work/study history. The last part of the interview was a case study. Basically, determine possible solutions is a problem arose in the "business".

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Received an email and was asked to come in for an interview. Went in and spojke to the Hr manager then on the following day met with the Beauty manager we spoke briefly and got the job.

Loss Prevention Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Initial contact was via email. The first interview was with the District Director of Loss Prevention. The second was with the store manager. I only had the two interviews and received a job offer officially via email. There was no HR interview. My offer letter came directly from the District Director.

Interview Questions
    I stated my requirements prior to the official offer letter being sent to me. My salary and benefits were generous.

Store Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I met recruiter on campus then applied online. I spoke to the recruiter to really understand more about the entire internship. After two interviews, I got the position and waited on my packet.