Macy's

Updated Nov 25, 2014
2,865 Interview Reviews

2.3

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I was there about 20 minutes early, but in less than 5 I was called in for the interview. I was brought into a room with tables and chairs so while I was being interviewed so were others. It was straight forward and easy, especially because I reviewed the questions on Glassdoor which is what she asked. She was very friendly and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you had to use integrity, tell me about a time where you had to sell something to a stranger and how did you do it? As well as, tell me about yourself and why do you want to work at Macy's?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online. Got an email to schedule my appointment the next day. The process took about 4 days. Got there and answered about 5 questions. I didn't get the job because "the days I'm available were'nt good for them" ... but I honestly know I didn't do so good at the interview. It was my first official interview and I was a little nervous, avoided eye contact and didn't give the "perfect". The questions she asked me are below.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why did you choose Macy's?
      2) Tell me about a time your integrity was tested.
      3) Tell me how would you sell a product.
      4) If a customer wanted to buy a product right now but there is a better product coming out months from now, how would you persuade someone to buy the later product?
      5) How would you sell a Macy's Credit Card?
        View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate - Cosmetics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond Heights, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond Heights, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied online, got an email 3 days later to schedule an interview. The next day I had a very generic (well it IS retail) interview. She was very polite, but was not the department manager so she could not provide specifics, including pay and hours. She ended up calling someone, only to tell me the position is an "as-needed" position at $8.00 an hour. LOL......

Lack of pay, hours, and clarity overall. Yes it's only seasonal but I am a licensed make up artist just looking for extra holiday cash. Insulting me with high school pay was a waste of time.

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I found out about the program through an on-campus career fair. Then attended an information session on campus. I was contacted for a On-campus interview. It was two 30 min interviews. One was with an HR person, the other with a product manager from one of their stores. Later, I was invited to their on-site interview. It lasted all day, consisted of two 30 min interviews and 2 groups exercises. The 2nd group exercise consisted of us deciding what ad to feature on their holiday catalog and we had to present out decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself
      Would you describe yourself as a leader or follower
      Where do you see yourself in 10 years
        Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I received an email asking me to schedule 1 month after sending in an application, and I was scheduled, and ended up doing a group interview and was offered a job on the spot. I filled out all my paperwork the same day and am scheduled for orientation and training. It was a fairly relaxing interview, but the manager was distracted half the time. I thought we weren't going to get hired.

Interview Questions
    9.65 + commission, but I still have an interview with talent plus.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied online and received an email with a link to schedule an interview the next day. I showed up 15 min early and waited about a half hour before being taken back for my interview. They had mixed up my paperwork with another departments so I ended up waiting another 5 min for them to figure it out. I answered customer service questions that involved giving examples of past situations and experiences. The lady interviewing me seemed burnt out and told me I'd get an email. Got the email 2 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time that you organized a team of people and one of them had a bad attitude and would not contribute. What did you do?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied online at macysjobs.com An hour after I submitted my application I got an email to schedule an interview. I scheduled for the next day, showed up on time, waited about 15 minutes before I got to speak to HR manager. She was very nice and this put me at ease. First thing she wanted to know is whether I was available to work on their high sale days. She gave me a list of dates that mostly included Black Friday and the day before and after big holidays and I said I was cool with that. Then she proceeded with the generic set of interview questions starting with Why Macy's and ending with scenario questions. Everything went smooth and at the end I was asked which department I would prefer to work at. I was very lucky because my request matched their need and I was offered the job exactly where I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you and a coworker had to work together for a common goal and what did you do to achieve it?   Answer Question
    • How would you encourage the client to work with you again?   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online and received an email couple days maybe a week later saying that they will be calling soon to conduct a phone interview. Got a call 2 weeks later to set up an in person interview. So there was never actually a phone interview for me.
    I arrived few minutes early and couple minutes past my time went back with a lady. She was very nice and personable. I really enjoyed her. Asked me a few questions. Not many maybe 4 or 5. She really enjoyed my answers and I was hired at the end of the interview!!!
    Just be yourself and definitely prepare. That is what helped me with my questions. I looked over the reviews on glassdoor and came up with responses to practice majority of ones she asked I prepared for, it just may be worded differently. There was only 1 question that I wasn't ready for but it was easy to form a well response on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • (These may not be exact wording but the main idea)
      1. Why macys?
      2. Something about macys and technology like the app and macys online
      3. Dealing with integrity, a time you saw a coworker/classmate do something wrong what did you do.
      4. How would you go about helping a customer who's product/item we do not have. How would you sell them on something different. (something along those lines, basically like encouraging the customer not to leave empty handed)
        View Answer
    No negotiation, I accepted the pay, think its fine.

Seasonal Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Called back within about a week, was able to schedule an interview the same week. Asked a few simple questions such as your last job, responsibilities, have you ever been promoted... Went to orientation within a few days

Interview Questions
    • "Have you ever worked in a warehouse before?" - Question that made me worry with no experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Process took about half an hour. Interview lasted about fifteen minutes. The interview was easy, all the questions are here.The manager told me she would contact me by email since many people had applied for the job..