Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later I got an email from Macy's asking me to schedule my interview. When I went in for my interview I was greeted by a secretary in the executive office . My interview was conducted by one of the sales/department managers in a private office room.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you encountered a difficult or rude customer - how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The interview process was very organized and detailed. There was a lot of communication throughout the process which helped and made things easy. The employees were very helpful also.

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied to the Macy's Executive Development Program (internship) through my college. Interviewed with recruiters on campus. Interviewed with two employees separately, 30 minutes each.
Seems like they recruit more in the fall than they do in the spring.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with numbers?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downey, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email the next day inviting me for an interview it took me a week to get a time slot you have to schedule yourself had a 1 on 1 interview buy the human resources manager and it only took 25 min and I was told they were going to bench my application until another position becomes open !!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for macys?   Answer Question

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I came in for an interview for retail sales. It was short and to the point and fairly straightforward. I read up on all the questions on this website and went in very prepared. The only thing is that due to my past leadership experience, my interviewer set up an interview for me for another position instead, which I did not receive in part because I had no clue what it was. Overall the process ended up being quite confusing, but everyone I interacted with was professional and enjoyable to be around. Ultimately I found a position elsewhere, and I got some solid interview experience from Macy's.

Interview Question – There were no terribly unexpected questions. When I ended up interviewing to be a stylist of some sort for them they asked me what my favorite trend is right now which I was not prepared for. Whoops!   Answer Question

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

On-Call Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, was later contacted via email about scheduling an interview. Logged on and wasn't able to set up a time yet. It took about two days of constantly logging on to finally be able to set an appointment for an interview. Arrived 10 mins early, followed the directions given to me on the appointment reminder......only to find NO ONE was in the offices or at the front HR desk area. Finally it was about 4 mins before the interview that someone finally asked me what I was doing, and finally had someone page the manager who was suppose to interview me. Kinda unprofessional. Her excuse was that she was 'never in her office'..really? So how am I suppose to get in contact with you?? Red flag immediately popped up in my mind. Then the interview started in the office. Simple, routine questions...nothing too hard or difficult. Then I was informed that the position I applied for I actually wasn't qualified to get. And was asked if I would be interested in on-call or part-time positions in other departments. I said sure. So the interviewer said that my application will be kept for other positions, and to call back every week or so and check in. Basically a very nice way of saying they don't want to hire me. I left feeling like I wasted my time. Called back a few times since then and with no answer or reply back. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL!

Interview Question – How would you sell the Macy's credit card to a customer?   View Answer

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Cosmetics Sales Associate
Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applies online. Got interview appt 2 days later. Initial interview was fine. Nothing hard. Was told I was exactly what they were looking for and was excited to have me. At close of interview I asked when I would hear back. I was told next week sometime. By Friday of next week nothing. I called back. Another interview with counter executive for the following week "sometime" Tuesday following week executive called. Very rude. Said I would hear back by end of week from original interviewer. Never heard from either person. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – You do realize this is a very demanding and high pressure job?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Cosmetics Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online I received an email to scheduled an interview date online. The only time available was a week later. At the interview I was told that the position had been filled and asked me if I would be interested in another department which I wasn't interested in. She said she would bench my application to be considered for future openings.

Interview Question – How would you sell a customer on opening up a Macy's account?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to an open position posted online and received an email a day or so later inviting me to schedule an interview. I choose a day and time that worked for me and went into the executive offices to interview. It went very well and was set up to meet the head of the cosmetics department the next day (she was not in on the day that I interviewed). After meeting with the cosmetic head, I was asked to interview with Talent Plus. It took a couple days to receive a phone call to set up an interview with Talent Plus and a couple more days to actually take part in the interview. Talent Plus is a over the phone interview that asks various scripted questions for about 30 minutes. When the phone interview is finished the representative lets your know that Macy's will be the one to contact you regarding what comes next. After my Talent Plus interview, I was called the next morning by the regional manager for the brand I would be representing. I scheduled an interview with her for that week where I was interviewed for 30 minutes and then needed to preform a 30 minute make-up application. About 3 days later I was called and offered the position!

Interview Question – The Talent Plus interview is nerve racking because you do not know what will be asked. They are questions regarding your personality, life experiences, and character. Be yourself and answer honestly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered what I initially asked for in the first interview.

Principal Quality Engineer Interview

Principal Quality Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – They have intermediate selection process starting from HR interview, technical phone screen, programming test followed by technical in person interview. After all if Macys would like to offer at all, there will be a director/ VP interview followed by compensation discussion/negotiation.

Interview Question – They provided me a computer and informed the current problem they are facing. You have been given 15 minutes time to think of, followed by explain you approach.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Bonus they never give compulsory. In case of compensation is not upto the mark, you can ask for joining bonus from 10K to 15K approximately.