Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
2,770 Interview Reviews

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I received an interview within a week of submitting my application. Questions were pretty typical interview questions. There were a lot of scenario based questions that started like "What would you do if..."

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you noticed a coworker or manager doing something illegal or against store policy?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The interview went so smooth and esay. He only asked me :" why did you choose to apply at macy's?" Then he asked about my available hours and if i was ineterested in a full time position after the season, and he said he gonna call me within 3 days.

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview process seemed casual as like a conversation thanks to Glassdoor and preparations. I had to wait a few minutes but it wasn't that bad. I didn't get hired but I know now what Macy's expects for their future employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

It was very simple. I applied online and got an email within the next few days to schedule for an interview. I went in and they just asked me the basic interview question like "Why this store" and how you would try to up sell. The interviewer was very professional but made me feel comfortable. They offered a pay and it was exactly what I was looking for then I filled out a paper then scheduled for training.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplaying, the interviewer a customer and I a retail associate.   Answer Question

Support Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Submitted online application. Received an email that asked me to interview in person within a week. Mostly behavioral questions that dealt with handling customers. The interview wasn't exactly formal, but it was straightforward (meaning it was less conversational than perhaps people are used to). All of the questions asked were very standard. I interviewed with my direct supervisor, and she was courteous and genuinely interested in my answers. Was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in sales? Do you have experience handling customers?   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Very quick response after application was submitted. Accommodating of times available to interview and takes about 30-60 minutes, one-on-one. If you get the job, they tell you salary right at the get go and will get you to training as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • If you had customers at the register, overflow of clothing in the fitting rooms and new customers just coming in to browse, how would approach this in such a way to deal with everyone?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online, got an email about a week later to set up an interview. The interview was not very difficult, my interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. Many of the interview questions were situational, such as, "How would you deal with a difficult customer?", and "How would you go about selling a Macy's card?". Overall, the interview was not very difficult. However I did not get the job because my availability did not work for them.

Interview Questions
    • After you have made a successful sale, how would you go about getting a customer to come back?   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

The whole process took about a week. I applied online and received an email the following week that i was invited to an interview. While I was waiting everyone was very nice and helpful. The interview took about 15 minutes and was mostly scenario questions. Turns out while I was looking for a permanent part-time position they were only hiring seasonal at the time, which kind of made me feel like I had wasted my time, but the guy who interviewed me said that once they started hiring for permanent positions again i would be considered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to help a friend with an unfamiliar problem. What was the result?   Answer Question

Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Applied online and got an invite to an interview two days later. Had a 1:1 interview. The associate was very kind and talkative, in the fashion of most Macy's associates. Aside from the question about group activities, none of them were unexpected or difficult. Was asked to confirm availability, but I applied to a position that doesn't require 24/7/365 availability.

This particular location told me to wait 24-48 hrs for a yes or no response. The interview was 15 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • What group activities did your team excel in, and what steps did you take to excel?   View Answer

Seasonal Support Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online - got an email to schedule myself an interview the following week.
    Had the interview with the support manager, she was very nice.
    She asked me a very few questions like "tell me about a time when..."
    They're really easy to answer if you have experience with any job.
    The interview only took about 15 minutes.
    I got the job on the spot & I had to send my background check.
    The background was what took the longest, about a week and a half. (but don't hesitate to call and check up on it after a week)
    two days of orientation (6 hrs. of videos all together)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but one was "Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer"   View Answer
    No negotiation - minimum wage