Macy's Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
2,620 Interview Reviews

2.3

Seasonal Support Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Job was posted online about 2 or 3 days prior to me applying to it. I applied on a Thursday. Got an email to schedule an interview the very next day. I scheduled to have my interview as soon as possible which was that Monday morning. When it came time for my interview, I was literally in the room for all of 5 minutes. The interviewer was friendly, but was on her phone texting for majority of the time. She claims, she was trying to "multitask". She asked me a couple of typical questions: Why are you here?, Out of all the candidates I have to interview today, why should I pick you?, What's your availability?. I got the job on the spot. Though it is worth noting the process of actually beginning to work has been stressful. It's been 3 weeks and I have yet to actually start a shift and it's been extremely frustrating. My background check took about a week to clear and then I was able to go in and do the online training, which by the way took 7 and a half hours. So just beware of that. And then I was told to check the online schedule program to see if I was scheduled. Haven't been scheduled yet. They said it usually takes about 2 weeks. So I'm hoping something comes through this weekend. Honestly, the interview was super easy, but I also have customer service experience. So if you don't have customer service experience I would say to use your experience from something else where you have to interact with people. They want to know that you know how to deal with people especially when issues arise and that no matter what you can maintain a professional demeanor. I literally studied Glassdoor the night before, but didn't really need to. I had all the answers already, but if you are worried like others have said, everything you need to know is right on this site. Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to a support position if you have sales experience?   View Answer
    Nothing. Salary was not even brought up. I guess they figured since I was seasonal I would just accept anything which I am since I didn't have a paying job at all. But they pay a little over minimum wage.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Had one scheduled interview with the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager. Was a very pleasant experience and more of a conversation than a formal interview. The store manager was very up front about the expectations and challenges of the role.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. A lot of situational questions (i.e. Tell me a time when...)   Answer Question

Handbag Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

I googled the interview questions, as they go by a question form just like posted on line. Study the questions, dress professionaly and youll get the job. most macys are begging for employees.

Interview Questions
    • They were all easy, mostly asking questions like "What if" and :"What would you do"   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Initial basic phone interview. In person interview was a 2 person session where they asked for details about my contributions to my previous position, how I would improve my performance and what I expected in the future. No surprises. There was talk of advancement opportunities within the company. It was one of the easier job interviews. Just listen and if you have good attention to detail, try to showcase that along with any law enforcement, LP or security experience, especially when asked about your role and results in situations.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was essentially a more in depth phone interview.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because I was leaving a very low paying position. However, I would suggest when you apply you don't lowball. Look at the average and go a $1 or $2 above.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview within 24 hours. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked a series of questions about how I would react to certain situations. Some of the questions were even posted on this website! The hiring manager was down to earth. I was offered the position right on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get customers to apply for our credit card?   View Answer
    There wasn't much room for negotiation, I was offered 9.00/hr

Part Time Women's Shoes Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Pretty easy interview, it went fast and the questions are everything you would expect from an interview. The person who interviewed me was really nice and easy to talk to and I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How have you gone about selling an idea to someone?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online then 2 weeks later got an interview. The interview was great nice average questions.I was hired on the stop and asked what department I wanted to work in. Then, the interview ended and they never contacted me again until I showed up and asked what was going on. The Department manager that hired forgot that she had hired me. So, I had to interview again and got hired again.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you knew a coworker was stealing from the company?   Answer Question
    I accepted the start wage which was 8.00

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Yonkers, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

The interviewing process was as expected. It was fairy smooth in setting and comfortable. I was able to answer each and every question without hesitation, My interviewer was very professional and prepared.

Interview Questions
    • There were no specific questions that were on a difficult level, all questions were typically expected.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the initial position I would be in.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Online. Quick. Interview was basic and brief. I was asked a series of standard questions. It helped that I was already a former employee so the process wasn't as stringent. I was essentially told that I was hired, but I would have to meet the cosmetic company's reps. They would have the final word concerning their counter, however, I would still be hired by Macy's no matter.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be willing to assist in a technical role if IT could not be reached in a timely manner.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. Tandem Salary Quote between Cosmetic company and Macy's.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monroeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroeville, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online at www.Macys.com for a sales position. I was contacted within a day to schedule an interview. Interview times were available as soon as the following day. Upon arrival for my interview, I checked in with the secretary and I was asked to wait at the end of the hall. The lady arrived within ten minutes and took me back to an empty office for the interview. She was very polite and well spoken. She asked me why I wanted to work for Macy's. She then talked about the full and part time hours and how they scheduled the employees. She told me how you could advance within the company, the rules that applied for attendance, and how you could pick up extra hours. Due to my taking classes, they were unable to offer me a full time position. You must be available any time for a full time position. I was offered a part time position with the ability to pick up extra hours if available. Overall the interview went very smoothly and lasted less than a half hour.

There was no negotiation. They have to go by a chart the company provides and pay is dependent on your experience.