Macy's

Updated Jan 29, 2015
3,002 Interview Reviews

2.3

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

I applied online and got an email to do an phone interview. The phone interview came a week later, it was about 15 minutes long, pretty basic. He was really nice, the questions were all fairly easy. Was offered after the interview. Being that it was a phone interview where the interview can't see you, you have to rely on your speech and tone.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, all were pretty basic, most questions are found on Glassdoor   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I took the offer.

Macy's Seasonal Retail Cashier Fragrance Counter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

I initially applied online and it took about three weeks for me to get a response. I received an email asking me to schedule an interview through the Macy's jobs scheduling website. It took me about two weeks to set an appointment because there were no available dates. It stated to check back frequently to see if any appointments were posted for interviewing. I finally set up an interview for the following Wednesday, Dec 3rd. The email I received after setting up the interview explained where to go in the Macy's building.

I referred to glassdoor the day before and the morning of my interview, as my interview was for 12:15pm. I arrived at Macy's at 12:05 and there were two other candidates waiting as well, we were all around the same age (18-20). No employees were around so I asked the two girls where do I check-in they pointed to the desk in the open door Human Resources office. No one was at the desk, so I sat in the waiting area. After about a minute two employees returned, I walked into the office neither of them acknowledged me until I said "Hello". Then they gave me a dumbfounded look so I said I was here for a 12:15 interview. The guy asked me my name pointed to it on a sheet on a clipboard with the names and times of the interviewees and asked me to sign next to my name. He then told me to sit down and wait for someone to call your name.

While I waited another girl showed up around 12:15 for a 12:00 appointment. After about 5 minutes her interviewer showed up called her name and walked her out. So apparently they aren't very strict on the time.

My interviewer showed up at about 12:25 and walked me through the bedding section into an employees-only corridor down a hallway and into the interviewing rooms. It was just two chairs facing each other. The total interview was about 10 minutes. She asked me about 5 questions on a sheet and as I talked wrote down my words. I can't recall each question, but she asked:

Have you ever had to sell an item and how did you do so?

Tell me a time when you had to offer another option to a customer.

I can't remember the other two, but they were questions I saw on glassdoor. The interview was very simple and short, my interviewer was nice and even talked about a teacher she had in high school. She told me I was a great match and she would offer me a job, but there weren't any. If you are a great candidate but there are no available jobs, Macy's benchmarks your application for when there are positions available. She told me they had been interviewing since September, why they still interview people when there are no more jobs, I don't know, guess that's a Macy's hiring policy thing.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when your integrity was tested. What did you do, and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

The interview went really well. The person who interviewed me was very nice and energetic. She asked basic questions. Such as why Macy's? How are you with people etc. She also asked a lot of scenario questions. After the interview she left and then came back into the room within a matter of minutes and offered me an open position. Overall the experience was great.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you used teamwork to achieve a task?   Answer Question
    • If you just sold jeans to a customer how would get them to come back next time?   Answer Question
    Very fast. Minimum wage. Macy's discount. Must have open availability Saturday and Sunday.

Seasonal Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online and got an email to schedule an interview 2 or 3 days later. No time slots were open so I had to wait a few more days just to schedule the appointment. When I finally scheduled an interview the only open time to interview was over 8 days later.Anyways, it was a simple interview that lasted about 20 minutes. I arrived early and she took me to her office just a few minutes later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think creativity is important to use while working and why? (Something along those lines)   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate/Part Time Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online and was sent an email that I was chosen for an interview. I picked the next available date (online) about a week later. Arrived 20 minutes early and waited to be called (I was the only one there but they were also expecting another girl whom I didn't see) but it seemed that all the managers were still out to lunch (1pm) an AST supervisor did the interview one on one in an office. I was prepared and just a tad nervous but the supervisor was easy to speak to. She asked if I was aware it was seasonal, temp job and i said yes. Told me that since it is, i didn't have to go thru the whole interview process. asked me a few questions and told me to fill out some info and gave me a paper with a list of things I should bring to verify i can work (told me she wasn't allowed to say which one but to choose from column a or b and c) Said she will call me in a week. Just 24hrs later, i got a customary rejection email from HR:

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Macys?
      Do you have any retail experience?

Answer Question

Cosmetics Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online (one day after the job position was posted) and received an email within a week prompting me to schedule an appointment for an interview for sometime during the upcoming week. On the day of my appointment, my interviewer was late for my interview and rushed through the whole process when she finally arrived. The interview itself was extremely short and the questions were specific to the position that I applied for.

Interview Questions
    • Explain, in detail, the steps of creating a certain look for a client. This was basically the only question asked.   Answer Question

Seasonal Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

I applied online and recieved an email for an interview in a few days. I couldn't make an earlier interview date than December as I was back at school during that time. I showed up to the interview and the lady told me that all the positions were filled but they'd go ahead and do the interview anyway. Which I thought was pointless. Anyway it was easy, I never did get a job but the lady seemed like she just didn't want to be there or doing it.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

I applied online and the next day I received an email for an interview. I made an appointment for an interview for the following day and the earliest they had. I arrived 15 minutes early and dressed as the Macy's dress code to show I was determined to get this job. I arrived in the office and this lady asked "Can I help you?" I replied "Yes ma'am I am here for an interview." She asked for my name and had my paper profile in her hand. She was walking up and down in that office and gave it to the store manager and, he was walking up and down in the office for about a good 20 minutes. He finally apologize saying he was trying to find someone to interview me. He ended up interviewing me the whole time. He asked "Why Macys?" than started to read questions from the paper. He stuttered way to much while reading the interview questions to me, he kept shaking and I kept getting interrupted. His phone kept ringing and other employers kept coming in his office. He kept commenting that he liked my answers to his questions. Than at the end of the interview he said he would give this to a section manager or section supervisor and they would look over my notes. He continued to say "I will make sure I would tell them what a good candidate you are. I would have them call you because I don't know what department are available." The next morning I received and email and it said there is no positions available for me at the moment.

Interview Questions
    • -Why Macys?
      -Do I like to voice my opinion? Benefits? Disadvantages?
      -Describe a time I saw someone do something wrong?
      -Describe a time I sold something?
      -What would I say to a customer to make them feel better shopping her again?
      -Describe a time I helped someone with a difficult situation.
      The questions above were the only questions I remember. Overall It wasn't difficult just a lot of describing.

View Answer

Fitting Room Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheaton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheaton, MD

interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Hiring process was easy, I had a one on one interview with the executive manger and he asked the basic questions. The interview went really well it was kind of rushed because he had other things to attend to but he told me I got the job on the spot and I started the following day.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Pretty straight forward one on one interview. But for cosmetics there are two interviews one with a counter manager and one with the cosmetics manager. She was basically just explaining what our duties where and talking about the different lines of makeup the store has. She set me up with an interview with the manager of cosmetics later that week. The second interview was light she was just asking about my avaliability and what counter I would like to work at.Then after I filled out some papers and had to come in next week for training.

Depends on your experience. Cosmetic associates get commission as well.