Macy's

Getting the Interview

134 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was really fast. Went in for an interview and was called back a couple hours after. Very basic questions why do you want to work here,have you ever seen someone do something that was wrong, etc.

Interview Question – For a person with no experience how would you encourage someone to open an account.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Seasonal Interview

Westminster, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2011.

Interview Details – A week after finishing online application, a manager called asked me to go in for an interview. The questions are fairly simple. They just wanted to know if you are able to use a register and know customer service. The lady manager who interviewed me told me I was too shy and the would have to take some time to consider. She called me five minutes after I left to tell me she is willing to give me a chance and to go in and fill out paperwork for employment.

Interview Question – Are you okay with the act of persuading customers to open Macy's credit card?   View Answer

Topanga, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The interview was straightforward. They asked about my background as a person and as a sales associate. Asked questions about what my experience working in a retail environment. Once all the questions were asked I asked a couple back to the interviewer. To my surprise I was hired once the interview was over. I was only hired as a temporary associate but the work experience was invaluable.

Interview Question – What is one of your flaws?   Answer Question

Pasadena, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

Interview Details – Easy going, very friendly people. Actually help you with any questions and make you feel very comfortable right off the bat!

Interview Question – No difficult question just your usual, "how would you handle a difficult customer" etc. like interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They ask what position/department you'd be interested and then afterwards they offer what is available, and then you go from there!

Cosmetics Interview

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online then got an email to schedule an interview. When I got to interview I waited like 5min and then the manager came took me to office and explained how she's gonna ask me a series of questions. They were like about 10 questions of why I want to work there and what would you do in this situation. The manager was friendly and nice, thought I had a good chance but then got an email later that day that I wasn't offered the job.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult   Answer Question

Store Executive Development Program Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got a first round interview by submitting my resume through my campus OCR. The initial interview consisted of a standard 30 minute behavioral interview, along with asking if you are okay with working nights and weekends. Then I was sent to another room with a different interview who did a 10 minute behavioral, and 20 minute coaching exercise. The coaching exercise is a description of several different employees, and then you are given time to describe which one you would choose to coach, how you would improve them, and why you picked them in the first place. The second round interview is a overnight experience. Mine was located in Los Angeles, and they flew people in from Arizona, Norcal and Utah. The first afternoon/evening consists of information sessions and then dinner with some recruiters. The second day consists of 2 1-on-1 interviews, 1 of which the questions are based upon the responses you gave on a online personality test before you arrived to the second round. The other 2 events of the day are a business acumen exercise (given a store sales sheet, talk about how to improve sales, etc.) and a group exercise where you must come to an agreement about a hiring issue. Creativity is key in succeeding in both of these exercises, but they are not at all difficult. The day ends with a session about the career path of the store executive. I was offered the job about a week later. Macy's has a "at-will" policy, so they (and you) can terminate employment at any time, without reason.

Interview Question – Given the sales of these departments, how would you drive sales and allocate resources?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not attempt to negotiate

Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online they send you an email. You set up a time through their website to go in and interview. The interview is simple, once you're done with that they will tell you if they have any open positions or not.

Interview Question – Lots of behavior based questions concerning sales and customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was short as my resume was really detailed. But mostly the questions were the classic questions like: What makes you applying for this job? Why did you left your previous job? What are some of your success? What are your weakness?
The manager just ask some details about my past experiences as visual merchandiser. And what my previous manager would say about me if he would have contacted him.

Interview Question – Why they should hire me?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty quick. I applied on a Thursday and they called me in/emailed me to schedule a interview that following Monday. They ask typical interview questions. just be friendly and show interest. I got a offer right on the spot.

Interview Question – My most unexpected question was do i have any kids or family problems that would make me miss days at work.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It wasn't really a negotiation phase.

Walnut, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied Online for Shoes department. Got a call for an interview a week later. It was very hectic that day considering it was the start of the holidays so i waited about 15 min. Went through the interview just fine, but after the interview was done, she said they weren't hiring. Which was ridiculous because why did she even go through with the whole interview knowing prior, they weren't hiring anymore.

Interview Question – How do i go about selling a Macy's card?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in Los Angeles, CA. All 134 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.