Macy's

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

If they call you in for an interview, it is more than likely that you've already gotten the job. They ask pretty basic questions, nothing that wasn't far from the normal interview questions. i.e "Why do you want to work for our company? , What do you consider to be some of your strengths, etc. " It is a great job for beginners to gain experience in the customer service field.

Macy's Seasonal Retail Cashier Fragrance Counter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

I initially applied online and it took about three weeks for me to get a response. I received an email asking me to schedule an interview through the Macy's jobs scheduling website. It took me about two weeks to set an appointment because there were no available dates. It stated to check back frequently to see if any appointments were posted for interviewing. I finally set up an interview for the following Wednesday, Dec 3rd. The email I received after setting up the interview explained where to go in the Macy's building.

I referred to glassdoor the day before and the morning of my interview, as my interview was for 12:15pm. I arrived at Macy's at 12:05 and there were two other candidates waiting as well, we were all around the same age (18-20). No employees were around so I asked the two girls where do I check-in they pointed to the desk in the open door Human Resources office. No one was at the desk, so I sat in the waiting area. After about a minute two employees returned, I walked into the office neither of them acknowledged me until I said "Hello". Then they gave me a dumbfounded look so I said I was here for a 12:15 interview. The guy asked me my name pointed to it on a sheet on a clipboard with the names and times of the interviewees and asked me to sign next to my name. He then told me to sit down and wait for someone to call your name.

While I waited another girl showed up around 12:15 for a 12:00 appointment. After about 5 minutes her interviewer showed up called her name and walked her out. So apparently they aren't very strict on the time.

My interviewer showed up at about 12:25 and walked me through the bedding section into an employees-only corridor down a hallway and into the interviewing rooms. It was just two chairs facing each other. The total interview was about 10 minutes. She asked me about 5 questions on a sheet and as I talked wrote down my words. I can't recall each question, but she asked:

Have you ever had to sell an item and how did you do so?

Tell me a time when you had to offer another option to a customer.

I can't remember the other two, but they were questions I saw on glassdoor. The interview was very simple and short, my interviewer was nice and even talked about a teacher she had in high school. She told me I was a great match and she would offer me a job, but there weren't any. If you are a great candidate but there are no available jobs, Macy's benchmarks your application for when there are positions available. She told me they had been interviewing since September, why they still interview people when there are no more jobs, I don't know, guess that's a Macy's hiring policy thing.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when your integrity was tested. What did you do, and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online, the next day got an email to schedule an appointment for an interview. One of the managers asked me about my previous work experience, asked some situational questions. Make sure to bring a resume even though they don't use it and make sure you know what MAGIC selling is. It will help a lot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you upsale some pants?   View Answer
    • How would you get a customer to apply for a Macy's Star Rewards card?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $9.10 an hour

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I knew someone who worked for Macy's at the time who recommended I apply online. The application was very lengthy. I received an invitation for an interview right away despite having no previous job experience (I was only 18). I met with a general sales manager who interviewed me for about ten minutes, asked very basic interview questions and offered me the job on the spot. I started within two weeks after some basic online training.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very basic, such as about my background, what types of situations I'd been in, how I felt about customer service, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Seasonal Retail Fitting Room Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

First I scheduled my interview online after the initial application process. Then I received an email conformation the day before my interview directing me where to go for my interview. On the day of, after I found the office I told a man at the desk I was there for my interview appointment at 3:15. I got there around 3. I waiting till around 3:300 to be interviewed since all the manger were in a meeting. The interview itself was pretty simple. It was relaxing with most of the questions that I read on her. At the end I did not get the position I applied for but was offered a different position. I declined because the work was a lot more heavier since it was in the recovery on the dock unloading the merchandise. But the interview itself was a great experience!!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Macy's?   View Answer
    • How would you get someone to apply to a Macy's card?   View Answer
    • We here at Macy's value integrity. Explain a situation where you had to demonstrate this.   View Answer
    • How would you expand on a customers purchase on a pair or pants.? And how would you celebrate their purchase?   View Answer

The work they were offering me was heavy work and I couldn't do it because of a back condition that I had from a car accident I recently got into.

Seasonal Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I apply online, receive the email for interview schedule on the next day. On the interview day, I dress nicely, go to the HR room, wait in there. Then I was called for interview. The questions are quite easy. She told me that alot of people apply for the job, so they will decide who get the job after all interview. After 2 day, I get the refuse email.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Easy interview process. Had a number of people meet with HR to discuss a very short basic questionnaire. Then a group interview which acted like a training session. It was a very easy and short interview process. Possibly because it was seasonal so they just hired who they could to help during the busy season.

Part-Time Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I filled an online application and was notified in a week to schedule an appointment. I reached on time, dressed trendy-chic, met with a nice young woman who interviewed me. The questions were very basic interview Q's. I had prepared for the interview and answered appropriately. I have a design background and the job felt very appropriate and in line with my skills. I provided the lady a copy of my Resume' and also showed her my related design portfolio - Everything went well and the intvw lasted 15 mins. I shook hands and was told to expect an e-mail in 1-1.5 weeks. However the following morning i received an e-mail declining my candidacy. I don't know what went wrong.

Macy Flex Team Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online and received an e-mail the next day asking for an interview. I dressed very corporate and came 10 minutes early. I didn't receive my interview until 20 minutes after my initial interview time. I was interviewed by a man in HR and he asked some basic questions about beauty and customer service. It seemed like a busy day at Macy's because he was constantly being interrupted by phones call, which was very distracting. The man was pleasant nice and very formal. the interview lasted 15 minutes and at the end of the interview he said he'll pass my information along to the beauty counter managers to decide if I'll be getting a second interview. He also said I'll be receiving an e-mail to notify me if I'll be getting the second interview or not. it's been over 2 weeks and I have not received a call or e-mail form them again,but i did notice that they are not receiving anymore applications for flex team beauty advisor. Overall decent interview but I wish I was notified of my status with the store.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you applying makeup on other people?
      Why Macy's?
      Explain a time you receive great customer service.
      Explain you worked in a stressful environment and what did you do, how did you handle it
      Can you name time you worked in a team to accomplish a goal.

View Answer

Seasonal Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online on a Monday.
    The next day (Tuesday) I received an email giving me a link to chose my interview time.
    I choice Saturday of the same week.

I got to the store 15 mins ahead of time. The store was packed with people because there was a a sale going one. The managers were scrambling around trying to help the employees & people on the floor so interviews were running late.

When i finally got called into my interview the woman rushed through the interview but the questions were all scenario type questions. She also asked if i would be comfortable selling the Macy's card to customers.