Macy's

239 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Traffic Coordinator Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Macy's in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was definitely geared around determining your diplomacy skills, demeanor, decision making skills and resolve.

Executive Development Program Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – I did the phone interview in November and received a call to fly to Miami for an in person interview. It was a two day process. The first day is mainly seminars and orientation about the company. The secondary is two interviews, an individual presentation, and then a team assignment.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team.   View Answer

Gift Registry Advisor Interview

Garden City, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I had previously worked as a Bridal Consultant and sent in an application for the Gift Registry Advisor position. We filled out an assessment that seemed to be more of a personality quiz. There was no interview.

Interview Question – How hard-driving would your most recent manager consider you to be?   View Answer

Art Director Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online numerous times as a result of not hearing back after months waiting. Called by HR after second follow-up email and told they were interested in interviewing me. After having my interview with my potential boss we waffled back and forth on salary. HR had no clue about what a competitive salary was for my field and experience. Future boss told me they were working on it with HR, but that HR was clueless and didn't understand what the job responsibilities were and were therefor unable to justify adjusting their offer. I was also informed that the company does not give competitive raises in my field so I ultimately did not agree to a full-time job, only freelance which paid better, but was still grossly underpaid.

Interview Question – Do you have retail experience?   Answer Question

GIFT REGISTRY ADVISOR Interview

Eatontown, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed by the store manager, one on one. This was a preliminary interview. If interested, I would be called back for a second interview. The hours nor salary were discussed. Questions regarding computer literacy, how to handle co-worker relationships, why Macy's?, why gift registry position as opposed to sales? were asked. Very pleasant and short, about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Give examples of when you were required to meet a metric?   Answer Question

Bronx, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied one day and got an email to schedule an interview the next day. I had about a 15 min interview. I searched all this questions practicing answers but the questions were simple. she told me she would call me next day and she didn't and I got nervous I even called and they told ne she would call me and I lost hope but she called 5 days later and set my training for the next day.

Interview Question – basically about selling the credit cards   View Answer

Management Development Program Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – I attended an interview session on campus, which really got me interested in this program. I had been selected by an HR manager to get a one on one interview on campus, which also went very well. After doing well on this interview, I was invited to a super day in NYC. Throughout this interview process I had do undergo several online assessments that took a significant amount of time. During the super day, you learned even more about the program and were interviewed by two different employees. The day also included a timed individual case study and a team case study to test your leadership and critical thinking abilities.

Interview Question – After using information from the assessments I took online, they determined questions to ask like: are you more comfortable in a fast paced or slow paced environment?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Private Brand Specialist Interview

Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in March 2012.

Interview Details – You get an email requesting an interview. You schedule and manage your interview date and time online. You show up for the interview, meet with the manager of one of the departments hiring, and they ask you which departments you're most knowledgeable about. They then tell you which departments that are currently accepting new hires and ask which you would prefer. They then have you meet with the manager of the department you chose and that manager asks you a few questions about your experience. They'll also ask you if you're comfortable with soliciting credit and handling cash. They decide on the spot whether or not you're hired.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They're all basic and simple questions. They have no real standards except to be willing to push customers to open credit and upselling.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2010.

Interview Details – Two interviews.. one with general HR, one with your department manager - not difficult at all very basic questions, how would you react in tough situations with customers...

Interview Question – What was your most challenging situation/confrontation with a former colleague or friend?   Answer Question

Sales Associate
West Orange, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – You have to fill out a job application online that includes a questionnaire about your work ethics. If they approve of your questionnaire and application, you will receive an email from HR to schedule an interview. The interview was about 15-20 minutes long. Asked a series of questions about availability, work ethics, goals, etc. HR will email you back about a week later to let you know whether you got the job or not.

Interview Question – If a customer finds a shirt that's on the clearance rack for 60% off but it rings full price, would you give the customer the 60% off? Why or why not?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 239 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.