Macy's

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

I came in met with the hiring manager talked for about 20 minutes and that was it. Didn't get the job because i didn't have enough sales experience. Hiring manager was nice but didnt really give a chance for you to really answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • It was a packet full of questions that each macy's ask you and the hiring manager fills it out.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in January 2015.

Very quick. You ALWAYS go through HR first, meet with 2 to 3 people depending on the team and area, and each interview is scheduled for 30 to 45 minutes. Go prepared with questions to ask. The hiring managers like that! If you are a strong candidate, you'll meet with Director level and above team members, and if you get an offer, HR calls you first, then emails you your offer letter and details.
    The experience overall was easy. You just need to make sure you are a fit before you apply and interview, otherwise you won't get contacted and you won't move forward in the process. Usually they interview 3-5 people, before weeding it down to 2, then to the person they extend the offer to.
    Starting pay is higher than most companies - but once you're in, the pay scale could potentially take a long time to grow.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me why you are interested in this position"   View Answer
    No I did not need to negotiate. Macy's offers a very decent pay package, although you do not get president's day or MLK day off, even in the corporate company. Macy's also does not give Black Friday off or the day after xmas off even if it's a Friday - only 6 paid company holidays in corporate. I find this really very annoying.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online via CareerBuilder that made you fill out a "personality" questionnaire (12 pages worth), then got en email to schedule an interview online. Picked the earliest date I could, came in, waited about 20 minutes with ~20 people. Taken to interview room (5-6 simultaneous 1:1 interviews), asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me to ask questions, then went to "check what position is available" and came back with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger.   Answer Question
    • Macy's highly values integrity. Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable-- they come back with the position/department and hourly wage. You either accept it or reject it.

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlesex, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlesex, NJ

I applied online and after 6 days I received an email to schedule for an interview thru a link which I did, the interview date I picked was Dec 2 2014 by 12:15pm, I arrived there by 11:00am, and I walked to the office and the secretary told me to drop my name and phone number down that if the manager is free before my appointment time I will be called if not till 12:15pm, she said I should just hang around, so I decided to do some window shopping around the store, while I was walking round i saw one of their staff with a cart of items to restock and the cart was about to fall from her so I ran to help her and she tried to fix the leg of the cart that fell out, after that she thanked me and we both smiled at each other, while I was still walking I saw a customer and she said to me that I look good and I smiled and said thank you and I told her her hair looks good and we both smiled and maybe because I was wearing black on black with long boot she thought am a staff lol,she told me that she was looking for a red round neck sweater and all she could see was a v neck and I helped her to check also and we did not see so she had to pick the pink color, and I left her and told her to enjoy her shopping, when I left her i walk to another direction and i saw exactly what she was looking for and I took it to her and she was soooo happy and she thanked me and said I am her angel for that day and I smiled, when it was 12:05pm I went to the office again and the secretary told me that I should exercise patience that the manager will soon be free so I went out again. I decided to stand close to the office to wait and while I was waiting I saw the staff I helped early walked thru to the office and we smiled at each other, about 12:25pm i received a call that they are ready for the interview and I walked in and the secretary introduced me to the sale supervisor "the same person I had helped with the cart"and said she will interview me and the woman smiled at me and said " hmm we meet again" and we both smiled, she then took me to the interview room, there were chairs and tables there she then pulled out a chair and told me to seat and she sat also, she now proceeded with the questions from a book, 1, Tell me about yourself, 2, have you ever sold something to a stranger and how did it go, 3, if your team is given a task to do and everybody thinks it is done but you feel it is not done what will you do, 4, why Macy's, 5, Are you a risk taker, 6, How well can you use technology, 7, Has your integrity been tested before, have you seen coworker stealing and what did you do about it, 8, Availability, 9, what method of payment did you use at your last job. I was so bold answering the question and I even gave an example of the lady I help to get the red sweater and that made her happy as well, because I had early seen these questions on glassdoor and as I was answering I was looking into her eyes and she was writing down things, after i have answered all the questions she now told me that they pay their seasonal $8:25, and weekend is compulsory and some late night also.i was worried about the late night cos I went with bus so she said I should discuss it with my husband and call her the next day unfailingly cos other people are still coming for interview. She even said if I perform well they might even hire me for permanent, the next day I called her and told her that I am available for the job so she said the will give me a call to come for the paperwork, the pay is not too ok for me but I just needed to include Macy's in my CV and to get some experience there.

Interview Questions
    When I applied I put $9:75 but they said they pay their seasonal $8:25, so I had to accept it.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Pretty straight forward one on one interview. But for cosmetics there are two interviews one with a counter manager and one with the cosmetics manager. She was basically just explaining what our duties where and talking about the different lines of makeup the store has. She set me up with an interview with the manager of cosmetics later that week. The second interview was light she was just asking about my avaliability and what counter I would like to work at.Then after I filled out some papers and had to come in next week for training.

Depends on your experience. Cosmetic associates get commission as well.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

it was easy i applied online and it took 2 days nd i got a email to register for the interview nd it was the best one i had with any manager, i didnt take the job because they pay 8.00 and they dont give you all of your hours.

Hours and pay

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online. Got an email to schedule my appointment the next day. The process took about 4 days. Got there and answered about 5 questions. I didn't get the job because "the days I'm available were'nt good for them" ... but I honestly know I didn't do so good at the interview. It was my first official interview and I was a little nervous, avoided eye contact and didn't give the "perfect". The questions she asked me are below.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why did you choose Macy's?
      2) Tell me about a time your integrity was tested.
      3) Tell me how would you sell a product.
      4) If a customer wanted to buy a product right now but there is a better product coming out months from now, how would you persuade someone to buy the later product?
      5) How would you sell a Macy's Credit Card?

View Answer

Seasonal Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Completed an online application and called in for an interview within one week. The interviewer asked me a series of questions. She told me they are in the process of interviewing and i should expect a call the following week. I haven't heard back. The interview was pleasant. Glassdoor is a very helpful resource. I found all the interview questions and some answers on this website.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest pet peeve at work?   View Answer

Traffic/Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

At least a 3 week process. You will meet with the janitor first and move your way up as they waste your time meeting with the managers, staff and then the actual decision makers, Directors and V.P's.

Interview Questions
    • No really trick questions. If you memorize all of the standard questions of an interview, you should be alright.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation process. Their offer is the only offer they will go with.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I found out about the Executive Development Program through my career fair. The recruiter was so friendly and personable and explained the whole process thoroughly. First you meet them at the career fair then you attend an info session. They then invite you to an on-campus interview. Within a week or so, I got an email saying that I was invited to New York City for an on-site interview. They pay for your flight and hotel stay, which is great.

Salary is fixed.