Macy's

Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.6

180 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online via CareerBuilder that made you fill out a "personality" questionnaire (12 pages worth), then got en email to schedule an interview online. Picked the earliest date I could, came in, waited about 20 minutes with ~20 people. Taken to interview room (5-6 simultaneous 1:1 interviews), asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me to ask questions, then went to "check what position is available" and came back with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger.   Answer Question
    • Macy's highly values integrity. Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable-- they come back with the position/department and hourly wage. You either accept it or reject it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Applied online. Got an email to schedule my appointment the next day. The process took about 4 days. Got there and answered about 5 questions. I didn't get the job because "the days I'm available were'nt good for them" ... but I honestly know I didn't do so good at the interview. It was my first official interview and I was a little nervous, avoided eye contact and didn't give the "perfect". The questions she asked me are below.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why did you choose Macy's?
      2) Tell me about a time your integrity was tested.
      3) Tell me how would you sell a product.
      4) If a customer wanted to buy a product right now but there is a better product coming out months from now, how would you persuade someone to buy the later product?
      5) How would you sell a Macy's Credit Card?

View Answer

Traffic/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

At least a 3 week process. You will meet with the janitor first and move your way up as they waste your time meeting with the managers, staff and then the actual decision makers, Directors and V.P's.

Interview Questions
    • No really trick questions. If you memorize all of the standard questions of an interview, you should be alright.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation process. Their offer is the only offer they will go with.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I found out about the Executive Development Program through my career fair. The recruiter was so friendly and personable and explained the whole process thoroughly. First you meet them at the career fair then you attend an info session. They then invite you to an on-campus interview. Within a week or so, I got an email saying that I was invited to New York City for an on-site interview. They pay for your flight and hotel stay, which is great.

Salary is fixed.

Macy's Merchant Buying/Planning Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied through my colleges joblink portal and received an email stating that I have been requested for an interview. The interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews with either a Macy's buyer or planner. After you pass through the first interview, there is a second interview where you are fly to New York for an on-site interview. There, you are go through a retail math test and have a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define success?
      How do you deal with stress?

Answer Question

Product Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Phone interview, campus interview, online tests. When I walked into the room, I had one thirty minute interview and then I moved on to another room for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you had to motivate another team member.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online,
    Was called in for an interview (within 10 days).
    waited 55 min.

In a huge room with many small table many 1-1 interviews were going on at once.
    The women i met was really nice seemed she liked me,
    told me she would email me the next step in the process.

2 days later i recieve an email from HR application rejected, weird

Interview Questions
    • I mentioned retail experience,
      was asked if my last employer used technolagy to order items

View Answer

Retail Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

waited a awhile at HR before being called to a small room where a few interviews went on at once. very easy questions and scenario questions. I was a little nervous but did pretty well. the room was packed with people waiting to be interviewed. dress proper, discussed availability as well

Interview Questions
    i was given a good offer based on interview

Training Manager In Beauty Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Called in weeks after completing online app. However, when I arrived, was ignored in HR, waited over 1/2 hour for meeting, was supposed to meet with asst store mgr and 2 others. Met briefly with 2 managers and only shook hands with asst store mgr. The minute the asst store mgr met me, even though I had extensive beauty and management experience, I was snubbed. Was the only professional looking person being interviewed and those with tatoos, piercings all over and inability to even sign their names on the applications were getting offered job on the spot. Guess I was not "their type." There were lot of positions open and I was totally overlooked for some strange reason. Very perplexing and unusual experience for me regarding retail position.

Interview Questions
    • Only wish I was asked questions. Basically the 2 people I met just asked me questions about where I used to live. Disappointed I was not asked any business questions as I was confident I would be offered something as I always have been whenever I applied for cosmetic sales.   Answer Question

Seasonal Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I applied online and got a response within hours to setup an interview time. This was on a Friday afternoon and the first available interview was Monday. Easy to set up. HR people were super nice while I waited for the interviewer. She was nice, a bit busy, but it wasn't the job I actually wanted. She checked to see if there was an opening in the department I wanted. There was, and after they found the manager of that department, he interviewed me. Really, really nice and easy to talk to. First woman asked typical questions, such as how did you work as part of a team, name a time when you saw an employee do something dishonest and how did you handle it. Overall a super positive interview experience.

There was no negotiation because it is a seasonal job, but that may differ for permanent employment.