Macy's

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

On-Call Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, was later contacted via email about scheduling an interview. Logged on and wasn't able to set up a time yet. It took about two days of constantly logging on to finally be able to set an appointment for an interview. Arrived 10 mins early, followed the directions given to me on the appointment reminder......only to find NO ONE was in the offices or at the front HR desk area. Finally it was about 4 mins before the interview that someone finally asked me what I was doing, and finally had someone page the manager who was suppose to interview me. Kinda unprofessional. Her excuse was that she was 'never in her office'..really? So how am I suppose to get in contact with you?? Red flag immediately popped up in my mind. Then the interview started in the office. Simple, routine questions...nothing too hard or difficult. Then I was informed that the position I applied for I actually wasn't qualified to get. And was asked if I would be interested in on-call or part-time positions in other departments. I said sure. So the interviewer said that my application will be kept for other positions, and to call back every week or so and check in. Basically a very nice way of saying they don't want to hire me. I left feeling like I wasted my time. Called back a few times since then and with no answer or reply back. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL!

Interview Question – How would you sell the Macy's credit card to a customer?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through their website and received a notice thanking me for the application and to pick an interview time. Took me several days to schedule one, since I had to wait until a slot open. Did have to wait a little past my scheduled time, but not much. Standard questions regarding experience and background. Felt the interviewer (s) were quite personable and amicable. Felt comfortable immediately.

Interview Question – My availability (how soon). Was under the impression they were interviewing others and a decision would be made next week.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not enough hours offered.

Columbia, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – Shown around the store, met different people on the floor. Also had the interview in the manager's office in the executive office.

Interview Question – There weren't any really hard or technical questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in September 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was straightforward. If selected you will be contacted by email.

Interview Question – Give me a situation when you went over and beyond a customer expectations   Answer Question

On Call Sale Associate Interview

On Call Sale Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

Interview Details – -How would you go about selling macys cards
-How would you help somebody looking to buy a pair of pants
-Describe a time where you had to work in a group to reach a goal
-How would you celebrate a purchase
-What would you do if you saw a associate stealing/ Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw a associate stealing / Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very simple, Explained the pay, Hours and Benefits.

On Call Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Filled out an application online. Got the e-mail to schedule an in person interview with the manager. Was told I would get a position and a week later was called for orientation.

Interview Question – You get asked how you would get someone to apply for the Macy's card, so learning about the card helps.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I didn't push it either since it was my first retail job.

Temple Hills, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online the week before leaving college at a location not far from my home. I ended up being contacted for an interview a day or two later, I set the date and time then confirmed the interview. A situation came up where I had to reschedule the interview, so I did so online. I confirmed the new date and time for the interview and arrived on time. I was asked to come to the back only to hear they were no longer hiring and to try another location. I applied to the location down the street from my home where I landed an interview with the regional manager she complimented me on my makeup and wardrobe, asked what department I would like to work in, my availability and told me I was hired. I re applied last year, went through the interview process until we got to the pay section of thr interview. It appears they pay less than when I started. I told her I made more as a on call associate, she then left the room for five minutes and explained they were no longer hiring to check another location.

Interview Question – What do you consider STAR customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First time I tried to get 8.00 but their highest pay was 7.25 I was able to get 7.50. The last time no negotiation they wouldn't offer what I made so I was not offered the position.

Very Easy Interview

Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2009.

Interview Details – Basically you apply online for a specific position that is open in the store you want to work in. After being filtered through some computer system, if it gets past that point (I'm unsure who they filter out, and how), it gets sent to the human resource manager. From there they call you in for an interview with a manager, and then they decide whether or not to hire you from there.

Interview Question – Honestly I don't really know. The interview process isn't really hard at all, more than anything it's a joke. They don't care about retention whatsoever, they know they can find a replacement for you somewhat quickly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It's a huge corporation and for an hourly sales associate it is a - this is what will will pay you and that's it. Either you accept their low wage offer or you find another employer.

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in April 2012.

Interview Details – group interview so everyone basically says the same thing

Interview Question – really didn't have one   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – quick, on call i got the maximum allowed

Franklin, TN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application, called to schedule an interview. Went in for an interview with one of the general managers. Spoke for 15-20 minutes, called in the manager for the department I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to women coming in to buy a pair of slacks? And how would you get her to purchase another piece as well as sign up for a credit card?   Answer Question
  • Would you be comfortable pushing credit cards on customers?   Answer Question
  • How would you celebrate the purchase?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The base pay was significantly less than equivalent to the gas money I'd be spending to drive to work. The interview was also extremely unprofessional-- they didn't even know what position they were interviewing me for.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!