Macy's

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.1

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The online process is done online. HR will send an email informing you to pick a date and time for your interview, if selected. The interview is situational-based. If the first interview was successful then you will be called in for a second interview. The second interview will be with the manager of the department you may be interested in. I was told I have to start somewhere so the manager granted me the job during my second interview.

Interview Questions
  • I can't remember actually. I don't think I was asked a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

Applied online. Got email back to schedule interview. Interview was not difficult. Asked about experience in working in retail. Also, asked situational questions and what you would do during such situation.

Interview Questions
    • What qualifications would make you an ideal candidate for this position   Answer Question

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, was later contacted via email about scheduling an interview. Logged on and wasn't able to set up a time yet. It took about two days of constantly logging on to finally be able to set an appointment for an interview. Arrived 10 mins early, followed the directions given to me on the appointment reminder......only to find NO ONE was in the offices or at the front HR desk area. Finally it was about 4 mins before the interview that someone finally asked me what I was doing, and finally had someone page the manager who was suppose to interview me. Kinda unprofessional. Her excuse was that she was 'never in her office'..really? So how am I suppose to get in contact with you?? Red flag immediately popped up in my mind. Then the interview started in the office. Simple, routine questions...nothing too hard or difficult. Then I was informed that the position I applied for I actually wasn't qualified to get. And was asked if I would be interested in on-call or part-time positions in other departments. I said sure. So the interviewer said that my application will be kept for other positions, and to call back every week or so and check in. Basically a very nice way of saying they don't want to hire me. I left feeling like I wasted my time. Called back a few times since then and with no answer or reply back. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL!

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell the Macy's credit card to a customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Applied through their website and received a notice thanking me for the application and to pick an interview time. Took me several days to schedule one, since I had to wait until a slot open. Did have to wait a little past my scheduled time, but not much. Standard questions regarding experience and background. Felt the interviewer (s) were quite personable and amicable. Felt comfortable immediately.

Interview Questions
    • My availability (how soon). Was under the impression they were interviewing others and a decision would be made next week.   View Answer

Not enough hours offered.

On Call Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

-How would you go about selling macys cards
    -How would you help somebody looking to buy a pair of pants
    -Describe a time where you had to work in a group to reach a goal
    -How would you celebrate a purchase
    -What would you do if you saw a associate stealing/ Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw a associate stealing / Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest   Answer Question
    Very simple, Explained the pay, Hours and Benefits.

On Call Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Filled out an application online. Got the e-mail to schedule an in person interview with the manager. Was told I would get a position and a week later was called for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • You get asked how you would get someone to apply for the Macy's card, so learning about the card helps.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I didn't push it either since it was my first retail job.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online. I received an invitation to schedule an interview less than 24 hours later. I scheduled the interview. As I was waiting for the interview, I overheard the previous interviewer talking with someone in another room. This person said they didn't have any on-call positions available. I'm not sure why they even scheduled me for an interview then. Another male interviewer called me in for my interview. He must have been having a bad day because he acted put out the entire interview. He started by drilling me on why I could only work weekends. I found it baffling that they even called me in for an interview for 2 reasons. 1. There were no on call positions available and 2. My available hours were on the application. Why even call me if they didn't fit their needs? He then proceeded to read interview questions off a sheet. These were the typical retail questions. Then he got to the question about whether I was available weekends, holidays, early mornings, days, evenings and nights. I said yes (meaning on the weekend). He more or less said AHA, but you can only work on the weekends. I told him that I was sorry, but I obviously misunderstood how the flex position worked, but no I couldn't be available 24/7. I think he felt bad then and backed down. He said I didn't have to be available 24/7, but he needed more availability. I said I was a little confused by that since I put my availability on the application, but thank you. I then left and he jumped up to get the door for me. So, to sum it up, it was a learning experience, but a huge waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Schedule questions. For a flexible position they weren't very flexible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Submitted an online application, called to schedule an interview. Went in for an interview with one of the general managers. Spoke for 15-20 minutes, called in the manager for the department I was applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to women coming in to buy a pair of slacks? And how would you get her to purchase another piece as well as sign up for a credit card?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable pushing credit cards on customers?   Answer Question
    • How would you celebrate the purchase?   Answer Question

The base pay was significantly less than equivalent to the gas money I'd be spending to drive to work. The interview was also extremely unprofessional-- they didn't even know what position they were interviewing me for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Simple online application, I received an e-mail soon after telling me to schedule for a job interview. When I went, I had to wait quite a while for my interview, which wasn't bad. I didn't even apply for cosmetics, but that's what I was asked about, and I was told I got the job at the end of the interview. Pretty typical questions, like how you'd make a sale or upsell, why I wanted to work at Macy's, a time I made a sale, when I had received exceptional service somewhere, and stuff like that. I had to wait a while before I filled out the actual hiring paperwork though.

Interview Questions
    • A time I had to sell a product or idea. It threw me off a little, but I came up with an appropriate answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Shown around the store, met different people on the floor. Also had the interview in the manager's office in the executive office.