Macy's

Getting the Interview

118 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Hartford, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

Interview Details – The online application and questions did take some time. I was invited for an interview quickly. The interview was very nice, easy to understand, non intimidating. I was hired.

Interview Question – If another employee was constantly breaking the rules and or late getting back from their break and it was impeding on your break would you inform your manager. Would you address the employee yourself. Explain a situation where you had to take control of a situation. What would you say to a customer after helping them find a perfect pair of pants. Not a hard interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were four positions available. The position that I applied for in Jewelry was not available. The four positions were men's and wom part time and full time. Also a one or two day a week pt admin position paying 9.25hr. the rest 8.00.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Some managers will try to intimidate you since some they have a very diverse work force under them. So, don't be nervous and relax and show them that you are not a push over but willing to take in information to work there.

Interview Question – Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.   Answer Question

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – You fill out the application online and depending if you qualify for the job, you will receive an email requesting an interview. You pick out your interview day and time. When you go to your interview, you have to go to the Human Resources office located in Macy's check in. I waited for about 3-5 mins for my interviewer to come.

When she did arrive, she introduced herself to me and when went into her office. She was mean and rude and looked like she didn't even want to be there. She told me to tell me a bit about myself to her, she then asked me what availability was and she went day by day. When I said that I was available opening, she cut me a look and said "I need an exact time" so I provided her with one then (9am). She asked me why I chose to apply to Macy's. After those 3 questions, she told me that I didn't fit her requirements and that was it. The whole interview only lasted 5mins.

I wish I had someone a lot nicer to interview me.

Interview Question – Why did you choose to apply to Macy's?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email to schedule an interview within three days Interview was pretty straightforward. They ask basic questions like 'why Macy's', and 'what hours are you available'.

Interview Question – None really.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Interviewed for one position, was offered another. Ended up double hiring for a position and I was without a job. I filled out the new employer paperwork and everything. Showed up for orientation and they didn't have an employee number for me and they couldn't begin the orientation for me. They said I had to wait until another requisition number was open. They never got back to me.

Interview Question – Do you have retail experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted but I ended up still without a job.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, got phone call for interview. Did personality test. Offered over the phone. Reported to store HR for training.

Interview Question – What would my last employer say about my work eithic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – The manager that interviewed me was very nice and super nonchalant. She read the questions off a sheet and wrote down my answers. She was super friendly and everything was very easy, she did her best to put my nerves at ease.

They asked basic questions such as why I wanted to work for Macy's, where I heard about this job, my hour availability, if I could use computers and technology, if I worked well as a team, do I like a stable environment or a changing one, which department I wanted to work in and why, ect. There weren't any difficult questions, really.

After the interview she explained that the cosmetics department (the department I asked to work in) requires a second interview. So we set up that interview for a few days later. Unfortunately the cosmetics position was filled so I was offered a position in another department (with the first women who interviewed me) and I accepted.

Interview Question – There were really no difficult questions.
Tell me about a time when you had to work with coworkers to solve a problem
  View Answer

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I recently applied for 5 or 6 different jobs at Macys, and ended up with two different interviews. The application was very long and though I can see why I think it was to long for the application process. The interviews were a lot like their application process. There wernt a lot of questions, however the questions they asked were very particular.

Interview Question – The hardest question for me was regarding selling the Macys card to someone who may not need it and how I would sell it.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had already previously worked at Macy's, although I worked in a different mall, so I was expecting different interview questions. I went on Wednesday, January 29th, 2014. Nope, they asked me the same questions. They read off a paper and wrote down my answers. I was a little disappointed because that made it way too easy to get the job.
At the interview, they had explained to me that all the seasonal associates were let off on January 18th, 2014, and weren't calling any of them back because they were waiting for the fiscal year (first week of February) to start up again. Low and behold, February 3rd, I got a phone call from the interview I had gone to and was accepted and to come in the next morning to start my paperwork.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.
Tell me about a time where a customer or associate did something wrong and how did you handle it.
Tell me about a time where you had to deal with stealing and how you handled it.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Painless. Since I had already previously worked there, all I needed to do was fill out my paperwork once again and go through some light training. Only took me a couple of hours.

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – As I first walked in the receptionist was pretty snotty didn't ask my name or why I was here only please take a seat. I waited for twenty minutes to be approached and asked did I have an interview..Well duh is what I wanted to say but kept my cool saying yes another ten minutes went pass and finally a woman walked up asking me to follow her. She took out a piece of paper asking general interview question, Why Macys and how would u fit in. Then after the 10 minute interview she told me all the positions were filled. How rude and what a waste of my time. Why interview candidates if u know there isn't any work available.

Interview Question – How did u handle a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE interview questions and advice. All 118 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.