Macy's Retail Associate Interview Questions

2.0

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Filled up an online questionnaire and application, received an email a day after to schedule an interview

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in November 2011.

Personal interview following Online questionnaire and submission of resume.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you observed a sales associate making an error while serving a customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in September 2012.

Received an automated email to schedule, then set up interview time by phone. Interview was two-part (interviewed with 2 managers). Many, many questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me many questions that I've been asked in administrative, office interviews. I wasn't expecting so much scrutiny for a part-time retail job.   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible. It was an entry-level position

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Applied online, received an email for an interview appointment, went to the interview. Was told that all the positions were filled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

applied online, got a email a few days later telling me to set up a interview online. picked a interview date that was 4 days away. came in for my interview 10 min early. was interviewed by a very young lady. it was quick and to the point. was done in 10 minutes. was told that they would be in touch because they had a lot of people to interview. all the questions she asked were the ones that were posted on this site. just got a email today saying that i was not picked for the position. which is funny because i have over 6 years experience in customer service, but i am also a college student attending night school two times a week.

Interview Questions
    • why Macy's?
      how would you celebrate a purchase?
      how would you get a customer to open a credit line?
      how would you assist a customer who wants to buy a pair of pants?
      how do you adapt to changing environments?
      tell me about a time when a co-worker was doing something unethical.
      how comfortable are you working on a team?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

I applied to Macy's online and within two days I received an email to schedule my interview. I scheduled my interview that same week and showed up early (which was a plus). After waiting about 15 minutes for a manager to show up, the interview process begin with the cliche question "Tell me about yourself."

Needless to say, my interview went extremely well. At the conclusion of the interview, I asked the manager what was the next step. He told me that they hire on the spot and if he had a position available he would offer it to me. IF HE HAD A POSITION AVAILABLE. This was truly disappointing. After having an awesome interview he basically says I would have got the job if he had a job to give. I felt cheated.

Macy's has an all year application process. The manager told me that they never want to disregard people from applying. So they "bench" good candidates which consists of putting them on a list, so that when a position becomes available, they will notify that applicant for employment.

I felt that all the time and effort put in for my interview was a waste of time. I'm not sure which scenario is worse: Having a great interview and not getting the job, or having a great interview and getting a job that is not available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Applied online via their website, was e-mailed 2 days later to set up an interview. When I arrived, I was greeted several times and asked if someone had helped me yet, which I really appreciated. Waited about 10 minutes for a manager to become available to interview me. My interview was your standard screening interview and here are the questions I can remember:
    1. "Why Macy's?"
    2. "Describe a time where you experienced excellent customer service, and what that meant to you"?
    3. Describe a time where you went out of your way to provide excellent customer service
    5. Then they asked me a questions based on one of my answers to the online personality test, which was this: You are a member of a team who is constantly breaking the rules, acts unprofessionally, and never meets their quotas, how do you attempt to resolve this issue?
    6. In your past job, when something really bothered you at work such as a policy or new implementation, or something didn't necessarily turn out the way you'd planned, and your manager did nothing to resolve it, how did it affect you performance at work?

That is about everything they asked me. I was not asked directly "what are your strengths, and what are your weaknesses? But as you can see, any of these questions is meant to sort those out depending on the way one answers.

Interview Questions
    • In your past job, when something really bothered you at work such as a policy or new implementation, or something didn't necessarily turn out the way you'd planned, and your manager did nothing to resolve it, how did it affect you performance at work?   Answer Question
    • Then they asked me a questions based on one of my answers to the online personality test, which was this:

2) You are a member of a team who is constantly breaking the rules, acts unprofessionally, and never meets their quotas, how do you attempt to resolve this issue?
        Answer Question
    • 4. What would you do if you discovered that one of your fellow associates was doing something unethical?   Answer Question
    No negotioation, base pay is 8.25/hour plus 9% commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellingham, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2010.

I was very nervous for the interview but I thought did OK. It was a one on one interview, and she asked me basic interview questions. The hiring manager who interviewed me said in response to one of my questions: 'that's exactly what I wanted to hear!' which made me feel awesome, however for some reason I didn't get the job :( definitely took longer than they told me to get back to me about the decision though.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see this position as a career or something temporary?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in February 2010.

Well I applied for Macy's jobs since it was hiring. I applied for the job online and within two days I got an email that they wanted to interview me.So the interview was the very next day. I was dress up and everything. I got there about 10 mins early . I sat there waited for the manager to come. But she was on lunch break. So they had someone else to come for me. She was a sales person from the jewelry department. She was telling how and what macy was all about. and she asked me couple of questions about 5 to 6 questions. All the question sounded all the same. total time was 25 mins. She said that I didn't get the jobs and she said someone else in the department maybe call me for another position. It was a total waste of time. I was all excited for nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to make the policy better?   Answer Question
    • What if one person doesn't agree with the policy but everyone else does and so do you,what can you do to make that person agree too?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2008.

Very straight forward process. One round interview with manager. Offer was extended forty eight hours later.

Interview Questions

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!