Macy's Retail Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.1

Retail Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applying was rather easy. I filled out the form. A few days later I got an email scheduling an interview. arrived nearly 15 minute early. The interview was rather easy. It went quite well and the supervisor was ready to employ on the spot. Sadly, a problem came up on her end which ended the interview. I was told I would contacted in a few days. But it never happened.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you caught a fellow employ stealing?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was not as difficult as I thought it would be. At first I was nervous and there were other people there waiting as well for the interview but it was a simple process. They made me feel comfortable and relaxed but still maintained professionalism. I was hired the same day as my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2014.

Interview

Filled up an online questionnaire and application, received an email a day after to schedule an interview

Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Chula Vista, CA).

Interview

applied online, got a email a few days later telling me to set up a interview online. picked a interview date that was 4 days away. came in for my interview 10 min early. was interviewed by a very young lady. it was quick and to the point. was done in 10 minutes. was told that they would be in touch because they had a lot of people to interview. all the questions she asked were the ones that were posted on this site. just got a email today saying that i was not picked for the position. which is funny because i have over 6 years experience in customer service, but i am also a college student attending night school two times a week.

Interview Questions

• why Macy's? how would you celebrate a purchase? how would you get a customer to open a credit line? how would you assist a customer who wants to buy a pair of pants? how do you adapt to changing environments? tell me about a time when a co-worker was doing something unethical. how comfortable are you working on a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received an email for an interview appointment, went to the interview. Was told that all the positions were filled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Springfield, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

Received an automated email to schedule, then set up interview time by phone. Interview was two-part (interviewed with 2 managers). Many, many questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked me many questions that I've been asked in administrative, office interviews. I wasn't expecting so much scrutiny for a part-time retail job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation possible. It was an entry-level position

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied to Macy's online and within two days I received an email to schedule my interview. I scheduled my interview that same week and showed up early (which was a plus). After waiting about 15 minutes for a manager to show up, the interview process begin with the cliche question "Tell me about yourself." Needless to say, my interview went extremely well. At the conclusion of the interview, I asked the manager what was the next step. He told me that they hire on the spot and if he had a position available he would offer it to me. IF HE HAD A POSITION AVAILABLE. This was truly disappointing. After having an awesome interview he basically says I would have got the job if he had a job to give. I felt cheated. Macy's has an all year application process. The manager told me that they never want to disregard people from applying. So they "bench" good candidates which consists of putting them on a list, so that when a position becomes available, they will notify that applicant for employment. I felt that all the time and effort put in for my interview was a waste of time. I'm not sure which scenario is worse: Having a great interview and not getting the job, or having a great interview and getting a job that is not available.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Saint Petersburg, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

Personal interview following Online questionnaire and submission of resume.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you observed a sales associate making an error while serving a customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (La Mesa, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied online via their website, was e-mailed 2 days later to set up an interview. When I arrived, I was greeted several times and asked if someone had helped me yet, which I really appreciated. Waited about 10 minutes for a manager to become available to interview me. My interview was your standard screening interview and here are the questions I can remember: 1. "Why Macy's?" 2. "Describe a time where you experienced excellent customer service, and what that meant to you"? 3. Describe a time where you went out of your way to provide excellent customer service 4. What would you do if you discovered that one of your fellow associates was doing something unethical? 5. Then they asked me a questions based on one of my answers to the online personality test, which was this: You are a member of a team who is constantly breaking the rules, acts unprofessionally, and never meets their quotas, how do you attempt to resolve this issue? 6. In your past job, when something really bothered you at work such as a policy or new implementation, or something didn't necessarily turn out the way you'd planned, and your manager did nothing to resolve it, how did it affect you performance at work? That is about everything they asked me. I was not asked directly "what are your strengths, and what are your weaknesses? But as you can see, any of these questions is meant to sort those out depending on the way one answers.

Interview Questions

• In your past job, when something really bothered you at work such as a policy or new implementation, or something didn't necessarily turn out the way you'd planned, and your manager did nothing to resolve it, how did it affect you performance at work?   Answer Question
    • Then they asked me a questions based on one of my answers to the online personality test, which was this: 2) You are a member of a team who is constantly breaking the rules, acts unprofessionally, and never meets their quotas, how do you attempt to resolve this issue?   Answer Question
    • 4. What would you do if you discovered that one of your fellow associates was doing something unethical?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotioation, base pay is 8.25/hour plus 9% commission

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Bellingham, WA) in July 2010.

Interview

I was very nervous for the interview but I thought did OK. It was a one on one interview, and she asked me basic interview questions. The hiring manager who interviewed me said in response to one of my questions: 'that's exactly what I wanted to hear!' which made me feel awesome, however for some reason I didn't get the job :( definitely took longer than they told me to get back to me about the decision though.

Interview Questions

• Do you see this position as a career or something temporary?   1 Answer