Macy's

Average Difficulty
139 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tampa, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2010.

Interview Details – came to the store with resume and references. Have been interviewed right away with a Department manager and Assistant store manager. Have had a phone interview with an Account Executive from a makeup company the same day. In 3-4 days I have received a job offer. The most dynamic and quick hiring process I have ever experienced in my life.

Interview Question – What makes you the most suitable candidate for this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was happy to get an offer since did not have previous experience in this field

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Basic questions designed to ensure you're comfortable handling products and people on the sales floor. I was led to HR and asked about my experience, my ability to work with people, my thoughts on Macy's, and my knowledge of products. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – a lot of times ou customers ask for specific advice on products, and the details about them, would you be comfortable doing that?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Milford, CT

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very simple. I filled an application out online and they contacted me via email a couple days later for an interview. You get to pick which day you would like to schedule the interview, which I thought was really cool. For the interview dress professional, their dress code is all black, although not required for the interview. I didn't have any experience in retail so I was very nervous. But as long as you are honest, well spoken, and friendly the hiring manager won't hold that against you. The questions were very easy to answer, I wasn't blind sided by anything. Do research on the company and the questions asked before you show up so that you are prepared. The manager really liked me and wanted to hire me on the spot but there were no open positions at the time. She wrote down my name and number and gave me her card and told me in about two weeks she would call me when a position opened up in the woman's department. Two weeks later I called her and she had me come in for training.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macy's?   View Answer
  • How would you get a customer to open up a credit card account?   Answer Question
  • If a customer finds a part of jeans that they like how would you encourage them to complete the sale?   Answer Question
  • A time you saw a co worker doing something wrong, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Availability? Is your schedule flexible?   Answer Question

Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – be very polite once enter receptionist's area, do not come earlier than 20 min not latter then 15 min. be prepared, Do not accept any food /drink if offered - be concentrated on interview, if use table for your papers ask if you can use, do not put hands on table, look professionally but do not be cold reveal your personality

Interview Question – What I can do if client complained about other associate?   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and scheduled an interview one day later. There were a lot of behavior and situational questions asked, such as dealing with customers, working with a team, and handling conflict. My interviewer had a few calls coming in, and one time I was interrupted because she had to answer an important call. At the end of the interview, I was disappointed to learn that there were no more positions available, but hopefully I'll have more opportunities available next time.

Interview Question – Share an experience in which you had a problem that seemed impossible to solve.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I Apply online a week later after applying I receive an email to setup an interview my self. Which I was quite bit anxious because I had to wait about another week for a calendar to schedule my appointment. So I followed as instructed to check daily for an open day. Once I set up my interview I arrived 15minutes early I also dressed as I was ready to work for them (all black) i figure that it will give me the chances to get the position. As a matter fact it did, my interviewer was very impressed with it (sed that I was ready to work all I needed was a badge with my name) interview only took about 15 to 20minutes everything is based on how fast and accurate are your answers. I previously had experienced for the position so my interview was quite fast. The questions were more about previous customer experience examples and outcome of situations. Overall I made 2 generate questions to demonstrate my interest in the position. That was a plus because the interviewer offered me the position.

Interview Question – -How would you encourage customers to open a Macy's credit card account.
- How will you convince a customer to continue shopping in the store. (shopping experience )
- tell me of a time and how did you handle a situation were you seen a customer or employees doing something dishonest (loss prevention or stealing )
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Base on my experience.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an e-mail telling me to schedule an appointment. I scheduled the appointment. I arrived the interview 10 minutes earlier and had to check in with a guy at the desk. I sat down and waited for someone to call my name. They called me and read off of a piece of paper and wrote down what I was saying on the piece of paper. After the questioning was over I asked the guy that interviewed me about how long will it be before I know I received an offer for the job. He was honest (well I think he was being honest) and he said that there were no open positions for the job that I applied for, but he told me that I was a strong candidate and if any positions opened anytime soon he would contact me.
He kept asking me to confirm my number and email so he could contact me if there were any openings.

Interview Question – How would you sell a pair of jeans?   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, two days later interviewed in the WalnutCreek store. It went great- I had a rapport with the lady and she commented on leadership. Then I received an automatic email stating that my salary on my application was inappropriate, though I stated I'd be flexible. Pay hadn't been discussed.

Interview Question – What was a time you had to address a co-worker or friend doing something wrong or against the rules? What did you do?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – phone call where they do their interview with basic interview questions about what you would or wouldn't do in certain situations and then was told someone would be in touch regarding whether or not the job was to be offered. Got the phone call within an hour.

Interview Question – What would you do to make someone come back if they got the perfect pair of pants at your store?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a pre-established base hourly pay

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Really quick fifteen minute interview, she asked about experience and how i would handle certain situations, and what i think has helped me prepare for the job. went over job requirements as well and double checked if i would be able to complete them

Interview Question – How would you handle a rude or disruptive customer without making the situation worse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The interviewer told me my pay and my department and that was that

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Retail Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 139 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.