Macy's

Average Difficulty
146 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Niles, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – . i had the interview on 23rd of july 2014. the interview was really easy and on the spot they hired me .Also told me to attend the training on 25th and 26th of july ,2014 and the next day onwards i started my job. there was prior experience on this position for me as my subject was different.

Negotiation Details – be calm and tell whatever you like.

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2010.

Interview Details – Most interviews take less then 30 min. and they do almost all communication by email so don't call the store because they will direct you to check your email this should include your spam because sometimes it goes there. Unless they want you to interview with a manager from another department or your interviewing for a beauty consultant it is a one interview process. Most offers are made at the end of that first interview unless they need to second and you should get an email with in a week of the interview letting you know the hiring managers decision.

Interview Question – They often ask you to sell them a product by role playing and this can happen in he office or out on the sales floor.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – A lot of selling positions start at min. wage. If you have a couple years or you want them to match what your current employer is paying you then you must ask t the time they make an offer. Raises are on performance based yearly and not that big if you don't move up.

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Sunday evening, got an email on Monday to set up an interview, interviewed on Wednesday and was offered a job two hours after the interview. The whole process was very fast, which was nice for me having just left my other job.

Everyone was friendly. I showed up ten minutes early, and started my interview on schedule. The interviewer was very nice and I felt no pressure. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was told I would receive an email letting me know if they could find a match for me.

Two hours later, I got a phone call from one of the managers offering me a position!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to help someone with a complicated problem and it turned out well.   View Answer
  • Explain a time when you could not convince someone of something (they just said, "No. No. No." to everything you offered), and how it turned out.   View Answer
  • Other questions were generic: "Why Macy's?" "Explain a time you worked on a project with multiple people and how it went." Etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation.

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, answered a questionnaire on behavioral/situational things. Emailed a few weeks later and asked to pick an interview time. I arrived 15 mins early and used the specified phone to let them know of my arrival and they said they would be with me shortly. My interview was at 11 am, I was not called in until 11:55. The interviewer looked bored and stared around the room as I spoke. In the end, it was all just a waste of time; she said they wanted to hire me but there aren't any jobs available. I was pretty mad at how unprofessional the company and the employees were. If you don't want to hire someone be forward with them.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?
How would sell a pair jeans?
Name a time when you had work with a coworker to solve a problem?
  Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online around the Holidays. The application was pretty standard. Was called for an interview a couple of days later and met with a manager. After a brief interview that was basically what department do you want to work in, I was offered a position. It was pretty easy, but they were hiring for the holidays so that was probably why. Mostly they want to know that you will push their credit card and try to reach your sales goal.

Interview Question – Asked what my sales background was   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The interview process was very organized and detailed. There was a lot of communication throughout the process which helped and made things easy. The employees were very helpful also.

Downey, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email the next day inviting me for an interview it took me a week to get a time slot you have to schedule yourself had a 1 on 1 interview buy the human resources manager and it only took 25 min and I was told they were going to bench my application until another position becomes open !!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for macys?   Answer Question

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I came in for an interview for retail sales. It was short and to the point and fairly straightforward. I read up on all the questions on this website and went in very prepared. The only thing is that due to my past leadership experience, my interviewer set up an interview for me for another position instead, which I did not receive in part because I had no clue what it was. Overall the process ended up being quite confusing, but everyone I interacted with was professional and enjoyable to be around. Ultimately I found a position elsewhere, and I got some solid interview experience from Macy's.

Interview Question – There were no terribly unexpected questions. When I ended up interviewing to be a stylist of some sort for them they asked me what my favorite trend is right now which I was not prepared for. Whoops!   Answer Question

Milford, CT

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very simple. I filled an application out online and they contacted me via email a couple days later for an interview. You get to pick which day you would like to schedule the interview, which I thought was really cool. For the interview dress professional, their dress code is all black, although not required for the interview. I didn't have any experience in retail so I was very nervous. But as long as you are honest, well spoken, and friendly the hiring manager won't hold that against you. The questions were very easy to answer, I wasn't blind sided by anything. Do research on the company and the questions asked before you show up so that you are prepared. The manager really liked me and wanted to hire me on the spot but there were no open positions at the time. She wrote down my name and number and gave me her card and told me in about two weeks she would call me when a position opened up in the woman's department. Two weeks later I called her and she had me come in for training.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macy's?   View Answer
  • How would you get a customer to open up a credit card account?   Answer Question
  • If a customer finds a part of jeans that they like how would you encourage them to complete the sale?   Answer Question
  • A time you saw a co worker doing something wrong, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Availability? Is your schedule flexible?   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2010.

Interview Details – came to the store with resume and references. Have been interviewed right away with a Department manager and Assistant store manager. Have had a phone interview with an Account Executive from a makeup company the same day. In 3-4 days I have received a job offer. The most dynamic and quick hiring process I have ever experienced in my life.

Interview Question – What makes you the most suitable candidate for this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was happy to get an offer since did not have previous experience in this field

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!