Macy's

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hanover, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was told in an email to come for an interview. They didn't know I was coming, but accommodated me with an interview anyway. The interview was with the highest manager (not sure of exact title) and it was pretty informal. She asked me some quick questions and was excited to hire me because this would be my first job. They offered me the job within 20 minutes.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would sell an item to a customer, even though the job I was interviewing for had nothing to do with sales.   Answer Question

Burlington, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted via email to schedule an interview. I set one up for the next day. I had to wait a few minutes for the previous interview to finish up, and then I was greeted by the manager who would be interviewing me. Instead of having me sit down to interview we walked around the store and she asked me questions. They were pretty basic such as why I wanted to work for macy's, and she asked me to describe different situations I had encountered working before. It was really pretty simple. I dressed in black slacks and nice shirt.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe a situation where I saw another employee bending the rules and how I reacted to it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She just told me the hourly rate they offered.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – My first interview that was scheduled was canceled by Macy's, so I rescheduled another for a different position. Showed up 15 minutes early, was out of the interviewer's office right at my scheduled interview time. I was asked seven questions, I don't remember them all exactly but I tried my best to answer them with confidence. Stumbled over two, but my interviewer was very friendly and didn't seem to mind too much. I feel the interview went pretty well honestly, but I think my start date is what is going to hinder me from getting this job. Just go in, be confident, smile, and always shake hands both before and after the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you worked independently without constant supervision or direction.   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online,next day I recieved an email asking me to pick a day for an interview..It actually took one week for the interview days to be posted. The next week i had my interview with a manager. She asked a few questions then hired me right on the spot. Back ground checks last a week then they call you for training. My title was a merchandiser so my shift is from 5am-1:30 or 5am to 9am. She offered me to be an oncall position since i go to college but the workers at macy's said it's because they don't want to give ther employees benefits. I barely work any hours during the holidays and summer sometimes two days out of the weeks or zero days out of the week.

Interview Question – Describe a time where a team member wasn't pulling their own weight what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no choice she said she counld only offer 8.50

Fairview, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed yesterday for a job at Macy's. This was my first ever job interview so I didn't know quite what to expect but I had read posts on here so I thought I had somewhat of an idea. The interview did not go as planned however. I was not asked any of the typical questions you might expect-- i.e. Why Macy's?; What are your strengths/weaknesses?; customer service questions; What would you do if you saw a fellow employee stealing?
In fact I was hardly asked any questions and the entire interview lasted literally about 10 minutes. The person I interviewed with was nice enough but didn't seem overly interested in talking with me or seriously considering me for the position. I think the main issue was that I wasn't looking at this as a long term job prospect or a career path. Anyway, I haven't officially been told 'no' but after reflecting back on everything, I'm definitely not expecting a job offer. I was told I would be contacted later the same day and that didn't happen so...

San Bernardino, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – Arrived at the office about 10 min ahead of schedule and waited about 45 minutes since the lady was busy. A guy was already waiting to be interviewed for the same position. Interview questions were read from a sheet of paper. One question was basically asked twice, the second was reworded from the first so I just answered it the same. Some examples are Why Macys? Team environment vs. working alone? What do you think the job entails? When have you seen something unethical done and what did you do? What would you do if a team member wasn't holding up his end? etc. Three weeks later I got an email saying thanks but no thanks.

Interview Question – Why Macys?   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on the 3rd. I received an e-mail the next day, inviting me to schedule an interview. There were no open time slots. I checked several times a day, every day, until the 11th, when there was a timeslot for the 21st.
They were prompt to call me out of the waiting room (after reading several other interview reviews, I was surprised). The woman appeared to be looking for someone to interview me. Or at least a place to interview me, because she ended up asking me to sit at a desk in the hallway (the desk was meant for people to apply within the store). I thought she just wanted me to wait there, but she returned after a moment and sat down next to me at the desk. She took several minutes looking over my application and looking over her questions. She asked me only about four questions. I asked my questions. Then she told me that she would keep my information on file but they had no position to offer me, meaning the position had been filled (because it was very much open when I applied). Complete waste of my time.
They offer interviews to far too many people. I had read several Glass Door interview reviews that were negative. I should have heeded the warnings. :/

Interview Question – Describe a time when you witnessed a coworker or classmate do something wrong. What did you do?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

Interview Details – Let me start of by saying that I came to this website prior to my interview and found everything stated on here to be true so I had an idea of what to expect but did not think it would really happen. I applied on-line for the part-time position and that same day, I received an email to set up an interview. The day of my interview, I arrived early and found the AST office closed. Another interviewee had arrived before me and she had notified an employee. Every employee that passed by smiled courteously and informed someone else of our presence outside the office. I noticed that although they were friendly to us, they were not the same way with their co-workers. Finally, two office assistants arrived and to our surprise, the person in charge of interviewing for the available position had been absent for what seemed like a couple of days and they immediately scrambled to get anyone. In the end, I was interviewed by a Sales Associate who read questions straight from a paper and took notes of my answers. She was a pleasant person but unfortunately could not provide me with acurate information concerning the position. However, she did inform me that the interview went well but her only concern was my availability (I needed to be more flexible because at least once a month I would have to work the whole day if necessary).

Interview Questions

• Why Macy's?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and a member was not collaborating, what did you do and what was the outcome?   View Answer
  • Give me an example where you were asked to do something unethical, what did you do and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Support Retail Associate Interview

North Wales, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an email stating to come in for an interview a day or two later. The interview itself went very quickly, which is fine for me. Most of the interview consisted of discussing the position and the hours. They would be early, early morning, which I did not mind. I wondered what the pay was and the interviewer brought in another woman to discuss the position further, telling me it was seven and a quarter. Despite low pay, the hours and early morning shift...I was genuinely excited to work for Macy's, a store I like a lot. But I soon found a better position, pay and hours.

Interview Question – Why Macy's?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – While waiting for a decision over the next few days from Macy's, I got a call for an interview with another company that was better overall.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Macy's position in cosmetics, and got an e-mail that encouraged me to apply for a retail support associate. I applied for that as well, and received an e-mail saying I should schedule an interview online. I scheduled one for a week later, and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. I had a very friendly and courteous manager interview me and she said she would get back to me within 24-48 hours. I am still waiting to hear back; I just interviewed this afternoon.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Retail Support Associate interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.