Macy's Retail Support Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

1.8

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Eau Claire, WI
Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and interviewed in the store. HR was "impressed" that I showed up early for my appointment. I interviewed with the manager of the support department. Basic, simple questions with no surprises. The only surprise was that the manager lowballed the wage offer from 9.50/hr as I was lead to believe down to 8-8.50/hr. About three hours after the interview HR called me to offer the job, but lowballed me again with an offer of 7.50/hr and I contested that I was lead to believe it would be higher. HR then offered about 8.15/hr and said she would speak with the manager and he would call me back. He never called me back for a whole week, so I called HR. HR said "Oh that's strange, I'll have him call you first thing on Monday when he's back." Monday...Tuesday...Wednesday...no call back.
I guess the moral of the story is don't try to negotiate with them or you won't get the job.

Interview Questions
  • The only trick here is not to negotiate your starting wage. Apparently they have plenty of college students/retirees willing to work for pennies on your dollar.   Answer Question

They lowballed me with the starting wage.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

I applied online, received the email to schedule my interview the next day. I didn't schedule my interview until a week or two after I received the email. I went in 20 minutes early dressed very professional. I heard multiple interviews going on at the time I got there. One manager came out to get me. The interview was relatively short and I was hired on the spot! I was surprised by how fast and easy it was.

Interview Questions
    • This interview was the easiest I have ever had. There was nothing that I did not expect. It was very easy.   Answer Question

I declined because I am a college student. As a support retail associate, I would need to go in very early and that will not work out for me since I would need to go to school right after.

Retail Support Associate Interview

Came in for a 11:00 interview, wasn't interviewed until 11:45. Another manager from a different store gave me an interview. Questions were pretty straight forward. I got hired on the spot and i accepted. I start training in the next couple of days. The best part is i'm getting started with 9.50 an hour.

Didn't have to negotiate, everything was pretty much acceptable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Applied online and was emailed the next day to schedule an interview. Process took a week to get the actual interview, then waited another week for training. Once you are in the system youll be guided through the rest. The people are very nice so you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. But If I had to choose I would say it was when they gave me a scenario of what to do if im working and customers are around. Basically they are looking to see if you are aware that customers are ALWAYS PRIORITY. You keep that in mind.   View Answer
    close to minimum wage..I Took it to help build my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Applied online and received and email in about a week to schedule an interview in the store. When I arrived at the executive offices they were very friendly. During the interview I was asked about my past work experience and my availability. I was asked basic workplace scenario questions like, "what would you do if you saw a coworker stealing?" and "name a time when you overcame a difficult situation and how did you handle it?" I was offered the position on the spot and was told I would be called back for training once my background check was processed. It took about 2 weeks for the background check to come back and I was scheduled for training, which was hours of computer based modules.

No negotiation

Retail Support Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online, and received an automated e-mail with setting up an interview date and time. There was not a long time to wait, and I was interviewed along with someone else for the same position. Unfortunately the other person was offered something based on the times they had available.

Interview Questions
    • I was given sort of a scenario, where I was to tell about a time when I had to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Process took about 2 weeks. Interview went very well. Questions were very detailed about how my past jobs helped me show my leadership abilities. The lady who interviewed me was very nice. Offered me a job right on the spot.

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

I applied online for a job being a retail support associate. They sent me an email that they would call me soon. I never received a phone call after a week so I contacted them to call me for an interview. They finally called me a week after that but they never called me again to let me know if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your coworker wasn't doing their share of the work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hanover, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2011.

I applied online and was told in an email to come for an interview. They didn't know I was coming, but accommodated me with an interview anyway. The interview was with the highest manager (not sure of exact title) and it was pretty informal. She asked me some quick questions and was excited to hire me because this would be my first job. They offered me the job within 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would sell an item to a customer, even though the job I was interviewing for had nothing to do with sales.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

I was initially contacted via email to schedule an interview. I set one up for the next day. I had to wait a few minutes for the previous interview to finish up, and then I was greeted by the manager who would be interviewing me. Instead of having me sit down to interview we walked around the store and she asked me questions. They were pretty basic such as why I wanted to work for macy's, and she asked me to describe different situations I had encountered working before. It was really pretty simple. I dressed in black slacks and nice shirt.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a situation where I saw another employee bending the rules and how I reacted to it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. She just told me the hourly rate they offered.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!