Macy's

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Nashua, NH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received and email in about a week to schedule an interview in the store. When I arrived at the executive offices they were very friendly. During the interview I was asked about my past work experience and my availability. I was asked basic workplace scenario questions like, "what would you do if you saw a coworker stealing?" and "name a time when you overcame a difficult situation and how did you handle it?" I was offered the position on the spot and was told I would be called back for training once my background check was processed. It took about 2 weeks for the background check to come back and I was scheduled for training, which was hours of computer based modules.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult coworker?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Retail Support Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online, and received an automated e-mail with setting up an interview date and time. There was not a long time to wait, and I was interviewed along with someone else for the same position. Unfortunately the other person was offered something based on the times they had available.

Interview Question – I was given sort of a scenario, where I was to tell about a time when I had to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process took about 2 weeks. Interview went very well. Questions were very detailed about how my past jobs helped me show my leadership abilities. The lady who interviewed me was very nice. Offered me a job right on the spot.

Interview Question – How do your past jobs show your leadership abilities?   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for a job being a retail support associate. They sent me an email that they would call me soon. I never received a phone call after a week so I contacted them to call me for an interview. They finally called me a week after that but they never called me again to let me know if I got the job or not.

Interview Question – What would you do if your coworker wasn't doing their share of the work?   Answer Question

Hanover, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was told in an email to come for an interview. They didn't know I was coming, but accommodated me with an interview anyway. The interview was with the highest manager (not sure of exact title) and it was pretty informal. She asked me some quick questions and was excited to hire me because this would be my first job. They offered me the job within 20 minutes.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would sell an item to a customer, even though the job I was interviewing for had nothing to do with sales.   Answer Question

Burlington, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted via email to schedule an interview. I set one up for the next day. I had to wait a few minutes for the previous interview to finish up, and then I was greeted by the manager who would be interviewing me. Instead of having me sit down to interview we walked around the store and she asked me questions. They were pretty basic such as why I wanted to work for macy's, and she asked me to describe different situations I had encountered working before. It was really pretty simple. I dressed in black slacks and nice shirt.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe a situation where I saw another employee bending the rules and how I reacted to it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She just told me the hourly rate they offered.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Interview Details – My first interview that was scheduled was canceled by Macy's, so I rescheduled another for a different position. Showed up 15 minutes early, was out of the interviewer's office right at my scheduled interview time. I was asked seven questions, I don't remember them all exactly but I tried my best to answer them with confidence. Stumbled over two, but my interviewer was very friendly and didn't seem to mind too much. I feel the interview went pretty well honestly, but I think my start date is what is going to hinder me from getting this job. Just go in, be confident, smile, and always shake hands both before and after the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you worked independently without constant supervision or direction.   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online,next day I recieved an email asking me to pick a day for an interview..It actually took one week for the interview days to be posted. The next week i had my interview with a manager. She asked a few questions then hired me right on the spot. Back ground checks last a week then they call you for training. My title was a merchandiser so my shift is from 5am-1:30 or 5am to 9am. She offered me to be an oncall position since i go to college but the workers at macy's said it's because they don't want to give ther employees benefits. I barely work any hours during the holidays and summer sometimes two days out of the weeks or zero days out of the week.

Interview Question – Describe a time where a team member wasn't pulling their own weight what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no choice she said she counld only offer 8.50

Fairview, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed yesterday for a job at Macy's. This was my first ever job interview so I didn't know quite what to expect but I had read posts on here so I thought I had somewhat of an idea. The interview did not go as planned however. I was not asked any of the typical questions you might expect-- i.e. Why Macy's?; What are your strengths/weaknesses?; customer service questions; What would you do if you saw a fellow employee stealing?
In fact I was hardly asked any questions and the entire interview lasted literally about 10 minutes. The person I interviewed with was nice enough but didn't seem overly interested in talking with me or seriously considering me for the position. I think the main issue was that I wasn't looking at this as a long term job prospect or a career path. Anyway, I haven't officially been told 'no' but after reflecting back on everything, I'm definitely not expecting a job offer. I was told I would be contacted later the same day and that didn't happen so...

San Bernardino, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details – Arrived at the office about 10 min ahead of schedule and waited about 45 minutes since the lady was busy. A guy was already waiting to be interviewed for the same position. Interview questions were read from a sheet of paper. One question was basically asked twice, the second was reworded from the first so I just answered it the same. Some examples are Why Macys? Team environment vs. working alone? What do you think the job entails? When have you seen something unethical done and what did you do? What would you do if a team member wasn't holding up his end? etc. Three weeks later I got an email saying thanks but no thanks.

Interview Question – Why Macys?   Answer Question

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!