Macy's

Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.7

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and got an email requesting an interview then next day. The process was really quick and easy, really basic. It's not hard at all. The job is a total shoe-in :)

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work for us? What would you do if you saw another associate stealing?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Pretty straight forward one on one interview. But for cosmetics there are two interviews one with a counter manager and one with the cosmetics manager. She was basically just explaining what our duties where and talking about the different lines of makeup the store has. She set me up with an interview with the manager of cosmetics later that week. The second interview was light she was just asking about my avaliability and what counter I would like to work at.Then after I filled out some papers and had to come in next week for training.

Depends on your experience. Cosmetic associates get commission as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online and got an interview. Interview went well & was invited to a second interview. The woman said that the manager from the cosmetics counter would give me a call in a couple days to set up the interview. Called a week or two later to check in about it & couldn't get ahold of anyone. Left two messages throughout the week and never got called back. About a month and a half later, I went in to the counter that I was supposed to interview for and asked the associate about my situation. She told me that it took them 8 weeks to call her and not to worry about it. Never got a call. This was months ago. Don't tell people that they have a second interview and then never call them. Very unprofessional.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Macy's is a very nice clean store where they assist you kindly and straight to the point.
    Very comfortable place and very friendly. But all of that can mislead you to over confidence that you got the job. They make it seem like you're right and are a right candidate but then decline so so positive but don't over think it.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer only wants to buy lipstick how would you get them to buy something other then that?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Applies online. Got interview appt 2 days later. Initial interview was fine. Nothing hard. Was told I was exactly what they were looking for and was excited to have me. At close of interview I asked when I would hear back. I was told next week sometime. By Friday of next week nothing. I called back. Another interview with counter executive for the following week "sometime" Tuesday following week executive called. Very rude. Said I would hear back by end of week from original interviewer. Never heard from either person. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • You do realize this is a very demanding and high pressure job?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Hiring process has taken almost 4 weeks including multiple in person and phone interviews. Interview questions ranged from professional experience to experience being involved with a team. Overall pleasant experience yet unsatisfied with the length of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a past experience when dealing with a difficult person and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

After applying online I received an email to scheduled an interview date online. The only time available was a week later. At the interview I was told that the position had been filled and asked me if I would be interested in another department which I wasn't interested in. She said she would bench my application to be considered for future openings.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a customer on opening up a Macy's account?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

I applied online, which was the most difficult and outrageous process I've ever come across, namely the personality test. Most of the 300+ questions on the test were very strange and almost impossible to answer. A few that stick out in my head are "A good manager disciplines employees who don't have good sales numbers", "A good manager will threaten not giving a raise to make employees work harder" "Whats more important, the details or the big picture?" "My coworkers always know how I am feeling" "The facts are more important than the results?" "If I know my boss is wrong I will correct them" and lots of other weird questions that don't really have a good answer either way, all while repeatedly reminding you that the test cant be cheated & that you will be asked questions different ways to weed out those of you who aren't being honest. After taking the more than 3 hours to complete the entire application process, I got an email for me to schedule a time to come in for an interview, I selected the first one available. I went upstairs to the Management area and sat for quite a long time (45 mins) before finally being brought in for the interview. The interview went really well, the interviewer was very nice, it was mainly asking questions about myself & going over some of the questions on the personality test they wanted to ask me again. I looked up information on the personality test I took and found out it is designed to find employers perfect replicas of their top earning employee, and once completed the tester will send a personalized recommendation of "Recommended hire, recommended with hesitation, and Not recommended". So no matter how you answer the questions, if you're not similar to their best earners in personality, you will not be hired. Also, your application info & results are sent to the cosmetic brands they sell for review of the person applying and get a big say so on whether or not you're hired, all without even meeting you.

Interview Questions
    • What's more important, the details or the big picture?   View Answer

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

I heard about the job through CraigsList and applied online. Was called in for a interview right before Thanksgiving 2013. Interview was professional. She asked a lot of questions about why I wanted to work in cosmetics and my previous job experience. I've had a lot of customer service experience but didn't have and cosmetics experience at the time. I've always been a creative and artistic person, so I explained my art background and how it relates to cosmetics. I agreed to at least a year commitment and I was hired as a Cosmetics Floater (Flex) on the spot. Started work the day after Black Friday. Two months later I was hired as a Permanent Part-Time Consultant for a cosmetics line.

Interview Questions
    I agreed to minimum wage plus tips. Got a small raise (50 cents) when I was hired by a line and get a 3% commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in December 2012.

Went in for an interview after applying online, was asked what I purchase in cosmetics and if I shopped there. It was a seasonal position and I was hired five minutes later. I think they hire seasonal associates to shop there which is fine with me because you do get 30% off the entire store, plus 50% off during back office sales.

Interview Questions
    • How would I sell my most favorite product.   View Answer