Macy's

Getting the Interview

707 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – The day after applying to Macy's, I received an e-mail asking me to come in for an interview. They were late getting me in, but the rest of the interview wasn't too bad. It was just the usual questions, like "why do you want to work for Macy's" and "can you tell me about a time you and a team had to solve a difficult problem". The girl who interviewed me was very nice and made the experience enjoyable.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to help a friend with an unfamiliar or unexpected problem.   Answer Question

Garden City, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online then got an email a couple days later to schedule an interview. The interviewer didn't seem too thrilled or all that personable. She was polite, but the only things she really said to me were the questions. She read the questions from a sheet and would write my answers down.

Interview Question – When has someone you know had an unexpected problem and what did you do?   Answer Question

Pasadena, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

Interview Details – Easy going, very friendly people. Actually help you with any questions and make you feel very comfortable right off the bat!

Interview Question – No difficult question just your usual, "how would you handle a difficult customer" etc. like interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They ask what position/department you'd be interested and then afterwards they offer what is available, and then you go from there!

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Got a written application from store (chance to scope out the personnel department, read bulletin boards, ck store employees appearances). Submitted, call back for interview within one week, Interview was essentially to see if you would "fit in" - did you dress appropriately, speak reasonably well, seem intelligent, value hard work, have some kind of
customer service background (any kind was ok, people made up stuff). Two days later offered choice of 2 departments and started within a week.

Interview Question – Pretty standard- they did check out criminal background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on money/time etc- this was a sales associate position, heavy turnover
and handled very politely but it was take it or leave it-

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – I had applied online within the deadline and the following day I received an email stating I needed to adjust my availability for the position within five business days. I went on their system to do so the next day, and I was unable to make any changes to the application. After spending hours trying to locate the HR Department for help, I found their email address and explained the situation. They came back with an email stating the job posting had closed and I would have to re-apply. Very unethical on their part and I'm thinking of reporting them.

Oak Brook, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online, they send you an email with a link to set your own interview time. Interview was pretty detailed. A lot of questions.

Interview Question – How do you feel about crabby co workers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage. some departments are base plus commission.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I decided to apply here as a last resort; I have been job hunting for years in my field of graphic design and have found nothing but small projects. I was still nervous in my interview but I knew that I was perfectly capable to handle the job. She asked standard questions and she said that she liked my answers and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – She asked if I had ever worked as part of a team on something difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations; I was paid a few pennies higher than minimum wage. My hiring manager apologized for that and I was so caught off guard by it that I just smiled and accepted it.

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Daly City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – To be honest, I haven't been interviewed at this store for the past several years since I have been coming in and out for several years now. However, I remember some of the questions that were asked several years ago.
1) Why do you want to work at Macy's?
2) If you find a problem at work with another co-worker, what would you do?
3) You noticed your co-worker was stealing from the company, what would you do?
4) If you noticed there was a broken elevator and a customer with a wheel chair wants to go up to the next level, what can you do to provide outstanding service?
5) You have a long line during the sale, you have angry customers waiting to be served, what would you do? Would you say something? If so, what?
6) You noticed a customer is acting suspicious, what would you do to prevent theft?

Interview Question – 1) Simple. Just tell them why you want to work at Macys.
2) Talk to your manager or directly talk it out with a co worker and if it doesn't work, discuss this situation with your manager.
3) Let my manager/loss prevention know.
4) Not sure.
5) Thank you for waiting.
6) call LP!
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Swansea, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email asking to come for an interview. I interviewed well. The interviewer was nice and liked the way I answered questions. The only part that she did not like was that I am religious. She said that she would have hired me if it was not for it. They discriminated against me due to religion. Never buying any of their products again.

Interview Question – The questions were straightforward.   Answer Question

Huntington, WV

I interviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is nothing to worry about. You will come in for a brief interview. They will ask several questions about yourself. As well as questions about your work experience.

Interview Question – The most difficult question to prepare for is: What is your weakness   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's