Macy's

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

East Brunswick, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the HR Manager and the Store Manager/VP, both were extremely nice and very informative regarding the position. I was told that I would hear from the Administrative Assistant the following week regarding a 2nd interview. When I hadn't heard from her by that Friday, I called, and left a detailed message on her voice mail, asking her to either call me back or drop me an e-mail regarding my status. A week later, I still have not received either. I would have thought that a company such as Macy's, would send a follow up e-mail to people they interviewed, saying "thank you for your time, but we are considering other candidates whose experience is better suited to the position." Only takes a minute, no discussion involved, yet lets the candidate know that they are not interested.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were directly related to the job description and the skills and competencies needed.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in July 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews with different levels of management. Initial phone interview, then to sales manager, then to assistant store manager, then to store manager and final with member of district management team.

Interview Question – How would you sell this.....whatever was on interviewers desk. Paperclip for mine. Questions not difficult. Culture is about providing magical experience for their customers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Monetary compensation to pay for health insurance which doesn't start until 6 months after hire date.

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – One interview with store manager and assistant store manager. Questions were very general and short interview lasted about 20 minutes. My impression of the company and management was good, seemed like a fun place to work. I was offered the job 2 days later. They would not negotiate salary. When I tried they told me that with my bonuses I would be at my desired salary. Bonuses were cut for all Sales managers after 6 months of my employment.

Interview Question – How would you, diplomatically solve a bad situation between a customer and a sales associate when you know the sales person is in the right.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate salary.

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – They just hire anyone with a decent availability. They don't ask many questions, common customer scenarios. It's all about selling and customer satisfaction. Nothing about what you want to pursue.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Can't negotiate, they care more for themselves than the associate.

Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Being hired from a college career fair I went through one interview on my college campus. I was passed on to the second round where Macy's flew students out to on site interviews that lasted two days and included four interviews that were a mix between group exercises and one on one interviews.

Interview Question – Macy's has you take assessments and chooses questions that you may have been on the fence with to interview you on. You are made to choose one extreme or the other in order to finish one of interviews.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in December 2010.

Interview Details – Three interviews. Process took about 2.5 wks. The company HR was extremely friendly, timely and genuinely cared and appreciated my personal time spent interviewing. I met and was introduced to everyone I came in contact with along the process...did I say they were friendly?....I applied online first and also was recommended by another employee.

Interview Question – I was asked what my management style was like and what I thought made a strong leader.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They made me a very good offer and I accepted.

Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online, the next day i got a call from the store manager to setup an interview, 2 days later went to the store for the interview, had 2 rounds - 1 with HR and another with store manager. HR round was very professional - focused on skills and behavior. 2 days later got a call with the job offer

Interview Question – None. They are all behavioral based questions so they just look for the best response possible   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered too less, negotiated for about a week with 3 different people and then finally got a revised job offer that i ended up accepting

Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I already worked for the company as a sales asscociate. The interview clearly differed by each store manager and HR manager, but it was rather difficult when I interviewed - the questions were not overly hard, but they required thought. Both managers were more than willing to allow me time to think about my answer, but its very clear that this will vary by store.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Very obvious that a company like this can afford anyone at the absurdly low minimum rate for the job, and I had no room to discuss it.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interviewing process is very inconsistent. The quality of applicants is at a minimal due to the very low entrance rate. The associate interview is very basic to seeking out a selling behaviors. The management interview is more tailored to the coaching and development of the associates and what ideas that individual can bring to Macy's which can elevate sales.

Interview Question – For a sales associate it would be "What would you do to make the initial approach to a stranger?" For a sales manager it would be, "What methods would you use to coach an associate who has been a low performer for a number of time?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked what I currently made and what I am looking for. Then they explain the different ranks of management and their pay scale.

Sales Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in April 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the is position from a Macys development program. In the interview I was asked a lot about engagement and development of team. There was also a focus on teamwork. Macys has very detailed training for its associates and managers, so you don't need to come in trying to reinvent the wheel. They are looking for personality, engagement and ability to adapt to their culture. My advice would be "Be Yourself." If they see a spark in you, they can develop it.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected because I came from Macys. They will ask about:
Making a connection
Teamwork
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but I know others have, especially when it comes to relocation.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!