Macy's

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.8

Sales Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

They call you or send you emails, I was called twice by Macy's in different locations of NY and they are very professional and make some questions and they call me for a second interview but I did not get a courtesy phone call to say thank you but no thank you. whats that all about?

Interview Questions
  • What was the most difficult situation as a manager as how did you react?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

precise system of interviewing and hiring,one must pass the taleo test,then you are invited for a screening interview in person,if you pass ,you are invited to go to the next interview

Interview Questions
    • what did you not like about your last position   View Answer
    generally to be expected

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

The interview was in a group setting. That will determine if you move on to the next round or not. Make sure to stand out. Be aggressive and talk over others.

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
    Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

The first half of the interview was based on a hypothetical situation involving 4 different sales associates. You were tasked with answering who you would train to be a better salesman and your thought process behind why you chose who you did.

The second part was more of a traditional interview. It was about your work schedule and about stuff you've done in the past.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I was contacted to interview for a Asst. Store manager position at a store farther away even though I applied for one here in my City. The manager said it wasn't available but they did have a sales manager position there. I agreed to interview for that one 2 days later.
    I arrived early and took a stroll around the entire store ready to be able to critique it when asked (any experienced hiring manager should ask that question to a prospective sales manager). I was very early so I headed upstairs where I overheard my hiring manager talking to another manager about a "cute Hispanic girl" she just interviewed and she loved her energy and that she wanted THAT girl (and she asked the other manager "don't you agree?!")
    I should have just walked out at that point because I knew this woman would not be open to my interview or the answers I had... I spent the first 10 minutes describing how I single handedly brought together various people together to work on a project I created for the City and the less fortunate families, which just so happen to include the store manager from another sister store. Focusing on my ability to not only identify a problem, observe the situation, come up with a solution and implement that solution by working as a team (obviously as the leader of such team)
    She then said "oh, I see that you worked in an office... You don't work very often with people do you".
    Very frustrating. I felt this woman was completely closed off and didn't hear a word I said. Worse, she asked nothing about my positions (one is pretty impressive) and nothing about my education (one of my degrees happen to be social studies, concentrating on Psychology) I understand how people think and how they will react to situations.
    She had no creative questions, they were all pre-printed in front of her. One of the questions was where do I see myself 5 years from now. Obviously I told her that I'd like to be given increasing responsibility hopefully within this company, learning every facet I can in order to move up to store manager. I mentioned that I appreciated the opportunity to have interviewed for the other position as store asst manager at X mall where she flat out lied to my face saying she never mentioned it. (Did I pull that information out of the air then?)
    I understand that hiring managers usually look for applicants that closely mirror themselves, and in this instance it's a shame, she will end up hiring that girl and they will continue with the status quo at that store. You should always strive to surround yourself with those that would make you and the company successful... And not worry about who might be too good and take over your job.
    I've interviewed for management in this company before and am well aware of the practices. You interview with one person, then they stick you in a room and interview with the 2nd. She said on a Friday afternoon during our interview that the next round of interviews were being held Monday and then let me walk out the door. (Have a nice day!)

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years   View Answer
    • What do you do about conflict
      (This should have been "how do you handle conflict between 2 associates")

View Answer
    • What type of manager do you think you will be.   View Answer
    • What do you know about this company   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Had one scheduled interview with the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager. Was a very pleasant experience and more of a conversation than a formal interview. The store manager was very up front about the expectations and challenges of the role.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. A lot of situational questions (i.e. Tell me a time when...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

I interviewed with the HR Manager and the Store Manager/VP, both were extremely nice and very informative regarding the position. I was told that I would hear from the Administrative Assistant the following week regarding a 2nd interview. When I hadn't heard from her by that Friday, I called, and left a detailed message on her voice mail, asking her to either call me back or drop me an e-mail regarding my status. A week later, I still have not received either. I would have thought that a company such as Macy's, would send a follow up e-mail to people they interviewed, saying "thank you for your time, but we are considering other candidates whose experience is better suited to the position." Only takes a minute, no discussion involved, yet lets the candidate know that they are not interested.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were directly related to the job description and the skills and competencies needed.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

One interview with store manager and assistant store manager. Questions were very general and short interview lasted about 20 minutes. My impression of the company and management was good, seemed like a fun place to work. I was offered the job 2 days later. They would not negotiate salary. When I tried they told me that with my bonuses I would be at my desired salary. Bonuses were cut for all Sales managers after 6 months of my employment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you, diplomatically solve a bad situation between a customer and a sales associate when you know the sales person is in the right.   Answer Question
    They would not negotiate salary.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

They just hire anyone with a decent availability. They don't ask many questions, common customer scenarios. It's all about selling and customer satisfaction. Nothing about what you want to pursue.

Interview Questions
    Can't negotiate, they care more for themselves than the associate.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

Being hired from a college career fair I went through one interview on my college campus. I was passed on to the second round where Macy's flew students out to on site interviews that lasted two days and included four interviews that were a mix between group exercises and one on one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Macy's has you take assessments and chooses questions that you may have been on the fence with to interview you on. You are made to choose one extreme or the other in order to finish one of interviews.   Answer Question