Macy's Sales Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.8

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Had one scheduled interview with the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager. Was a very pleasant experience and more of a conversation than a formal interview. The store manager was very up front about the expectations and challenges of the role.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing was too difficult. A lot of situational questions (i.e. Tell me a time when...)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Brunswick, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

I interviewed with the HR Manager and the Store Manager/VP, both were extremely nice and very informative regarding the position. I was told that I would hear from the Administrative Assistant the following week regarding a 2nd interview. When I hadn't heard from her by that Friday, I called, and left a detailed message on her voice mail, asking her to either call me back or drop me an e-mail regarding my status. A week later, I still have not received either. I would have thought that a company such as Macy's, would send a follow up e-mail to people they interviewed, saying "thank you for your time, but we are considering other candidates whose experience is better suited to the position." Only takes a minute, no discussion involved, yet lets the candidate know that they are not interested.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were directly related to the job description and the skills and competencies needed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in July 2010.

3 interviews with different levels of management. Initial phone interview, then to sales manager, then to assistant store manager, then to store manager and final with member of district management team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell this.....whatever was on interviewers desk. Paperclip for mine. Questions not difficult. Culture is about providing magical experience for their customers.   View Answer
    Monetary compensation to pay for health insurance which doesn't start until 6 months after hire date.

Sales Manager Interview

One interview with store manager and assistant store manager. Questions were very general and short interview lasted about 20 minutes. My impression of the company and management was good, seemed like a fun place to work. I was offered the job 2 days later. They would not negotiate salary. When I tried they told me that with my bonuses I would be at my desired salary. Bonuses were cut for all Sales managers after 6 months of my employment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you, diplomatically solve a bad situation between a customer and a sales associate when you know the sales person is in the right.   Answer Question
    They would not negotiate salary.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

They just hire anyone with a decent availability. They don't ask many questions, common customer scenarios. It's all about selling and customer satisfaction. Nothing about what you want to pursue.

Interview Questions
    Can't negotiate, they care more for themselves than the associate.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Macy's.

Being hired from a college career fair I went through one interview on my college campus. I was passed on to the second round where Macy's flew students out to on site interviews that lasted two days and included four interviews that were a mix between group exercises and one on one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Macy's has you take assessments and chooses questions that you may have been on the fence with to interview you on. You are made to choose one extreme or the other in order to finish one of interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in December 2010.

Three interviews. Process took about 2.5 wks. The company HR was extremely friendly, timely and genuinely cared and appreciated my personal time spent interviewing. I met and was introduced to everyone I came in contact with along the process...did I say they were friendly?....I applied online first and also was recommended by another employee.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what my management style was like and what I thought made a strong leader.   View Answer
    They made me a very good offer and I accepted.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online, the next day i got a call from the store manager to setup an interview, 2 days later went to the store for the interview, had 2 rounds - 1 with HR and another with store manager. HR round was very professional - focused on skills and behavior. 2 days later got a call with the job offer

Interview Questions
    • None. They are all behavioral based questions so they just look for the best response possible   Answer Question
    Offered too less, negotiated for about a week with 3 different people and then finally got a revised job offer that i ended up accepting

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

I already worked for the company as a sales asscociate. The interview clearly differed by each store manager and HR manager, but it was rather difficult when I interviewed - the questions were not overly hard, but they required thought. Both managers were more than willing to allow me time to think about my answer, but its very clear that this will vary by store.

No negotiation. Very obvious that a company like this can afford anyone at the absurdly low minimum rate for the job, and I had no room to discuss it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

The hiring and interviewing process is very inconsistent. The quality of applicants is at a minimal due to the very low entrance rate. The associate interview is very basic to seeking out a selling behaviors. The management interview is more tailored to the coaching and development of the associates and what ideas that individual can bring to Macy's which can elevate sales.

Interview Questions
    • For a sales associate it would be "What would you do to make the initial approach to a stranger?" For a sales manager it would be, "What methods would you use to coach an associate who has been a low performer for a number of time?"   Answer Question
    I was asked what I currently made and what I am looking for. Then they explain the different ranks of management and their pay scale.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!