Macy's Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I was a bit early, so they told me to take a seat outside the office. I was brought back to an office where the manager sat across from me. She introduced herself and asked me some basic questions. Mostly about honesty and how I would sell to clients. I was then asked which 3 departments I would like to work in and I said either juniors, young mens, or perfume. I was not honored the requests but was offered a job on the spot for $.25 more than minimum wage.

Interview Questions
    • If you saw an employee stealing from work what would you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Holiday Retail Visual Merchandiser- Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Was notified by e-mail the next day for interview appointment. On the day of the interview, I got a call two hours before, that the interview was cancelled, had to reschedule.

Interview was very similar to other posts I had read, the manager read off a printed script of questions. (Situational questions).

Was notified by e-mail that I did not get the position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time that you had to work in a group and someone in the group wasn't doing their part, what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and got emailed when to schedule an interview. The interview went smooth very east questions and was offered a job right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Did an hour long, online questionnare, after that I received an email for an interview.

Retail Cosmetics Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in September 2013.

After seeing the position advertised on Craigslist, I filled out an application online. I answered all the questions honestly, especially my availability. (FYI: I don't have any experience with cosmetics but I do have a customer service background.) A day or so later, I received an email asking me to schedule a time for an interview.

The interview itself was pretty basic - it was one-on-one with one of the department managers, and she asked pretty standard questions. These aren't all the questions but they're the toughest ones:

--Tell me about yourself.
    --Tell me about a time you worked as a team.

The interview went well, she was pleasant and I think she liked me--maybe I would have been hired. HOWEVER, right at the beginning she was concerned with my availability, because I made it clear on my app that I only wanted to work M-F, daytime hours. She explained that 70% of their business is done on the weekends.

"Why don't you want to work on Sundays?" she asked, which I thought was a somewhat invasive question. I wanted to answer, "None of your business!!" but I told her that my husband works very long hours during the week and I want to spend time with him on the weekend. She told me that they really need people to work nights/weekends and that she was surprised that I was even invited to interview, since I was upfront on my application. I explained to her that I understood that Macy's needs are completely understandable but that I just wasn't available during those times.

Inside I was seething... Didn't anyone read my application? Why didn't the Craigslist ad specify their needs? So, this whole thing was pretty much a waste of time.

She did mention another position I could do (stockroom I think?) but I told her that it didn't seem like a good fit. She then asked me the questions above and wrote down the answers, and said she'd keep my application on file in case something else became available. I do like that she at least said they'd consider me for other positions, but the fact that no one took the time to read my availability and think about their hiring needs beforehand left a bad taste in my mouth. So...I will look at this interview as "practice" for interviews I will have in the future with other companies.

Interview Questions
    • --What would you do to get a customer to purchase something right then and there, and to entice them to return to the store repeatedly?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

The interview took 7-10mins. She was very nice. She asked me some questions mentioned on glassdoor - why Macy's?, how would you approach a customer?, and describe a time when someone did something unethical? Even though I didn't get hired, it was a positive first interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were answerable, but a question she asked, which was unexpected for me was - how would an employer describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

applied online, a week later, receive a phone call to scheduel an interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

The process took two interviews. I originally applied for a different job at Macy's, but when I interviewed, they went ahead and hired me as a sales associate, which wasn't what I was applying for (although I didn't know that). This turned out to be for the best. If you want to work for the company, I suggest applying online.

Interview Questions
    • I don't really remember. Probably the usual -- where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

Online application . One face to face interview . Two days later they send a email .
    I apply again and the same results.
    I only keep applying because they keep advertising . But they have nothing to offer.
    I'm done with Macy's .

Retail Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in March 2013.

All of the initial application work was done by way of the Macy's website. Filled out the application, took the test and submitted it. A few days later, I received an email asking me to select a time for an interview. The link for that website had no slots available, but allowed me to come back (for 2 weeks) until there was an opening. Took roughly 2 days for a single spot to open up and it was for the next afternoon. Once I accepted the spot I was sent another email with the address for the store and directions to the HR office in the store.

On the day of the interview I arrived and was greeted and asked to sit in a small waiting area. As I waited one other candidate arrived and was seated with me. About 10 minutes later we were taken to separate rooms for our interviews.

My interviewer seemed to be reviewing my information for the first time as we sat down, he asked me a few questions about the information on my application and moved on to the interview questions.

I was asked about how I would celebrate a sale with a customer, how I would sell a pair of pants and how I would encourage a customer to add something to that pants purchase. I was asked about how I handle stressful situations, times in the past when I'd seen another employee doing something against policy, how I'd handled it and what the resolution was. The interviewer also asked about a time when I'd worked with a team, what we worked on and again, the resolution of that team work. Most of the questions I was asked were available here through other reviewers.

Once the interview was complete, the interviewer let me know that they would check my qualifications and available hours against what they were looking for and I would have my answer, one way or the other, within a week and a half.

I wasn't offered a position and according the the email I was sent it was an issue with hours. The email encouraged applying to other positions (if any were available on their site)and/or applying again with different hours.

Interview Questions
    • Though I was prepared for most of the questions, I was momentarily stopped by the how do you handle stress on the job question.   Answer Question