Macy's Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Newark, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

transferring from another store . interview was brief. Manager indicated that I would be a specialist in a particular area and would provide me with product knowledge materials. Manager assumed I knew what I needed to do job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macys?   1 Answer

Beauty Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online to be a full time sales associate and got an email the next day asking me to come in and interview to be a Beauty Advisory for Estee Lauder. I set the first, in person interview, for the next Saturday. When I got to Macy's for the interview, I had to wait for fifteen minutes before I met with the interviewer. He was very nice and energetic and helpful and seemed to be very responsive to all of my answers. He asked the standard questions as well as his own questions since he would be my boss if I were to get the job. When the interview came to a close, he gave me his personal phone number and told me to text him if I hadn't heard back about a second interview within the next three days and even gave me some tips on how to impress the next interviewer. Within the next two days I had a FaceTime interview with his boss, and the manager of Estee Lauder, which went smoothly. Finally there was a talent plus interview.

Interview Questions

• Roleplay how you would get customers shopping in other departments to come to our counter.   Answer Question
    • How would you sell the Macy's card?   Answer Question
    • Are you okay with touching people's faces?   Answer Question
    • How do you set up your day? (How do you put daily tasks into order?)   Answer Question

Retail Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Quick interview basic "describe a time" questions.. Hired on the spot. Applied online Saturday night got a call Sunday to interview on Monday started training on Tuesday very quick process

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Hayward, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an offer for an interview the next day over email. I came about 10 minutes early to the HR Office and had to wait another 10 more minutes until someone came to interview. It was a one-on-one interview. Right off the bat, I was asked why I should be hired over the others that she'd be interviewing today. I focused on my experience and what I had learned from each job. Then, she asked me to describe myself. After that, she went into detail about my past jobs/why I left. This was the tough part, because I had actually been fired from one of my jobs for some social media reason. I was completely honest with my interviewer (which is now my manager) and she appreciated it. LET YOUR BUBBLY PERSONALITY SHOW! I was hired on the spot. Pay is kind of low ($9/hr) but it's only for the summer for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Concord, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I showed up and signed in to the office, letting them know I was there. The manager came in a little late, which is fine because he is the manager, and he took me to a conference room. That's when the interview began. He asked me simple interview questions in the beginning and moved onto scenario questions seeing how I would do in the actual field. Overall it was a good experience. I got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimum wage is 9.00 and I have no work experience, but I put 10.00 just to push it a little. He offered me 9.50 because he liked me so much and said I deserve it.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

There was a group interview where the went around and asked everyone questions. After the group interview if you got a follow up interview it was one on one. They did call backs to let you know if you got the position.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at macys. are you able to work seasonal hours. do you have prior experience in retail.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First,meet the HR manager.After that,I was invited to meet the dept manager.The dept manager called me for a shot talking,then met me for 30 mins.They are very nice!!Let me feel very comfortable to talk with them.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

They had asked very straightforward questions but not much. I just submitted an application and got a call back from them. Also, you go through paid training on how to use run different transactions on their cash register before you go out on the floor to deal with customers.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

Applied online. Few weeks later received an email to schedule for an interview. Came to the interview 30 minutes early. Checked in. One-on-one interview. She was really nice. After that interview I was then interviewed ny another lady and im guessing that was a department manager that I was going to be with if i was hired. She was sweet to. It was nerve wrecking but got over it

Interview Questions

• How would you up sale a customer if she was only buying jeans?   1 Answer

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

A few days after applying I recieved an email to schedule an in store interview. During the interview you go to the HR department and call for the manager. We met and went through routine questions "tell me a time when you had to sell to a stranger" after answering the questions I recieved an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a product to a complete stranger?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me the base pay and the percentage of comission. It was satisfactory so I agreed. Set up my schedule for the following week.