Macy's

2.5

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Questions
    • How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   View Answers (2)
    There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

I initially saw Macy's at my college career fair. I submitted my resume online and got invited to do a behavioral interview with an HR Macy's manager and a Bloomingdales Sales manager on campus. This consisted of "coaching exercise" looking at the Macy's scorecard and a behavioral interview with the other manager. From there I was invited for an onsite two day interview (interview was actually only one date, but we were onsite for two days). The first day was an introduction, an overview of the program and interview process, and then dinner. The second day was intense, with a behavioral interview, a personal assessment, an individual presentation about what you would do as a store manager, and a group presentation on how you work together as a team of sales manager to increase store sales. They get back to you in two weeks and tell you if you made the cut. Overall, good but intense experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an internship or a past work experience where you managed a business. How did you do that and what were the results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you worked with a diverse group of people and how did you get your ideas across and what was the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

I first talked to Macy's and Bloomindale's reps at a career fair at my school and gave them my resume. After attending an info session on campus (where you got to hear about the interview process, what the program was about, and ask questions), I was invited to an on campus interview. This consisted of two interviews: a quasi case study and a behavioral interview. The case study gave you a "score card," showing you the abilities and weaknesses of four employees. You had to choose one to personally coach, explain why, and give coaching strategies to help them improve. The behavioral interview was pretty standard -- explain about your experience, talk about your resume, and why you're interested in working in retail.

Next, I was invited to take more online assessments, including a behavioral assessment and a more mathematical/logic based assessment (a lot of it was based on proportions/ratios -- ie: if a truck can be stocked in 9 minutes, how many trucks can be stocked in 20 minutes, etc).

The final round interview lasted for 2 full days and was an overall pleasant experience (all of my interviewers were fun to talk to and welcoming) -- Macy's puts you up in your own hotel room, gave us a comprehensive store tour of the Union Square flagship store, and provided us with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The first day was an introduction: explaining the agenda, giving a presentation on what the EDP program entailed from a former EDP, store tour, and dinner. Be sure on the store tour (given by the recruiting team to ask questions and engage them in conversation to stand out).

The next day we had interviews all day. You are divided into groups of about 10 people and rotate between four different interviews, each lasting about 30-45 minutes: two 1:1 interviews and two group based case study interviews. You are also given a short powerpoint presentation about the logistics of the EDP program and can ask questions.

One 1:1 interview is purely behavioral, another is behavioral but they put you on the spot and make you choose between two extremes how you would describe yourself/your work ethic -- for example: do you like to work at a fast pace to resolve several problems quickly (but possibly miss details) or work slowly to make sure you examine every detail to find a solution (but solve less problems in a day).

One of the group interviews measured how you answered as an individual and includes being given a list of departments within a single Macy's store, the strong points and weaknesses of each department, and their statistics on how well sales are doing over a period of time, as well as some background information on the store location. You had to choose three departments to focus your attention on, explain why you chose them, and give strategies on how you would help the department to raise sales (think about the location of the store, the time period -- aka whether the holiday season is coming up, whether it's hot/cold, and then also the client you're selling to).

The second group interview gives you a similar set of facts (lists departments, pros/cons, how they're doing in sales), and you are assigned a single department that you are managing. You are then told that the VP of the store is going to be hiring a new person, and each person in the group is given an opportunity to present why their department should have the new hire. The group then discusses everyone else's presentations and decides as a group where the new hire should be placed. The final decision is then presented by a single person to the interviewer, who is watching the entire time and judging you on not only how you make your presentation, but also how you interact with everyone else in the group.

They notify you within two weeks after the two day interview if you have the job or not. While the initial first round interview is very straight forward, the final round interview is exhausting just because you had to be alert, engaging, and socialize with both your competition and the recruitment team constantly for two entire days. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • What was a goal you set for yourself and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you were faced with a problem that your superior made and you did not agree with? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Must apply online for legal reasons, filter thru survey to be approved for interview process, be patient as it takes a few weeks or more for things to process thru the system

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to give specific examples of successes and challenges   Answer Question
    A few phone calls between manager and HR

Sales Associate Women's Shoes Interview

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

I applied for the job the night before I got two emails inviting me to come interview with Macy's/Bloomingdales and to schedule an interview. I got there and someone else had my interview time slot as well, which was strange to me. I was mostly prepared for the interview but there were like 3 pages worth of questions and I wasn't prepared for ALL of those...so, the interview ended, she asked my availability, told me about the points system and also that the position for shoes was filled... but asked me if there was anywhere in particular I would prefer to work. I told her I was flexible and could manage working in just about any department I was needed... and after all that, I still didn't get the job. I was informed by e-mail I didn't get it the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were faced with a difficult question in an unfamiliar subject and what solution did you come up with or something like that.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

1 phone interview and 2 in person interview. Met with other detectives to see if we get along, then contingent job offer, background check, no drug test then job offer

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

After the resume drop, a college recruiter will contact you for an in-person interview on campus. You will interview with two people at this time and those two individuals' roles vary. I was interviewed by an HR Manager and a Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Case study/ role play of how you would address and coach an associate on one metric on their scorecard. The interviewer will evaluate why you chose this metric to coach to and assess how confident you are when delivering your feedback.   View Answer
    Starting salary is fixed.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

To be honest, I haven't been interviewed at this store for the past several years since I have been coming in and out for several years now. However, I remember some of the questions that were asked several years ago.
    1) Why do you want to work at Macy's?
    2) If you find a problem at work with another co-worker, what would you do?
    3) You noticed your co-worker was stealing from the company, what would you do?
    4) If you noticed there was a broken elevator and a customer with a wheel chair wants to go up to the next level, what can you do to provide outstanding service?
    5) You have a long line during the sale, you have angry customers waiting to be served, what would you do? Would you say something? If so, what?
    6) You noticed a customer is acting suspicious, what would you do to prevent theft?

Interview Questions
    • 1) Simple. Just tell them why you want to work at Macys.
      2) Talk to your manager or directly talk it out with a co worker and if it doesn't work, discuss this situation with your manager.
      3) Let my manager/loss prevention know.
      4) Not sure.
      5) Thank you for waiting.
      6) call LP!

Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Macy's in August 2010.

Met the department manger in a group interview. And was offered the job afterward. Easy process. Just got know that customers always come first. Always mentioned outstanding customer service in every sentences and you are likely to be hire. Always be a team player and self starter.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you work in a team environment?   View Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in January 2015.

One of the recruiter companies called me if I have an interest in contract to hire position at Macy's in San Francisco. Actually I was looking for a full time position but the job description was very interesting and I said OK.
    He scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager and one of his leads two days later. The hiring manager asked me short about my last projects and experience and it took about 10 min. After that the lead started asking me detailed technical questions. I was able to answer all his questions. Some time after 40 minutes came the architect and start asking me questions related to Core Java. As he started his questions I felt there is something wrong the way he was communicating his questions.
    One of his question was to say yes/no to true/false e.g. what dose object1.equals(object2) returns? True or false if they are from the same type.Very basic and simple question. His next question was how many "for" loops dose java have. I thought instead of answering this question I should hang up. But I answered his question.
    To me this was clear that they have already some one in mind to hire.

This was wasting my time and energy.