Macy's

Getting the Interview

47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Executive Development Program Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

Interview Details – I initially saw Macy's at my college career fair. I submitted my resume online and got invited to do a behavioral interview with an HR Macy's manager and a Bloomingdales Sales manager on campus. This consisted of "coaching exercise" looking at the Macy's scorecard and a behavioral interview with the other manager. From there I was invited for an onsite two day interview (interview was actually only one date, but we were onsite for two days). The first day was an introduction, an overview of the program and interview process, and then dinner. The second day was intense, with a behavioral interview, a personal assessment, an individual presentation about what you would do as a store manager, and a group presentation on how you work together as a team of sales manager to increase store sales. They get back to you in two weeks and tell you if you made the cut. Overall, good but intense experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an internship or a past work experience where you managed a business. How did you do that and what were the results.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time where you worked with a diverse group of people and how did you get your ideas across and what was the results.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

Interview Details – I first talked to Macy's and Bloomindale's reps at a career fair at my school and gave them my resume. After attending an info session on campus (where you got to hear about the interview process, what the program was about, and ask questions), I was invited to an on campus interview. This consisted of two interviews: a quasi case study and a behavioral interview. The case study gave you a "score card," showing you the abilities and weaknesses of four employees. You had to choose one to personally coach, explain why, and give coaching strategies to help them improve. The behavioral interview was pretty standard -- explain about your experience, talk about your resume, and why you're interested in working in retail.

Next, I was invited to take more online assessments, including a behavioral assessment and a more mathematical/logic based assessment (a lot of it was based on proportions/ratios -- ie: if a truck can be stocked in 9 minutes, how many trucks can be stocked in 20 minutes, etc).

The final round interview lasted for 2 full days and was an overall pleasant experience (all of my interviewers were fun to talk to and welcoming) -- Macy's puts you up in your own hotel room, gave us a comprehensive store tour of the Union Square flagship store, and provided us with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The first day was an introduction: explaining the agenda, giving a presentation on what the EDP program entailed from a former EDP, store tour, and dinner. Be sure on the store tour (given by the recruiting team to ask questions and engage them in conversation to stand out).

The next day we had interviews all day. You are divided into groups of about 10 people and rotate between four different interviews, each lasting about 30-45 minutes: two 1:1 interviews and two group based case study interviews. You are also given a short powerpoint presentation about the logistics of the EDP program and can ask questions.

One 1:1 interview is purely behavioral, another is behavioral but they put you on the spot and make you choose between two extremes how you would describe yourself/your work ethic -- for example: do you like to work at a fast pace to resolve several problems quickly (but possibly miss details) or work slowly to make sure you examine every detail to find a solution (but solve less problems in a day).

One of the group interviews measured how you answered as an individual and includes being given a list of departments within a single Macy's store, the strong points and weaknesses of each department, and their statistics on how well sales are doing over a period of time, as well as some background information on the store location. You had to choose three departments to focus your attention on, explain why you chose them, and give strategies on how you would help the department to raise sales (think about the location of the store, the time period -- aka whether the holiday season is coming up, whether it's hot/cold, and then also the client you're selling to).

The second group interview gives you a similar set of facts (lists departments, pros/cons, how they're doing in sales), and you are assigned a single department that you are managing. You are then told that the VP of the store is going to be hiring a new person, and each person in the group is given an opportunity to present why their department should have the new hire. The group then discusses everyone else's presentations and decides as a group where the new hire should be placed. The final decision is then presented by a single person to the interviewer, who is watching the entire time and judging you on not only how you make your presentation, but also how you interact with everyone else in the group.

They notify you within two weeks after the two day interview if you have the job or not. While the initial first round interview is very straight forward, the final round interview is exhausting just because you had to be alert, engaging, and socialize with both your competition and the recruitment team constantly for two entire days. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• What was a goal you set for yourself and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question
  • What was a time when you were faced with a problem that your superior made and you did not agree with? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Cosmetics Sales Associate
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Question – How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.

Planner Interview

Planner
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – Must apply online for legal reasons, filter thru survey to be approved for interview process, be patient as it takes a few weeks or more for things to process thru the system

Interview Question – Be prepared to give specific examples of successes and challenges   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A few phone calls between manager and HR

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Daly City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – To be honest, I haven't been interviewed at this store for the past several years since I have been coming in and out for several years now. However, I remember some of the questions that were asked several years ago.
1) Why do you want to work at Macy's?
2) If you find a problem at work with another co-worker, what would you do?
3) You noticed your co-worker was stealing from the company, what would you do?
4) If you noticed there was a broken elevator and a customer with a wheel chair wants to go up to the next level, what can you do to provide outstanding service?
5) You have a long line during the sale, you have angry customers waiting to be served, what would you do? Would you say something? If so, what?
6) You noticed a customer is acting suspicious, what would you do to prevent theft?

Interview Question – 1) Simple. Just tell them why you want to work at Macys.
2) Talk to your manager or directly talk it out with a co worker and if it doesn't work, discuss this situation with your manager.
3) Let my manager/loss prevention know.
4) Not sure.
5) Thank you for waiting.
6) call LP!
  Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – group interview. assigned a word and use it to talk about related experience.

Interview Question – the assigned word activity   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Macy's in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had to go through 3 separate interviews in order to get an offer. The first interview was with the Cosmetics Department manager. The second was with the brand executive and the third was with the brand manager and executive. They all asked very similar questions such as why they should hire you, what can you bring to the team and they ask many situational questions. It was overall very easy except for the fact that they take weeks to call back.

Interview Question – If you gave cream samples to customers and you had to call back and ask them how they liked it, how would you respond to customers who didn't like the product?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was called by a manager for an interview but it took several calls to eventually get a date to come in. I had to wait to meet with her, but eventually we did talk and I talked with the assistant store manager. They seemed professional but the followup was not well planned. I was strung along for several weeks before I was hired.

Interview Question – They wanted to know how I would handle various scenarios with both co-workers and customers.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews-personality interviews

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, given hourly wage, however, you have to join a union to work at Macy's and all employees pay a flat fee (that keeps increasing)- no matter how many hours you work a month

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – I started by getting a job interview and when I showed up, she was not available. I went back and it happened again, but HR found someone to interview me. I had that interview, then a phone interview, then another interview with a district manager. I was interviewed by the cosmetics manager in a hallway. I was then told I would get a phone interview with another manager and I did. I then was called back for another interview and I was interviewed in the mall in chairs next to lots of people and it was loud and hard to hear. I then had to go talk to a floor manager in her office and there were people coming in and out. I thought it was a very long process, for the job I was getting. I would think for a management position it would be fine, but this was a pt position for selling make-up!

I was hired and went I went in, there was confusion about my paperwork. I trained on the cash register, but I did not think there was much training on make-up application. it was jump in and learn! It worked out.

Interview Question – It was not a difficult interview, but it took many trips and time to land a $11 an hour job! Be sure to talk about current trends in beauty and where you get your information from-magazines, blogs, vlogs, etc. I was asked typical questions regarding customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I have a Masters in education so I was given the top salary of $11 plus commission. I did not want to work for such little money, but I had to take what I could get at the time.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 47 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.