Macy's Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.3

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I was called in for an interview and when I went in the first time, there was nobody to see me. I scheduled another interview the next day and when I went back, they were going to send me home again! Fortunately, someone did come and interview me. She took me to a hallway and we sat in chairs outside of the hr room and it very informal. I was called back for a second interview and I met with a trainer who was very nice and we sat out in the mall area. She seemed to be very professional and gave me more information and asked me a lot more formal interview questions. I was then called by the department regional manager for a phone inteview. This was the most interigative of interviews and I felt it went well. I felt that this was a lot to go though for a $11 an hour job and an opportunity to get 3% commision. I was not impressed with the lack of communication with Macy's and the department that I ended up getting a job in. I was also not pleased that the job schedule I agreed to did not really exsist. They have gotten rid of the day short position that I thought I was going to get because the turn over was too high.

Interview Questions

• How do I do my research for current trends in the cosmetics industry?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was none. I was given an hourly rate and that was it.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I initially saw Macy's at my college career fair. I submitted my resume online and got invited to do a behavioral interview with an HR Macy's manager and a Bloomingdales Sales manager on campus. This consisted of "coaching exercise" looking at the Macy's scorecard and a behavioral interview with the other manager. From there I was invited for an onsite two day interview (interview was actually only one date, but we were onsite for two days). The first day was an introduction, an overview of the program and interview process, and then dinner. The second day was intense, with a behavioral interview, a personal assessment, an individual presentation about what you would do as a store manager, and a group presentation on how you work together as a team of sales manager to increase store sales. They get back to you in two weeks and tell you if you made the cut. Overall, good but intense experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an internship or a past work experience where you managed a business. How did you do that and what were the results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you worked with a diverse group of people and how did you get your ideas across and what was the results.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I first talked to Macy's and Bloomindale's reps at a career fair at my school and gave them my resume. After attending an info session on campus (where you got to hear about the interview process, what the program was about, and ask questions), I was invited to an on campus interview. This consisted of two interviews: a quasi case study and a behavioral interview. The case study gave you a "score card," showing you the abilities and weaknesses of four employees. You had to choose one to personally coach, explain why, and give coaching strategies to help them improve. The behavioral interview was pretty standard -- explain about your experience, talk about your resume, and why you're interested in working in retail. Next, I was invited to take more online assessments, including a behavioral assessment and a more mathematical/logic based assessment (a lot of it was based on proportions/ratios -- ie: if a truck can be stocked in 9 minutes, how many trucks can be stocked in 20 minutes, etc). The final round interview lasted for 2 full days and was an overall pleasant experience (all of my interviewers were fun to talk to and welcoming) -- Macy's puts you up in your own hotel room, gave us a comprehensive store tour of the Union Square flagship store, and provided us with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The first day was an introduction: explaining the agenda, giving a presentation on what the EDP program entailed from a former EDP, store tour, and dinner. Be sure on the store tour (given by the recruiting team to ask questions and engage them in conversation to stand out). The next day we had interviews all day. You are divided into groups of about 10 people and rotate between four different interviews, each lasting about 30-45 minutes: two 1:1 interviews and two group based case study interviews. You are also given a short powerpoint presentation about the logistics of the EDP program and can ask questions. One 1:1 interview is purely behavioral, another is behavioral but they put you on the spot and make you choose between two extremes how you would describe yourself/your work ethic -- for example: do you like to work at a fast pace to resolve several problems quickly (but possibly miss details) or work slowly to make sure you examine every detail to find a solution (but solve less problems in a day). One of the group interviews measured how you answered as an individual and includes being given a list of departments within a single Macy's store, the strong points and weaknesses of each department, and their statistics on how well sales are doing over a period of time, as well as some background information on the store location. You had to choose three departments to focus your attention on, explain why you chose them, and give strategies on how you would help the department to raise sales (think about the location of the store, the time period -- aka whether the holiday season is coming up, whether it's hot/cold, and then also the client you're selling to). The second group interview gives you a similar set of facts (lists departments, pros/cons, how they're doing in sales), and you are assigned a single department that you are managing. You are then told that the VP of the store is going to be hiring a new person, and each person in the group is given an opportunity to present why their department should have the new hire. The group then discusses everyone else's presentations and decides as a group where the new hire should be placed. The final decision is then presented by a single person to the interviewer, who is watching the entire time and judging you on not only how you make your presentation, but also how you interact with everyone else in the group. They notify you within two weeks after the two day interview if you have the job or not. While the initial first round interview is very straight forward, the final round interview is exhausting just because you had to be alert, engaging, and socialize with both your competition and the recruitment team constantly for two entire days. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• What was a goal you set for yourself and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you were faced with a problem that your superior made and you did not agree with? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Must apply online for legal reasons, filter thru survey to be approved for interview process, be patient as it takes a few weeks or more for things to process thru the system

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to give specific examples of successes and challenges   Answer Question

Negotiation

A few phone calls between manager and HR

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 phone interview and 2 in person interview. Met with other detectives to see if we get along, then contingent job offer, background check, no drug test then job offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Sales Associate Women's Shoes Interview

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Concord, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job the night before I got two emails inviting me to come interview with Macy's/Bloomingdales and to schedule an interview. I got there and someone else had my interview time slot as well, which was strange to me. I was mostly prepared for the interview but there were like 3 pages worth of questions and I wasn't prepared for ALL of those...so, the interview ended, she asked my availability, told me about the points system and also that the position for shoes was filled... but asked me if there was anywhere in particular I would prefer to work. I told her I was flexible and could manage working in just about any department I was needed... and after all that, I still didn't get the job. I was informed by e-mail I didn't get it the next day.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with a difficult question in an unfamiliar subject and what solution did you come up with or something like that.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Newark, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

First there was a group interview consisting of about 15-20 prospective employees at a meeting room. It's a competitive atmosphere but I believed they weren't just looking for someone who gave the right answers, but someone who can fit in a team environment. They had us fill out an application on the spot. If you made it to the next round the HR recruiter will call you within minutes and ask you a few more questions.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Concord, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I showed up and signed in to the office, letting them know I was there. The manager came in a little late, which is fine because he is the manager, and he took me to a conference room. That's when the interview began. He asked me simple interview questions in the beginning and moved onto scenario questions seeing how I would do in the actual field. Overall it was a good experience. I got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimum wage is 9.00 and I have no work experience, but I put 10.00 just to push it a little. He offered me 9.50 because he liked me so much and said I deserve it.

Visual Trimmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Fairfield, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Highly efficient. I went in to interview and the manager stayed in contact with me throughout the process. I was hired days later and was told that she still had other applicants to interview, but was set on hiring me. It was s great experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had an altercation with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First,meet the HR manager.After that,I was invited to meet the dept manager.The dept manager called me for a shot talking,then met me for 30 mins.They are very nice!!Let me feel very comfortable to talk with them.