Macy's

71 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Through email, they asked me to choose a date for interview, but they did not provide any day to choose from (that means no available date). I waited for a week, then I email to HR and finally got the date.
    The date for interview, the lady who interviewed me was late for 20mins, she was wearing a pair of tennis shoes ( I mean not professional look at all). After some questions about customer services, she was telling me that I will be good on Sale, but she doesn't have any support position for me, and if I want to do the sale,I have to apply for Sale position separately.
    The total time for this interview was less than 10mins.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

the interview was pretty straight forward, they sat me in a room it was me and the interviewer ,he seemed nice. he asked me alittle about myself, then asked me how would i go about selling a macys credit card, and name a bad time when i had to work in a team and someone wasnt participating. after that he asked did i have any questions, and they said they didnt have any positions open for what i was applying for and he encouraged me not to give up. ;)

Interview Questions
    • how would i go about selling macys credit card.   View Answer

Expeditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Applied online and receive an email to schedule for an appointment 2 days later. Arrived an hour early for the interview and since the manager was done with an earlier appointment, they pushed my appointment forward.

The 1 on 1 interview is fairly easy, the manager will ask you all the questions on his check list and grade you on the spot, and if you're hired you'll know right there because they;ll ask you right after the interview when can you come in for orientation, if not then you're not hired and will receive a decline email within 2-3 days.

The salary is pretty much set, you can't negotiate.

Administrative Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

I applied on-line on a Thursday and received an e-mail the next day requesting I schedule myself for an interview. The site was very easy and so I scheduled my interview for the following Monday.

My first interview was with the Administrative Support Manager. The questions were in STAR format, which can be difficult if you're not prepared, but the questions asked were very easy. The ASM also went over the job description and that they were looking for someone who could handle the HR and Administrative tasks of the store. The interview went really well and I was asked to come back for a 2nd interview with the HR manager the next day.

My second interview was alright and easier than the first, but I really felt the HR Manager was in no-way as engaging in the interview as the ASM. She was smiling and upbeat the whole time, but I kept getting the sense that she couldn't wait for me to leave. At the end of the interview the HR Manager told me that the hiring decision would be left up to the ASM and I would hear back in a couple days.

Unfortunately, the very next morning I get an automated e-mail saying my application is no longer being considered. I was very disappointed given that I have a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, work experience in HR Administration, AND I used to work for Macy's back in '05-'06. I guess that wasn't good enough.

Overall, this could have been a positive interview experience, but the automated rejection e-mail was a despicable way to end an interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a sell a product/idea to a customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you received outstanding customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you encountered another employee giving bad customer service and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to gather and present information to multiple people.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Online application followed by an e-mail invite a few days later, to schedule an appointment. I chose an interview time and received directions on where to go and what door to knock on for interview but I had no contact name of who I'd meet. The interview started and immediately the interviewer and I had a great vibe and she offered me the option of a higher luxury placement just because of my personality as I have no sales experience. I got the offer within 10mins of interviewing. My interviewer had an amazing personality and allowed me to think about the offer. Then followed up a couple of times to assist in my decision; although I decided to decline, she was very convincing and so amicable that I'm glad I could do it over the phone rather than in person.

Interview Questions

The pay is not very competitive and because I had a personal reason come up.

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I was hired by Macy's on the spot during a very casual 20 minute in person interview. However, when working for a cosmetic line you also have to interview with them after, depending on the company this may be another 1-3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview with any Estee Lauder companies is called "Talent Plus" it is a little unnerving the structure is that they ask a question and don't converse at all you feel like you're talking to yourself until they ask the following question.   Answer Question
    There was a little room for negotiation. But usually there isn't much room to change the offer, since both Macys & the cosmetic company have to budget and agree on your salary.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Applied online, two days later interviewed in the WalnutCreek store. It went great- I had a rapport with the lady and she commented on leadership. Then I received an automatic email stating that my salary on my application was inappropriate, though I stated I'd be flexible. Pay hadn't been discussed.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had to address a co-worker or friend doing something wrong or against the rules? What did you do?   Answer Question

Seasonal Administrative Support Team (AST) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online and received an email notification about an in-person interview a few days after. I scheduled an appointment through an online system. The interview was a bit late because the supervisor for AST had a lot of interviews that day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Macys?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What was the most difficult customer experience?
      Describe a time when you had to work as a team.
      Describe a time you went through the most change.
        Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Few weeks later received an email to schedule for an interview. Came to the interview 30 minutes early. Checked in. One-on-one interview. She was really nice. After that interview I was then interviewed ny another lady and im guessing that was a department manager that I was going to be with if i was hired. She was sweet to. It was nerve wrecking but got over it

Interview Questions
    • How would you up sale a customer if she was only buying jeans?   View Answer

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

A few days after applying I recieved an email to schedule an in store interview. During the interview you go to the HR department and call for the manager.
    We met and went through routine questions "tell me a time when you had to sell to a stranger" after answering the questions I recieved an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a product to a complete stranger?   View Answer
    They told me the base pay and the percentage of comission. It was satisfactory so I agreed. Set up my schedule for the following week.