Macy's

2.5

71 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

A few days after applying I recieved an email to schedule an in store interview. During the interview you go to the HR department and call for the manager.
    We met and went through routine questions "tell me a time when you had to sell to a stranger" after answering the questions I recieved an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a product to a complete stranger?   View Answer
    They told me the base pay and the percentage of comission. It was satisfactory so I agreed. Set up my schedule for the following week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Few weeks later received an email to schedule for an interview. Came to the interview 30 minutes early. Checked in. One-on-one interview. She was really nice. After that interview I was then interviewed ny another lady and im guessing that was a department manager that I was going to be with if i was hired. She was sweet to. It was nerve wrecking but got over it

Interview Questions
    • How would you up sale a customer if she was only buying jeans?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Macy's in August 2010.

Met the department manger in a group interview. And was offered the job afterward. Easy process. Just got know that customers always come first. Always mentioned outstanding customer service in every sentences and you are likely to be hire. Always be a team player and self starter.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you work in a team environment?   View Answer

Seasonal Administrative Support Team (AST) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online and received an email notification about an in-person interview a few days after. I scheduled an appointment through an online system. The interview was a bit late because the supervisor for AST had a lot of interviews that day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Macys?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What was the most difficult customer experience?
      Describe a time when you had to work as a team.
      Describe a time you went through the most change.
        Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

1 phone interview and 2 in person interview. Met with other detectives to see if we get along, then contingent job offer, background check, no drug test then job offer

No negotiations

Principal Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

They have intermediate selection process starting from HR interview, technical phone screen, programming test followed by technical in person interview. After all if Macys would like to offer at all, there will be a director/ VP interview followed by compensation discussion/negotiation.

Interview Questions
    • They provided me a computer and informed the current problem they are facing. You have been given 15 minutes time to think of, followed by explain you approach.   View Answer
    Bonus they never give compulsory. In case of compensation is not upto the mark, you can ask for joining bonus from 10K to 15K approximately.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

After the resume drop, a college recruiter will contact you for an in-person interview on campus. You will interview with two people at this time and those two individuals' roles vary. I was interviewed by an HR Manager and a Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Case study/ role play of how you would address and coach an associate on one metric on their scorecard. The interviewer will evaluate why you chose this metric to coach to and assess how confident you are when delivering your feedback.   View Answer
    Starting salary is fixed.

Sales Associate Women's Shoes Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

I applied for the job the night before I got two emails inviting me to come interview with Macy's/Bloomingdales and to schedule an interview. I got there and someone else had my interview time slot as well, which was strange to me. I was mostly prepared for the interview but there were like 3 pages worth of questions and I wasn't prepared for ALL of those...so, the interview ended, she asked my availability, told me about the points system and also that the position for shoes was filled... but asked me if there was anywhere in particular I would prefer to work. I told her I was flexible and could manage working in just about any department I was needed... and after all that, I still didn't get the job. I was informed by e-mail I didn't get it the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were faced with a difficult question in an unfamiliar subject and what solution did you come up with or something like that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Applied online, two days later interviewed in the WalnutCreek store. It went great- I had a rapport with the lady and she commented on leadership. Then I received an automatic email stating that my salary on my application was inappropriate, though I stated I'd be flexible. Pay hadn't been discussed.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had to address a co-worker or friend doing something wrong or against the rules? What did you do?   Answer Question

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I was hired by Macy's on the spot during a very casual 20 minute in person interview. However, when working for a cosmetic line you also have to interview with them after, depending on the company this may be another 1-3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview with any Estee Lauder companies is called "Talent Plus" it is a little unnerving the structure is that they ask a question and don't converse at all you feel like you're talking to yourself until they ask the following question.   Answer Question
    There was a little room for negotiation. But usually there isn't much room to change the offer, since both Macys & the cosmetic company have to budget and agree on your salary.