Macy's

65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Executive Development Program Interview

Executive Development Program
Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – After the resume drop, a college recruiter will contact you for an in-person interview on campus. You will interview with two people at this time and those two individuals' roles vary. I was interviewed by an HR Manager and a Store Manager.

Interview Question – Case study/ role play of how you would address and coach an associate on one metric on their scorecard. The interviewer will evaluate why you chose this metric to coach to and assess how confident you are when delivering your feedback.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting salary is fixed.

Sales Associate Women's Shoes Interview

Sales Associate Women's Shoes
Concord, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the job the night before I got two emails inviting me to come interview with Macy's/Bloomingdales and to schedule an interview. I got there and someone else had my interview time slot as well, which was strange to me. I was mostly prepared for the interview but there were like 3 pages worth of questions and I wasn't prepared for ALL of those...so, the interview ended, she asked my availability, told me about the points system and also that the position for shoes was filled... but asked me if there was anywhere in particular I would prefer to work. I told her I was flexible and could manage working in just about any department I was needed... and after all that, I still didn't get the job. I was informed by e-mail I didn't get it the next day.

Interview Question – Name a time where you were faced with a difficult question in an unfamiliar subject and what solution did you come up with or something like that.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, two days later interviewed in the WalnutCreek store. It went great- I had a rapport with the lady and she commented on leadership. Then I received an automatic email stating that my salary on my application was inappropriate, though I stated I'd be flexible. Pay hadn't been discussed.

Interview Question – What was a time you had to address a co-worker or friend doing something wrong or against the rules? What did you do?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Makeup Artist Interview

Makeup Artist
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was hired by Macy's on the spot during a very casual 20 minute in person interview. However, when working for a cosmetic line you also have to interview with them after, depending on the company this may be another 1-3 interviews.

Interview Question – The phone interview with any Estee Lauder companies is called "Talent Plus" it is a little unnerving the structure is that they ask a question and don't converse at all you feel like you're talking to yourself until they ask the following question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was a little room for negotiation. But usually there isn't much room to change the offer, since both Macys & the cosmetic company have to budget and agree on your salary.

Commission Sales Associate Interview

Commission Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very pleasant interview. Manager was engaging,. Sincere and interested in who I am and what I could contribute. He was extremely polite and attentive without being pretentious. Interview asked appropriate questions
Odviously very intelligent with knowledge of the products in hie department.

Interview Question – Questions were easy and to be expected for retail job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward . Professional, not a lot of unnecessary chatter.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Mainly asked what my working hours were and if I had any sales experience. Nothing too hard.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
Corte Madera, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process went very smoothly. I applied online and with-in a few days received an email saying they were interested in me. From there, I set up a date to go in and interview with the manager of the men's department. The interview took less than an hour and was hired on the spot. I was asked different questions about how I could benefit the company/increase sales, how I would react in different situations, etc. From there, they put me into a 3 day intensive training course on how to treat others and how to work the register. Overall, it was a very educational experience.

Interview Question – When dealing with a difficult customer, how would you remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Hayward, CA

I interviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email for me to schedule my interview date and time (5.30pm). Went to the Macys office 15 mins early and spoke to some kind of a supervisor , it took us 15 mins to finish the interview and go the offer but when I asked the wage :(.

Interview Question – its just basic, common sense and more on for customer service.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – minimum wage..

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Fulfillment Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received an e-mail saying I would be contacted soon. I was then allowed to go into a scheduling program and choose an interview date and time. I then got a confirmation e-mail. Arriving early, I waited in a rather shabby waiting room. And then an HR person came out and brought me into an office. She looked at my resume, asked me questions, left the room for about 5 minutes and then offered me a position.

Interview Question – What is your philosophy of selling?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – She made an hourly wage offer, and is accepted.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview then onsite interview that consisted of 3 rounds. The questions were a combination of job specific and behavior. When I left, 10 minutes later, I got a phone call saying that they would like to extend an offer. Quickest turnaround I've ever experienced.

Interview Question – Have you ever had experience using these tools?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The bonus and benefits are almost non-existent. Negotiate for a higher base to cover these limitations.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 65 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.