Macy's

47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales- Womens Shoes Interview

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

Interview Details – the interview was pretty straight forward asked why do you want to work at maces? whats your definition of providing good customer satisfaction and when is a time you provided this excellent customer satisfaction. Overall, after asking a few questions and going over the resume, the interview was completed (in total the interview lasted 20 minutes) and i was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult it was all straight forward just compare whatever experience you do have to the attributes they are looking for   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, offered me 9 plus commission

Very Easy Interview

Richmond, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2012.

Interview Details – the interview was pretty straight forward, they sat me in a room it was me and the interviewer ,he seemed nice. he asked me alittle about myself, then asked me how would i go about selling a macys credit card, and name a bad time when i had to work in a team and someone wasnt participating. after that he asked did i have any questions, and they said they didnt have any positions open for what i was applying for and he encouraged me not to give up. ;)

Interview Question – how would i go about selling macys credit card.   View Answer

Richmond, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email about two days later asking to set up an interview. The interview was not that bad. Seeing as I had recently graduated from University, the interviewer was a little surprised to have me in there and even gave me names of other places that were hiring! The interview was average but I knew I did not get the job when he said that my application had to get sent back to corporate. I waited 2 weeks for a response email and after two phone calls I finally received one saying they had no "appropriate" jobs for me.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to sell and idea or product?

Why Macy's?
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corte Madera, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Applied online. It was face to face interview. Interviewers were friendly. They were not able to provide much information about the salary, about how they establish an hourly rate. They did tell me about an excellent benefit package. I was contacted very soon and was advised to go through a basic store training.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the hourly rate a little bit. But their power to do anything was limited.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

Interview Details – Received an email almost immediately after submitting an online application. Attended the interview in formal, dress clothes. Questioned by interviewer. Immediately afterward, questioned by department manager of the department that initial interviewer recommended.

Interview Question – How would you handle multiple customers and stressful situations at the same time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – Had my interview at Macy's Stonestown Galleria. Typical interview about retail sales, one on one interview. My interview took about 30 mins & my interviewee was rude to me & unprofessional. Bad experience because the guy was so rude.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself that I HAVE NEVER heard before - I don't want to hear that you're a hardworking person, etc etc etc.   Answer Question

Retail Support Interview

Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had a friend (an employee of Macy's) refer me to a job here. I went into the HR department and got to talk to a really nice lady who guided me through the online process and asked me how everything went when I was done. I got an email from Macy's the next day and I scheduled the earliest interview.

I went in and had to wait about 10 minutes. A guy came up to me and shook my hand. He was pretty friendly. He kept apologizing for sneezing and coughing because he was recovering from being sick. He led me to a room full of tables, chairs and computers. Then we began the interview. He asked me about 6 questions, and about 5 of them were scenario questions, like "As a support retailer at Macy's, we often have to ________. Give me an example of a time where you had to ________ and how you responded." I wasn't expecting so many of those, and I could feel my resolve weakening with every successive question, but I think I did pretty well. He told me that everything sounded great.

Then, at the veeeeery end of the interview, after all the blood, sweat and tears, he told me that he couldn't hire me because they weren't hiring seasonal workers anymore. So that was that. At least he benched my application/interview so if I come back for the job, I have a better chance of getting it.

Interview Question – What is an example of a time when you saw someone doing something questionable, and how did you respond to it?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Pleasanton, CA

Interview Details – After submitting and application online, received an email to schedule an appointment the day after. On the day of the meeting, arrived 10 minutes early and was told to wait for the interviewer to arrive. When she arrived, she introduced herself and went to a big room to start the interview. She brought a packet which apparently had the info from the application and flipped to the first page without even looking at it. She then told me right off the bat that they can't hire me, because I wasn't able to work for a long time for the company. Was not asked any interview questions and the interview was already over so I left. It did not feel professional at all and it felt like a bad experience, after all it was my first interview. Don't understand why they even bothered to offer an interview if they don't hire seasonal employees.

Interview Question – How long do you plan on working?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Interview Details – They send you through a group interview. You are given a card with a word and you have to describe what the word means to you. They then advance you to a 3 on 1 interview. They then ask you more personal questions about your goals, past experience. If necessary, they give you another one on one interview wherein you practically have the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Come prepared with your desired salary! They are willing to negotiate!

Sales Associate Cosmetics Interview

Sales Associate Cosmetics
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online in 2009 during early November. I had previous retail management experience but since I was relocating before I found a job I applied where I knew I had the better chance of being hired. My application was responded to within about 24 hours for an interview set up which I did the next day. There were about 15 other people waiting for an interview (holiday help mostly) and I got lucky enough to meet the cosmetics manager who noticed my resume and set me up with an interview with my vendor. From there I did a personality test and then met with my vendor who instructed Macys to hire me. It was a 3-4 interview kind of process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes I was better able to negotiate when I transferred from one store to another (its very easy! so good if you move often).

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's