Macy's

2.5

71 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer - Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

I met them at a career fair and was invited to an onsite interview. They gave me a problem sheet with Unix commands, Java code, what would you do scenarios, and some puzzle type questions. You have about a half hour to finish it. It isn't hard if you're familiar with every aspect of it but I was not so I ended up not finishing.

Interview Questions
    • If I remember correctly there was a brain teaser question about how to weight something using a some constraints (e.g. only weighting things 3 times, can't put this and that together, etc). I've seen it before but I didn't know it off the top of my head and didn't have time to think about it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Macy's.

I was contacted by HR via email and they setup the onsite appointment.
    Talked with couple of HR representatives, during which they asked me about my resume and my personal life.
    I was given a written test for the technical interview.
    I was given a offer within few weeks via email and phone confirmation.

Interview Questions
    • If i had to pick one most difficult question it would be a puzzle question that requires to find one object that weighs different from all others by using the old scale twice.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and got an email to schedule an interview 2 days later, I went to the interview 15 minutes early. I sat down with the interviewer and they asked me a couple of situational questions lasting about 5-8 minutes and it was over.

Flex Team Member/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Submitted application online received an invite to schedule a in-store interview met one on one with a hiring manager for the department and which I applied for. Got offered the position and received a document with my pay rate and position and the job description. I was then told later I would receive a phone call from the HR manager of when training starts . Training is about a few days til a week depending on fast your get through the computer training.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't given the option of negotiating a pay rate , I was told what my pay rate would be.

Administrative Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

I applied on-line on a Thursday and received an e-mail the next day requesting I schedule myself for an interview. The site was very easy and so I scheduled my interview for the following Monday.

My first interview was with the Administrative Support Manager. The questions were in STAR format, which can be difficult if you're not prepared, but the questions asked were very easy. The ASM also went over the job description and that they were looking for someone who could handle the HR and Administrative tasks of the store. The interview went really well and I was asked to come back for a 2nd interview with the HR manager the next day.

My second interview was alright and easier than the first, but I really felt the HR Manager was in no-way as engaging in the interview as the ASM. She was smiling and upbeat the whole time, but I kept getting the sense that she couldn't wait for me to leave. At the end of the interview the HR Manager told me that the hiring decision would be left up to the ASM and I would hear back in a couple days.

Unfortunately, the very next morning I get an automated e-mail saying my application is no longer being considered. I was very disappointed given that I have a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, work experience in HR Administration, AND I used to work for Macy's back in '05-'06. I guess that wasn't good enough.

Overall, this could have been a positive interview experience, but the automated rejection e-mail was a despicable way to end an interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a sell a product/idea to a customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you received outstanding customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you encountered another employee giving bad customer service and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to gather and present information to multiple people.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Applied online for three different positions at the same location in early August and I got an email saying I was eligible for an interview within a week after. I scheduled for the first available interview time a couple days later and prepped reviewing questions and answers on Glassdoor.
    The interview started almost a half hour after the scheduled time, but, overall, the interview went very well. The manager and other staff were very friendly and accommodating and the questions were just as expected based on feedback on Glassdoor.
    Unfortunately, I am a full time college student so my schedule didn't match the required shifts for the positions I applied to and I was declined via email a day or two after I met with the manager. Nevertheless, I had a very encouraging experience with Macy's.

Interview Questions
    • Basic retail questions (was only asked a few):
      Why Macy's?
      How would you begin a conversation with a customer?
      How would you upscale a purchase?

Answer Question

On Call Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

-How would you go about selling macys cards
    -How would you help somebody looking to buy a pair of pants
    -Describe a time where you had to work in a group to reach a goal
    -How would you celebrate a purchase
    -What would you do if you saw a associate stealing/ Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw a associate stealing / Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest   Answer Question
    Very simple, Explained the pay, Hours and Benefits.

Release Coordinator (Change Management) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

Typical Q/A with a situational question at the end

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: if there were 24 bottles on the table and 23 of them went off, then will it be odd or even?   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

She said to me , had anouther interview with manager but after 2 daye I got an email about we do not have an appropriate job opportunity for you and i dont know why she said to me I have second interview and call to the other manager for interview me after finish first interview

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

Interview process went very smoothly. I applied online and with-in a few days received an email saying they were interested in me. From there, I set up a date to go in and interview with the manager of the men's department. The interview took less than an hour and was hired on the spot. I was asked different questions about how I could benefit the company/increase sales, how I would react in different situations, etc. From there, they put me into a 3 day intensive training course on how to treat others and how to work the register. Overall, it was a very educational experience.

Interview Questions
    • When dealing with a difficult customer, how would you remedy the situation?   Answer Question