Macy's

Getting the Interview

146 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Super easy. All questions can be found online, some questions are asked about your personal skills and how you deal with upset customers, a big one is how you would go about selling a macy's card, since theyre real serious about their cards.

Interview Question – How would you upscale a purchase?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application to Macy's, and received an email requesting that I choose an interview time. I selected my three times and ended up getting an interview for the first time I requested. I went and spoke with the Hiring Manager, who seemed a bit harried. It seemed as though they were in the midst of a hiring blitz, so it felt as though the interview was more of a formality.

Interview Question – How would I, as an employee, react if a customer seemed to be irate?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Seasonal Interview

Westminster, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2011.

Interview Details – A week after finishing online application, a manager called asked me to go in for an interview. The questions are fairly simple. They just wanted to know if you are able to use a register and know customer service. The lady manager who interviewed me told me I was too shy and the would have to take some time to consider. She called me five minutes after I left to tell me she is willing to give me a chance and to go in and fill out paperwork for employment.

Interview Question – Are you okay with the act of persuading customers to open Macy's credit card?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – After having applied online I was sent an email asking me to pick a date for my interview. That day I had to go to the administrative office in the store and wait for a bit for another person to be done with their interview. Once one of the managers was available, he came out and greeted me and took me into his office. He basically asked me about my previous jobs, and if I would give priority to Macy's over my other current job. The other questions asked were about where I would prefer to work in the store? why I chose that area? How I would sell a purse to a costumer? what would I say to persuade her? And that was pretty much it, it was very simple and that same day I was told were and when I would start working.

Interview Question – About how I would deal with an upset costumer.   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Received email indicating I would be getting a phone call for an interview, person who called seemed to be from a central call center and wasn't from the actual store. Asked some standard questions and seemed to be writing down or assessing responses on a computer. Was offered position at the end of the interview. It was fairly quick.

Interview Question – How would you use technology to help customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. Was simply told the pay rate.

Milford, CT

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview Process was quick and easy. They wanted to get everyone in and out as quickly as possible. Not much effort needed.

Interview Question – They asked me where I saw my career going in 5, 10, 15 years.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for seasonal work, got offered an interview through email the next day (probably an automatic interview for seasonal) and scheduled my interview for the next week as I was sick and wanted time to get better. My interviewer was friendly and made me feel super comfortable. I had looked around on here prior to the interview and was under the impression that I would only be answering 2-5 questions but got asked about ten, which took me by surprise. When the interview was over, the woman left for a minute or two and came back offering me a position!

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to convince someone to purchase something   View Answer

Lehigh Valley, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2012.

Interview Details – Dress in black and white, semi to professional. SMILE. Be upbeat. I applied online. I was called to the store for an interview. After about a half hour of interview, I was offered the position. They scheduled me at that time to come in for my first training session (paid). Very professional interview - for a minimum wage job.

Interview Question – The interviewer is trying to gauge your willingness to help customers. Hardest questions involved how you would handle situations where you are being pulled in several different directions and still keep everyone happy. The questions are on the money too, because it happens everyday. Retail is tougher than it looks. But it is also fun when you help the customer find just that right purchase and they are happy!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation here. This is a minimum wage job.

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied through the website and they gave me a group interview with about 10 people. Decisions are made almost immediately after the interviews. They make you wait outside HR and call people in one by one to make an offer. The job is seasonal so the wage is hourly and pays the minimum wage of the city. Also, if they like you, they'll call you back again the next year to see if you'd like to work seasonal again. The hours are negotiable, but you should initially be as flexible as possible.

Interview Question – They passed around cards to people during the group interview with a word on it. You'd have to hold up the work and tell the interviewers the relevance of the work to the job.   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted through email to schedule an interview time. Interviewer read about 8 questions off of a pre-printed form and from what I saw, they were graded as pass/fail. None of them were a big surprise, all pretty basic behavioral and situational questions. Was offered the position at the end of the interview and signed up for a training date.

Interview Question – How would you get a customer to sign up for the store credit card?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 146 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.