Macy's

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

2.1

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and within a few weeks, I had an interview set up. I went into their offices for the interview and was met a little awkwardly by someone who told me that I would have to wait for a little bit while the interviewer finished up with a meeting of some sort. I don't think it was this poor guy's job to handle people coming in for interviews, but he was kind of forced to do it since his desk was the closest to the front door. I think he would have rather wanted to be kept busy by whatever he was working on his computer screen then deal with the people coming in for possible seasonal work.

After the awkwardness had passed, I waited a little bit past my scheduled appointment time for the interviewer to finish up their meeting and was then invited into her office for my interview. The interviewer had a list of required questions that she had to ask, prepared as I sat down and settled myself. Some of these questions were your usual and cliche questions that everyone should have prepared, but others were about technology use that kind of threw me for a loop.

Macy's asked questions about how to operate portable devices like Ipads and the like. What made this even stranger is that the interviewer said that in New Mexico (the location of the Macy's I applied to), only management had the opportunity to use such devices.

After she asked her mandatory questions, I started to ask her my own questions. I personally like to know the internal workings of a business (I aspire to be an entrepreneur) and how leaders or managers lead or organize their duties and constituents, so my questions were encompassed around those topics, and I thought we had some nice, fairly casual conversations, where the interviewer was very open with company policy and her own experiences in the company.

At the closing of the interview, the interviewer said that she would "bench" my application, which is not a common thing that she did (so I assume that was a good thing), which was very uplifting, but in the end, nothing ever came from it.

Interview Questions
  • How well I can use technology like an Ipad, even though the associates at Macy's's in my state do not even have access to the specific technology that interviewer's were required to ask about.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Applied online. Received an email and was asked to come in for an interview. Went in and spojke to the Hr manager then on the following day met with the Beauty manager we spoke briefly and got the job.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Was interviewed by a manager, and she asked pretty standard questions like "Tell me of a time that you had to help achieve a goal in a previous position", "Why do you want to work here?", and "Which department do you want to work in, why, and how would you help customers in that area?"

Interview Questions
    • "tell me about a mistake you did in a previous job, and what you did to avoid doing it again"   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online which was kind of daunting. I've applied to other retail jobs online and the application was relatively short and to the point. Macy's, on the other hand, was much longer and wanted more info, which made it longer to fill out.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Firstly you fill out an online application. If you've never done one with Macy's before it can take about 30 minutes or so. Its a standard questionnaire, so it's fairly easy. The actual interview is also very simple, I was asked about how I would sell products and dealing with pressure.

Interview Questions
    None at all. When your seasonal the pay is set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online for the Macy's in the mall near my house before Black Friday. Three days later, I received an email that Macy's will calling me soon. I received their called today.The interviewer very nice. She give me a brief description about the interview. She ask me about my work experience and scenario. that 10-14 questions. The interview took about 20-25 minutes. After the interview, she offer me the job. She told me about the paid and schedule for my training. I very excited to start working there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online via CareerBuilder that made you fill out a "personality" questionnaire (12 pages worth), then got en email to schedule an interview online. Picked the earliest date I could, came in, waited about 20 minutes with ~20 people. Taken to interview room (5-6 simultaneous 1:1 interviews), asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me to ask questions, then went to "check what position is available" and came back with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger.   Answer Question
    • Macy's highly values integrity. Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable-- they come back with the position/department and hourly wage. You either accept it or reject it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online, the next day got an email to schedule an appointment for an interview. One of the managers asked me about my previous work experience, asked some situational questions. Make sure to bring a resume even though they don't use it and make sure you know what MAGIC selling is. It will help a lot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you upsale some pants?   View Answer
    • How would you get a customer to apply for a Macy's Star Rewards card?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $9.10 an hour

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

I searched on Indeed.com and found an opening for a seasonal associate at Macys, I received an email 3 days later telling me to schedule my interview, I just did the interview yesterday (Friday, November 21st, 2014) at 3:30pm. I got there 30 minutes early and waited with 2 other people. I got called in around 3:15, (I highly suggest getting their early) and was greeted with a handshake and eye contact. He said they were under construction, so he had to pull two chairs from a separate room into a closet type room and kept apologized for it being so small and kept saying "This feels weird" (kind of unprofessional) but anywho, he read my application quickly and then went on to the questions which were read of a sheet, (about 9 questions) he wrote them down and I definitely stumbled over my answers which but he said I can take my time, no rush. He then said "Okay I will be right back". A hiring manager then came in who was very talkative and did most of the talking and asked me a few questions here and there. Very easy. He told me he could see me selling men's clothing and that he actually needs to fill permanent commission based position. He asked if I could see myself trying to meet a goal, I said "The pressure of having to meet a goal would give me more motivation which would definitely help me learn faster". He likes that answer. He then asked my availability, which I think is really all their looking for, people who can show up to work any day, any time. I was then taken to a different room where a woman printed out a paper for me with dates of my training pay (8.25) and regular pay (9.50 with commission) she joked and said "Wow you already got a raise". I think he liked that I was really listening to him and smiled a lot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the Macys credit card and how will you go about selling one?   View Answer
    No negotiation, I was happy with the starting pay since I have no sales experience.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and within 3 days they sent me an email saying that I had to schedule my own interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day at 11am. The interview lasted about 30 minutes but there were soooo many questions. There were 15 questions, all of which can be found here on glassdoor. The interview was pretty boring, after I answered all the questions the woman left for about 15 minutes. She came back and asked if I could come back Thursday to interview again with the shoe department head. So now I am awaiting how that interview will go. I'm confused why there needs to be 2 interviews for a seasonal sales associate position, oh well.

Interview Questions
    • The only question I didn't have a good example planned for was "Name a time when you helped out someone else with a problem, how did you resolve it"   Answer Question