Macy's

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.0

198 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online which was kind of daunting. I've applied to other retail jobs online and the application was relatively short and to the point. Macy's, on the other hand, was much longer and wanted more info, which made it longer to fill out.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Firstly you fill out an online application. If you've never done one with Macy's before it can take about 30 minutes or so. Its a standard questionnaire, so it's fairly easy. The actual interview is also very simple, I was asked about how I would sell products and dealing with pressure.

Interview Questions
    None at all. When your seasonal the pay is set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

I applied online for the Macy's in the mall near my house before Black Friday. Three days later, I received an email that Macy's will calling me soon. I received their called today.The interviewer very nice. She give me a brief description about the interview. She ask me about my work experience and scenario. that 10-14 questions. The interview took about 20-25 minutes. After the interview, she offer me the job. She told me about the paid and schedule for my training. I very excited to start working there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

Applied online via CareerBuilder that made you fill out a "personality" questionnaire (12 pages worth), then got en email to schedule an interview online. Picked the earliest date I could, came in, waited about 20 minutes with ~20 people. Taken to interview room (5-6 simultaneous 1:1 interviews), asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me to ask questions, then went to "check what position is available" and came back with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger.   Answer Question
    • Macy's highly values integrity. Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable-- they come back with the position/department and hourly wage. You either accept it or reject it.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

I searched on Indeed.com and found an opening for a seasonal associate at Macys, I received an email 3 days later telling me to schedule my interview, I just did the interview yesterday (Friday, November 21st, 2014) at 3:30pm. I got there 30 minutes early and waited with 2 other people. I got called in around 3:15, (I highly suggest getting their early) and was greeted with a handshake and eye contact. He said they were under construction, so he had to pull two chairs from a separate room into a closet type room and kept apologized for it being so small and kept saying "This feels weird" (kind of unprofessional) but anywho, he read my application quickly and then went on to the questions which were read of a sheet, (about 9 questions) he wrote them down and I definitely stumbled over my answers which but he said I can take my time, no rush. He then said "Okay I will be right back". A hiring manager then came in who was very talkative and did most of the talking and asked me a few questions here and there. Very easy. He told me he could see me selling men's clothing and that he actually needs to fill permanent commission based position. He asked if I could see myself trying to meet a goal, I said "The pressure of having to meet a goal would give me more motivation which would definitely help me learn faster". He likes that answer. He then asked my availability, which I think is really all their looking for, people who can show up to work any day, any time. I was then taken to a different room where a woman printed out a paper for me with dates of my training pay (8.25) and regular pay (9.50 with commission) she joked and said "Wow you already got a raise". I think he liked that I was really listening to him and smiled a lot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the Macys credit card and how will you go about selling one?   View Answer
    No negotiation, I was happy with the starting pay since I have no sales experience.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and within 3 days they sent me an email saying that I had to schedule my own interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day at 11am. The interview lasted about 30 minutes but there were soooo many questions. There were 15 questions, all of which can be found here on glassdoor. The interview was pretty boring, after I answered all the questions the woman left for about 15 minutes. She came back and asked if I could come back Thursday to interview again with the shoe department head. So now I am awaiting how that interview will go. I'm confused why there needs to be 2 interviews for a seasonal sales associate position, oh well.

Interview Questions
    • The only question I didn't have a good example planned for was "Name a time when you helped out someone else with a problem, how did you resolve it"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

APPLICATION PROCESS:
    I applied online--this included the assessment test, resume and normal questionnaire. Two days after I submitted the proper forms, I got an email from the company telling me that they would like to contact me soon to conduct a phone interview.

PREPARATION PROCESS:
    I looked at Glassdoor A LOT and it was really helpful. From the question examples I found on here, I wrote them out on a Word doc and typed up bullet-pointed answers to the according questions. I Googled typical interview questions, did my research on the Macy's official site and practiced questioning and answering myself to my personal "Glassdoor Question" list I printed out for myself. This took about a day and a half. A week later is when I first got contacted by Macy's.

INTERVIEW PROCESS:
    It was just done over the phone, took about 30mins (including the wait time to get a representative + the interviewer going over my results at the end). My interviewer was a woman and she was pretty good I guess and she asked me about five main questions and a few clarifying ones. She was also very patient when I asked to repeat some questions. Honestly, after going through the phone interview, I knew I could have done a bit better because I said "um" a bit more than I would have liked but in the end it was okay since I was offered the position. She asked all the questions that I found on Glassdoor, just worded a bit differently. Overall, it was a pretty quick process and I thought I did better than expected being this my first professional interview.

TIPS (most specifically to phone interviews):
    - Stand up. It builds more confidence.
    - Practice. Practice. Practice.
    - If it's over the phone, it helps to print out your answers to possible questions like how I did and paste them on a wall so you can refer to them (obviously the interviewer can't see you).
    - Be prepared to use examples every chance you get.
    - Be honest. No one likes a liar.
    - Warm up your voice beforehand so you don't croak especially if it's in the morning and you recently woke up.
    - Don't be afraid to politely ask the interviewer to repeat a question.
    - Smile when you can while talking, it shows through your voice.
    - Keep your phone on you at all times--learned that the hard way. They called right when I went upstairs to grab something and I ended up missing it.
    - With that said, don't hesitate to call back.
    - This cannot be emphasized enough: BE YOURSELF.

Interview Questions
    • (The ones that I could remember clearly)
      1) What is your favorite season (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter)?
      2) Why work at Macy's? What can you contribute to the company?
      3) Tell me about time you had to sell a product to a customer.
      4) Tell me about a time when you had to give another product option to a customer. How did you do it?
      5) Tell me about a time when someone on your team was not doing what they were told. What did you do and what was the outcome?

View Answer
    No negotiation. She told me I would be paid $9.52 per hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

The interview with very well and very quick. The manager was very friendly, joked and smiled, and made me feel comfortable. She made me feel like I was talking to a friend the entire time with made me at ease because I'm a very shy person. She let my know on the spot that I did very good during the interview and they need people with my personality

Interview Questions
    • If you were ever in a situation where your integrity was tested in a work place, school, and etc what would you do? & why?   Answer Question
    the min. in the state

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Was a rushed process and not even there for 15 minutes. Common questions are asked of why work here or about helping others dress. Also asked about experience being really important to them.

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview proces was very quick and easy took about 15 min. The hiring manager came in she looked drained and a bit tired. I wooed her and I was hired on the spot! I saw several people before me get turned down. But I was confident and answered the questions to the best of my ability.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to take risks or do you like stability? How comfortable are you with change?   Answer Question
    $9.00 an hr