Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Lynnwood, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I checked in at the front desk, waited a couple minutes, and a lady showed up and led me to another room to conduct the interview. She didn't seem entirely experienced because she stuttered over some questions, but that actually helped make me a bit more comfortable knowing that she was probably just as nervous as I was. I answered every question honestly, and I thought the interview went well. She ended the interview but I was the one who had to ask when I would hear back. I got an e-mail a few days later saying that I was a good candidate but my "availability didn't match" or something. This confused me because I put my availability as every day for pretty much the entire day. I suspect that it was just one of their generic rejection e-mail forms or something.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

There was a group interview where the went around and asked everyone questions. After the group interview if you got a follow up interview it was one on one. They did call backs to let you know if you got the position.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at macys. are you able to work seasonal hours. do you have prior experience in retail.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied online, and received an e-mail the next day to set up an appointment time for an interview. The interview itself was okay, mainly scenario questions. The interviewer just read off a paper for most of it. Afterwards, they asked about my availability and what area I might be interested in working.

Interview Questions

• A customer is trying on pants, and they do not fit. The customer starts to feel discouraged about having gained weight and having trouble fitting into the pants. How would you help this customer?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Question and Answer session was pretty standard. The interview overall was very quick. The interview seemed a little dry, not many opportunities to "tell them about yourself" or highlight positive aspects of your resume.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you witnessed a wrong doing and how you handled that situation.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and within a few weeks, I had an interview set up. I went into their offices for the interview and was met a little awkwardly by someone who told me that I would have to wait for a little bit while the interviewer finished up with a meeting of some sort. I don't think it was this poor guy's job to handle people coming in for interviews, but he was kind of forced to do it since his desk was the closest to the front door. I think he would have rather wanted to be kept busy by whatever he was working on his computer screen then deal with the people coming in for possible seasonal work. After the awkwardness had passed, I waited a little bit past my scheduled appointment time for the interviewer to finish up their meeting and was then invited into her office for my interview. The interviewer had a list of required questions that she had to ask, prepared as I sat down and settled myself. Some of these questions were your usual and cliche questions that everyone should have prepared, but others were about technology use that kind of threw me for a loop. Macy's asked questions about how to operate portable devices like Ipads and the like. What made this even stranger is that the interviewer said that in New Mexico (the location of the Macy's I applied to), only management had the opportunity to use such devices. After she asked her mandatory questions, I started to ask her my own questions. I personally like to know the internal workings of a business (I aspire to be an entrepreneur) and how leaders or managers lead or organize their duties and constituents, so my questions were encompassed around those topics, and I thought we had some nice, fairly casual conversations, where the interviewer was very open with company policy and her own experiences in the company. At the closing of the interview, the interviewer said that she would "bench" my application, which is not a common thing that she did (so I assume that was a good thing), which was very uplifting, but in the end, nothing ever came from it.

Interview Questions

• How well I can use technology like an Ipad, even though the associates at Macy's's in my state do not even have access to the specific technology that interviewer's were required to ask about.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email and was asked to come in for an interview. Went in and spojke to the Hr manager then on the following day met with the Beauty manager we spoke briefly and got the job.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Was interviewed by a manager, and she asked pretty standard questions like "Tell me of a time that you had to help achieve a goal in a previous position", "Why do you want to work here?", and "Which department do you want to work in, why, and how would you help customers in that area?"

Interview Questions

• "tell me about a mistake you did in a previous job, and what you did to avoid doing it again"   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied online which was kind of daunting. I've applied to other retail jobs online and the application was relatively short and to the point. Macy's, on the other hand, was much longer and wanted more info, which made it longer to fill out.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Firstly you fill out an online application. If you've never done one with Macy's before it can take about 30 minutes or so. Its a standard questionnaire, so it's fairly easy. The actual interview is also very simple, I was asked about how I would sell products and dealing with pressure.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None at all. When your seasonal the pay is set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online via CareerBuilder that made you fill out a "personality" questionnaire (12 pages worth), then got en email to schedule an interview online. Picked the earliest date I could, came in, waited about 20 minutes with ~20 people. Taken to interview room (5-6 simultaneous 1:1 interviews), asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me to ask questions, then went to "check what position is available" and came back with offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to sell something to a stranger.   Answer Question
    • Macy's highly values integrity. Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable-- they come back with the position/department and hourly wage. You either accept it or reject it.