Macy's

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.2

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

When you apply online and are emailed an invitation to schedule an appointment, the appointments aren't usually there the first time. I had to schedule mine a week after my application was accepted. Also, it's best to arrive early enough so you have time to actually find the interview room. I walked around for 10 minutes looking for it until I asked an associate to lead me to the waiting room herself. This didn't leave me a lot of time to review my prepared questions/answers. But when I brought in, the lady was friendly and diffused my nervousness fairly quickly. Now, I've never really had much experience in corporate retailing like Macy's, so some of the questions, she had to clarify. It went fairly quickly, only 15 minutes max. The main reason is probably because the job I applied for was already filled, but she said she'd keep my application for whenever they were in need. Overall, it was a pleasant interview.

Questions I remember her asking me dealt with...

Why I chose Macy's. It's best to do your research here. She was impressed that I mentioned Macy's has been around since 1858 and that it grew in size and reputation.

What integrity meant to me and to clarify/give an example. (They need to know they can trust you, because most of the time during the job you won't be supervised. You'd be given instructions/some direction and the rest is all on you.)

When working with a group provide an example of what you did when someone wasn't pulling their weight (this is asked because they want to know how you'll respond should it happen during the job. ie, you pick up the slack, you talk to them about it, tell the manager..etc.) For me, every time my co-worker wasn't pulling her weight, I'd pick up the slack for her. But I did tell my interviewer that if it's a recurring problem, I would tell her to help and tell the manager.

Have you ever sold anything by yourself.

What was my availability? (For this kind of job the hours are everywhere. There's no guarantee that you'd actually be working the 9 hours advertised. Because of this, the job is technically on-call. For me, I have open availability, and can handle that.)

She talked about the different kinds of racks merchandisers work with; hanging for clothes/dresses, and flat for boxes. The goal for the support team would be to finish processing one rack in one hour. Each rack (hanging is what we discussed) can hold up to 150 double-racked, and 50-60 single racked. She asked how I'd go about making the goal. I said I'd make it a game, (she laughed at this) then that I'd see if I could take the challenge.

I wasn't asked Macy's credit card questions, anything about clothes or up-selling a product.

Interview Questions
  • I expected to be asked 9-15 questions like others mentioned, but I really only answered 4 or 5.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Did the application online and they responded by email 2 days later. I scheduled an interview for the following week. (Wear all black if you can) That's the company's dress code. The interview went fairly quick. Most of the questions consisted of "Tell me about a time..."

Pay could not compete with my last position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied online on Macy's site, received an interview via email in a week. When you check your email you have to schedule an appointment, I chose the day after the next. I think that's the reason why I wasn't prepared. Either way, I tried my best to study the questions and did my best. The interviewer was sweet even thought I knew I hesitated and spoke unclear. The job was a loss but that was on my part, either way the interview wasn't so bad.

Interview Questions
    • Why Macy's?

What do you know about the position you are applying for?

Situation questions like "What do you do when someone has done something unlawful," or "name a situation..." etc.

Answer Question

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Applied online. Got a call 3 days later and set up an interview at the HR department. Interview was basic retail questions and then they hired me on the spot and told me to wait a few days while they get me scheduled for training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Fill out online app, got the email for an interview, went to the interview manager was nice friendly I answered all the questions and thought I made a good impression. Think they wanted someone earlier in the morning and I could only do evening shift as the position I applied for.

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The process was extremely laid back, it was in a tiny room that looked like it wasn't meant to be an office but a storage closet. The questions were very easy and she hired me on the stop. However, the people who were to be my new bosses didn't seem to thrilled. I could hear them saying "this is the second person she's hired this week" from the other room.

Interview Questions
    • Literally all the questions were online, nothing was hard.   View Answer
    None.

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Questions were from a script. Hiring manager was very nice. Basic questions on customer service and how to balance work tasks. The hiring manager seemed very interested in my school and extracuricular life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in June 2013.

Not that great. Interview started 30 min late. Interviewer was unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions had really nothing to do with the job title. Same questions are asked to anyone that's interviewing for any position with Macy's. Very generic questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

Applied online and about 2 months later a 1:1 interview.It was very easy lasted about 10 minutes.The hardest part was basically navigating the store it's massive!

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions like
      Why Macy's?
      Have you ever done stock before?

Answer Question
    Beware you have to be there at 5am. Low pay and random hours. No way to call if there is an emergency .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in December 2011.

I applied online. I was then contacted a few days later by email to select a date and time to come in for an interview. I chose the next available time. When I got to the store, I went to the HR room and had to sign in. There were 2 other people that were there before me. By the the time it was my turn to speak with someone, it was about an hour after my scheduled time (i had arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled time). I was asked the basic questions "why did you apply" "when can you start" "describe a time you saw someone do something unlawful and what you did". Because I applied for stock, I wouldn't be working the cash registers, but still be on the sales floor and was asked how I would deal with customers, even though that wasn't a part of the job description. The woman that interviewed me was a bit confused by the questions she had to ask me because (in her own words) she never interviewed someone for the stock position and was used to interviewing people for the cash register position. I was hired on the spot and was told that it would be an on call position. Even though at the start of the interview I was told I would be working the days I indicated I could work on the application. So that was one problem I tried to sort out. But I couldn't work it out, because everyone that my interviewer talked with said that the job could only be offered as on call.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you saw someone do something unlawful and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you offered great customer service?   View Answer

I wouldn't have been able to come in at any time since I'm a full time student. And from what I was told, I would be mostly called in on the days/hours I had class.