Macy's

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Started at the career fair then had two phone interviews; one with the recruiter, the other with a District Manager. Was invited to the onsite interview the next week. It is two days and expenses are paid. I recommend you make an effort to build relationships with the other candidates and employees. While they are not officially reviewing your performance during meals and transition periods, your behavior will have an influence on their perception of you.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

for on-campus recruiting there were 1 parts to it: situational and behavioral

Interview Questions
    • situational is a little unexpected -- there is no prep you can really do for it.
      they give you about an in-store example and want to see how you handle it with employees and such.
        View Answer

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Spoke with a recruiter at a campus job fair, received an interview. Interview was two parts, a case study then a behavioral. For the case, I received a list of 5 employees on my "team", and had to decide which one to coach based on a short bio and sales stats. The behavioral was fairly straightforward, but I was asked questions at a fairly rapid pace.

Interview Questions
    • The case. Was only given 10 minutes to come up with an answer, then had to give a 5 minute presentation.   Answer Question

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

There was two 30-minute interviews:

1) One will be a behavioral based interview.The best way to prepare is to think of good examples from your work history that may relate to job functions of the program.

2) The second interview is a coaching exercise. You will have about 5 minutes of instruction, 15 minutes to review the data and plan your presentation, and 3-4 minutes to present your plan to your interviewer. For this activity, you are in the role of a Sales Manager and tasked with reviewing your four associates' scorecards and personality profiles, and determining which one you would like to coach to increase productivity for your department. You will present a coaching plan for this person to an interviewer. They will be assessing your analytical, interpersonal, and presentation skills during this interview.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer a lot of behavior questions, but also know why you want to work for retail!   Answer Question

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macy's.

Interviewed on campus after meeting and speaking with a recruiter at Career Fair.

Invited to second round in Cincinnati, OH. Two day event. First day: Introduction to event, and interviewers, with a dinner to end the day. Treat every part as an interview. Second day: Interviews all day: each group moves around in a different order. Interviews include behavioral, and business exercises, similar to on campus interview.

Amazing individuals, very thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you lead a group and they were not willing to cooperate. How did you handle this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2013.

They give you a coaching exercise where they give you 10 minutes to brainstorm a way to coach an employee. You have the option to pick between about 6 employees and you speak on behalf of one of them. I would be sure to describe all of them in short detail because I only focused on one. You then go into another room and they ask you a series of basic interview questions like "why Macy's?" and "when is a time you had to make a quick decision?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in January 2012.

I found out about the Macy's Store Management EDP from working in the store and communicating with a recruiter the end of my junior year. I started the process end of August-beginning of September. Since they did not visit my school, I had a phone interview which was behavioral based questions. I also had to complete a timed retail math test. It took about a month before I was able to even set up my second interview, which was another behavioral based interview via webcam. In both cases, they are looking for examples in which you have demonstrated leadership, considering this is for a position in which you will be leading a team.

After that interview, it was another month before I got any feedback indicating whether or not I was moving on to the on-site interviewing. I work for Macy's, and they had apparently notified my HRM to tell me the good news, which to my knowledge never happend.
    Once you're invited to the on-sites, you have to complete a series of online questionnaires, one of which I took over 3 years ago. They're pretty simple. One is to see how you behave in certain situations, how you would fit with their culture.

As everyone has mentioned before, they really take great care of the candidates for the on-sites. I stayed at a great hotel, they took us out to dinner and provided breakfast and lunch on the last day. If you go to the on-sites, make sure you keep your receipts because they reimburse costs associated with the trip.

So the on-sites...the first day is all about seeing how you interact with the other candidates and making yourself standout. You learn more about Macy's and have a few guest speakers talk about their experience and there is a Q&A. The second day is when all the real interviewing and group work happens. Candidates are put into teams to go through the activites of the day. You will complete two more 1:1 interviews, this will vary depending on what interviews you have completed prior to the on-sites. I had an interview based on the results of the personality test that we had to take, which just is to see what you say in comparision to what you said online. This I struggled with a little bit because in the past 3 years or so, some of my opinions have changed, therefore; I may have not been consistent with every answer. The other 1:1 was a case in which you select an associate to coach based on a department's scorecard results. Since I had worked with Macy's for over 3 years, I found this to be easy because I was very familiar with their process of coaching and MAGIC selling.

We also did two group activities. One was to review a store's scorecard and select three departments in which you would focus on that week in order to improve sales. Everyone presents their choices and then there is a short Q&A with the executives that are evaluating you. The second activity was to make your claim as to why the department you manage, should have a full-time position added. You get time to prepare, present to the group then come together to make collectively decide the best option for the store. In this activity, it's not about making sure your department is the one chosen, necessarily. You have to decide as a group what is the best thing to do for the store. Also, this is another major point where they look at your personality and leadership skills. This is one of the best times to try to demonstrate that and impress them.

There is also a program overview which just goes over what to expect and the different steps in the program. They get back to you in two weeks to let you know if they want you to join the Magic of Macy's.

I did not get an offer and when I asked for feedback, I was told I would get it, yet I'm still waiting on that. Hopefully I get it, I have a feeling I will not.

I think they do a great job with the interviewing process and if you are interested in a retail career or leadership opportunity, this is a fantastic program. Although I will not be staying with Macy's , I have learned so much about retail, sales and leadership and am excited to use my knowledge in another opportunity. Good luck to anyone interviewing!

Interview Questions
    • If you are not new to interviewing, nothing should be a surprise. Some questions the ask are:
      Why Macy's/retail? Are you okay with having to work nighs/weekends? Tell me about a goal you have for yourself? Tell me about a time you had to tell a supervisor bad news?
        Answer Question

Executive Development Program - Store Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

I was referred to Macys HR for the EDP Store Manager Track. I was given a call by one of the HR recruiters who asked me several behavorial questions. After that my second interview was with another HR recruiter who asked the same set of behavorial questions. He was quite dry. Even though I felt the interview went well, I was told I would hear something within 2 weeks. It was a month before I heard anything and that was because I reached out to them.

Interview Questions
    • what is your management style?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make an executive decision without a managers consent and why?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Store Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in May 2011.

I talked to someone at a career fair and they told me to apply online. I then was invited to a few jnformational sessions where they chose the interview candidates. I had a two part interview in my college town and then found out a few weeks later that I was invited to the on site interview in NYC. The interview was very simikar ti the first one, just longer. There was two one on one interviews with normal behavioral based questions and then questions based on the assesments we took. The rest was group presentations and group strategy sessiins. It seemed like the culture was a lot of fun. They were very serioux about being yourself and not being fake.

Not able to negotiate