Macy's Store Management Intern Interview Questions

2.7

Store Management Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

2 Interviews, 15 minutes each, one behavioral one case study.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were very nice, friendly phone call.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Tallahassee, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

There is only one interview for Store Management Interns. You first do a 1-on-1 interview and then you have a "coaching" session. In the coaching session they ask you to evaluate an associate performance sheet and decide which associate needs coaching, describe why they need it, and outline a plan on how you would coach them.

Interview Questions

• The most odd question I was asked was: "What other retailers are you looking at?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Knoxville, TN) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial meet & greet with recruiters, followed by formal 2-step interview. Good process and beneficial to any interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Real-life situation in which you evaluate and coach hypothetical employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Went through on-campus recruiting and only had to do one 2-part interview. The first was a case study where you had to analyze 4 different store associates and choose which one you would coach, why, and how. The second part was a basic behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Say you don't believe in opening too many credit cards. How would you sell the Macy's card to customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Pay was hourly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Bloomington, IN) in October 2012.

Interview

Macy's recruited on campus and had positions for sophomores for the in store management position. The application process included an online assessment with a math and "Sometimes, always, never" section. After submitting the application, I heard back with information regarding the interview.

Interview Questions

• It was a case interview, where they gave me the case to look over, and then asked my opinion about what I would do and how I would handle different situations   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

Started with a phone interview. Questions were all behavioral. Tell me about a time when... Next there was a skype interview with another recruiter from Cincinnati. Also, a behavioral type interview. A lot of the same questions. The interviewers just want to check for consistency and get to know the candidates a little more. Finally was a 1:1 interview with a store manager. Make sure to ask the manager more questions than they ask you.

Store Management Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's in October 2009.

Interview

First, they came onto our campus to recruit. You talk to them and submit your resume. Then you go to their information session. After that they pre-select you for interviews. The interview itself consisted of two 30 minutes 1:1 interview. Both of them ask situational and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time in which you communicated an issue, and the message was not received or misunderstood. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Store Management Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied on campus for the internship. I also went to speak with the recruiters at career fairs and dropped off my resume to show that I went. The interview process really starts out with the "Interview Prep Session" the day before the interview. You get a higher chance of getting the position just by showing up to the session--there are many who don't. They also give you hints at how to prepare for your interviews. It is composed of 2 parts: 1) Behavior and 2) Case Interview. The 25 minute behavioral one is simply knowing what you wrote on your resume really well, and be able to apply your accomplishments and skills to the company. E.g., I did x at y, so because of this experience, I can do this for your company... My interviewer was really excited I studied abroad before, so she actually spent 10 minutes of the interview speaking about her experiences. :) The case interview is not like a consulting one. You're given a score charts of 4 sales associates in your department. They have different strengths, weaknesses and sales scores. You have to pick one you want to coach and improve. You are given a scratch piece of paper with the score chart, and have 20 minutes to prepare then 15 to present your case.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question: Why did you pick the employee with the lowest score to mentor when you could have picked an employee with mediocre scores? Wouldn't you see results faster if you work on the mediocre employee?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my location. I made a really strong case for why I had to be assigned to a certain location. However, they usually emphasize to you that they don't make guarantees.

Store Management Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's in February 2012.

Interview

An interview prep night was hosted the night before the interview by the recruiter and four macy's employees who turned out to be interviewers for the next day. They were very kind and helpful, going over what the position would entail and even gave you the format of the interview for the next day. There's two parts of the interview: one case analysis in which you choose to train 1 employee out of 4 given. You have a 10 minute reading period to yourself then the interviewer returns and you make a case of why you chose that particular employee. The second part was a typical behavioral analysis, with questions like "When was a time you had to make a quick decision?".

Application

Interview

The recruiters that I met were very nice and easy to converse with. First, I was asked to walk through my resume. The interview was primarily behavioral questions such as describing a time you had to meet a goal, a time when you made a quick decision, etc. Afterward, there was a coaching exercise in which I got approximately 15 minutes to read a one-page synopsis about the company and selecting one of four employees you want to coach. In the last 5 minutes, it was about giving information on what you key points you got out of the handout and why you picked that employee to coach.