Macy's

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fair Oaks, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

Interview Details – I found the posting on glassdoor (I think) and applied online through their platform. I got an invitation to interview a few hours after submitting my app and chose a day to come interview. I got there in early and waited in a reception room. 15 minutes after my scheduled time, a receptionist told me that the person who was supposed to be interviewing me was not in the office, and told me to come back tomorrow at the same time. I was pretty annoyed, because this was in the early afternoon, and surely they could have figured that out/notified me before I wasted all that time driving out to the mall.

I came back the next day and interviewed with a nice guy from another local Macy's (who knows where the original person went). He was very easy to talk to and I could answer all the questions with examples from my relevant experience. I left feeling good about the interview, but I never received any other emails from Macy's - no rejection, nothing. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't get an offer, because based on my interview experience it seems like a miserable place to work.

Interview Question – describe a time when you faced a challenge while working in a group or team.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Macys contacted me within days of me applying. It was really easy to schedule the interview online. The woman who interviewed me was amazing but the job was just not a fit for me. She was very upfront about it, it was clear she was looking for something different than what I had to offer. I received an email from Macys the following day saying that I did not get the job. I must say the whole experience was really positive. I have applied to another corporate position and never heard anything, Macys was much more professional. I think anyone would rather hear yes or no than be left wondering.

Interview Question – They were very basic interview questions   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details – Online application, telephone interview, efficient application process, but impersonal.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself."
I would prefer pointed questions with an interactive discussion.
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was short as my resume was really detailed. But mostly the questions were the classic questions like: What makes you applying for this job? Why did you left your previous job? What are some of your success? What are your weakness?
The manager just ask some details about my past experiences as visual merchandiser. And what my previous manager would say about me if he would have contacted him.

Interview Question – Why they should hire me?   Answer Question

Saint Charles, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email w/in 24 hrs to schedule an interview. I went in the following day for my interview and after about 20 minutes, the person working the front desk came out and asked me to come back for my interview. She actually did the interview and read all of the questions from a piece of paper (same questions as others had listed here). The job posting was taken down the day before my interview, so I was under the impression the position had been filled when I went to the interview. The following day I received an email stating I had great qualifications, but the position was filled. Judging by other reviewers answers, this must happen a lot with Macy's.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you lead a team and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an e-mail asking to make an interview appointment. The person who interviewed me was very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with power tools?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details – I applied online and was told to schedule an interview. I was coming from out of state (the location was a place I planned on moving to) and took a bus to get there. Due to traffic, what should have been a three hour ride, became four hours, so I was 20 min late to my appointment (and since everything was done online, I had no way of contacting the interviewers). When I arrived, I explained the situation, but they refused to see me and said I had to reschedule online to a different available day. Four hours to see them specially, and they turned me away. Even if it wouldn't have been a huge inconvenience for me to reschedule, I wouldn't have, since they are obviously missing their humanity with all this online stuff.

Interview Question – Why don't you just reschedule on the website?   Answer Question

Ledgewood, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Macy's is fast and easy with communicating job inteview schedules and times! Flexible hours for you to come in and take your interview and also flexible on what day you chose. There was only a one interview preocess but I know Macy's may chose to do more tham one. Interview questions are basic and easy so nothing to be worries about!

Interview Question – Are you afraid of heights and willing to go on extremely high ladders?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details – Typed typical online application, personal face to face interview with visual manager and/or visual boss

Interview Question – Are you okay with lifting heavy weight like 50 lbs   Answer Question

Saugus, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a visual merchandiser position. After a week they emailed me to set up an interview. I met with the visual manager who was extremely nice. She made it very comfortable and it felt more like a conversation then interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult, basic questions about myself. Where do I see myself in 5-10years   Answer Question

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!