Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.1

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

- Applied online through Macy's website. - Was contacted through phone by the Merchandising manager, she asked to set an interview - Interview was short and easy; the manager explained the position and asked a few basic questions

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Canton, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I used to work for Macy's in Arizona, so I was thrilled to have that great experience again. As soon as I applied for the position at Macy's in Canton, Ohio, I was sent a link to schedule an interview time and day. I set it for June 4th, 2015. Before heading to the executive offices, I took a walk around the store and headed to the ladies room. (The stall I was in was completely out of toilet paper, and I didn't realize.) After the bathroom fiasco, I started to the Executive Offices to find nobody back there. I had to go two departments over to find someone to call a manager to see me, though I was only ten minutes early. Another gentleman also had to wait awhile for his interview, too. A lady dressed in black came out and called my name, shook my hand, and invited me back. The first words out of her mouth were, "Well, I've already filled this position, but I wanted to interview you anyway..." I had read about previous comments on how some Macy's stores post the Visual Merchandise position with the intention to fill lesser positions. I didn't think it to be true since my Arizona store interview went great, along with getting the position I desired. But at this one, she offered me just a Merchandising position, at 9 bucks an hour, and 4-10 hours a week. She suggested I take the position since many "current merchandising team members fill this position as a second job". I'm new to town, so I unfortunately had to take it for (some) money to get around. The HR lady I was sent to next, forgot to do the paperwork for the background check while I was there, so now I have to go tomorrow just for that, and then we figure out when to do paperwork on a different day. I just wanted to let others know that this store isn't true to their word. Make sure you ask what they're interviewing you for and know when to say no if it doesn't match your skill level. I hope everyone else has a better experience than I did.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Well I arrived 5 minutes before the interview time, the interviewer was half an hour late. After asking me all the questions, she told me that this position is already filled and are you interested in cosmetic sales which I replied no and she was trying to convince me into it. I think Macy's should be more honest and responsible for the time and commuting expenses of the interviewees!!!

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's (College Station, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an email to schedule an interview. Interviewer was not an HR manager, just a cosmetics manager. Read the interview questions off a piece of paper and wrote them down.

Anonymous Employee in Metairie, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Metairie, LA) in June 2015.

Interview

My expectation of professionalism was not met from an interview. She stopped twice during the interview to answer a text message, addressed her questions concerning the job with judgement in her voice and discussed her personal life during the interview. My past experience was in management and job role was interviewing potential hires. That being said, I would never treat the interviewee with such poor regard during the process. I would also suggest that they train their management on a proper interview process.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to lift up to 50 lbs and climb up to a 12 ft ladder?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Oregon City, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Oregon City, OR).

Interview

Got an email the day after I applied asking me schedule an interview. It was for a week later. Two or three days before the interview I got an email with directions for how to find the HR office, the day before I got an automated call reminding me about my interview. I got super dressed up, rehearsed, printed a portfolio, and showed up 15 min early. I waited for a long time before a woman came out and was pretty much like "Here's the thing, we already filled this position. If you want to apply for the sale associate position, you can, and maybe you can interview again." Then she spent like five minutes asking me about my job experience, to make me feel better I guess. Finally I was excused and able to get away from there before I got upset. They wasted my time over something that could have been fixed with a simple phone call. If you schedule an interview for this position, beware.

Interview Questions

• Would you be interested in a sales associate position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (Kennesaw, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

After reading about other people's experiences with applying for this position , I was prepared going into my interview for someone to tell me this position was filled, not know that I had an appointment, etc. I called the HR office at the store that morning to confirm my appointment since I scheduled it online and never talked to an actual person. I got an answering machine-no one returned my call. When I arrived, I was quickly introduced to the person who was interviewing me. He was friendly and enthusiastic. The interview was very basic-he asked typical questions and we walked around the store so he could show me some of the marketing materials. HOWEVER, he tried to sell me on going to a different store location the entire time-a location that's in a VERY dangerous part of town. He kept telling me what a great fit I would be for that store and that I would be able to work more independently there. He was showing me things around the store in a way that seemed like he was telling me what the other location was having problems with and what I would need to fix over there. I think they were trying to bring in people for interviews at a popular store so they could try and talk them into going to another location that probably isn't receiving many applicants since it's in a dangerous area. Very sketchy!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a co-worker who was doing something dishonest. (Stealing, lying, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The girl that interviewed me was very nice. She asked basic questions like Why Macy's, and basic scenario type questions. Then she asked me to walk through the store and told me to tell her everything I noticed related to visual merchandising. It was a good way to show off my strengths and let her know I know my basic principles of design. I'm still waiting to hear back, so fingers crossed!

Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Mishawaka, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a strict thirty minute timeframe. The manager didn't ask a lot of questions as I have extensive experience. She said I would hear back from them, that she really liked me. I asked her how they would be in touch and she said by phone or email. I have heard nothing. It has been over a month. No answer at her extension when I call or have her paged. While I realize it's not in her hands necessarily she could at least respond to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had exceptional customer service.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Macy's (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contact 4 days later to setup a face to face interview via email. I arrived 15 mins early to the interview. I was a little skeptical about who would be conducting my interview after reading other reviews that said Macy's pulled a bait and switch on what position they interviewed candidates for however I was indeed interviewed for the correct position by the visual manager. He was nice the interview was very laid back. I interviewed three weeks ago for the position and never received a rejection or acceptance. However Macy's contacted me yesterday and asked if I'd be interested in a sales or support position I declined and let HR know that I only had interest in the position in which I interviewed which was "still open" so she said she'd email the manager to let him know I was still intrested.I think Macy's could do better with being up front about there company needs and stop wasting peoples time.