Macy's

2.1

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in January 2015.

Posted job and resume on Macy's site. I was contacted by the AA of the Hiring Manager through email within a day to arrange phone interview which was the following day

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule a interview. There was a slot open for two days later but I was unable to make it so I scheduled it for the following week. When I arrived for the interview, it was a though they had no idea I coming even though I got a email reminding me about my upcoming interview. I was taken to a office for the interview and the hiring manager did not mention what she was interviewing me for. She asked me pretty basic questions and once the interview was finished she mentioned she would have wanted me for the sale floor instead of fitting rooms. I told her I had applied for the visual merchandiser position but she quickly responded with the position has already been filled. The whole interview seemed like a waste of time. If the position had already been filled then they should have let me know through a email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I arrived for the interview and after I was led to a conference room- was told the position I applied for had been filled the previous day. It would have been courteous to let me know this prior to my arrival for the interview. They then tried to sell me on another position I was not interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time I saw a co-worker steal something- and what I did about it.   Answer Question
    • When did I have good customer service and how did I respond.   Answer Question

The position they offered was not what I applied for and paid minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

The process took two weeks. I applied online and received and e-mail inviting me to schedule an interview. I booked the very first interview appt. available. As others have said, the seasonal Visual Merchandiser position was filled before I arrived. I was hired on the spot as a seasonal Recovery Associate instead. The HR rep was very pleasant, but it was a little bit of a let down that the VM job was filled.

Interview Questions
    • If a member of your team is not pulling their weight, what is your response?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I applied online and got an invitation to schedule an appointment and did for the following day. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the smell... it smelled like urine, the carpet was dirty and there were boxes everywhere. The receptionist asked for my name and said I was not on the "list", after ten minutes, she said that Carlos was on his way. Five minutes later a guy came to the reception and grab some papers, said hi Ms. My Name and started walking, I had to assumed that he was Carlos and followed him to his office. He closed the door and ask me to take a sit (chair was dirty), he had candy wrappers everywhere... anyways, after 30 seconds of silence (while he looked at my application) he said, "Yeah no, that's a problem". I said, "I'm sorry?", he said, "your schedule, that's a problem. I'm sorry". End of interview. I wasted my lunch hour to go to this interview. This people don't look at your application beforehand and don't even bother to make any eye contact.
    Very unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

As many others commented- Macy's set up my interview entirely online and when I arrived for my interview, proceeded to interview me for the wrong job. The most apathetic HR person I've ever met asked me questions directly from a wrinkled printout, in a monotone voice, until I figured out she was asking me questions for a position I never applied for. What a waste of time, what a rude HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time I had to work in a group- all the questions are interview 101   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Before my scheduled interview, I received a phone call letting me know that the position had been filled but that I should come in anyway because there were other openings. We discussed a position in sales for wages plus commission. The interviewer was encouraging - telling me that with my qualifications I could move up fast.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

I applied online for a Visual Merchandiser position, and received an email the next day inviting me to schedule an interview through a link they provided. Once at the interview, I had to wait 20 min to be taken back. The receptionist was trying to track down the Visual Manager, but no one knew where she was. Three associates were discussing where she was and saying things like "I have no idea where she is" and "Did she go home already?" Finally, another woman took me back and was a sales lead. She informed me that the Visual Manager had gone home for the day, so she was going to conduct the interview. She asked me strictly sales questions, like "Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?" and things like that. I asked if I would ever have to work at the cash register during a shift and she said no, so I saw no relevance to the Visual Merchandising position I was applying for and the questions she was asking. At the end of the interview, she informed me she wanted me to come back the following day for a second interview with the Visual Manager since she was unable to interview me the first time. I took time off from my current job again the next day and went to the second interview. A woman took me back immediately this time, but the first thing she said was "The Visual Manager is gone for the day. I am the Sales Supervisor but I was the Visual Manager a few years ago, so I know what she is looking for." I instantly was bothered because I wanted the chance to meet with the woman who I would be reporting to. The second interview was geared more towards Visual Merchandising, and she asked me questions about my previous retail jobs and my visual experience. After the interview, I hadn't heard anything for about a week and a half. I called the store and asked to speak with someone about the status of my interview and if the position has been filled yet. The man I spoke to asked if I had received an email regarding the status of the position. I said I did not receive anything yet, and he said "All communication is done via email. Continue to look out for an email" and hung up. A month later I got an email saying that my availability did not correspond with the days and hours needed for the position, therefore I was not chosen for the position. I did not understand because I selected completely open availability on their questionnaire that I filled out when I applied. Overall, the interview process was very unprofessional, unorganized, and severely lacked communication. I was disappointed I did not get the job because I really want to be a Visual Merchandiser, but I don't think I want to work for a company that handles the interview process this poorly.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Macys contacted me within days of me applying. It was really easy to schedule the interview online. The woman who interviewed me was amazing but the job was just not a fit for me. She was very upfront about it, it was clear she was looking for something different than what I had to offer. I received an email from Macys the following day saying that I did not get the job. I must say the whole experience was really positive. I have applied to another corporate position and never heard anything, Macys was much more professional. I think anyone would rather hear yes or no than be left wondering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fair Oaks, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fair Oaks, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's in January 2014.

I found the posting on glassdoor (I think) and applied online through their platform. I got an invitation to interview a few hours after submitting my app and chose a day to come interview. I got there in early and waited in a reception room. 15 minutes after my scheduled time, a receptionist told me that the person who was supposed to be interviewing me was not in the office, and told me to come back tomorrow at the same time. I was pretty annoyed, because this was in the early afternoon, and surely they could have figured that out/notified me before I wasted all that time driving out to the mall.

I came back the next day and interviewed with a nice guy from another local Macy's (who knows where the original person went). He was very easy to talk to and I could answer all the questions with examples from my relevant experience. I left feeling good about the interview, but I never received any other emails from Macy's - no rejection, nothing. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't get an offer, because based on my interview experience it seems like a miserable place to work.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time when you faced a challenge while working in a group or team.   Answer Question