Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The girl that interviewed me was very nice. She asked basic questions like Why Macy's, and basic scenario type questions. Then she asked me to walk through the store and told me to tell her everything I noticed related to visual merchandising. It was a good way to show off my strengths and let her know I know my basic principles of design. I'm still waiting to hear back, so fingers crossed!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

BEWARE OF THE TROLLING AT MACY'S! Save your gas money and time - the jobs they advertise are a trolling scheme.

I got a very rapid response to my job application for Visual Merchandiser full time. No phone contact possible prior to interview. When I got to Macy's half an hour early, an assistant (who looed very unkempt in a shocking way) receives me and tells me the Visual Merchandiser who is supposed to interview me left for the day. I was also told that 18 people had applied for the job - highly unusual and totally unprecedented, said the assistant who looked very nervous. She said that, however, I could interview right then and there for a part time job. I said I am only looking for full time (the job I applied for) and left. Obviously the Visual Merchandising interviewer was present but didn't want to interview anyone for full time.

I have read several (!) reviews on Glassdoor detailing the exact same thing that happened to me today. Don't waste your time or gas money on Macy's.

It is quite obvious that the full time position is not even available in the first place - their ads are just a trolling scheme to get part time people in so they can avoid paying for healt insurance etc.

Interview Questions

• Are you interrsted in a support position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Whitehall, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Whitehall, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the full time Visual Merchandising position and heard back via email within 24 hours asking me to set up an interview through their scheduling website. Today, less than 24 hours before the interview I received a call telling me that the position was filled today - imagine that! - but they'd be happy to have me come interview for a part-time sales associate position.

Having read a bunch of the interview reviews on Glassdoor leading up to my interview with Macy's I saw a lot of complaints of a pattern of bait-and-switch as far as the interviews went. I kind of saw this coming, it seems like this is something they do a lot. It's unprofessional and insulting to offer a potential candidate something so drastically different and below their skill level than the position (I have EIGHT YEARS of retail management and visual merchandising experience!) they applied for. I will not be applying to Macy's again and would not recommend it to anyone else.

Interview Questions

• "We would like to offer you the opportunity to interview instead for a part time sales associate position!"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Raleigh, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Posted job and resume on Macy's site. I was contacted by the AA of the Hiring Manager through email within a day to arrange phone interview which was the following day

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule a interview. There was a slot open for two days later but I was unable to make it so I scheduled it for the following week. When I arrived for the interview, it was a though they had no idea I coming even though I got a email reminding me about my upcoming interview. I was taken to a office for the interview and the hiring manager did not mention what she was interviewing me for. She asked me pretty basic questions and once the interview was finished she mentioned she would have wanted me for the sale floor instead of fitting rooms. I told her I had applied for the visual merchandiser position but she quickly responded with the position has already been filled. The whole interview seemed like a waste of time. If the position had already been filled then they should have let me know through a email.

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Bellingham, WA).

Interview

I arrived for the interview and after I was led to a conference room- was told the position I applied for had been filled the previous day. It would have been courteous to let me know this prior to my arrival for the interview. They then tried to sell me on another position I was not interested in.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time I saw a co-worker steal something- and what I did about it.   Answer Question
    • When did I have good customer service and how did I respond.   Answer Question

The position they offered was not what I applied for and paid minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Erie, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

The process took two weeks. I applied online and received and e-mail inviting me to schedule an interview. I booked the very first interview appt. available. As others have said, the seasonal Visual Merchandiser position was filled before I arrived. I was hired on the spot as a seasonal Recovery Associate instead. The HR rep was very pleasant, but it was a little bit of a let down that the VM job was filled.

Interview Questions

• If a member of your team is not pulling their weight, what is your response?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, take it or leave it

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation to schedule an appointment and did for the following day. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the smell... it smelled like urine, the carpet was dirty and there were boxes everywhere. The receptionist asked for my name and said I was not on the "list", after ten minutes, she said that Carlos was on his way. Five minutes later a guy came to the reception and grab some papers, said hi Ms. My Name and started walking, I had to assumed that he was Carlos and followed him to his office. He closed the door and ask me to take a sit (chair was dirty), he had candy wrappers everywhere... anyways, after 30 seconds of silence (while he looked at my application) he said, "Yeah no, that's a problem". I said, "I'm sorry?", he said, "your schedule, that's a problem. I'm sorry". End of interview. I wasted my lunch hour to go to this interview. This people don't look at your application beforehand and don't even bother to make any eye contact.
    Very unprofessional.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's (Orlando, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

As many others commented- Macy's set up my interview entirely online and when I arrived for my interview, proceeded to interview me for the wrong job. The most apathetic HR person I've ever met asked me questions directly from a wrinkled printout, in a monotone voice, until I figured out she was asking me questions for a position I never applied for. What a waste of time, what a rude HR person.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time I had to work in a group- all the questions are interview 101   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in August 2014.

Interview

Before my scheduled interview, I received a phone call letting me know that the position had been filled but that I should come in anyway because there were other openings. We discussed a position in sales for wages plus commission. The interviewer was encouraging - telling me that with my qualifications I could move up fast.