Mad Science

Relevance Date Difficulty

Science Instructor Interview

Science Instructor
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in May 2013.

Interview Details – It was a group interview that consisted of very easy questions about past experience that you have with kids. They don't care if you have a solid understanding of hard sciences, meaning they will value babysitting experience over chemistry tutoring. They want to know that you can manage a classroom full of hyperactive children. It's an open-floor discussion so take that moment to really stand out and shine.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a child who will not quit misbehaving?   Answer Question

After School Instructor

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Mad Science in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through a Craigslist's ad, got emailed for an interview 2 days after.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty simple, they focus on your experience with kids.   Answer Question

School Program Instructor Interview

School Program Instructor
Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mad Science in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to a local franchise of Mad Science in Springfield, MO. The application was online and pretty basic although it did focus on your experience with children and was a bit more personal than other applications. I was contacted within a few hours although the site had said to expect contact in a day or two if qualified. The phone interview was also basic, again focusing on experience with children and was a bit more personal and casual than others. Once the phone interview was passed I was asked to prepare a 2-5 minute presentation/demonstration that was to be given in a group setting consisting of the owners of the franchise and 3 other applicants. A couple of basic questions (again focusing on personal experience and experience with children were asked of all candidates prior to demonstrations. We all did our presentations and were told we would be contacted about a decision.

Interview Question – I had to answer the first question off the cuff to describe myself in 30 seconds without any time to prepare, which I did.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mad Science in September 2012.

Interview Details – I responded to an ad on Craigslist. They called in a large group of applicants and had us do a demonstration lesson. Based upon that lesson, most of us were called back for training. All questions about salary were deferred until that point. After the first season, less than half of those hired returned to teach another season.

Interview Question – They wanted to know how you would handle a difficult student. This was odd as the people who run the company seem to have no background in education or child development.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They have a printed pay scale: however, they do not adhere to it. They pay $25 per class for the first season and in printed material say they pay $27.50 and $30.00 for seasons 2 and 3. Yet, they do not honor that for season three. They also have summer camp programs, but those are offered to office staff. Weekend birthday parties are also offered. While I requested being considered for these parties, I never received any feedback or response.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mad Science in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call less than a week later to come into the office for a group interview. The "group" ending up just being 2 people, including me, with the interviewer. She talked about Mad Science and we watched a video of various media coverage of local Mad Science instructors. Then she asked each of us about our experience working with children and a few other general questions about our resumes. Each of us then had to pretend we were introducing ourselves to a class and explain the 3 rules of Mad Science (we were given a few minutes to practice).

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. A few days after the interview, I received a call where I was asked if I was still interested in the position and was then offered $30 a class.

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Camp Instructor Interview

Summer Camp Instructor
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in August 2008.

Interview Details – I just remembered this interview process and it boiled my blood so bad I had to go online and post about it. After reading the other interviews posted on here, it occurs to me that what happened to me is not necessarily their routine job interview style. However, I found this company despicable. I cannot imagine any company--even something completely soulless like insurance sales--who would do this:

They corralled 40 people into a room for 1 position. There was ONE position available, but they saw fit to take time out of the busy days of 40 people. One of the women who works for Mad Science even had the audacity to laud her privilege over us, remarking, "This is the fun part, where we get to watch you guys fight for a job."

They really think highly of themselves. Advice to management: Trim down your interview list. It's a part-time job, not a career. Get over yourselves.

Interview Question – There were no questions. They made each person stand up in front of the room for 1 minute. I drove an hour into the city to look like a fool in front of 40 people. I guess the bright side is that it did not last longer than a minute.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer was great. They basically want kids who have their own cars, are free in the afternoons and are ambitious about science. While they do provide training, knowing how to teach kids or any previous experience in a classroom style setting is very important. Besides me, there were 8 other 1:1 interviews and it was at a local fast food place, so pretty casual. However, do try to dress it up a bit, it is an interview so that it shows you are tkaing it seriously.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with teaching kids.   Answer Question
  • If a kid was too shy or was forced to come to the class, how would you make him like it more?   Answer Question
  • If there was a kid who was being talkative during your presentation, how would you handle it?   Answer Question
  • If a kid got hurt during a demonstration, how would you handle that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $25 per class.

Camp Instructor Interview

Camp Instructor
Pennington, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in May 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of having 3 applicants come in simultaneously to meet with the manager of camp instructors. Followed by Q&A about why each applied for the job, and why each would be good for the job. Manager then asked 1 person to pretend to lead a class or activity or song. Essentially the first to respond and most outgoing of the 3 received the job offer.

Interview Question – Show how you would initially establish a relationship with a new class of children on your first day being with them.   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in January 2011.

Interview Details – They interviewed six of us together. We watched a short video about Mad Science, and then we each got asked the same 5-6 questions about why we wanted to work there and why we'd be qualified. At the end we all had to demonstrate how we would present Mad Science's "3 Favors" ("No talking, no touching, and have fun") to a group of students.

Intructor/Presentor - After School Clubs Interview

Intructor/Presentor - After School Clubs
London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Mad Science in December 2011.

Interview Details – They were very casual. Made me feel very comfortable. They want somone who dives as when you work you have these big boxes of apparatus so you cant take them in a train. so 1st Q. why Mad science 2. how would you involve all ages and gender in your training? 3. How would you involve a person who os not interested in science? 4. why am I fit for Mad science?
They also explained what an employee is expected to work and hours. Pay starts from £25 for 2 hours and increses to even £60 to a 5 hours workshop on a weekened, etc , etc ! and very flexible working hours and a commitement for 8 weeks if doing after school clubs.
Later, they gave me a piece of paer, baloon and stapler and hole puncher and asked me to make and describe it !! this shaked me a bit! but was fine!

Interview Questions

• 1. why Mad science
    2. how would you involve all ages and gender in your training?
      Answer Question
  • 3. How would you involve a person who os not interested in science?
    4. why am I fit for Mad science?
      Answer Question

Worked for Mad Science? Contribute to the Community!