Mad Science

2.4

School Program Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mad Science in January 2014.

I applied to a local franchise of Mad Science in Springfield, MO. The application was online and pretty basic although it did focus on your experience with children and was a bit more personal than other applications. I was contacted within a few hours although the site had said to expect contact in a day or two if qualified. The phone interview was also basic, again focusing on experience with children and was a bit more personal and casual than others. Once the phone interview was passed I was asked to prepare a 2-5 minute presentation/demonstration that was to be given in a group setting consisting of the owners of the franchise and 3 other applicants. A couple of basic questions (again focusing on personal experience and experience with children were asked of all candidates prior to demonstrations. We all did our presentations and were told we would be contacted about a decision.

Interview Questions
    • I had to answer the first question off the cuff to describe myself in 30 seconds without any time to prepare, which I did.   Answer Question

After School Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mad Science in January 2014.

Applied through a Craigslist's ad, got emailed for an interview 2 days after.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty simple, they focus on your experience with kids.   Answer Question

Science Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in May 2013.

It was a group interview that consisted of very easy questions about past experience that you have with kids. They don't care if you have a solid understanding of hard sciences, meaning they will value babysitting experience over chemistry tutoring. They want to know that you can manage a classroom full of hyperactive children. It's an open-floor discussion so take that moment to really stand out and shine.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a child who will not quit misbehaving?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mad Science in January 2013.

I applied online and received a phone call less than a week later to come into the office for a group interview. The "group" ending up just being 2 people, including me, with the interviewer. She talked about Mad Science and we watched a video of various media coverage of local Mad Science instructors. Then she asked each of us about our experience working with children and a few other general questions about our resumes. Each of us then had to pretend we were introducing ourselves to a class and explain the 3 rules of Mad Science (we were given a few minutes to practice).

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. A few days after the interview, I received a call where I was asked if I was still interested in the position and was then offered $30 a class.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mad Science in September 2012.

I responded to an ad on Craigslist. They called in a large group of applicants and had us do a demonstration lesson. Based upon that lesson, most of us were called back for training. All questions about salary were deferred until that point. After the first season, less than half of those hired returned to teach another season.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know how you would handle a difficult student. This was odd as the people who run the company seem to have no background in education or child development.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation. They have a printed pay scale: however, they do not adhere to it. They pay $25 per class for the first season and in printed material say they pay $27.50 and $30.00 for seasons 2 and 3. Yet, they do not honor that for season three. They also have summer camp programs, but those are offered to office staff. Weekend birthday parties are also offered. While I requested being considered for these parties, I never received any feedback or response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in October 2011.

The interviewer was great. They basically want kids who have their own cars, are free in the afternoons and are ambitious about science. While they do provide training, knowing how to teach kids or any previous experience in a classroom style setting is very important. Besides me, there were 8 other 1:1 interviews and it was at a local fast food place, so pretty casual. However, do try to dress it up a bit, it is an interview so that it shows you are tkaing it seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience with teaching kids.   Answer Question
    • If a kid was too shy or was forced to come to the class, how would you make him like it more?   Answer Question
    • If there was a kid who was being talkative during your presentation, how would you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If a kid got hurt during a demonstration, how would you handle that?   Answer Question
    $25 per class.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in January 2011.

They interviewed six of us together. We watched a short video about Mad Science, and then we each got asked the same 5-6 questions about why we wanted to work there and why we'd be qualified. At the end we all had to demonstrate how we would present Mad Science's "3 Favors" ("No talking, no touching, and have fun") to a group of students.

Camp Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in May 2009.

The interview consisted of having 3 applicants come in simultaneously to meet with the manager of camp instructors. Followed by Q&A about why each applied for the job, and why each would be good for the job. Manager then asked 1 person to pretend to lead a class or activity or song. Essentially the first to respond and most outgoing of the 3 received the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Show how you would initially establish a relationship with a new class of children on your first day being with them.   Answer Question

Summer Camp Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in August 2008.

I just remembered this interview process and it boiled my blood so bad I had to go online and post about it. After reading the other interviews posted on here, it occurs to me that what happened to me is not necessarily their routine job interview style. However, I found this company despicable. I cannot imagine any company--even something completely soulless like insurance sales--who would do this:

They corralled 40 people into a room for 1 position. There was ONE position available, but they saw fit to take time out of the busy days of 40 people. One of the women who works for Mad Science even had the audacity to laud her privilege over us, remarking, "This is the fun part, where we get to watch you guys fight for a job."

They really think highly of themselves. Advice to management: Trim down your interview list. It's a part-time job, not a career. Get over yourselves.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions. They made each person stand up in front of the room for 1 minute. I drove an hour into the city to look like a fool in front of 40 people. I guess the bright side is that it did not last longer than a minute.   Answer Question

Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mad Science in December 2011.

The interview was supposed to be a group interview (my particular interview was supposed to have 3 people including myself), however the other applicants did not show up, so I ended up having a one-on-one interview. So, I am unsure if the interview would have been different had it been in a group format. I suspect it would be mostly the same, except that all the candidates would be asked the questions, and you wouldn't have as long to answer the questions. For the record.... if you aren't going to show up, call first!

It was fairly casual, and I felt very at ease with the interviewer. Present yourself as outgoing and enthusiastic right from the beginning and it will give the right impression. They ask you to prepare a short (2-3 minutes) demonstration where you bring in a science experiment and explain/present it as if you were explaining it to children. She asked me to do the little presentation somewhere in the middle of the interview. They will also give you some time to set up your experiment if you need it.

Just another note-- maybe avoid bringing vinegar and baking soda for your interview demonstration... they have seen that one a million times! However, the demonstration is more about how you present yourself and explain the material, rather than the experiment itself, since in the actual job they provide everything for you.

I believe there are 4 training sessions you have to attend after you are hired to learn the job (if I remember correctly there's an orientation, general training, birthday party training, and class management training), which you are paid for.

Another note... as far as I know, they will not accept employees who have worked for Little Ray's/Radical Science, as they are in direct competition.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience working with kids?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?   Answer Question
    • What do you think are characteristics of a good animator?   Answer Question
    • A couple scenario type questions. Mine were: What would you do if you were doing a birthday party, and one kid kept talking/yelling out answers without putting up his hand? What would you do if you were presenting at a school and realized you forgot a beaker for one of your demonstrations once you arrived?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Mad Science?
      What do you think makes you better suited for this job over other candidates?

Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate anything, but I suspect it is pretty non-negotiable since they are a large company with fairly universal policies. The pay is $20 for every 1 hour long (approx) class you teach. They also pay an additional $5 for each class, since you are using your own vehicle. You do not get paid for any preparation/set-up/clean-up surrounding each class... you earn a flat $25 (travel included) for every class you teach. If you need to drive further than 42km (round-trip) to get to a class, they will pay you additional money for the extra gas and time (I think she said about $0.21 per additional km).

The training sessions are paid by the hour (minimum wage).