Madewell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Madewell.

I was given an application in person, and submitted it a weekslater. Upon doing so I was phoned a week later, and an interview was set up for later in the same week. I was told I got the job a week later, and had training a week after that.

Sales Support Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Madewell in September 2014.

I was called back a month after I turned my application in. The interview was easy and about as expected. Very predictable questions. They asked about my style and what my availability would be. They stressed the importance of hiring sales associates that would be willing to stay awhile versus hiring temporary/seasonal employees.

Interview Questions
    • What makes sales different from customer service? How do they go hand in hand?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Madewell in September 2014.

I visited the store and filled out an application, which I submitted along with my resume. The assistant manager scheduled an interview on the spot for the following week. The interview was at a Starbucks near the store. The manager I met with was easy to talk with, and the interview was very conversational. I was asked to tell her about myself and my experience. She asked what I was looking for regarding hours. She explained to me that employees start part time as "sales support" and then had an opportunity to advance from there. At the end of the interview, I filled out a background check form and was told that I could expect a job offer within a few days.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. The interview was very conversational and standard for retail experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Madewell.

The hiring process was quick and efficient. I had a 1-1 interview with the store manager and was asked pretty basic questions about how I handle certain situations with different people. Make sure to dress the part!

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions and lots of questions about my previous work experience!   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Madewell in August 2014.

I inquired about a new store opening and received an email back. She then called me and we scheduled an interview for two days later. I did my research on the company and on the questions that they typically asked. I bought a new outfit and walked in feeling confident. I was early as well. The girl interviewing me was wearing sweatpants, was inconsiderately e-mailing while I was sitting there, and proceeded to ask me two questions that I would not believe helped her get to know me or my customer service skills at all. Feel so upset about the time I spent preparing for such a carelessly done interview!

Sales Associate Interview

lots of interviews and there is a background check, thorough interview process, questions are normal for retail hiring - basic about customer service, interest in the company, plans for the future, how you think you are a good fit for the brand

Part Time Sales Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Madewell.

I was called an d a meeting was scheduled for the next day. I met with the manager who was very kind. I arrived a little early, and then we had a one on one interview. He asked me about myself and why aI had interest in the company. After about fifteen minutes, I filled out a background check and was told to expect a call in a week at most. I was called back the next day and offered a position

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Madewell.

I picked up an application in store, and returned it the next day. About 3 days letter I received an e-mail from the manager of Madewell asking me if I would like to meet for an interview; we met later that week. A lot of questions about fashion: Do you follow fashion? What fashion bloggers do you follow? Who do you think are Madewell's biggest competitors? What is the ideal Madewell girl like? If you could choose from any celebrities, who do you think would be the ideal Madewell spokesperson? And a few questions about the retail/customer service experience: Describe what you did at previous retail positions. Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you resolve it? What stores, aside from Madewell, do you think go above and beyond for customer service? Why? What made you apply to Madewell? Also questions about your career plans - seemed to like people that want to stay/grow with the company. The manager then had me fill out a background check information sheet, and we schedule a second interview for the following week to meet with the district manager. The district manager asked pretty much all the same questions. The district manager, and I then reconvened with the store manager and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you resolve it?   View Answer
    Was asked how much I was looking for, and I mentioned previous starting salaries I have received in comparable retail stores, but said I could negotiate. Offered me a comparable hourly rate and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Madewell in May 2014.

I applied in-store and scheduled an interview for two weeks out that day. When I came in for my interview, I met with the store manager. She asked me questions about my previous retail experience, where I saw myself working as part of the team (stylist or sales associate), who Madewell's competitors were, etc. I thought the interview went well, but I received a letter about two weeks later saying they were not going forward with my application.

Sales Associate Interview

Informal interview with store manager. She made me feel very comfortable. Asked about my previous retail experience, and other pretty simple questions.