Madewell Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madewell.

Interview

Go into the store to fill out an application is the best way. It is a pretty fast call back for the most part. There really isn't much to the training, possibly about three days. It is very laid back and very easy during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Madewell (Bellevue, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth! I applied in-store and got a call right away from the manager to interview a few days later. We hit it off right away and she made me feel at ease chatting outside of the store. Two days later, I interviewed with the assistant manager who was also nice. I got another job offer that had more hours and had to end this interview process before hearing about an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the Madewell girl like?   Answer Question
    • Who are our competitors?   1 Answer
    • Where/whom do you get your style inspiration from?   1 Answer
    • Why Madewell?   1 Answer
    • What is good customer service? What are other companies that exemplify this?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Madewell (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I filled out an in-person application and that day I was scheduled for an interview at the same time. It was scheduled for later that week, and it was about an hour long. And then I was hired with a phone call the following day, where we briefly spoke about compensation.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my former employment and what I thought of the company, I was familiar with a lot of their policies already. And I was asked to Tell me a little bit about yourself... I was asked silly questions to gauge my personality like what my favorite designer is and what art I like.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for 12 dollars in person during the interview, and they replied with okay. And then when I was offered the job I was told that they could only offer me 11.50 an hour. I felt that this was a cheap way paying me less, but quickly telling me over the phone.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madewell (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Fill out an application, short interview, background check afterwards. in total, the process took around 1 month or so. not very difficult, interview with a manager, usually for the sales support position but you can ask about the stylist positions. afterwards, they will do an extensive training session about the values of the company, your expected work commitment, and etc,

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work with a boss you didn't get along with.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Madewell.

Interview

I got an application in-store, filled it out and brought it back the next day. The HR manager asked me a few basic questions and to come back in a couple hours for an interview. We sat at a nearby food court and she asked me general questions about my qualifications. Since I'd never worked retail, she mainly asked how my former experience will benefit me at Madewell, how my personality and style fit with the brand, and which position I thought I might excel at. After the initial interview, I got a call that same evening to come back for a second interview in a few days. My second interview was shorter, with another manager who asked me almost the same questions, pretty much getting to know me and my job experience. I filled out a background check and was told that it'll take about a week to come back, and if it didn't to give them a call. I called a week later and they were still waiting on the background check, but told me to check back in a few days. I received a call two days later with a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Madewell (Detroit, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Still waiting for my Interview. Need to do this in order to unlock the other interviews. Will write the whole process once I go thru the whole interview process. This doesn't work if you can't see what you are looking for. Hope this works now that I did this.

Sales Support Interview

Interview

came in one day and gave in my resume. got called back for interview. sat in a table in the food court, spoke. Asked me basic questions about fashion, work experience, my favorite designers, customer service. Simple stuff like that. Asked me my hour availability, I got a call back in a few days. I was in highschool at the time.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madewell.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by a sit-down interview with the store director, and a third interview with the regional manager. Each person that I spoke with was very nice and open. The overall experience was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the questions to be particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

I was at a higher position in my present company and wanted a more challenging job title.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Madewell.

Interview

I got a call to come in for an interview. It was very casual and conversational. There was a lot of focus on customer service experience. Once hired went to orientation for a day and learned a lot about the company and it's philosophy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madewell in November 2014.

Interview

Took about a week. I interviewed with both managers and it was pretty casual. They asked if I was familiar with their customer satisfaction policies and what I would do if a customer felt she looked bad (or if they didn't say so and what they tried on didn't suit them) and how I would handle the situation. They also wanted to know if I was aware of their competitors.