Madison Street Capital

Updated Aug 13, 2014

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Madison Street Capital

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madison Street Capital.

I applied online through Craigslist and then got an email back stating that there would be an event at the company in a few days in which other candidates would be present to speak with employees of the firm. It was basically a panel interview where everyone mingled and then if they liked you they would ask for a resume. Once I gave my resume, I was offered a 1:1 interview a couple days later where they pretty much gave me the job immediately. Standard behavioral questions with some looking at my resume and why I wanted to work there.

Research Analyst/Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madison Street Capital in July 2012.

It was a 3-day process. The 1st was a short/simple interview with a Manager. He was very nice and it was just a few questions to try to feel me out. I got a call a few hours later that I was invited back for an interview/training that lasts 2 days. 7 hours 1 day, and 5 the next, with a Senior Sales Manger.

The training/interview starts out as classroom work. Listening to company culture, details of what they expect of you, what you can expect from them, taking notes, etc. They put you on the spot a lot. Ask you questions then stare at you and ask 'why' ?? Why ?? What did you mean ?? They ask personal questions to try to get a rise out of you. They asked an overweight person I was being interviewed with why he felt he was overweight and was he trying to lose weight. Very surprising question during an interview, but they had a point. They are gauging your reaction and seeing if you can keep your head. How you think on your feet, how you deal with criticism. Quick thinking and thick-skin, both qualities you need to be working the phones all day like they have you do at MSC. They will also expect you to study and memorize much of the booklet and notes they give you. If you made no effort at memorizing it they will know and you will be asked to leave.

The next day, if you make it, is a training session. Watching/listening to others doing the job. Making phone calls to see how you do. I was then offered the job on the spot and started the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • They ask personal, sometimes offensive, questions to try to get a rise out of you. Don't be offended, just answer honestly. They are looking for thick-skinned people who can work the phones and won't be upset if someone is rude to them.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. If you have sales experience then you may be able to get a lil more money.

Research Associate Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Madison Street Capital in April 2011.

phone interview, followed by a couple of face-to-face

Interview Questions
    • They have a confrontational interview style. They randomly question a minute detail and act as though your answer is not enough. They always ask "why" until it gets to the point that your answer is irreducible, yet they continue asking "why?". I encourage you to ask them questions and ensure you get an answer. They are very good at dodging questions or providing vague answers and answering with a question.   Answer Question
    They have a boilerplate offer for entry-level, almost entirely commission-based for Research Associates in the business development group. True(r) Analyst positions are not much better.