Madison Tyler Holdings Interview Questions

3.6

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

They ask difficult questions, I think they're looking for those freak genius types that can answer any brainteaser on the spot - only hire Caltech/Harvard/BYU people from what I can tell.

Sent in my resume through their website, received an email asking for a phone interview. The HR person forgot to send me the interview confirmation, but that's not a huge deal as we had already agreed on a time.

1st round wasn't too tough - the clock hands questions, plus some others described below. Interviewer was very nice and gave compliments on my quick solutions.

2nd round was ok until the second question, which I struggled with greatly. The interviewer was very patient and nice in helping me work out the solution, which took me over 30 minutes since I felt kind of stuck. As soon as we got the correct answer he said "thanks for calling, we'll be in touch" and hung up. I could tell he was amused by how long it took me to get the answer. (FYI this question is the chessboard one below). I haven't officially heard back yet but there's no way they'll want to fly someone out if it takes so long to get a solution at the phone interview stage.

Interview Questions

• Let's say I have 50 coins in my hand, that add up to a dollar. One falls out. What is the chance that it is a penny?   1 Answer
    • We play a game. You flip two coins, if you get both heads I give you $1. If you get both tails you flip again. If you get one of each, I pay you nothing. What's the expected value of this game?   5 Answers
    • Assume its 6:45. What is the angle between the minute and hour hands? When will they next overlap, to the nearest SECOND?   2 Answers
    • How many trailing zeros are there in 1000! (1000 factorial ie 1000 x 999 x 998 .... x 3 x 2 x 1)   3 Answers
    • Assume that on a chessboard, the King piece is on tile E1 (bottom row, 5 columns across). It can move straight forward, forward diagonally to the left, or forward diagonally to the right on each move. How many different paths can it take to get to tile E8 (top row, five columns across) in exactly 7 moves?   4 Answers

FPGA Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

They saw my resume and contacted me for an FPGA position. Got a 10 minute chat with one guy who did not ask me many questions and gave me a quick briefing : they basically use low latency trading with the capital of some billionaire founder of the company. He gave me a quick overview of the company perks : free Yoga and Karate lesson, very competitive remuneration (no numbers), ending with "our work hours are 6am to 6pm, do you have a problem with that?" I had to make him repeat, I tried to see if there was any flexibility like remote working, but the answer was "no, but we don't work on the week-ends" - right.
    Since they are located in an expensive area, and you’re gonna spend 12h at work, you better have a short commute, so the cost of housing will be very high in an area where the bubble hasn’t deflated much yet. Also, in my personal view, to the question how does this type of job improves the world?, it ranks pretty deep in the negative.
    Anyway, at the end of the phone conversation, he told he would send me a link to take a 1h45 online quiz with about 15 questions.
    The day after I started the quiz which is a cookie cutter software engineer interview questions. Everything would have gone well if I actually was SW engineer, but since I am an HW / FPGA engineer it didn't go that well... I believe every question was in stackoverflow.com. So anybody who spends one day on the classic SW interview question should do OK, plus you can always google while taking the quiz.
    Since I didn't answer more than 2/3 of the questions, they didn't bother contacting me.

Interview Questions

• what is the angle between the 2 hands at 5:15?
      what time will it be the next time the 2 hands coincide to the nearest minute?

3 Answers
    • write an algorithm to find 2 repeated number in an array
      a) optimized for speed b)optimized for memory c) give the O notation for the 2 solutions

Answer Question
    • 1)write an algorithm to find 2 repeated number in an array

2)write an algorithm to sort a large amount of data.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

General HR questions. The interviewer is silent most of the time. Called half an hour late.

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

General HR questions followed by probability brain teasers. The asked the same questions posted on the forums by previous applicants. If you want to be prepared just figure out the answers before your interview and memorize them. They weren't interested in how the problems were solved just that you spat out the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• How many degrees are between the hour and minute hand on an analog clock when it is 5:15?   6 Answers

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Several phone interviews with two team members I would have been working closely with. After those went well, was flown out to have full day of interviews in the main office.
    Interviewed in person by HR rep, Technical Lead, and Co-CEO. Was offered lunch, desert, coffee, you name it. Received tour of office. Received offer before leaving.

Interview Questions

• If a clock's hands were at 4 and 8, how many degrees is that?   1 Answer

Did some digging and found out the company was actually dishonest in answering some of my questions which caused me to question their reliability and integrity.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

2 phone screening interviews: one non-technical, another one technical.
    2 on-site interviews. The first one lasted close to 5 hrs., during which I was repeatedly left alone in the conference room for 20-30 min. waiting for the next interviewer.
    Th final interview was with the co-founder and CEO

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I submitted a resume to a recruiter after seeing an ad on our career center's electronic job board and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days.

The phone interview was done while I was at a museum, in fact. The interviewer asked a couple of prepared math questions and then a more in-depth probability question. He was impressed because I was able to do the first two questions in my head, but I did so badly on the probability question that he wanted me to call him so he could ask another. I called him back and did poorly on the second question, but after emailing him the correct solution, I was invited onsite. (It helped to live within a 10-mile radius of the office!)

When I arrived, I filled out their application but was stopped in the middle of it so the interview could begin. There was an IQ-type test (which I did well on) and then an LSAT-type test...I only answered one question correctly on the LSAT exam, but the interview kept going. The director had me go through my resume and it seemed to him my background was not a fit. Nevertheless, we pushed on and I was given a probability question by a trader who was in his 5th year with the company. I spent about 20 minutes ferociously defending my wrong answer before he interrupted and showed me how to get the right answer with simple arithmetic. Surprisingly enough, he said I was intelligent enough to work there. However, after learning about the time commitment (12-13 hours/day x 5-6 days) and the nature of the work, I decided I'd only be interested in the money and not the work itself. After telling the interviewer that I couldn't see myself doing the work, we decided to end it and I left.

Interview Questions

• You have two dice What is the probability of rolling a "3" total before rolling a "7" total?   3 Answers
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview started with an IQ test, and then an info session. They explained about the basic facts about the company and the and the job functions. Then they gave some basic brain teaser questions with a few other students.

Summer Trading Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I met this company at my school's career fair. They called me soon after to schedule a group interview at my school. They asked us (as a group) to do questions individually, as well as an intelligence test. The next round was at their office in Beverly Hills, CA.

The intelligence test was mostly pattern recognition, very similar to an IQ test. The brain teaser questions were standard questions asked at many other trading firms.

Interview Questions

• How much distance is their between the hour and minute hand at 5:12?   3 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Met recruiter at college career fair.
    Invited for the interview 4 weeks later.

Took a 30 minute IQ test. Pattern recognition / logic
    Followed by an HR-type interview, basically walking through the resume.
    Had a group interview, did 6 probability questions.

Met with two traders separarely, each time had to answer 2 probability questions + resume/behavioral questions

Met with the head trader. Again 2 probability questions, but more behavioral/stress interview questions.